Hideaki Anno Supervisor in Petite Princess Yucie? Yuck

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

Gilgamesh
Lilith

Hideaki Anno Supervisor in Petite Princess Yucie? Yuck

•      
  •      

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:14 pm

About a few weeks ago I got the November issue, I believe, of Newtype magazine, and popped the dvd that came with it into my dvd player. On it was a horrible, sickeningly cute anime geared towards girls called "Petite Princess Yucie."

My whole body started convulsing and I was clawing my eyes out during the opening theme song when through the spaces between my fingers I saw that the supervisor for this anime was none other than Hideaki Anno.

Does he like not work on serious projects anymore after Eva?
A person...is a shadow which we can never penetrate, of which there can be no such thing as direct knowledge, with respect to which we form countless beliefs, based upon words and sometimes actions, neither of which can give us anything but inadequate and as it proves contradictory information-a shadow behind which we can alternately imagine, with equal justification, that there burns the flame of hatred and of love.
-Marcel Proust, In Search of Lost Time

Otaprince
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Otaprince » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:47 pm

in a recent newtype interview with Anno, it rattled off the projects he's been involved with in the past few years-- it mentioned storyboarding the Mahoromatic OP, some animation in Abenobashi, but made no mention of Puchi Puri. is suspect this means that this "supervision" involved almost no creative input.

After Eva, Anno directed two non serious anime, Kare Kano and Modern Love' Silliness, then two serious films, Love & Pop and Shikijitsu, and then a non-serious film and anime OVA, Cutie Honey and Re: Cutie Honey. at this rate, his next two works will be serious again :)

i think you need to just accept Puchi Puri for what it is: a show for children. This isn't Eva or FLCL, but from what i saw it's a decent, intelligent show within the bounds of how intelligent a kids' show can be. and, unlike many Gainax anime, it had an appropriate, satisfying ending on the first try...!

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:54 pm

Kids show..i didnt care much about it....Anno did it..damn supriseing..(zzzz)
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:24 pm

Otaprince wrote:After Eva, Anno directed two non serious anime, Kare Kano and Modern Love' Silliness

Hmm, I would disgree on Kare Kano being "non serious". It was slapstick quite often, but it was generally very concerned with character relationships which are in my mind a very serious subject.

But the thing is people assumed since Eva is his most prominant of his works that its representative of his interest in subject matter. Although you must consider it was at the height of his depression when he made it, which he has since moved out of, and become a much happier and confident person. After moving past that, I would want to do fun stuff rather than "drag you through the mud" depressing stuff.

Otaprince
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Otaprince » Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:19 am

while i agree that Kare Kano has a serious side as well, i think it's because that comes from the manga. Anno has said repeatedly in interviews that he was only interested in the comedic parts of Kare Kano, but Masami Tsuda (Kare Kano's creator) insisted that he also portray the romance and serious side. so yes, while Kare Kano ended up with some serious stuff, i think Anno's intent, as you say, was the tackle some fun works after Evangelion.

"I didn't really care much about the underlying struggle [in Kare Kano]; the comedy was what was interesting. The story relied on comedy as its base, and it was very easy to turn the atmosphere of the original into the anime." -- Anno Hideaki, NewtypeUSA July 2003

i've never understood why Anno said that, because i personally think that the underlying struggle in Kare Kano's manga is pretty interesting.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:05 pm

I guess he had his fill of people wanting to psycho-analyze him.

Otaprince
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Otaprince » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:19 am

even 10 years later on the internet :P

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”