Is RahXephon a copy of Evangelion?

Over time, notable threads from ANF will be preserved here for the Benefit of All.

Moderators: Ornette, Monk Ed

Joeshie [ANF]
Adam
User avatar
Posts: 95
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Joeshie [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:59 pm

Both Tomino and Ideon suck.

Image

Originally posted on: 08.03.2006, 12:49 AM

Van [ANF]
Embryo
Posts: 31
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Van [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:59 pm

C'mon Evangelion fans do a tiny bit of research before you open your mouths.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...ople.php?id=15

Look he was involved with Macross and CCA, anyone who's watched Otaku no Video knows how Gainax were massive fans of Macross. Anno has gone on record and said Ideon and Yamato are his fav animes.

Any watchers of Gunbuster/Nadia can see some similarities between those two earlier Gainax series and Evangelion.

Original does not = good.

Thank you, hit the nail on the head.

Zeta Gundam is nowhere near as original as Mobile Suit Gundam (how can a sequel be?)... yet is far superior imo.

Also this popularity arguement is so stupid, I love how people discount it for some things (Stuff they don't like) yet use it for others (suprise suprise stuff they actually like!). So hypocritical.....

Originally posted on: 08.03.2006, 01:38 AM

senseinobaka [ANF]
Embryo
Posts: 19
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby senseinobaka [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:59 pm

Anno is practically a protege of both tomino and miyazaki.

It's partly why he's an effective director.

**I'm I the only one that thinks Anno uses he's key animation style form Macross way too much (ie; the cutie honey movey)?
**

Originally posted on: 08.03.2006, 08:42 PM

Van [ANF]
Embryo
Posts: 31
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Van [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:59 pm

Just to put the last nail in the coffin

News via ANS
One of the biggest rumors running this summer among Japanese fans online involves Studio GAINAX, presumably under the aegis of Director Hideaki Anno, re-editing and adding new animation footage to the original 1995 26 episode Evangelion TV series (ala Gundam Zeta) and releasing them as a series of new movies to Japanese theaters

lol makes your Rah copying Eva movies comment look rather stupid even though Ideon did the exact same first.

Originally posted on: 08.09.2006, 03:26 AM

Brill [ANF]
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 7
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Brill [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:59 pm

Quiddity wrote:One of the most famous anime directors of all time, Tomino didn't resonate with the public? Learn your anime history my friend. Tomino's more well known than Anno is. Tomino created the real robot genre. Tomino's Mobile Suit Gundam spawned a franchise that has produced 10 complete TV series (450+ episodes), 4 OVAs and over 10 movies. Tomino's creations completely dwarf that of Anno's. You have absolutely no credibility and no leg to stand on in this argument if you don't even know who Tomino is.

And Ideon's no slouch in Japan, Animag had it ranked as the #10 best anime of all time. Just because its virtually unknown in the US doesn't make it completely ignored garbage in Japan.

Hey I said I had no idea what Tomino was. I couldn't name 5 anime directors to save my life. Gundam fared much better tha Ideon which was cancelled due to low ratings beflore it even concluded! Unlike Evangelion which was almost cancelled due to controversial content. I don't see a Zeta Ideon or Ideon Seed following in its footsteps. I'll grant you Ideon was the first dark sci-fi anime with a apocalyptic ending out there but it was 15 years before another dark anime to appear-which is a lifetime in the anime. Like I said before, it's time. I wonder where Eva is on that list. Image

Originally posted on: 08.09.2006, 08:39 AM

PronsAmuro [ANF]
Adam
User avatar
Posts: 65
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby PronsAmuro [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:59 pm

Brill wrote:Hey I said I had no idea what Tomino was. I couldn't name 5 anime directors to save my life. Gundam fared much better tha Ideon which was cancelled due to low ratings beflore it even concluded!

Both were cancled, MobileSuitGundam and Space Ruanway Ideon. They both became popular (of course, Gundam more than Ideon) later on

Brill wrote:Unlike Evangelion which was almost cancelled due to controversial content.)

...Eva wasn't cancled.

Brill wrote:I don't see a Zeta Ideon or Ideon Seed following in its footsteps.

There is the extra fifty episodes Shin-Getter self-animated, that's how good of fansubers we are!

Originally posted on: 08.09.2006, 08:44 AM

Levon [ANF]
Adam
User avatar
Posts: 52
Joined: Oct 20, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Levon [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:59 pm

Brill wrote:Hey I said I had no idea what Tomino was. I couldn't name 5 anime directors to save my life. Gundam fared much better tha Ideon which was cancelled due to low ratings beflore it even concluded! Unlike Evangelion which was almost cancelled due to controversial content. I don't see a Zeta Ideon or Ideon Seed following in its footsteps. I'll grant you Ideon was the first dark sci-fi anime with a apocalyptic ending out there but it was 15 years before another dark anime to appear-which is a lifetime in the anime. Like I said before, it's time. I wonder where Eva is on that list. Image

There were other dark anime before EVA, just not with an apocalyptic ending from what I know. Zeta Gundam & Votoms are dark sci-fi anime. Zeta Gundam doesn't have an apocalyptic ending where the universe is destroyed or anything but it does have a very dark Kill Em' All Tomino ending. As well as in his Aura Battler Dunbine. Much like how the characters of EVA would die at the end, however there were much more main characters dieing in Tomino's endings. He develops a large cast of characters on all sides of the war, rather than just a small group like we see in EVA.



PronsAmuro wrote:...Eva wasn't cancled.

He said "Almost"Image


PronsAmuro wrote:There is the extra fifty episodes Shin-Getter self-animated, that's how good of fansubers we are!

Is it an AU?Image


Brill wrote:I don't see a Zeta Ideon or Ideon Seed following in its footsteps.

Impossible for Ideon to have a sequel, just like its impossible for EVA to have a sequel.

Ideon was big enough for the 2 movies to be made.

http://animenewsnetwork.com/encyclop...me.php?id=2726
Ideon: Be Invoked
Plot Summary: The epic conclusion to the Ideon saga, featuring what was meant to be the final 5 episodes of the TV series. The Solo Ship and its crew continue their intense battle with the Buff Clan leading to a final battle that will determine the fate of all life in the universe.

Sound familiar? *cough*End of Evangelion*cough*

http://animenewsnetwork.com/encyclop...me.php?id=2694
Ideon: A Contact
Plot Summary: A movie recap of the Space Runaway Ideon TV Series.

Sound familiar? *cough*Death & Rebirth*cough*

Originally posted on: 08.09.2006, 09:15 AM

Olin of Xephon [ANF]
Embryo
Posts: 3
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Olin of Xephon [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:59 pm

Bottom Line: (again) Evangelion wasn't original, it was just the first Dark, philosophical mecha anime that caught peoples' attention. When Rahxephon stepped into the lime light, said people reviled it as a rip off.

Listen people, every story has been told before. If you like Eva better, good. If you think Rahxephon rocks, also good.

I like them both, although Evangelion's characters (and chracter designs) have always been more precious to me.

So can we stop these Rahxephon vs. Evangelion threads at some point in the near future?

Originally posted on: 08.09.2006, 09:34 AM

Uchiha-Itachi [ANF]
Embryo
Posts: 3
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Uchiha-Itachi [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:59 pm

RyoTD wrote:Not this crap again...

Colossus, did you even read the thread? If not, do so. If you did, then do it again.

And watch Ideon.

im tired of people and their ********. Did you read the thread?? look @ it man. Is Rah a copy of EVA?
DO NOT USE IDEON TO DEFEND YOUR ARGUMENT THAT RAHXEPHON ISNT A COPY. your making yourselves sound rediculous and you arent proving anything.

Originally posted on: 08.09.2006, 09:43 AM

Gendo [ANF]
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 2
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Gendo [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:59 pm

Uchiha-Itachi wrote:im tired of people and their ********. Did you read the thread?? look @ it man. Is Rah a copy of EVA?
DO NOT USE IDEON TO DEFEND YOUR ARGUMENT THAT RAHXEPHON ISNT A COPY. your making yourselves sound rediculous and you arent proving anything.


It really is a valid argument, if you are going to say something is a copy of Evangelion, first you need to look at what was original in Evangelion. The whole mech genre of anime has been around for years and many archtypes of that genre can be seen in every show, including evangelion. If rahxephon and evangelion share those already existing archtypes, can you really say Rahxephon copied it from Evangelion?

that being said, what did Evangelion do that no other mech anime did before?

Originally posted on: 08.09.2006, 10:09 AM

Levon [ANF]
Adam
User avatar
Posts: 52
Joined: Oct 20, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Levon [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:59 pm

Uchiha-Itachi wrote:im tired of people and their ********. Did you read the thread?? look @ it man. Is Rah a copy of EVA?
DO NOT USE IDEON TO DEFEND YOUR ARGUMENT THAT RAHXEPHON ISNT A COPY. your making yourselves sound rediculous and you arent proving anything.

Proving you can't copy elements that EVA itself copied?

Its like if a person made a "Did Rau copy Zechs?" thread, it only makes sense to tell everyone that Zechs copied Char Aznable so therefore Rau diddn't copy Zechs. Theres the answer to the threads question.


Gendo wrote:that being said, what did Evangelion do that no other mech anime did before?

Maybe the way they made the EVA more alive(human). I mean there were mecha that were alive before EVA like the Ideon & Zoids but not human. There were also bio-machines like Aura Battler's & even Zoids(Japanese toyline & UK comics only, Chaotic Cenmtury manga/anime diddn't start until in the late 90's).

Originally posted on: 08.09.2006, 10:14 AM

Van [ANF]
Embryo
Posts: 31
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Van [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:00 pm

Does this stupid **** occur in Japan? Since Evangelion is one of the boom animes of the west it is more than likely the first anime they see with many elements.

Japanese viewpoint

Mazinger Z ----- Gundam --- Ideon --- Macross ---Zeta Gundam ------- Gunbuster ----------------Evangelion - Escaflowne -------- RahXephon

Western viewpoint

Evangelion - Escaflowne -------- RahXephon --- Fafner

Unless people actually make the effort to watch what came before Evangelion they will more than likely assume that Eva did things first because it's the oldest thing they saw that did them.

See how Escaflowne came after Evangelion? It was called a ripoff of Eva back in 01 by quite a few people just because it contained mechas. (Yep it's tture, even though their was promos for Escaflowne before Eva) This is what I mean by how people just judge based off what they have seen.

Now imagine the anime boom happened 2 years ago.....

<Hypothetical>

RahXephon --- Fafner --- <insert>

Now you would have people calling Fafner and whatever else is in the genre a ripoff of RahXephon and the people who bring up Ideon would be bringing up Eva instead.

Just because you watch an anime do something does not mean it was the first or only anime to do it. FFS look outside anime, something you think is original has more than likely been done before in some form of film or novel.

Originally posted on: 08.09.2006, 10:17 AM

Levon [ANF]
Adam
User avatar
Posts: 52
Joined: Oct 20, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Levon [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:00 pm

I'v heard more silly things. Like a person saying Gundam is a ripoff of Robotech. Or that Trigun & Outlaw Star are ripoff's of Cowboy Bebop. Ignorance.

Originally posted on: 08.09.2006, 10:22 AM

Uchiha-Itachi [ANF]
Embryo
Posts: 3
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Uchiha-Itachi [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:00 pm

the 1st mecha i actually saw ever was Escaflowne, as i wasnt really and still am not a hardcore mecha Fan yet. i did actually see EVA 1st. but after watching Rah i went back to my vault and watched eva again and still wasnt convinced that it was different. sure there are GENERIC elements in every mecha anime, but to me some of the evidence is a lil too convenient to deny. Im seeing the intelligence actually start to show in Vans argument now that he explained himself. but gendo actually has a good point. im just tired of everyone just saying Ideon without actually knowing what they're talking about. most people mention ideon just because everyone else is.

Originally posted on: 08.09.2006, 10:29 AM

Uchiha-Itachi [ANF]
Embryo
Posts: 3
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Uchiha-Itachi [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:00 pm

Levon wrote:I'v heard more silly things. Like a person saying Gundam is a ripoff of Robotech. Or that Trigun & Outlaw Star are ripoff's of Cowboy Bebop. Ignorance.

We do agree on some things. anyone who said that is an Imbicile

Originally posted on: 08.09.2006, 10:30 AM

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel
User avatar
Posts: 624
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:00 pm

Levon wrote:There were other dark anime before EVA, just not with an apocalyptic ending from what I know. Zeta Gundam & Votoms are dark sci-fi anime. Zeta Gundam doesn't have an apocalyptic ending where the universe is destroyed or anything but it does have a very dark Kill Em' All Tomino ending. As well as in his Aura Battler Dunbine. Much like how the characters of EVA would die at the end, however there were much more main characters dieing in Tomino's endings.

Yes, there is a difference. For what little I've seen, in Tomino's shows SPOILER! (highlight to read):characters tend not to return from the dead 15 minutes later.
Impossible for Ideon to have a sequel, just like its impossible for EVA to have a sequel.

Ideon sequel is impossible; Evangelion sequel is technically possible, but it would be mind-numbingly boring. Or porn.

Gendo wrote:that being said, what did Evangelion do that no other mech anime did before?

Last two episodes without a budget. Image

Originally posted on: 08.09.2006, 11:47 AM

CrossboneGundam [ANF]
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 12
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby CrossboneGundam [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:00 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:Yes, there is a difference. For what little I've seen, in Tomino's shows SPOILER! (highlight to read):characters tend not to return from the dead 15 minutes later.

You really have seen little Tomino if you think dead characters tend to return from the dead 15 minutes later. That's total nonsense.

Originally posted on: 08.09.2006, 02:09 PM

Suiko Eiji [ANF]
Embryo
Posts: 11
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Suiko Eiji [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:00 pm

CrossboneGundam wrote:You really have seen little Tomino if you think dead characters tend to return from the dead 15 minutes later. That's total nonsense.

Actually, I think he was arguing that in Tomino's works, save for a small handful, the dead remain dead.

Originally posted on: 08.09.2006, 02:21 PM

Bernard_Monsha [ANF]
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 17
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Bernard_Monsha [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:00 pm

Uchiha-Itachi wrote:im just tired of everyone just saying Ideon without actually knowing what they're talking about. most people mention ideon just because everyone else is.

Then there people like me, Quiddity, Prons, Camille and others that have seen Ideon and the films at conventions or through ancient VHS fansubs. Of course our reaction tends to be "They are showing homage to Ideon neat ". Your reaction is OMFGBBQ $700P1D r4|-|><3P|-|0|\| COPIES TEH EVA JOO 5UX0R5!!11!!!ELEVENTY1!!!.




CrossboneGundam wrote:You really have seen little Tomino if you think dead characters tend to return from the dead 15 minutes later. That's total nonsense.

Maybe he was thinking Marvel Comics when he wrote that. I can't think of any Tomino zombies off hand, maybe he means SEED Destiny.

Originally posted on: 08.09.2006, 02:27 PM

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel
User avatar
Posts: 624
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:00 pm

Bernard_Monsha wrote:Maybe he was thinking Marvel Comics when he wrote that. I can't think of any Tomino zombies off hand, maybe he means SEED Destiny.

Dr. Nick prescribes gl*****.

EDIT: Oh wow, so it's okay to say "********" but not gl*****? Animenation.

Originally posted on: 08.09.2006, 02:51 PM


Return to “AnimeNation Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests