Character Pages

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:11 pm

Reichu wrote:
The segregation might be tricky in places -- i.e., when an item is so small it doesn't deserve a T&A page to itself. That matter probably belongs in the proper thread.
My advice is to create a mini-T&A directly on the page. I'd suggest a new name though as "Theory and Analysis" is a bit too heavy for the minor things. Perhaps "Speculation" or some stronger variation on that? "Theory" and "Speculation" aren't all THAT different without getting into semantics. So perhaps for small things we can just have a "Speculation" bit at the bottom?
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:13 am

I think the pages for the three separate incarnations of Rei are completely unnecessary, at least at this very moment. I request coverage within the main (and currently rather stubby) Rei article, and we can see what happens from there.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:06 am

Yeah, that makes more sense.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:27 am

Dr. Nick wrote:I mean, I am uncomfortable with the assumed phenomenon of LCL undergoing some kind of change being mentioned at all in the encyclopedia.

So we're going to ignore the fact that it changes color and allows normal speech and blood loss physics, then?

No offense, but you're being awfully dogmatic about this.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:40 pm

BobBQ wrote:No offense, but you're being awfully dogmatic about this.

The correct word would be "paranoid", I'm hardly consistent enough to deserve to be called dogmatic. And as was just shown, a little tinkering with wording will get us a long way. I'll compile my thoughts on the relevant talk page, once I'm feeling a bit less of a zombie.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:59 pm

OK Reichu, I'm officially calling you out for vandalism of the Yui page. It's a mess in there, and even without the history page, it would be clear where the decided lack of NPOV edits were coming from. Have you been at the sinus medication again? Seriously, it's supposed to the Ikari Yui page. The "Yui-sama" page is destined for the Geeky Guide or Destrudo sections.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:06 pm

Um... begging your pardon? What's wrong with the page, exactly? It's totally not finished, so I left an "outline pending total destruction" at the bottom (which I churned out really, really fast) that might be of assistance to others, if I didn't get to it first. Eventually the whole thing would have the same tone as the "Life" section.

In other words, you're sounding a WEE bit paranoid. You sure YOU don't need some of my meds, ol' chap? :tongue:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:56 pm

Yui Ikari Page wrote:Yui wanted to become a green-eyed monster, hence why Gendo couldn't get her out

Don't leave this kind of stuff lying there on the page. You can use the talk page for that. if it's required, or better still a subpage of your own user page. It looks, really bad just lying there. It was a bit of a shock, which is why I had visions of another "Time of Revelations" being upon us, hence my paranoia.

The page does have a lot of information best left to notes, etc, and a good deal of information that isn't about Yui at all. I'd edit it myself, but it's easier to just complain.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:17 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:It looks, really bad just lying there.

1. The website isn't currently public, so no one with a sense of context should really care. ;)
2. It's intentionally supposed to look bad. I figured it would make people want to get rid of it faster.

Since the site isn't public and all, my mental processes deduced that there wasn't anything wrong with just leaving unrefined cues right there in the pages. As, you know, cues. If the site was being viewed by anyone other than editors, I obviously wouldn't be doing that sort of thing.

But I can slap to-do lists into discussion pages if it really freaks you out that much.

It was a bit of a shock, which is why I had visions of another "Time of Revelations" being upon us, hence my paranoia.

-_-;

The page does have a lot of information best left to notes, etc, and a good deal of information that isn't about Yui at all.

I was being comprehensive. Can't you, like, go pick on those character pages that have virtually no text at all instead? :crybaby:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:30 pm

Question that I sorta brought up on this page:

http://evacommentary.org/FGP/Talk:Asuka_Langley_Soryu

How exactly do we decide what's fact and what's not (e.g.: stuff that should instead go onto Theory and Analysis pages)?

Case in point: Asuka's Roman Bath in 24(') and Shinji trying to drown at the start of 25'. In my opinion both cases seem to be clear suicide attempts after what happened to both characters at that point in the series, but I know for whatever reason, things like this are speculated while other things are given as facts, no questions asked (and of course, I can't think of any examples to get my point across...).

So. Yeah. Halp? :unsure:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:11 pm

This whole area is a complicated one...

Shinji's wet head is a bit on the straightforward side, so you can presumably include that one with "softener words" without any problems.

The Roman bath stuff veers towards "shitstorm". On Asuka's page, I would banish mention to a note that briefly summarizes the issue and redirects to a (nonexistent) T&A page.

while other things are given as facts, no questions asked (and of course, I can't think of any examples to get my point across...).

Questions may be asked at any time. Nothing is safe.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:10 pm

Rei-chan wrote:Questions may be asked at any time. Nothing is safe.

Very good point. I seem to be forgetting that this IS Eva, afterall. >_<

Oh, and shitstorms=teh sux.

Random note I wanted to point out: the Shinji's Sexuality archived ANF page links to the one about Common Misconceptions. And that makes me a sad panda. :crybaby: (Granted, I know the boy's clearly straight, but... I guess I wanted to see what it said about Kaworu-kun.)

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:47 pm

Hmm...

All right, for a good number of the cast, I've got partial drafts of what I'm interested in adding to their character pages. I've not done every character, or satisfied with my drafts, but close.

But I'd like to ask: who would be up for replacing the "Psychology" heading with the more neutral "Profile", since we're removing the specific diagnoses?
"No live organism can continue to exist sanely within conditions of absolute reality; even dragonflies and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream"--Shirley Jackson
I liek Shinji
LiveJournal and Fan Fiction

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:49 pm

Incisivis wrote:But I'd like to ask: who would be up for replacing the "Psychology" heading with the more neutral "Profile", since we're removing the specific diagnoses?
I second the motion. The title is too much of a temptation for the writer to devolve into Freudian psychoanalysis. We should avoid psychoanalytic reference as a rule, except where they constitute part of a larger analysis.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:23 pm

I was the one (probably that started going into the character's Psychology (not any of that Freud crap :tonguegrin: Only their problems, Shinji: Depression/Anxiety, Asuka: NPD) which is why it has that heading.

Feel free to change it since what we're talking about IS their profiles instead.

Also, be sure to read the talk pages for Asuka and Shinji, it goes more in depth (IIRC) on what should be done...

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:36 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Feel free to change it since what we're talking about IS their profiles instead.

Permission accepted. First my material needs some polishing, but it's happening.

Also, be sure to read the talk pages for Asuka and Shinji, it goes more in depth (IIRC) on what should be done...

Already done so. And interestingly enough, I was already on that track.
"No live organism can continue to exist sanely within conditions of absolute reality; even dragonflies and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream"--Shirley Jackson
I liek Shinji

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:23 pm

Reichu wrote:Shinji's wet head is a bit on the straightforward side

Try telling that to some of the members of the EMF. >_<

Speaking of which, I've been becoming concerned that people spending time on here will cause things to go crazy on EMF topic/Mod-wise and all that.

I dunno, maybe it's just me. *shrugs*

So, Site-wise, how exactly do you know what's speculation and what's not with info in Eva? Or does that again deal with the whole "Questions can be asked at any time" point?

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:08 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:
Reichu wrote:Shinji's wet head is a bit on the straightforward side

Try telling that to some of the members of the EMF. >_<

Speaking of which, I've been becoming concerned that people spending time on here will cause things to go crazy on EMF topic/Mod-wise and all that.

I dunno, maybe it's just me. *shrugs*

So, Site-wise, how exactly do you know what's speculation and what's not with info in Eva? Or does that again deal with the whole "Questions can be asked at any time" point?

That's an issue I've been having, but my idea right now is to fine-tune the profile additions until I'm reasonably satisfied with them, and then let the discussion pages and the other users tear them apart.

Though a few quick questions:

Is it all right to use the Geektionary term "transition guide" in the character profiles? Obviously the forms that the tg's take are important to some character descriptions...

I realize that the character profile shots from the OP provide a consistent and easy source of images, but maybe it might look better to have screencaps from the series as a character image? I know it'd be hard to agree on what constitutes a "defining shot" of a character, and maybe *that's* why the OP images are used, but I'm just throwing that out there.
I liek Shinji

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:20 pm

but maybe it might look better to have screencaps from the series as a character image?

That's how I feel about the issue.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:25 pm

We could try a montage. Somebody could experiment.

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”