My Eva journal or something.

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Gundampilotspaz [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Gundampilotspaz [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:42 pm

C_U_P wrote:It has the usual formula of "reluctant kid gets forced by his neglecting parent to fight in a big machine to save the earth from big invincible stompy thing."

That is the useal formula? Please supply three examples of other first episodes that followed that.

Originally posted on: 26-Apr-2005, 01:02 GMT

Joeshie [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Joeshie [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:42 pm

Gundampilotspaz wrote:That is the useal formula? Please supply three examples of other first episodes that followed that.

I believe that MSG followed that formula.

Originally posted on: 26-Apr-2005, 01:26 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:42 pm

Sharp-kun wrote:If I see any more of this kind of crap the offenders will be banned. Troubling as that may be to the commentary project I can't/won't make exceptions.

Final warning.

A deathly hush falls over our heroes. There are few greater terrors on the boards than the threat of unconditonal explusion, bereft of recourse or appeal. Will our intrepid adventurers continue their quest to complete the Eva Noob Commentary Project? Can C_U_P bring himself to press on? Will Reichu's translations be enough to guide him? Is the venerable Mr. Tines' wise enough to advice him? Is The Eva Monkey going to contribute? Will OMF be summarily squashed for his insolent lightheartedness?

One thing is certain.

Only You Can Prevent Forum Fires.

Originally posted on: 26-Apr-2005, 01:33 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:42 pm

^You're quite a character, OMFG. (I'm really sorry, I had to. Image)

Originally posted on: 26-Apr-2005, 01:40 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:42 pm

OMF wrote:A deathly hush falls over our heroes. There are few greater terrors on the boards than the threat of unconditonal explusion, bereft of recourse or appeal. Will our intrepid adventurers continue their quest to complete the Eva Noob Commentary Project? Can C_U_P bring himself to press on? Will Reichu's translations be enough to guide him? Is the venerable Mr. Tines' wise enough to advice him? Is The Eva Monkey going to contribute? Will OMF be summarily squashed for his insolent lightheartedness?

One thing is certain.

Same bat time, same bat channel.

The worst is yet to come.

Originally posted on: 26-Apr-2005, 01:55 GMT

MagicianCamille [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MagicianCamille [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:42 pm

OMF wrote:A deathly hush falls over our heroes. There are few greater terrors on the boards than the threat of unconditonal explusion, bereft of recourse or appeal. Will our intrepid adventurers continue their quest to complete the Eva Noob Commentary Project? Can C_U_P bring himself to press on? Will Reichu's translations be enough to guide him? Is the venerable Mr. Tines' wise enough to advice him? Is The Eva Monkey going to contribute? Will OMF be summarily squashed for his insolent lightheartedness?

One thing is certain.

Best Post Ever.

Don't deny it.

Originally posted on: 26-Apr-2005, 02:06 GMT

Gundampilotspaz [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Gundampilotspaz [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:42 pm

Joeshie wrote:I believe that MSG followed that formula.

Though the Gundam was his fathers work, they were not estranged and he did not force Amero to pilot it.

Originally posted on: 26-Apr-2005, 02:06 GMT

Joeshie [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Joeshie [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:42 pm

Gundampilotspaz wrote:Though the Gundam was his fathers work, they were not estranged and he did not force Amero to pilot it.

Well technically, Gendo didn't force Shinji to pilot the Evangelion either.

Originally posted on: 26-Apr-2005, 02:40 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:42 pm

But he sort of really needed him to do it, putting Shinji on a sort of guilt trip.

Originally posted on: 26-Apr-2005, 02:57 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:42 pm

C_U_P wrote:EPISODE 1 NOTES: This episode was very typical of a super-robot show. It has the usual formula of "reluctant kid gets forced by his neglecting parent to fight in a big machine to save the earth from big invincible stompy thing." Nothing was really outstanding to me, aside from the awesome first piece of BGM, the opening, and the awesome animation. I've read about how this show had no budget, and how GAINAX was taking a lot of shorcuts in the animation. This is not budget animation. Everything is detailed and fluid. I find it funny that suck a well-loved series has such a typical and average first episode. I'm sure it'll get better though.

My comments on your comments:

very typical of a super-robot show

I would say "Mecha". Not "super-robot". Evangelion is not typical of the super-robot type.

the awesome first piece of BGM

All hail Shiro Sagisu! The BGM in Eva is one of its stronger qualities all the way through.

've read about how this show had no budget, and how GAINAX was taking a lot of shorcuts in the animation. This is not budget animation. Everything is detailed and fluid.

The show started out with a moderate budget, but the animation got a lot worse towards the later episodes. That's OK, though, because Anno (director) decided to use it as a sort of a stylistic statement, and began using lots of long shots of still images, and other such money-saving devices, to represent certain moments in the show. By the time you get to the last 6 episodes, you will have discovered a fun game: Spot the cost-cutting. Image

I find it funny that suck a well-loved series has such a typical and average first episode. I'm sure it'll get better though.

Yeah #01 sort of sucks in some ways, but It's kind of supposed to suck. What I mean is that it was supposed to mirror the first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam, and other mecha shows - Evangelion works, on a certain level, as almost a satire on other mecha shows, and how similar they all are.

Gets better? Of course it does. Eventually. The series only really begins to shine at about #12 - up until that point, most of what happens is good, and sequentially essential, but does not neccesarily represent the director's best work. #1-#4 are kind of the good side of average, #5 & #6 are excellent, #7 is the low point of the series, then from #8 onwards you have a run of excellence, and then from about #12 onwards is where it becomes outstanding for me. Something like that, anyway. They are all good, even #7 really, just that some are so much better than others.

Originally posted on: 26-Apr-2005, 03:05 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:43 pm

^Solu, I think he meant "such", not suck.^^ He said the first episode was average. Image

Originally posted on: 26-Apr-2005, 03:08 GMT

The Eva Monkey [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:43 pm

Its hardly fair that I should ask an honest question, receive a personal insult, and then be labeled elitist for defending myself and elaborating on my opinion. The last time I saw this sort of close mindedness was in old newsreels where the narration was in German.

Originally posted on: 26-Apr-2005, 03:08 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:43 pm

Gundampilotspaz wrote:Though the Gundam was his fathers work, they were not estranged and he did not force Amero to pilot it.

I personally choose to beleive that it was a deliberate and self-conscious reference to Gundam. It was also a central and essential element of the plot, but I do think that the reference is undeniable. The similaries don't end with Amuro's father inventing the Gundam and Shinji's father inventing the Evangelion, either. I remember an occasion in MSG where Amuro doesn't want to pilot the Gundam, but agrees to, at the last minute, just to protect his friends.

[STUPID]And Sachiel is such a clear Char Aznable rip-off, I mean how much more blatant can you get?[/STUPID] :LOL:

Magami no ER wrote:^Solu, I think he meant "such", not suck.^^ He said the first episode was average.

He almost certainly did mean "such", and I only just noticed that he wrote "suck" - It was my own opinion that in comparison to the rest of the series, #01-04 & #07 suck. Only when compared to the other episodes, mind you - they are perfectly fine episodes, but they are the worst that Evangelion has to offer, and well below "average" for the series.

I didn't even notice his own typo, and I hope I've cleared up what I intended to say.

Originally posted on: 26-Apr-2005, 03:11 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Oh, ok.
_____

Originally posted on: 26-Apr-2005, 03:16 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:43 pm

Wah, I like episodes #01 and #02! They've got Sachi in them! And the Sho/Sachi fight kicks so much arse!

There's Reichu's sense of priority for ya.

SPOILER WARNING! (highlight to read) : [ Oh, yah, technically Gendo didn't 'invent' the Evas; he just happened to be married to the person who was in a better position of claiming such. I don't think it's ever quite been figured out WHAT Gendo did at Gehirn, aside from skulking around in a labcoat. ]

Originally posted on: 26-Apr-2005, 03:26 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

He admired Yui's work from afar, sulked all day(like you mentioned), and went drinking at night. Image

Originally posted on: 26-Apr-2005, 03:33 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:43 pm

Reichu wrote:Wah, I like episodes #01 and #02! They've got Sachi in them! And the Sho/Sachi fight kicks so much arse!

Like I said, they don't suck from the perspective of entertainment, they just represent to me the least that the series has to offer. If you rank things in order of preference, then something has to come at the bottom of the list. In much the same way, if I listed all my favourite anime in order, one would still be at the bottom of the list, and yet it would still be a favourite. Just not as much so as the ones above.

Originally posted on: 26-Apr-2005, 03:41 GMT

Joeshie [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Joeshie [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:43 pm

Evangelion is like a snowball rolling down a hill. Intially it is slow moving and not very impressive. However, it picks up speed and becomes one monster of a snowball as the show progresses. I'm sure that you will enjoy the later episodes much more than the eariler ones.

Originally posted on: 26-Apr-2005, 03:52 GMT

Gundampilotspaz [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Gundampilotspaz [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:43 pm

Reichu wrote:SPOILER WARNING![/b] (highlight to read) : [ Oh, yah, technically Gendo didn't 'invent' the Evas; he just happened to be married to the person who was in a better position of claiming such. I don't think it's ever quite been figured out WHAT Gendo did at Gehirn, aside from skulking around in a labcoat. ]

You beat me too the first part, damn you woman!

SPOILER WARNING! (highlight to read) : [ Gendo must of been at Gehirn becuase Seleel trusted him, which was a big mistake. He must of been a good scienctist and into all kinds of shady doings with the knowledge he got out of second impact, and the fact he was on the team at all. He also was a good commander, not once during the course of the show did he make a mistake, so he could of been at Gehirn because of his organization ability at the top of the chain of command.

There is also the fact of his wife, who was a top biologist and much needed for project E, that could of also aidded him in his raise to the top of Gehirn. ]

Originally posted on: 26-Apr-2005, 04:20 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:43 pm

You know, I really like episode #01. I always found Shinji's reluctance to pilot the Eva to be the most intruiging part of the episode. ...I think it's OK to talk about this now, seeing as how C_U_P has seen it. But keep quiet about the rest!! No HINTS!!

Should we even be posting stuuf behind spoilers?

Originally posted on: 26-Apr-2005, 04:24 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”