Commentary: Episode #04

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:35 pm

And, a few years later, we have this:

Originally posted on: 13-Aug-2005, 17:15 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Sound familiar?

Originally posted on: 13-Aug-2005, 17:15 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

But wait, there's more! My pal thewayniac noticed this as he was watching the next series by Gainax, KareKano (His and Hers Circumstance), also directed By Anno:
(from ep16; a flahback to when Yukino's parents first met as children)

Originally posted on: 13-Aug-2005, 17:16 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

I'm beginning to detect a pattern here...

Originally posted on: 13-Aug-2005, 17:17 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:36 pm

And while he's at it, Anno throws in another NGE reference:

I should mention that the girl on the right is patting on the sand in exactly the same way Shinji does in the Sandbox Scene in EoE.

Well, that line can be taken more than one way...

Originally posted on: 13-Aug-2005, 17:17 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:36 pm

^5 Who should Gargoyal be compared to? Image

Originally posted on: 13-Aug-2005, 18:36 GMT

RyoTD [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby RyoTD [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:36 pm

@ Shin-seiki: Intresting, though I havne't seen the anime in question.

Originally posted on: 14-Aug-2005, 14:39 GMT

Treize X [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Treize X [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:36 pm

I have a few more comments, now that I look over the schtuff.

066 ~ What's the point of writing on the road that there's an elevator ahead? I wasn't aware that roads ran through or very close to elevators in Japan, or anywhere else, for that matter.

082 (after Magami) ~ I actually never saw that as a cross until you pointed it out. I suppose because the "arms" are too high, but who knows.

088 (after Sharp) ~ Yeah. When you look at the scenes before and after, I don't think the art really matches.

115 ~ Misato doesn't have too much faith in Shinji, eh? =P

129A (after Sharp) ~ Methinks it's that someone recognizes him. He thinks he's fairly far from the city, and that he won't run into anyone he knows, and would be left alone. But then Kensuke appears, and voila.

153 ~ I'm curious as to how Nerv security found him, and as we'll find out a few screens later, after he was gone for two days. Makes you wonder about their efficiency.

178 ~ How long does reconfiguring the data really take? I mean, they were ready to do it in #01, and so on, but they never tell you how long it takes, it's simply emphatically mentioned (most likely it takes a relatively short bit of time).

213 (after Wayne) ~ Maybe he works out. =P

234 (after Wayne) ~ Cue the angst!

244 (after Reichu) ~ Coffee break?

267 (after Reichu) ~ Especially considering how "highly" he thinks of Misato. =P

Yeah...comments. Whee. Image

Originally posted on: 14-Aug-2005, 15:15 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:36 pm

Treize X wrote:066 ~ What's the point of writing on the road that there's an elevator ahead? I wasn't aware that roads ran through or very close to elevators in Japan, or anywhere else, for that matter.

Tokyo-3. Eva-elevators. Ring any bells?

*chop*

Originally posted on: 14-Aug-2005, 17:00 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:36 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:It should also be apparent that Kensuke bears a considerable resemblance to Gainax's previous techno-nerd, Jean Rocque Raltique:

For what its worth I already made this observation in episode three.

However the rest is rather good. I feel like I should already know this, but did Annos mother (or parents) die when he was young? Or is this just a theme he likes working with. Parents are often MIA in anime though, either because they are either dead or overseas.

Originally posted on: 14-Aug-2005, 19:54 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:36 pm

tv33 wrote:For what its worth I already made this observation in episode three.

However the rest is rather good. I feel like I should already know this, but did Annos mother (or parents) die when he was young? Or is this just a theme he likes working with. Parents are often MIA in anime though, either because they are either dead or overseas.

It's such an overdone theme, that you have to think hard come up with anime titles where the main characters do come from intact families, as opposed to the scads and scads of orphans.
On the topic of Gainax orphans, can anyone come up with any other examples of this semi-obligitory "Hey, we've both got dead parents!" scene? I know the main characters of Gunbuster and Mahoromatic are orphans, but I don't recall this sort of scene in either one offhand...

Originally posted on: 15-Aug-2005, 08:09 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:36 pm

I believe "Grave Of The Fireflies" would be the quintessential example.

Originally posted on: 14-Aug-2005, 22:59 GMT

Balder [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Balder [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:36 pm

true but i cant remember a scene its just known but this could be because i havent watched it in a while

Originally posted on: 15-Aug-2005, 07:14 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:36 pm

Well, if I'm going to pretend the rest of the posts on the forum don't exist (and spare my time and attentions accordingly), I should at least acknowledge the commentary threads Biscuit hasn't moved yet. (Move that bootie!)

Hexon.Arq wrote:005 - One wonders how festively ornamental she actually is, given all the crap she must have stowed away in those boxes. (What practical treasures could they be housing?)

What's green and goes "uin-uin"?

026 - Perhaps AWL was trying to be philosophical, like that "tree falling in the woods" thing. "The Japanese have no word for 'I'. Whooosh!"

:stares at Hexon blankly:

027 - "Oh, now I remember you kids -- you almost died and got us all killed! How're your moms?"

:evil chuckle:

030 - That is a somewhat bothersome hand.

Why?

041 - It's kind of funny -- the first time I saw this, I took the line "I have to go back" to mean that he needed to go back home. It's sort of ambiguous in that way.

What else would the line mean...?

046 -

Don't they use it again in Episode 13?

Oh... crap, they do, don't they? I'll have to fix that.

062 - I always found it kind of odd how Shinji, a(n allegedly) straight 14-year-old boy, would be annoyed at the prospect of this kind of show taking place before him rather than intrigued. It just screams, "opportunity for Paul Rubens mischief". The accusations of perversion later on are beyond ironic; he seems to be a damn prude.

Don't get OMF started!

093 - Hmm, I never quite noticed the colors before. It brings to mind a description of the Angels' physical properties in the following episode.

I've put Shin-seiki's relevant observation (from "The Nature of Rei, Again") on hold until episode #05.

158 - These insults were especially confusing in the dub, in which one girl shouts, "Girl!" (Note: I haven't heard the dub in a great while, but I'm fairly certain I heard that being called out.)

Curse you, now I'll have to put the dub on to see if you're right or not.

@Shin-seiki: I spy another "commentary supplement" appendix!

Treize X wrote:082 (after Magami) ~ I actually never saw that as a cross until you pointed it out. I suppose because the "arms" are too high, but who knows.

A cropped cross is still a cross.

088 (after Sharp) ~ Yeah. When you look at the scenes before and after, I don't think the art really matches.

Isn't that basically what Sharp said?

153 ~ I'm curious as to how Nerv security found him, and as we'll find out a few screens later, after he was gone for two days. Makes you wonder about their efficiency.

They always accomplish their directive when it is narratively convenient.

213 (after Wayne) ~ Maybe he works out. =P

I suspect Shinji's primary source of brachial exercise is... erm, nevermind.

@Dr. Nick: Hey, love the avatar! (Re: the mad Jigglypuff with the Red Pen Of Death.) But who is the REAL "Editorial DAEMON"? Image

Originally posted on: 23-Aug-2005, 04:56 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:36 pm

Reichu wrote:Curse you, now I'll have to put the dub on to see if you're right or not.

Trust me, it is there. I mentioned it in the "Lost Comments" text file, don't you remember? For the love of god, use those files! I created them to make your work easier! Image

But who is the REAL "Editorial DAEMON"?

Originally posted on: 23-Aug-2005, 07:34 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:36 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:Trust me, it is there. I mentioned it in the "Lost Comments" text file, don't you remember? For the love of god, use those files! I created them to make your work easier! Image

B-b-but I can't revise the old pages until I'm done with #05!

Trust me, I WILL use them. I did watch "Raid" eventually, didn't I? (Well, okay... I'll watch the movie tonight or something.)

Originally posted on: 23-Aug-2005, 13:49 GMT

Supercat [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Supercat [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:37 pm

Well, I hope it's not too late to add in my own two cents, but here goes:

007-- I really like the detail of Misato scratching her leg here. It's just a small little thing that wasn't all that necessary, yet the fact that it's there is almost amusing... It's the sort of the thing real people do absent-mindedly all the time.

030-- (In response to Hexon.Arq) Yeah, I agree that there's something funky going on with that hand. It looks... wrong somehow. The fingers seem a bit shorter than they should be, maybe? Also, the position is weird, when you think about it. Consider how close the hand is to her face, and the fact that it's not coming from an angle at all (as in, the hand is completely straight from the ground... Err, I'm not really explainging it too well, but hopefully you see what I mean). If you try out that position on yourself, you may see that it feels unnatural... You have to scrunch up your arm just to do it. Well, that's how it was for me, anyway.

048-- It always amused me how campy this movie seemed. When you think about it, it's almost like a mini parody of the whacko science used in Eva, and also definitely a nod off to sci-fi B movies in general.

075-- Compositionally, this is an interesting shot. It's almost exactly like shot 120 in Ep. 3. Does this kind of shot get used again later on?

109-- (In response to Mr. Tines) I don't feel Shinji's really being a "jerk" here... Though he is (purposefully?) provoking Misato's anger.

111-- "Anyway, I'm the only one who can pilot it, aren't I?" This line always struck me as interesting, because of what it implies. Though Shinji has made it clear that he doesn't really want to pilot the Eva, here it makes it sound almost as though he did. If he really didn't want to pilot it, why would he say something like that, even if it were true?

112-- A hint of a smile? Why would he be smiling...?

145-- (In response to Treize X) It may simply be Shinji being a bit naive, but that is a good question.

161-- A dark room indeed. Seriously, it seems a bit weird to stick him in a room so dark... There's really no reason to do so, other than to make the scene look much more dramatic.

171, 172-- Again, Shinji's dialogue seems to say that perhaps he really does want to pilot the Eva, deep down. Throughout this entire conversation, he keeps creating excuses for why he should pilot the Eva, even though he says he doesn't want to... He certainly isn't helping his case.

173-- Yeah, not only is there no eye-contact, but you can hardly even see their faces at all, too.

177-- Geez, can we get a close up of that shot, maybe? The art looks awesome. From what I can see, anyway.

180-- Ritsuko, concerned about Rei? That's new. A funny little contrast when you consider how psycho she gets about her, later on.

213-- (In response to thewayneiac) I don't know, his wind up looked surprisingly fierce, apart from the eye-closing thing.

223-- Awww, Toji's so protective in his brutish way.

269-- Whoa, totally didn't see THAT coming!

Whoa, that was long... Guess I had a lot to say.

Originally posted on: 30-Aug-2005, 16:13 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:37 pm

Transferred to the Commentary forums.

Originally posted on: 12-Oct-2005, 00:28 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”