My Eva journal or something.

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:43 pm

Joeshie wrote:Evangelion is like a snowball rolling down a hill. Intially it is slow moving and not very impressive. However, it picks up speed and becomes one monster of a snowball as the show progresses. I'm sure that you will enjoy the later episodes much more than the eariler ones.

EXACTLY. That's what I should have said. Joeshie is dead right. The first few, they need to move slowly, because they need to gather all the initial plot element together. The later ones, when it already has all the "setup work" done, well then it really picks up speed.

Originally posted on: 26-Apr-2005, 04:27 GMT

C_U_P [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby C_U_P [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:43 pm

EPISODE 2 NOTES: This was a better episode. I can successfully declare Gendo Ikkari to be very cool. I hope there is a lot more of him coming up. I sat down after watching this episode and thought about what the title (Unknown Ceilings) could mean, but nothing particularly came to mind. I guess it would just mean that Shinki is finding himself in new places for reasons he doesn't understand. The fight between the second Angel (Sachiel apparently) and Eva-01 was awesome, and Sachiel is clearly a total Char rip-off. Image But it's now clear that the Eva is more than just a machine. Was that an Angel face on the head under the armor? Wierd. Right now i'm more interested in learning about Rei than anything else. That clearly wasn't her in the street in the first episode, because she appears hours later and miles away as a bloody mess. And what's with Misato? She has a small drinking problem I think. And will that dastardly penguin play the role of the obligitory cutesy mascot animal? Tune in whenever I stop being lazy to find out.

Originally posted on: 26-Apr-2005, 04:35 GMT

MagicianCamille [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MagicianCamille [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:44 pm

It's Misato, not Misuki.

And Pen Pen is the main character.

Originally posted on: 26-Apr-2005, 04:37 GMT

The Eva Monkey [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:44 pm

http://www.livejournal.com/

Originally posted on: 26-Apr-2005, 04:38 GMT

C_U_P [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby C_U_P [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:44 pm

MagicianCamille wrote:It's Misato, not Misuki.

It's whatever I say she is.
MagicianCamille wrote:And Pen Pen is the main character.

Well dang. Now I know why it's label as the "Thinking Man's Anime."

Originally posted on: 26-Apr-2005, 04:39 GMT

Joeshie [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Joeshie [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:44 pm

C_U_P wrote:I sat down after watching this episode and thought about what the title (Unknown Ceilings) could mean, but nothing particularly came to mind. I guess it would just mean that Shinki is finding himself in new places for reasons he doesn't understand.

My guess was that the reference to the different ceilings was that Shinji never really had a home. He was always being moved from one place to another and never had the chance to find a familiar ceiling (home).

Originally posted on: 26-Apr-2005, 04:57 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:44 pm

C_U_P wrote:EPISODE 2 NOTES: This was a better episode. I can successfully declare Gendo Ikkari to be very cool. I hope there is a lot more of him coming up.

That's the cool thing. They keep on getting better, more or less consistently, right up until EoE. There will be plenty of Gendo. Your wish = granted.

I sat down after watching this episode and thought about what the title (Unknown Ceilings) could mean, but nothing particularly came to mind. I guess it would just mean that Shinki is finding himself in new places for reasons he doesn't understand.

Are you watching this anime dubbed, or subbed, C_U_P? I thought it was translated as "unfamiliar" ceilings in the subtitles. Just so you know, the dub for this series, while not neccessarily too bad from the point of view of how it sounds, does take an enormous amount of liberties with the dialog. If you are going to listen to the dub, I recommend putting the subtitles on as well, so that you can see the difference. I'd be interested to hear which you listen to.

With regard to the title, I think it just refers to the fact that when he wakes up in hospital, it's another new place, before he even had the chance to get used to Misato's apartment.

The fight between the second Angel (Sachiel apparently) and Eva-01 was awesome, and Sachiel is clearly a total Char rip-off. Image

Sachiel, yes. There's an episode about half way through where they run down the names of the Angels that they have faced, and you'll hear his name then.

But it's now clear that the Eva is more than just a machine. Was that an Angel face on the head under the armor? Wierd.

I'd like to congratulate you, because some people go the whole series without noticing what you have noticed about the nature of the Evangelions. It would seem that you have the requisite powers of observation to get the best out of this show.

Right now i'm more interested in learning about Rei than anything else. That clearly wasn't her in the street in the first episode, because she appears hours later and miles away as a bloody mess.

Keep those eyes wide open, and that mind wide open. The truth about Rei is never explicitly stated, instead there are numerous clues planted in the course of the series, and you must divine the truth for yourself. I wish you luck. Please note that it is the custom in this forum to not tag spoilers about the series, since it has been complete for many years, and as such, you may wish to be careful not to allow yourself to come into contact with our ideas. If this excercise of yours is to have value, you should draw your own conclusions about this particular mystery, before joining the ongoing debate.

And what's with Misato? She has a small drinking problem I think. And will that dastardly penguin play the role of the obligitory cutesy mascot animal? Tune in whenever I stop being lazy to find out.

Heh. Misato isn't much of a mystery. She's interesting, though. You get plenty of insight into her character in the early part of the series, so stay tuned, and enjoy #03.

Originally posted on: 26-Apr-2005, 11:19 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:44 pm

Hmm. Soluzars avvie reminds me very much of my original one Image

Originally posted on: 26-Apr-2005, 13:29 GMT

Lastie [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lastie [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:44 pm

What anime is it from?

Originally posted on: 26-Apr-2005, 13:39 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:44 pm

Lastie wrote:What anime is it from?

That's Kuno Tatewaki, from Ranma 1/2

Originally posted on: 26-Apr-2005, 14:21 GMT

C_U_P [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby C_U_P [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:44 pm

I'm watching it subbed. It may have been Unfamiliar Ceilings, I was going by memory.,

Originally posted on: 26-Apr-2005, 15:29 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:44 pm

Sharp-kun wrote:Hmm. Soluzars avvie reminds me very much of my original one Image

It was inspired by your original one! A certain somebody once joked that I was reminding them of the Blue Thunder of Furinkan High School, and hence I changed my title to the Crumbling Biscuit of Animenation Evangelion forums. I originally used a still image of Kuno, but I made this yesterday.

Incidentally, I also made, just for fun, a more complex version. It's far to big to use as an avatar, but you never know when you might need something like this...

Yes... I know, it's pointless, but that somehow didn't stop me. Aww well.

I'm watching it subbed. It may have been Unfamiliar Ceilings, I was going by memory.

Wasn't meaning to nitpick you, dude. Just wondered if you were watching the dub. It means the same which ever word was used.

Originally posted on: 26-Apr-2005, 16:00 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:44 pm

This is sort of interesting seeing the way a person goes through it this process of watching, at least I think.

Originally posted on: 26-Apr-2005, 17:10 GMT

crockeja [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby crockeja [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:45 pm

Magami No ER wrote:This is sort of interesting seeing the way a person goes through it this process of watching, at least I think.

Yeah, I'm enjoying this as well. Don't listen to the haters, C_U_P. Continue with this journal thingy.

Originally posted on: 28-Apr-2005, 11:37 GMT

Lastie [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lastie [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:45 pm

Indeed carry on, I'm only four or so episodes ahead of you (although foolishly loaded myself up with so many spoilers I feel I'm only watching the anime for the visual candy).

Originally posted on: 28-Apr-2005, 12:38 GMT

C_U_P [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby C_U_P [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:45 pm

EPISODE 3 notes: I really hope I can get to the point where I can start having interesting theories soon. I'm afraid that reading this may be boring at this point. This was another episdoe that sets up the basics for the series. There's a lot about how the Evangelion units work. The power is supplied power cords? Sounds kinda iffy to me.They would have to give these cords a LOT of slack, and I can't help but wonder how the cord doesn't tangle in Eva's legs. The Eva has fingernails? And human-like skin. Hm. In some ways, I wish they would just flat-out explain the background story here all at once, especially this "Second Impact" stuff. This incident has something to do with the Angels, and it drastically affected earth's environment. Speaking of Angels, this one was a bit too weird for my tastes. It looked a little too freaky/purple.

Originally posted on: 28-Apr-2005, 21:08 GMT

MagicianCamille [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MagicianCamille [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:45 pm

Hideaki Anno used a sock puppet for the Angel battle, and Eva-01 was a man in a suit. (Godzilla reference)

The Angel does look like a puppet though. >.>

And doesn't Touji punch Shinji in episode 3? If so: Image

Originally posted on: 28-Apr-2005, 21:10 GMT

C_U_P [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

MagicianCamille wrote:Hideaki Anno used a sock puppet for the Angel battle, and Eva-01 was a man in a suit. (Godzilla reference)

The Angel does look like a puppet though. >.>

And doesn't Touji punch Shinji in episode 3? If so: Image

Yeah, he did. And yeah, he deserved it. I can honestly say that Shinji now goes down on the list of annoying, whiney, most-hated anime characters. Some of his contemporaries on the list were Katz Koyabashi, Pan, the Excel & Hayat lookalikes, and Kira Yamato.

The whole thing is like a depressed Godzilla-style-movie homage. It's a subtle homage, but the influence is definately there.

Originally posted on: 28-Apr-2005, 21:15 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:45 pm

Oh, there is so much more to go. Image (Your not boring, C U P)

Originally posted on: 28-Apr-2005, 21:21 GMT

C_U_P [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

So doesn anyone else just hate Shinji? I know i'm at leats not going to like him, probably hate him.

Originally posted on: 28-Apr-2005, 21:29 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”