S2 Engine expirement. Pilot?

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Knives [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Knives [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:37 am

I didn't say the all the Evas had S^2's. What I'm suggesting is that in the Angels, that's the most likely place for such a vital "organ" as it's sometimes referred to, to be placed

As for the Evas being attacked in the same location, it's possible to assume that their energy supply is still somehow routed through the core (through some "thing" in the core, perhaps not a self-sustaining S^2 type engine/organ), given that the entry plug connects to the core, and the entry plug is surely connected to the external power.

It's entirely possible, and the more likely given the way physical bodies are designed.

Originally posted on: 15-Sep-2004, 08:46 GMT

Melchoir1441 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Melchoir1441 [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:37 am

Keisuke-kun wrote:I think they used a dummy plug in the test....Maybe.

Impossible. The only existing dummy-plugs at the time were nearing completion at NERV HQ back in Tokyo-3.

Originally posted on: 14-Sep-2004, 21:01 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:37 am

Knives wrote:I didn't say the all the Evas had S^2's. What I'm suggesting is that in the Angels, that's the most likely place for such a vital "organ" as it's sometimes referred to, to be placed

I know you didn't. But the Evas are the same type of lifeform as the Angels -- the core serves the same essential purpose in both, to house the soul. Since the Destruction of Core --> Death connection exists in S2-less Evas, this seems to imply that both Evas and Angels that die via destruction of their core do so for reasons independent of whether the S2 is destroyed or not. It might be a simple matter of the soul being 'set free' (if the container is destroyed, that would be the logical result) -- and, as Keisuke-kun already said, without souls these entities are just bodies, lacking true life.

As for the Evas being attacked in the same location, it's possible to assume that their energy supply is still somehow routed through the core (through some "thing" in the core, perhaps not a self-sustaining S^2 type engine/organ), given that the entry plug connects to the core, and the entry plug is surely connected to the external power.

I'm not quite sure I follow... Why is it important whether or not external power is "routed" through the core? The core itself is just an extremely versatile container; I wouldn't suspect it requires external energy to function the same way that body cells do, especially since the soul is able to produce some energy of its own accord anyway.

Originally posted on: 14-Sep-2004, 21:04 GMT

Knives [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

I'm not quite sure I follow... Why is it important whether or not external power is "routed" through the core? The core itself is just an extremely versatile container; I wouldn't suspect it requires external energy to function the same way that body cells do, especially since the soul is able to produce some energy of its own accord anyway.

You need to take the two parts into account.
I'm suggesting that there is some fundamental "organ" in the core which serves as a power source for the Eva/Angel (that doesn't negate the possibility of it also being a container for the soul).

In the case of the Angels (and later some Evas), they contain the S^2 which is a self-sustaining energy source.
In the case of the Evas, I'm suggesting that this fundamental organ is powered by the external power supply (or battery pack), much like in the case with victims of terrible accidents who are put on life-support (that is to say, machines that make the organs in the body function properly — without said machines, the organs wouldn't work).

Follow me now?

Originally posted on: 14-Sep-2004, 21:11 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Knives wrote:
Follow me now?

Not really... You're basically introducing a concept that has absolutely no grounds in the series itself, which is perfectly legal when it comes to geeky theorization, except that we ARE looking for the simplest solution, i.e., the one in which we have to pull the least amount of stuff out of our arses. The core is the only "vital organ" we need to be concerned with, and I've already provided a fairly logical explanation for why destroying it causes death.

Originally posted on: 14-Sep-2004, 21:25 GMT

Knives [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:Not really... You're basically introducing a concept that has absolutely no grounds in the series itself, which is perfectly legal when it comes to geeky theorization, except that we ARE looking for the simplest solution, i.e., the one in which we have to pull the least amount of stuff out of our arses. The core is the only "vital organ" we need to be concerned with, and I've already provided a fairly logical explanation for why destroying it causes death.

The core isn't the only "vital" organ. Would you not agree that the Angels would require the S^2 in order to live?

I don't see how my solution is any more complex (or how it's "geeky" for that matter) than the "accepted" view that the S^2 just happens to be in any random position within the Angel (ie. the neck of Zeruel is one that's supposed to be "accepted"). It doesn't make any sort of biological sense that such a vital organ would be placed just anywhere.

The only complexity I can see is perhaps in explaining that scene — how Yui-sama gets the S^2 if it is in the core ... It's been a long time since I've seen it (I just got my DVDs back after a couple months, yet still have no DVD player), so I can't begin to attempt to answer that without speculating.

But even still, with that little complexity, it makes more sense than to say the S^2 resides in some random, unprotected location. There's nothing that suggests the core couldn't contain both a soul and said organ.

And to add to what you've said (or at least address it) — my concept may have no grounds in the series (in so far as it's never stated that "the S^2 is located in the core") ... but that's also the case for your theory that the S^2 is just in some unprotected locale. Furthermore, that's also the case for many other "accepted" theories about the series.
But ... if you insist on some sort of "series-based" clues ... we can always go back to the 4th Angel's core ... in that why would Gendo and the science crew be so much more interested in that core rather than the cores of the Evas they already have. It's not like Gendo hasn't seen one before.

And again ... if you consider the 3rd Angel's self destruct ... doesn't it self-destruct from the core? I'm right in that, aren't I? This would suggest a huge power source located in that position (something like an S^2 engine perhaps?).

Galileo's theory that the earth wasn't the center of the solar system also wasn't "accepted" ... it made things complicated to those who heard it ... that doesn't mean he was wrong about what he had to say (and before you go off complaining that I'm comparing myself to Galileo, I'm not ... I'm just using an example Image ).

Originally posted on: 15-Sep-2004, 02:40 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Knives wrote:The core isn't the only "vital" organ. Would you not agree that the Angels would require the S^2 in order to live?

Lilith apparently got by without it. And it's not as if the Evas that lacks S^2s aren't alive.

the "accepted" view that the S^2 just happens to be in any random position within the Angel (ie. the neck of Zeruel is one that's supposed to be "accepted"). It doesn't make any sort of biological sense that such a vital organ would be placed just anywhere.

Heh, since when did the Angels make biological sense? They vary widely in physical (or whatever) form and they don't even all have cores. The core seems like a good place to keep a S2 overall, and, like I've said, I think that's probably where the Evas and Adam keep theirs...

What you're calling "accepted" is actually just "one or two people proposing it's so", which is kind of different. In Zeruel's case, the show seems to suggest that he does keep it there... How could even the almighty Yui-sama break into his core using nothing but her teeth? The core idea is also kind of inconsistent with the sound effects we here, which imply Yui is working her way through soft tissues... It may also be telling that the last thing Yui does before digging in is pull on Zer's face and narrow her eyes.

And in Shamshel's case, if they did indeed salvage her S^2 and "restore" it, it couldn't have been in the core... After looking at the only part of the core that wasn't totally trashed, Gendo told them to dispose of it.

Originally posted on: 15-Sep-2004, 05:13 GMT

Knives [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Well now we're both in different waters ...
It's true that some of the Angels don't have apparent cores ... (sorry, as big of a fan as I am, I haven't memorized the names yet, so I'm just going to butcher them with descriptions for now). The DNA strand (halo-type) ... the Virus ... and probably a couple others.

But this being the case, it would not only put a "hole" in my theory, but yours as well that the core is "vital" in housing the soul. The two Angels listed above have no apparent core, therefore wouldn't be able to hold a soul — and yet the DNA strand does have a clear consciousness.

In response to your first line ... about Evas that don't have S^2's still being alive.
I agree ... and I pointed out how they are inactive without it ... earlier, my suggestion was that there was some fundamental "organ" (such as what may be considered the "heart") located in the core of the Evas, which received energy from the external power supplies. In the cases of any Eva or Angel with an S^2 (an S^2 is like an upgraded "heart" so to speak), this external power supply is clearly unnecessary.

As for Yui-sama ... speculation would tell me that it is entirely possible that she was able to take the "organ" I've suggested as being present in the Evas' cores and perform her own "upgrade" by absorbing the matter from Zeruel (in much the same way she reconstructed her arm from Zeruel's arm). Given her ability to manipulate Zeruel's matter, this would seem consistent.

I know it sounds far fetched based on your understanding ... but I think it's entirely possible ... and to me, it's the more convincing case Image .

Originally posted on: 15-Sep-2004, 20:28 GMT

Brigitanastasia [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Brigitanastasia [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:37 am

Lilith apparently got by without it. And it's not as if the Evas that lacks S^2s aren't alive.

I got the impression that Lillith was slowly dying without her core, and that her body was very slowly decaying into LCL.

Originally posted on: 24-Oct-2004, 11:18 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:37 am

Brigitanastasia wrote:Quote: Originally Posted by Reichu Lilith apparently got by without it. And it's not as if the Evas that lacks S^2s aren't alive.

I got the impression that Lillith was slowly dying without her core, and that her body was very slowly decaying into LCL.

As far as I am aware, Lilith was slowly regenerating, not decaying. As to where LCL comes from, well, it is her blood, so she wouldn't so much decay into LCL as ... just plain bleed it. Also, I believe that 'got by without it' above refers to the S² and not the core.

I used to believe that the S² organ and the core are are the same thing, when I'd first seen the series. These days, now I've had a chance to really think it through... Too many things just don't make much sense if that is true. Reichu already mentioned Shamshel. Shinji put his prog knife right through the outer shell of Shamshel's Core. It only ever really made sense for the recovered S² to have belonged to Shamshel to me, although technically I know that there were a couple of other angels where the whole or part of the body was recovered. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's fairly well accepted to have been Shamshel's S², right? That's one point against the co-location of Core and S². So far, so groovy. I can't think of any evidence either way, myself, but I'll be keeping my eyes open.

Reichu wrote:AchtungAffen made an argument a while back about the S^2 being intimately linked to soul (it's the Fruit of Life, after all, and by all indications its counterpart, the Fruit of Knowledge, seems to be an entirely spiritual thing...), with a related argument that the S^2 would reside within the core (where the soul is). I didn't buy this at first, but then I started noticing that the series seem to imply, with the Evas (and Adam?) at least, that they keep the S^2 in their core. The "evidence" here is a bit tenuous, and I'd need to retread the series a bit to remember where all of it is...

Interesting... I'll be looking for that evidence whenever I watch an episode now, I'm curious on this issue. I get the Fruit of Life argument, but does that have to mean that it resides inside the core, or might it just mean that it is linked to the core? Close to the core, but not inside.

Personally, I would find it more aesthetically pleasing if the core and the S² had nothing to do with each other, either in Angels, or the Eva series. It seems to introduce too many complexities to the 'Shogouki gaining an S² organ' scenes for me to be hapy about that being the case.

Originally posted on: 24-Oct-2004, 11:23 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:37 am

Brigitanastasia wrote:Lilith apparently got by without it. And it's not as if the Evas that lacks S^2s aren't alive.

To my mind, the continual effusion of LCL, her blood, probably has more to do with the Lance of Longinus - if we take this a having similar properties to those it displays when it appears in the Matter of Britain, where it caused the Grail King of the Wasteland an unhealing wound. (Admittedly, I'd be happier with bringing in this particular strand of lore were there a more obvious Grail around, rather than simply finessing the issue by saying that the Grail is the female counterpart to the Lance's maleness, and referring back to earlier discussion of obvious female imagery. Image )

Originally posted on: 24-Oct-2004, 11:58 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Mr. Tines wrote:To my mind, the continual effusion of LCL, her blood, probably has more to do with the Lance of Longinus - if we take this a having similar properties to those it displays when it appears in the Matter of Britain, where it caused the Grail King of the Wasteland an unhealing wound. (Admittedly, I'd be happier with bringing in this particular strand of lore were there a more obvious Grail around, rather than simply finessing the issue by saying that the Grail is the female counterpart to the Lance's maleness, and referring back to earlier discussion of obvious female imagery. Image )

The Mystic-WWW wrote:Throughout Norman and Christian Arthurian legend, 'The Quest for the Holy Grail', or 'The Grail', is a search for a magical cup which brings enlightenment brought by Joseph of Arimathea to Britain. A few stories tell of the cup being brought by angels from heaven and given to sacred Knights, perhaps the Knights of the Round Table, or their earlier counterparts.

The Grail possessed the ability to; heal the sick, or in Arthur's case, the mortally wounded; the power to ensure that all who are worthy to approach it remain youthful;

Only the pure were said to have been able to approach the cup, anyone else approaching it would simply see it disappear before their eyes. We know that many of the stories accredited to the sacred vessel, known in early Anglo-Norman romances as the 'Graal' meaning a dish made from expensive metals and stones and equating to the Keltic 'Mowys' or 'Mias', have been developed through the spread of Christianity across Medieval Europe . Yet if we re-examine the ancient Welsh references to a sacred vessel, we find that it is the Cauldron that offers immortality and wisdom to those who drink from it.

Looking at the text that I found on this page, (and ignoring the part about a cauldron) I ask if it is not too much of a stretch to link the grail to Instrumentality itself? The Grail has often had the granting of immortality attributed to it. Instrumentality is what the Committee are 'questing' for, after all, and it will also grant a form of immortality. I expect it is far too much of a stretch, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

Originally posted on: 24-Oct-2004, 12:08 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Mr. Tines wrote:To my mind, the continual effusion of LCL, her blood, probably has more to do with the Lance of Longinus

In this shot, anyway, we can see that Lilith is still bleeding after they remove the Spear:

But in another one from #25', she isn't, so who the hell knows?

We know that they have been "harvesting" LCL from Lilith from way before they stick the Spear into her. There are actually a bunch of tubes, visible only in #15, sticking into the back of her head, three of which are labeled LCL.1, LCL.2, and LCL.3. I'm especially curious about whether or not these serve to (A) somehow 'incite' her to have the Period That Never Ends, (B) actually 'pump' the LCL out of her directly, letting all of that perfectly good stuff oozing out of her vaginal tract go to waste ;;p, or (C) something I'm not thinking of at the moment.

Soluzar wrote:As far as I am aware, Lilith was slowly regenerating, not decaying. As to where LCL comes from, well, it is her blood, so she wouldn't so much decay into LCL as ... just plain bleed it. Also, I believe that 'got by without it' above refers to the S² and not the core.

I personally think she was more in a state of limbo. She wasn't degrading, but she wasn't actively regenerating either.

Originally posted on: 24-Oct-2004, 15:59 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:In this shot, anyway, we can see that Lilith is still bleeding after they remove the Spear:

Stabbed through the womb, like the Grail King was stabbed in the "thigh", and left with a wound that would not heal until some further Significant Event. Sounds reasonable to me - the Lance was not left in the Grail King either - rather it was displayed each night around the castle, along with the Grail, in a ghostly pageant.

Originally posted on: 24-Oct-2004, 17:16 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Soluzar wrote:Looking at the text that I found on this page, (and ignoring the part about a cauldron) I ask if it is not too much of a stretch to link the grail to Instrumentality itself? The Grail has often had the granting of immortality attributed to it. Instrumentality is what the Committee are 'questing' for, after all, and it will also grant a form of immortality. I expect it is far too much of a stretch, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

The lance is very physical - this is a more metaphorical Grail. But stepping back one, to say that the Grail is that through which the Instrumentality is to be achieved, then we could say that this is the female body of whichever Angel they were intending to use at the time.

Originally posted on: 24-Oct-2004, 17:26 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Lilith is clearly stabbed in the chest, not in the abdominal region.

Soluzar wrote:I used to believe that the S² organ and the core are are the same thing, when I'd first seen the series.

Don't worry. It's a common n00b mistake. (One of the few I don't remember making myself, so I was always mystified whenever I heard people equating the two. "Duh, people, EVA-01 has that round thing in her chest BEFORE she had an S^2, put two and two together!!")

It only ever really made sense for the recovered S² to have belonged to Shamshel to me, although technically I know that there were a couple of other angels where the whole or part of the body was recovered.

Shamshel was the first Angel whose body was recovered, so it would have given the Third Branch more time to play with, if nothing else.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's fairly well accepted to have been Shamshel's S², right? That's one point against the co-location of Core and S². So far, so groovy. I can't think of any evidence either way, myself, but I'll be keeping my eyes open.

I guess, as has been mentioned before, there is no real reason why the location of the S^2 can't differ on an Angel-to-Angel basis... Although, I should reiterate, I'm also increasingly of the conviction that the Evas (EVA-01 and the harpies, at least) keep the S^2 in their cores.

Here is something I've been wondering about, as well:

#21'

Scientist : The S2 engine and the explosive system are being linked!
We can't stop it!

Whatever the "explosive system" they are referring to is... Elsewhere, we see 'exploding' being linked somehow to the cores. This is obvious with Sachiel and other Angels whose cores are destroyed deciding to self-destruct via Big Explosion (Israfel, Sahaquiel, etc.). Also, before Zero goes kablooey, in #23, they say "The core is collapsing, passing through the critical point." I guess it's hard to say what any of this actually means... "The explosive system" seems to be a core-based phenomenon, though whether or not this says anything about the S^2 residing within the core itself remains to be seen.

Also consider the evil harpies from #26':

Honestly, I'm not exposing you to my evil captions on purpose; they just happen to involve an image that is useful for the moment. Image

The Synchronized Core-F***ing Orgy of Death occurs right before we see, apparently, the "Red Earth Purification Ceremony" spread across the globe -- i.e., all lifeforms liquifying and releasing their souls en masse, with lots of cross-thingies, and the planet enigmatically turning red at the same time.

This is mostly off-topic (big surprise), but I've been wondering for a while if the one scene (Mass Liberation!) directly follows the core-f***ing for a reason, and if it might have something to do with the faux-spears coming into contact with the Evas' S^2s, possibly residing within their cores. I dunno, is it somehow significant that we don't see anyone outside of the Black Moon liquify until the harpies do this?

Originally posted on: 24-Oct-2004, 17:40 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:Don't worry. It's a common n00b mistake. (One of the few I don't remember making myself, so I was always mystified whenever I heard people equating the two. "Duh, people, EVA-01 has that round thing in her chest BEFORE she had an S^2, put two and two together!!")

When I got on these forums, I had a lot of culture shock. So far it's been a short, but radical re-education, and while I have a lot left to learn still, it's been a heck of a lot of fun. Image

Reichu wrote:I guess, as has been mentioned before, there is no real reason why the location of the S^2 can't differ on an Angel-to-Angel basis... Although, I should reiterate, I'm also increasingly of the conviction that the Evas (EVA-01 and the harpies, at least) keep the S^2 in their cores.

I'm going to go and watch #19 again, so that I don't make any stupid mistakes when I reply again, but there's something about that theory that bothers me. I'm probably wrong, but there it is... I'll get back to you and ask my dumb questions later. Image

Reichu wrote:Here is something I've been wondering about, as well:

#21'

Scientist : The S2 engine and the explosive system are being linked!
We can't stop it!

Whatever the "explosive system" they are referring to is... Elsewhere, we see 'exploding' being linked somehow to the cores. This is obvious with Sachiel and other Angels whose cores are destroyed deciding to self-destruct via Big Explosion (Israfel, Sahaquiel, etc.). Also, before Zero goes kablooey, in #23, they say "The core is collapsing, passing through the critical point." I guess it's hard to say what any of this actually means... "The explosive system" seems to be a core-based phenomenon, though whether or not this says anything about the S^2 residing within the core itself remains to be seen.

This is mostly off-topic (big surprise), but I've been wondering for a while if the one scene (Mass Liberation!) directly follows the core-f***ing for a reason, and if it might have something to do with the faux-spears coming into contact with the Evas' S^2s, possibly residing within their cores. I dunno, is it somehow significant that we don't see anyone outside of the Black Moon liquify until the harpies do this?

Do the faux-spears have the same effects as the original? I was under the impression that the original spear had some kind of nasty effect on an S², but that the copies did not, that they were just a nice big weapon...

By #21' written like that, you mean the director's cut don't you? I'm missing that version... Am I missing much? I always figured I'd leave that until I get the platinum releases.

Mr. Tines wrote:The lance is very physical - this is a more metaphorical Grail. But stepping back one, to say that the Grail is that through which the Instrumentality is to be achieved, then we could say that this is the female body of whichever Angel they were intending to use at the time.

Why not have Adam as the Grail, if only for the reason that it would allow you to compare Kaji with Joseph of Arimathea. Now there's an overstretched analogy if you wanted one.
Image Image

Originally posted on: 24-Oct-2004, 18:29 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Soluzar wrote:When I got on these forums, I had a lot of culture shock. So far it's been a short, but radical re-education, and while I have a lot left to learn still, it's been a heck of a lot of fun. Image

For me, coming here basically meant re-learning the entire series over again. But considering some of the random strange ideas and idiosyncrasies I came here with have caught on, the corruption wasn't completely one-way. (It still amuses me whenever I see people use "Yui-" or "Kyoko-sama", or the "-gouki" names, completely of their own accord, when I distinctly remember a time when they had not. Image )

I'm going to go and watch #19 again, so that I don't make any stupid mistakes when I reply again, but there's something about that theory that bothers me. I'm probably wrong, but there it is...

What's the basis for you being bothered by the idea? I do recall having the problem an awful lot, when the first time I hear an idea I am strongly opposed to it (usually an emotional rather than logical reaction), and the more time passes the more it "sinks in", as it were, and starts making sense to me.

Do the faux-spears have the same effects as the original? I was under the impression that the original spear had some kind of nasty effect on an S², but that the copies did not, that they were just a nice big weapon...

To answer that question, we'd have to decide exactly WHAT the "effects" of the Spear are. I don't think it's really clear what the relationship between the Spear and an S^2 are. There is some temptation to assume that Adam being re-skewered by the Katsuragi Team somehow results in the S^2 and "explosive system" becoming connected and her going boom, but there was so much going on, this could be accounted for by something else entirely.

By #21' written like that, you mean the director's cut don't you?

The prime sign (') seems to be used as shorthand for the idea "upgraded, reworked, etc." For example, the blue version of EVA-00 is called Zerogouki kai, which is written alternatively as EVA-00'. Similarly, the eyecatches for the NPC versions of #21~#24 as given as #21'~#24', and the two episodes of EoE are numbered #25' and #26'.

I'm missing that version... Am I missing much?

Those few minutes of footage are pretty instrumental to being able to understand the series in whole, so you'd definitely benefit from viewing them.

Originally posted on: 25-Oct-2004, 08:35 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:38 am

Reichu wrote:For me, coming here basically meant re-learning the entire series over again. But considering some of the random strange ideas and idiosyncrasies I came here with have caught on, the corruption wasn't completely one-way. (It still amuses me whenever I see people use "Yui-" or "Kyoko-sama", or the "-gouki" names, completely of their own accord, when I distinctly remember a time when they had not. Image )

Must be cool to be a 'trend-setter'. Image
I definitely prefer using the -gouki terminology, rather than EVA-XX or anything like that. It just sounds better. I'm still in the process of re-learning the series myself, and I'm watching bits of NGE every spare minute I get. Until I came to these forums it had been years since I had seen any of it, and my memory still needs further refreshing on some bits.

Reichu wrote:What's the basis for you being bothered by the idea? I do recall having the problem an awful lot, when the first time I hear an idea I am strongly opposed to it (usually an emotional rather than logical reaction), and the more time passes the more it "sinks in", as it were, and starts making sense to me.

Well, this is a really silly question, I expect, but the Core is a sealed unit, as far as I am aware. If Shogouki 'took into herself' the S^2 from Zeruel, by consuming it, how would it get into the core? I expect that to go down in forum history as the most boneheaded of questions, but it does seem odd to me. Image

Reichu wrote:To answer that question, we'd have to decide exactly WHAT the "effects" of the Spear are. I don't think it's really clear what the relationship between the Spear and an S^2 are. There is some temptation to assume that Adam being re-skewered by the Katsuragi Team somehow results in the S^2 and "explosive system" becoming connected and her going boom, but there was so much going on, this could be accounted for by something else entirely.

Hmm, s'funny. I could have sworn that one of the earliest threads I read when I came here was about the nature of the Spear. At the time I barely understood a word of it, but I had assumed that some conclusion was reached.

Reichu wrote:The prime sign (') seems to be used as shorthand for the idea "upgraded, reworked, etc." For example, the blue version of EVA-00 is called Zerogouki kai, which is written alternatively as EVA-00'. Similarly, the eyecatches for the NPC versions of #21~#24 as given as #21'~#24', and the two episodes of EoE are numbered #25' and #26'.

Those few minutes of footage are pretty instrumental to being able to understand the series in whole, so you'd definitely benefit from viewing them.

So it's just #21, #22, #23, and #24 that have the new scenes in? Hmm, I have the Final Genesis volume with the reworked #24 on it, but not the previous volume. Hmm. I suppose I should buy it. Platinum still aren't up to that point yet, so not much point waiting for that...

Originally posted on: 25-Oct-2004, 01:50 GMT

Knives [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Knives [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:38 am

Soluzar wrote:Well, this is a really silly question, I expect, but the Core is a sealed unit, as far as I am aware. If Shogouki 'took into herself' the S^2 from Zeruel, by consuming it, how would it get into the core? I expect that to go down in forum history as the most boneheaded of questions, but it does seem odd to me. Image

Reichu Image ... I know it's a pain, but it'd be helpful to know exactly what Ritsuko says in this scene in the Japanese. I need to watch the episode again to really remember exactly how she phrases it in the English even. Garh.

Originally posted on: 25-Oct-2004, 01:57 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”