Eva Unit name standard?

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

V
Banned

Eva Unit name standard?

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:04 am

What should be the formal (standard) way to refer to Evas?

Eva 01, Eva-01, EVA-01. I think using an all-caps “EVA” is garish (it’s not an acronym)….the big question is….do you want the “official” version to be with a dash or not? Eva 01 vs Eva-01? Should the “formal” name, for that matter, be Unit 01, or Eva 01, or do we always have to write-out “Eva Unit 01”? *or* is it okay if we just use a mix of each?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:22 am

relevant quote:

Reichu wrote:
Ornette wrote:
Reichu wrote:Eva(ngelion) #gouki --> Eva(ngelion) Unit ##
#gouki --> EVA-##

Note how the proper abbreviated form substitutes "-ngelion Unit" with a dash. The capitalization derives from the fact that I don't think I've ever seen "Eva-##" in my Japanese stuff.

I'm a little confused here. Which one is the preferred usage?

Oh, I was showing how the Japanese designations are officially rendered in English. I basically means that you either use the expanded form of "Eva(n)gelion Unit ##", or the abbreviated form "EVA-##", but not "Unit-##" (or variations thereof) by itself, due to the fact that cannot recall ever seeing this usage in Japanese stuff.

I'm fine with that. I suppose the only other thing that you brought up was whether it should be "EVA-01" or "Eva-01". Although "EVA-01" is seen in the show itself, it could be a simple usage of a single case (uppercase) text thing.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:56 am

Eva 01 and Eva-01 = okay

Unit 01 and Unit-01 = bad

That's the way I use it anyway.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:11 am

Official abbreviation use in the show itself is "EVA-01". Personally, I think that really is garish, so "Eva-01" (with the hyphen) looks like the best choice.

I think we might as well have all abbreviations usable, all redirecting back to the main "Evangelion Unit-01" page. The "Unit-" abbreviation is something that is in use however, as it is the English counterpart to the frequently used "-goki" postfix in the show, so we really can't drop it.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:20 pm

I won't yell at someone for using Unit 01 or Unit-01, but I personally won't use it too much (unless of course, just to vary up the wording; i.e. I menting "Eva Unit 01" 10 times in one paragraph, I need to vary it up a bit)

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:44 pm

We can always edit it later. In fact, it may be possible to automate this process with a bot! the bot would seek out "EVA-01", "UNIT-01", "Unit-01" links, and correct them to the site default. We can even change the site default later. I'm not sure precisely how to go about this yet, but I'm fairly sure it's possible.

So it may be a good idea to create some redirects.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:26 pm

I actually try to avoid using bots for anything except like, automatically adding in licensing tags to images, because they can uncontrollably edit stuff we might not want changed. If ever we decide to make a massive change, I wouldn't mind just spending 4 hours re-writing everything (as opposed to just relying on the bots)

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Eva Unit name standard?

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:00 am

V wrote:I think using an all-caps “EVA” is garish (it’s not an acronym)

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:Official abbreviation use in the show itself is "EVA-01". Personally, I think that really is garish, so "Eva-01" (with the hyphen) looks like the best choice.

I think so too, but Reichu really likes that all-caps variant, so she might use her veto power here.

But it is my opinion that if we're going to go by the "that's the way it's written on-screen" rationale, we must be consistent with it. Therefore,

if EVA-01, then NERV, SEELE, GEHIRN etc,
but if Eva-01, then Nerv, Seele, Gehirn etc.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Eva Unit name standard?

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:11 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:But it is my opinion that if we're going to go by the "that's the way it's written on-screen" rationale, we must be consistent with it. Therefore,

if EVA-01, then NERV, SEELE, GEHIRN etc,
but if Eva-01, then Nerv, Seele, Gehirn etc.

But remember, though we more often see EVA on the screens in the show, that is not necessarily the "vernacular" for the written form of the word if you will. Certainly, every subtitle I have ever read uses "Eva" exclusively. The official 500pt EVA labels at Nerv HQ may not be the intended way of using the abbreviation in the midst of other text.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:34 pm

Things designated by two or three letters followed by a dash and some numbers tend to have said letters all in caps, so "Eva-##" looks rather strange to me.

As for the expanded form, I don't think the dash is necessary. (I.e., "Evangelion Unit ##" rather than "Evangelion Unit-##".)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:52 pm

Reichu wrote:Things designated by two or three letters followed by a dash and some numbers tend to have said letters all in caps, so "Eva-##" looks rather strange to me.

As for the expanded form, I don't think the dash is necessary. (I.e., "Evangelion Unit ##" rather than "Evangelion Unit-##".)

I will get to finalizing and fixing that in a minute. Let me finish getting the content up.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”