Does Asuka die?

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Super Lilim [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Super Lilim [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:47 am

This may be a silly question but does Asuka ever actually die in the end of eva? I mean I know her eva gets shredded, but did the plug get distroyed. Im confused because she never got a visit from miss Ayanami like everyone else did whe they died. Was she still alive while all the instramentality mess was going on. Would have been pretty painful with her arm split in half.
Does anyone know why she didnt see Rei?

Originally posted on: 20-Sep-2004, 15:47 GMT

pionj [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby pionj [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:51 am

My assumption would be that yes she did die from the injuries sustained in her eva. Something I noticed was when her eva was hit with the Lance of Longinus in the face her body also showed the same injuries. As to why she didn't see Rei is beyond me. Maybe they just cut out the scene or just didn't bother to animate it. I'll have to watch the movie again to see if I catch anything else. I'm sure someone else can give you a better explanation who has the watched the series more recently.

Originally posted on: 20-Sep-2004, 15:57 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:51 am

pionj wrote:My assumption would be that yes she did die from the injuries sustained in her eva. Something I noticed was when her eva was hit with the Lance of Longinus in the face her body also showed the same injuries.

Well, not exactly "same". EVA-02's skull was pierced fourfold (none of her eyes actually being injured), and Asuka's left eye started bleeding. I personally find it kind of odd that nothing happened to the back of Asuka's head...

But, yeah, Asuka did die, and anyone who tells you otherwise is a LIAR! Since all of the replica Spear (not Lance, BTW...) injuries manifested in Asuka, and they killed EVA-02, it would be silly to assume that Asuka was not killed, as well. Even if she didn't die that way, EVA-02's core would have needed to be pierced in order for her to die (as she did), and the entry plug is partly inside the core. Even if Asuka somehow managed to survive on both those counts, there is STILL the ugly matter of EVA-02 being dismembered, partially eaten, and dropped onto the Geofront from, like, really high up.

Still, it was Kyoko's wish that she and Asuka die together, no? It's probably safest to assume that her wish came true.

Originally posted on: 20-Sep-2004, 16:20 GMT

Fantasy8900 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fantasy8900 [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:52 am

I'm pretty sure Asuka died. Image

The reason Rei doesn't "visit" her is probably because she was so torn up by the Eva Series. Rei didn't like her anyway. Image

Originally posted on: 20-Sep-2004, 16:44 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:52 am

Reichu wrote:Well, not exactly "same". EVA-02's skull was pierced fourfold (none of her eyes actually being injured), and Asuka's left eye started bleeding. I personally find it kind of odd that nothing happened to the back of Asuka's head...

But, yeah, Asuka did die, and anyone who tells you otherwise is a LIAR! Since all of the replica Spear (not Lance, BTW...) injuries manifested in Asuka, and they killed EVA-02, it would be silly to assume that Asuka was not killed, as well. Even if she didn't die that way, EVA-02's core would have needed to be pierced in order for her to die (as she did), and the entry plug is partly inside the core. Even if Asuka somehow managed to survive on both those counts, there is STILL the ugly matter of EVA-02 being dismembered, partially eaten, and dropped onto the Geofront from, like, really high up.

Still, it was Kyoko's wish that she and Asuka die together, no? It's probably safest to assume that her wish came true.
While I can't argue with any of that (and indeed, I could add that whatever was left of Asuka and EVA-02 was at ground-zero for that gigantic explosion that the EVA Series used to excavate the Black Moon), I can't get away from the idea that Anno was trying to tell us something by the fact that we don't see Rei appear to Asuka as she dies, nor do we see her turn to Tang during 3I. Of the five participants in Shinji's "Pre-3I" Complementation sequence, we see Rei appear by Misato and Ritsuko as they die; apparently she is serving as a 'medium' to connect their minds to the process, while Shinji, of course, is Tangified within the entry plug, and Rei is, well, a giant white deity at this point, who is sort of making all this happen. That leaves Asuka; is she there because Rei appeared to her as she died, like Misato and Ritsuko? If so, why doesn't Anno show it? Or is her presence to be accounted for in a way somewhat like what's going on with Shinji, i.e. Tangification within her entry plug due to hyper-synchronization right at the moment that the Harpies finish EVA-02 off? I'm not trying to argue that she didn't 'die', just that she died under very unique circumstances...

Originally posted on: 20-Sep-2004, 17:41 GMT

MagicianCamille [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MagicianCamille [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:53 am

My theory on Rei: She is a Grim Reaper. She extracts souls before their host body dies.

Originally posted on: 20-Sep-2004, 17:48 GMT

Super Lilim [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Super Lilim [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:53 am

Yeah, I definatly agree Anno was trying to say something by not giving Asuka a "Rei vision" in the end.Maybe some kind of hint about the ending? Every other eva character, even minors like Aoba, saw her so why only leave Asuka out? I doubt they just didnt bother to animate it because it seemed like such a significant thing with the reat of the characters.
I agree that its pretty unlikely she could have survived with all that mangling.I wonder who she would have seen in her "Rei vision" if she'd had one?

Originally posted on: 20-Sep-2004, 19:19 GMT

yangster [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby yangster [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:53 am

Basically everybody in the Evangelion world probably died including Shinji because Asuka dies and there is no way to reproduce and plus the Earth is destroyed or mostly destroyed.

Originally posted on: 20-Sep-2004, 21:57 GMT

Treize X [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Treize X [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:53 am

Hmmm....I was under the impression Shinji and Asuka survived, mostly because the last scene showed Shinji choking her, and he stopped, realizing she was alive or something...she had the last line in EoE too.

Maybe I'm mistaken....

Originally posted on: 20-Sep-2004, 22:27 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:53 am

Shin-seiki, referring to what you said... How does Asuka being Tang-ified in the plug and not being seen visited by Rei at ALL (unlike Misato and Ritsuko, whom she visits twice) account for her presence in the pre-3I Instrumentality sequence? To my mind, the only thing it would explain is why we don't see Rei melt her down, but not how her soul would get connected to Shinji's... (Gah! The ellipses again!)

Treize X: Asuka did die, but she "got better" by the end of the film. Image

Originally posted on: 20-Sep-2004, 23:09 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:53 am

MagicianCamille wrote:My theory on Rei: She is a Grim Reaper. She extracts souls before their host body dies.

I sometimes wonder why you visit this forum...

Anyways Rei appears to many people after they are dead and Tangafies them. Some think its only the living and recently dead. Most don't think she tangafied graveyards.

I also like AWL's description of "Blue haired harbringer of death"

Originally posted on: 20-Sep-2004, 23:18 GMT

Treize X [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Ah...that clarifies a few things....

*wonders how Asuka came back, then decides it's too much work figuring out*

...Oh, BTW-sending you a PM, Reichu...

Originally posted on: 20-Sep-2004, 23:19 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Treize X wrote:*wonders how Asuka came back, then decides it's too much work figuring out*

Not really -- they tell you right in the bloody film!

Rei:
Anyone can return to human form as long as they can imagine themselves
in their own heart.

Yui (voice):
Don't worry.
All living things have the ability to return to their original form... and the heart to go on living.
Anywhere can be heaven as long as you have the will to live.

Originally posted on: 20-Sep-2004, 23:23 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:53 am

Damn I wanted to say that. Your fast Reichu....

Originally posted on: 20-Sep-2004, 23:23 GMT

Treize X [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

...I gotta go and watch it again tonight....

Need to refresh my memory, basically. I feel stupid now...LOL.

Originally posted on: 20-Sep-2004, 23:25 GMT

Ark [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ark [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:53 am

So basically Shinji and Asuka are the only two people on the planet who can imagine themselves in their own heart and they just happen to know eachother.

Originally posted on: 21-Sep-2004, 00:58 GMT

Knives [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Knives [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:53 am

Ark wrote:So basically Shinji and Asuka are the only two people on the planet who can imagine themselves in their own heart and they just happen to know eachother.

Amazing coincidence, eh?

... Personally ... I prefer the TV ending so much more than the movie ending.

Originally posted on: 21-Sep-2004, 00:59 GMT

Ark [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ark [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:53 am

Knives wrote:Amazing coincidence, eh?

... Personally ... I prefer the TV ending so much more than the movie ending.

I wouldn't go that far.

Originally posted on: 21-Sep-2004, 01:02 GMT

Knives [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Knives [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:53 am

I've always felt the TV ending made more sense Image ... what? I have.

Originally posted on: 21-Sep-2004, 01:14 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Ark wrote:So basically Shinji and Asuka are the only two people on the planet who can imagine themselves in their own heart and they just happen to know eachother.

That's only assuming that everyone on the planet has to reappear on the same creepy beach.

Originally posted on: 21-Sep-2004, 01:59 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”