The NGE Fan-Geeks Commentary Project

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:58 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Perhaps "Translation Purgatory"; or even more simply and directly: "Traduttore, traditore".

I do not speak your Spanish!

On the non-commentary fanac - if you're still paying for garden-of-tebel, Rachel, then there's a separate bucket to put things in.

Yeah, but that means I'd have to set up a whole 'nother website just for a couple of things that are already Eva-related, and, like, that website is probably never going to happen anyway. I'm just squatting because I can.

I could always hide Akira in a ghetto.

Originally posted on: 23-Jun-2006, 08:00 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:58 pm

Reichu wrote:I do not speak your Spanish!

That's Italian, actually; and quite a well known phrase: lit. "Translator, traitor" Originally coined with the difficulty of preserving meaning and implication between European languages in mind. Japanese is worse.

Originally posted on: 23-Jun-2006, 08:19 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Mr. Tines wrote:That's Italian, actually

I figured. But I wanted to save "I do not speak your Italian!" for whenever you use a French phrase.

and quite a well known phrase: lit. "Translator, traitor"

Reichu is uncultured.

Originally coined with the difficulty of preserving meaning and implication between European languages in mind. Japanese is worse.

Hmm. Maybe I can find the Japanese version somewhere. Image

EDIT: Ah, that was easy.

763;379;773;399;023;999;426;773;290; = Hon'yakusha wa uragirimono.

Doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

Originally posted on: 23-Jun-2006, 08:38 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

I'm aware that it is August and still no Commentary. I've actually finally realized that I would probably rather die than continue doing things the same as before (just at a different forum), so a mere continuation simply will not happen. Once I get home, I will begin investigating the "options" for switching the site over to a totally different, and 452% more efficient (at least) system. There is no other way to exist. Seriously.

Originally posted on: 05-Aug-2006, 05:06 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:58 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:The Femme-Kaworu is a small issue, laughably small, but it is so dangerous that it can bring the entire house of cards down. It is the commentary Antichrist, and I'm half serious about that.

I don't read this thread often, and I certainly don't take any part in this project beyond my currently extant comments, but I just have to say...

<3 <3 <3 Dr. Nick.

Originally posted on: 05-Aug-2006, 05:44 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Please don't rub salt into wounds. It's not nice, mmkay?

Originally posted on: 05-Aug-2006, 06:00 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:58 pm

Reichu wrote:Please don't rub salt into wounds. It's not nice, mmkay?

I can see how you'd take it that way. However, I'm simply stating my complete and total agreement with Dr. Nick, admittedly in an unconventional manner.

You can choose to view it as rubbing salt into the wound if you wish. I prefer to believe that Dr. Nick was acting in your best interests and in the best interests of your project, and for that, I admire him. I am quite certain that he has no personal ax to grind with you.

Our differences of opinion on the direction of NGE analysis pre-date this particular tiff you've had with the good Doctor, and when I happened to read this thread today, I was pleased to see that he has chosen to support what I have always seen as being the correct position in this matter.

In truth, he and I have discussed this matter briefly via email, but since the bulk of the posts in this thread are expressing support to some extent for the Reichu camp, I thought it would be rather nice to balance matters somewhat by casting my support firmly to the Dr. Nick camp.

I can only tell you that I have no reason to wish to rub salt into your wounds, since I do not bear you any ill-will. To the perforce limited extent that I am involved in this discussion, my only intent is to express my opinion on Dr. Nick's stated position.

Originally posted on: 05-Aug-2006, 06:12 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:58 pm

Please, Soluzar, don't bring up this old conflict anymore. I'm not especially proud of the things I posted back then.

@ Reichu: What is it this time? I don't want to downplay your obviously stressful captain's job, but we've seen "AAAh I can't do it!" announcements like this before.

Originally posted on: 05-Aug-2006, 07:03 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:59 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:Please, Soluzar, don't bring up this old conflict anymore. I'm not especially proud of the things I posted back then.

As you wish, sir. I wasn't really aware that it was such an old conflict. It remains my opinion that you should be proud of those things, but this is the first time that I have felt whimsical enough to read the commentary thread since that time. You have both now heard my last word on the topic, except through private means of communication, if you desire.

I don't want to downplay your obviously stressful captain's job, but we've seen "AAAh I can't do it!" announcements like this before.

Far be it from me to even attempt to put words in Reichu's mouth, but as long as I am here anyway, I should point out that this isn't an "I can't do it" announcement. This is an "I can't do it this way" announcement. I'd suspect that she has some plans for a better way to create the comment tables, which seems logical enough. If not that, then the next most logical candidate would be something regarding screenshots.

*disspears in a puff of apathy once more*

Originally posted on: 05-Aug-2006, 07:10 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:59 pm

Soluzar wrote:I should point out that this isn't an "I can't do it" announcement. This is an "I can't do it this way" announcement.

"You are correct, sir!"

I'd suspect that she has some plans for a better way to create the comment tables, which seems logical enough. If not that, then the next most logical candidate would be something regarding screenshots.

I was thinking more along the lines of "better way to do the entire project" -- meaning, a way in which things actually get done. This will involve switching over to a system where forward progress does not rely so completely on me, creation and modification is more spontaneous, and labor is cut down significantly. Basically, the only way FGC will ever grow beyond its current paltry state at anything faster than an abysmal snail's pace (= Speed of Doom) is if I, in essence, "give power to the people" (e.g. other contributors/participants). A Council of Elders could be in place, and all of the changes would liberate Reichu to do the things that Reichu must do.

So I'm thinking along the lines of a Wikimedia system tailored to suit our needs. OMF was working on some kind of improved commentary system a while back -- I'll have to ask him what that was all about.

Changing things completely is rather ambitious, and I don't know how we'll pull it off, but it will be lightyears ahead of what we have now. The site is a testament to my inability to handle so much responsibility. Time to open things up.

Originally posted on: 05-Aug-2006, 22:07 GMT

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:59 pm

Reichu wrote:So I'm thinking along the lines of a Wikimedia system tailored to suit our needs.

Umm...

I hope that doesn't meant that people will be able to edit each other's posts and wreck havoc upon the project. Is Wikimedia anything like Wikipedia?

Originally posted on: 07-Aug-2006, 00:16 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

The "spontaneous editing" of pages has innumerable advantages over whatever the hell I'm doing right now. There is absolutely no reason why things would need to degrade into havoc. Anonymous users would not be allowed, only registered ones. There would be rather particular guidelines about contributing and editing (etc.), and violators (plus any damage dealt by them) could be easily dealt with.

Aside from the commentary itself, I have long wanted FGC to be host to a broad range of other resources. The ANF forum (and EMF, too, to a lesser degree) exemplifies the level of quality content that has been generated and posted over the years. Changing the FGC site's system would allow multiple individuals (including the body of trusted familiars) to post the same sort of content -- only compiled, ultimately, into organized pages/articles, rather than scattered across hundreds of posts in dozens of threads. So much material for the site could be eked from what already exists, and that is a task that many people other than myself can do.

Wikip/media doesn't create bad Eva pages -- people create bad Eva pages.

Originally posted on: 07-Aug-2006, 02:28 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Not much today -- just wanted to let people know that I added listings for a bunch of stuff on the Supplemental Images page. LOTS of animated GIFs, some more screenshots, stuff like that.

Originally posted on: 13-Aug-2006, 07:52 GMT

Ornette [ANF]
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:59 pm

cooolio, some broken links tho ("Rei disengages; hand-in-hand", "Two Men, One Dream...", are 2 I can think of offhand).

But what about this one (Reichu inspired)! http://www.tesuji.org/images/animate...hinji_rofl.gif

Originally posted on: 13-Aug-2006, 19:41 GMT

felineki [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby felineki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:59 pm

You're also welcome to put my Eva-01 "NO U!" in the 4chan-inspired idiocy section if you wish. Image

Originally posted on: 13-Aug-2006, 19:43 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Broken links? OH CRAP...

Strangely enough, those were both pics I'd been meaning to add... (But you know me.)

Originally posted on: 13-Aug-2006, 21:01 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”