Things you missed the first time?

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:21 pm

HimuraProns wrote:That makes sense, i know is that a part of the series takes place in 2015 while the ending takes place in 2016, if you look carefuly it think if you look at end of evangelion (alternate to the last 2 episodes for those who dont know) it loosk like its spring or summer in all the outside shots of the world, so one is led to think that Evangelion the series begins soemtiem before winter becuase i dont rember much signs of it being cold during the series. However this would mean nothing major hapend in December, please note sesne Evangelion takes place in tokyo 3, it snows in tokyo in the winter, sense theres no snow evangelion takes place inbetween spring of 2015 and Fall of 2016.

Second Impact changed the tilt of the Earth's axis, so its basically summer all year round in Japan.

Originally posted on: 08-Jun-2003, 17:03 GMT

saiyajin prince [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby saiyajin prince [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:21 pm

Yea Shinji was telling kensuke this in one of the eps.....it's like summer year round but things were returning to normal

The series deos take place in about 5-6 months.......remember that the angels began to attack more often, like within two weeks there's a new one.

Originally posted on: 09-Jun-2003, 00:50 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:21 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:I wondered if there are any examples in the series of 'red dot = soul'. And what do ya know, I came up with one! In ep16 and in ep25', there are two remarkably similar scenes:

In both cases, the pilots are in mortal danger, as Shinji is running out of life-support, and Asuka is being bomdarded by depth charges. At this point, as the same 'heavenly chorus' theme swells on the soundtrack, the resident soul in the EVA (Yui and Kyouko, respectively) awakens to save her child:

Ooo, a Shin-seiki Presentation I hadn't seen before! And a scene correlation I hadn't ever noticed, as well... Very interesting. (And you have a directory called "Kissing_sux"? lol)

And now I finally 'get' the significance of this shot; Shinji has discovered the soul within EVA!

("Cherry.jpg"? lol) Hmmm, VERY interesting... I'd often wondered about that shot myself. The one thing I hadn't been able to figure out is exactly why Shinji would be holding a soul in his hands; he looks like a kid who's just found something really cool and is going, "Mommy, mommy, look what I've found!" It all seems rather odd to me, since I interpreted the scene as Yui reaching out to him, as opposed to Shinji finding HER. (Same deal with Asuka and Kyoko -- the mother is the one to reach out to the child.)

And there is another "red dot" moment that I can recall offhand. (You've probably noticed it by now, but I'll mention it anyway.) It's from episode #20 before Shinji goes off on his "teki, teki, teki, teki, boku no teki, boku no teki!!!" spiel. If I had to guess, I'd say it represents Shinji's disembodied soul floating around in the 'soup of life' inside the entry plug...

What's interesting is that later we see a bluish glowing dot in place of the red one (while we hear one of Yui's conversations with Gendou, I believe). Of course, when Shinji draws closer to it, we see a symbolic depiction of him entering Shogouki's core. So why is Yui's soul inside the Eva represented as this swirling blue light, while everyone else just gets a little red dot?

Originally posted on: 25-May-2004, 12:48 GMT

SoulfulFX [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SoulfulFX [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:23 pm

Pepperidge wrote:The Spear of Longinus wrapped up in the back of the aircraft carrier in episode... 12 I believe it was.

Yeah, big one for me there.

Originally posted on: 25-May-2004, 12:51 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:23 pm

Esrhan wrote:-Minor Spoilers-

NGE is one of those series which you just have to watch again to find missed parts, right? So do you remember what you missed when you first watched NGE? I'm not talking about the whole plot just some smaller things.

I remember thinking about the mystery of Ramiel's (Floating Fortress) drill. What's he going to do when he gets thru all the armor layers with that drill? Squeeze thru it? Only later when I saw the pyramid right under it did I understand it...

Hey I said that first. My question is still. Even after he got through all the plates of armor he still had a long *** way to go. So I wasn't worried that he'd actually make it.

Originally posted on: 25-May-2004, 13:32 GMT

EVAN -1 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EVAN -1 [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:23 pm

The stupid thing I missed was the background TV shows describing what Asuka's true feelings for Shinji. Even after the kiss and her reaction I just didn't get that sometimes girls calling boys names was a sign of attraction.
"ugg!"

Originally posted on: 25-May-2004, 16:02 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:23 pm

Hey, wasn't that one mystery image in the opening a red dot too? Image

Originally posted on: 25-May-2004, 18:38 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:23 pm

Reichu wrote:Ooo, a Shin-seiki Presentation I hadn't seen before! And a scene correlation I hadn't ever noticed, as well... Very interesting. (And you have a directory called "Kissing_sux"? lol)

Well, that's a pretty easy correlation to make; besides the obvious similarity of the situations involved (Mom to the rescue!), the connection is established both visually (e.g. the vague, sketchy way that Yui and Kyouko are drawn, as if to suggest Shinji and Asuka's hazy memory of the mother they hadn't seen since they were little kids) and especially by the music. In my ignorance I called it that 'heavenly chorus', but now that I've acquired the OST CDs, I now know that piece is called 'Mother is the First Other', which is certainly appropriate to the theme of these scenes.

(BTW, the 'kissing_sux' folder was originally created for this thread)
("Cherry.jpg"? lol) Hmmm, VERY interesting... I'd often wondered about that shot myself.

Here's the shot in the Newtype book:
http://homepage.mac.com/csf2860/Kissing_sux/murmel.jpg

I looked up murmel, and no surprise, it means "marble"; thus it's a "red marble" Shinji is holding, not a cherry.
The one thing I hadn't been able to figure out is exactly why Shinji would be holding a soul in his hands; he looks like a kid who's just found something really cool and is going, "Mommy, mommy, look what I've found!"

Well, it is symbolic, and not to be taken literally Image
It all seems rather odd to me, since I interpreted the scene as Yui reaching out to him, as opposed to Shinji finding HER. (Same deal with Asuka and Kyoko -- the mother is the one to reach out to the child.)

Well, that's true enough; I suppose what I meant by "discovered the soul" is that the soul in EVA has revealed herself to him...
And there is another "red dot" moment that I can recall offhand. (You've probably noticed it by now, but I'll mention it anyway.) It's from episode #20 before Shinji goes off on his "teki, teki, teki, teki, boku no teki, boku no teki!!!" spiel. If I had to guess, I'd say it represents Shinji's disembodied soul floating around in the 'soup of life' inside the entry plug...

Cool... don't know as I had noticed that one.
What's interesting is that later we see a bluish glowing dot in place of the red one (while we hear one of Yui's conversations with Gendou, I believe). Of course, when Shinji draws closer to it, we see a symbolic depiction of him entering Shogouki's core. So why is Yui's soul inside the Eva represented as this swirling blue light, while everyone else just gets a little red dot?

Um, I dunno but recall what a wise man once said: "A false consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds." Image
For some reason, the image of Shinji's soul dog-paddling around inside EVA always cracks me up... lol

Originally posted on: 26-May-2004, 22:36 GMT

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:23 pm

Reichu wrote:("Cherry.jpg"? lol) Hmmm, VERY interesting... I'd often wondered about that shot myself. The one thing I hadn't been able to figure out is exactly why Shinji would be holding a soul in his hands; he looks like a kid who's just found something really cool and is going, "Mommy, mommy, look what I've found!" It all seems rather odd to me, since I interpreted the scene as Yui reaching out to him, as opposed to Shinji finding HER. (Same deal with Asuka and Kyoko -- the mother is the one to reach out to the child.)

I think that the idea of him holding the soul is that because Shinji is about to die, Yui is giving him enough of her life force to keep keep him alive until Unit-01 can burst out of there. Doesn't she ask him something like "Will that be enough?"?

Originally posted on: 27-May-2004, 02:27 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”