Similarities between NGE and Gunbuster.

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:48 am

Levon wrote:I believe in Japan Zoids manga or something was called "the battle story of bio-machine Zoids".

Its pretty clear they are bio-machines in Chaotic Century, I'm not sure which one you saw though since it could have been Zoids Zero(Image). A good example might be when a Zoid dies & a characters gets so emotional, like when Van's Shield Liger dies or when Irvines Command Wolf is dieing & we see it in actual pain.

In Chaotic Century they can evole where they go into a coccon.
They have a heart(the Zoid core), once the heart is damaged the whole Zoid will turn to stone & die. The Zoid cores can be merged with other Zoid cores to create a whole new type of Zoid, but its very wrong since most of the time they fail & the Zoid cores dies. The Zoidian race created the Zoid cores with the Zoid Eve & created bio-machine Zoids with them but Zoidian's started using Zoids not as animals or pets anymore but as slaves & war machines and when they created the Death Saurer it doomed them all killing almost all of them. The Zoid went out of control like some demon taking revenge on its makers. Although not all this was proven in the show, lots are unclear since the show takes place LONG after those events & everyone on that planet doesn't know much about the past. Theres also the info about the Death Stinger but I won't get into that.

There are also Organoids(Note: "Organ"), which are little bio-machine dragon looking Zoids that can merge into a Zoid, they are very rare(I guess most were killed by the Death Saurer), they have a much more mind of there own.

I have MANY theories on all this but I guess that would be getting really off topic. Sorry abou that.

Cool stuff. You're right though, lets not get into that here. If I ever find the time/money for some Zoids DVDs (assuming they do them) I'll find my way into the a more approprate board, and chat about it there. For the time being, I'll keep getting my (bio-)mecha kicks from NGE and the occasional bit of the older series of Gundam. Cheers for the info. Image

Originally posted on: 15-Jan-2005, 05:16 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:48 am

Reichu wrote:Beat you to it, Mr. Tines. Image

But I managed to miss that fact on the first read-through. Oh, well, so it goes.

And now the following information:-

Let's all love Lain!

Originally posted on: 15-Jan-2005, 13:24 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:48 am

Levon wrote:I don't really notice any similarities besides there both mecha. They seem like there made by two diffrent people. Same with his other work like Nadia(my favorite Anno anime) & Kare Kano.

There are quite a lot of similarities between Eva and Gunbuster, mostly stylish, but they exist. There was a thread on this a while back.

Coach is kind of proto-Gendo
Descent into the Black Hole Bomb - Magma Diver?

To name two.

Originally posted on: 15-Jan-2005, 13:49 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Sharp-kun wrote:There are quite a lot of similarities between Eva and Gunbuster, mostly stylish, but they exist. There was a thread on this a while back.

Yeah. It's the glasses, right? Not too similar in other ways, but the glasses made me think of Gendo. Image

Originally posted on: 15-Jan-2005, 14:12 GMT

Levon [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Levon [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:48 am

Soluzar wrote:Cool stuff. You're right though, lets not get into that here. If I ever find the time/money for some Zoids DVDs (assuming they do them) I'll find my way into the a more approprate board, and chat about it there. For the time being, I'll keep getting my (bio-)mecha kicks from NGE and the occasional bit of the older series of Gundam. Cheers for the info. Image

"Remember that a Zoid is alive. Not only does it have to be in sync with the pilot, but the equipment must be as well." -Van

I was looking at quotes from a site & thought you'd be interested in that oneImage

Sharp-kun wrote:There are quite a lot of similarities between Eva and Gunbuster, mostly stylish, but they exist. There was a thread on this a while back.

Descent into the Black Hole Bomb - Magma Diver?

To name two.

Two is quite a lot? Image_

*searches for the old thread*

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2005, 09:45 GMT

sheaman [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby sheaman [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:48 am

Ark wrote:or teenage masturbation?

Uh, unless it's in Death and Rebirth, what are you talking about? I mean, I've watched all the eps and EoE.

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2005, 14:43 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

sheaman wrote:Uh, unless it's in Death and Rebirth, what are you talking about? I mean, I've watched all the eps and EoE.

Dude, he's talking about the most infamous scene in NGE - the scene at the start of EoE, where Shinji decides to jerk one out over Asuka's comatose frame. I honestly don't know how anyone coulds see the movie and not remember that. It's just not something you expect to see in an anime, so it tends to stick in the mind...

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2005, 15:00 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:48 am

Then again, the crappy quality for that scene can obscure the....juice. Image

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2005, 17:54 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:48 am

Levon wrote:Not to get into another debate but there are other mecha anime(some even before EVA) that have living creature or a form of bio-machine used as its mecha. Such as Argento Soma, Aura Battler Dunbine, Zoids, & I think even Brainpowrd.

Well, all that you mentioned besides Aura Battler Dunbine came out after Eva. And Argento Soma and Brain Powered in particular were both influenced by Eva.

I do wonder though what the first living mech show was.

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2005, 17:57 GMT

Levon [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Well actually Zoids were created as real living mecha creatures in 1982. It wasn't until around 1998 that the Zoids: Chaotic Century manga started & then 1999 when the anime started. Although the story is pretty diffrent compared to the old 80's story, the anime/manga creator decided to make his own story using the Zoids designs. I'm very glad they did that since the original story released by Marvel comics was so chessy & silly.

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2005, 21:23 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:48 am

How many of these so-called "living mecha" are actually complete organic creatures beneath the armor plating?

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2005, 22:24 GMT

Levon [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Well they might not be human flesh, bone & blood but they still are organic creatures with organs like a heart & brain. There just more alien organic like.

Here is one Zoid called an Organoid:

Here is what Organoids look inside a Zoid where it merges with the Zoids core/heart:

ImageImage

Here is a Zoid that merges with a human(although I won't show the actual human merged with the Zoid core since its a spoiler):

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2005, 23:55 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:48 am

Anno's fetish for 2015 was pointed out to me last month. I'd never clicked on that before ^^;;;;;

Originally posted on: 07-Mar-2005, 14:00 GMT

Quiddity [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:48 am

Misato saying 'Okaerinasai(Welcome Home)' a number of times early in Eva seems to be a homage to Gunbuster, atleast at the end of episode 4. 'Welcome Home' is of course the message Noriko and Amano find as they return to Earth at the very end of Gunbuster. And in turn you could look back and arguably say Gunbuster took that from Zambot 3, the original 'Kill Em All' anime, which is the message that Kappei receives at the end of the final episode.

Originally posted on: 20-Mar-2005, 08:53 GMT

Van [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Van [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:48 am

Gainax bounce (duh)
coach = proto gendo
noriko = proto Shinji
her co-pilot = proto Asuka

imo gunbusters better than evangelion, but i'm not really enjoying gb2 so far

Originally posted on: 19-Mar-2005, 23:43 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:48 am

Someone back yonder on the first page mentioned that Gunbuster should be viewed as a parody anime. I remember reading somewhere that Anno didn't want Gunbuster viewed as a parody. I can't remember where, though.

Originally posted on: 20-Mar-2005, 04:35 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:48 am

If he didn't want it to be a parody, it shouldn't have encompassed so many dad-gum cliches. (Watch it with Stuffman in the room to see what I mean.)

Originally posted on: 20-Mar-2005, 05:18 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:48 am

Heh, I'm definitely no anime expert, but I could seriously call half the stuff that happened before it appeared onscreen. Maybe Eva, and all the analyzation of it and such that goes on around here, has made me too much of an "anime cynic" (or at least a "Gainax cynic") to appreciate it. Image

Originally posted on: 20-Mar-2005, 05:30 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:48 am

Reichu wrote:If he didn't want it to be a parody, it shouldn't have encompassed so many dad-gum cliches. (Watch it with Stuffman in the room to see what I mean.)

I was thinking the same thing when I read that. Oh well, I dig on Gunbuster no matter what the frack it's sopposed to be. Probably even just a slight bit more than Eva.

Originally posted on: 20-Mar-2005, 18:54 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”