oooh! Pointless nostalgia!

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

oooh! Pointless nostalgia!

•      
  •      

Postby Kiel » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:31 pm

Hey, does everybody remember, back in 1997 or so, searching frantically for those Evangelion fansubs?

Or does anybody remember the first time they bought Evangelion on VHS/DVD? How it was all clean and shiny, right out of the shrink wrap?

Or how 'bout when me, Dave, Timesplitter-01, Asuka Langley, and the gang went down to the beach, and Eva Monkey wore a leather jacket and sunglasses, then he jumped over sharks on water skies? Ehhhh!

Okay, I made that last one up.

But does anybody remember the good ol' days back when Eva was new?
Before Adult Swim, before live action movies, and before started coming here and reminising about Eva?

I do,

do you?
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

Gilgamesh
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Gilgamesh » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:40 pm

No, not really, I only got interested in anime and Evangelion last summer. Before that I was quite convinced that all anime was either retarded crap like DBZ and Pokemon or disgusting hentai with tentacle rape quasi-incest pedophilia.

The closest thing that I can get to that is the feeling that I got when I received my Platinum Collection Vol. 1 of Evangelion with the series box. But heck, that was only a few weeks ago.

ShoKenju
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ShoKenju » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:47 pm

now let us pet the nostalgia

-pets nostalgia- -licks nostalgie- -eats nostalgia-

mmmm nostalgia
a man within the trap of one sided love is a man torn beyond his imagination.
-----------
Reason = Virtue = Happiness

Cogboy
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Cogboy » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:16 am

whats it called when you long for the future?

cause platinum isn't coming out till november 17th here. :(

all ive ever had are my almost complete tapes from cartoon network and a fansubbed EOE on my computer.
"My point? "Sick and Depraved" is a banana." - Soluzar.

"I have those frameless glasses and shit. And emo glasses, but I broke them 'cause I got angry. :( " - Shnooks.

"Old quotes are old" - Cogboy

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

Not to burst anyone's bubble...

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:51 am

Well...yeah.

I do remember those days...there were a pain in the-you-know-what!

Anime was so damn expensive! And hard to find even on the internet!
I bought the whole evangelion series on VHS for $25 for every two episode tape!

I think evangelion, and anime, fandom just gets better with age.
With the platinum DVD releases, the conclusion to the manga in sight, mountains of merchandise available domestically, and a movie (or three) to look forward to, I have very little use for Eva notalgia.

I'm loving it now.
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:46 am

i remember the first time i had seen eva..i was like 7 wo i was kind of bored but i was amazed at my friend, who had memorized what they had said in Japanese line for line....

Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kiel » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:12 pm

I can vividly remember the night I first saw Neon Genesis Evangelion.

It was the summer of 2003, at CNAnime I had just bought the complete DVD boxed set of Eva...

...which I proceeded to watch all the night, the whole thing, back to back for about 6 hours.

I didn't get any sleep that night, but in the long run...it was well worth it.

And now, here I am.
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:31 pm

Kiel wrote:Hey, does everybody remember, back in 1997 or so, searching frantically for those Evangelion fansubs?

Or does anybody remember the first time they bought Evangelion on VHS/DVD? How it was all clean and shiny, right out of the shrink wrap?

Kiel wrote:I can vividly remember the night I first saw Neon Genesis Evangelion.

It was the summer of 2003, at CNAnime I had just bought the complete DVD boxed set of Eva...

Get your stories straight Kiel. As for me, my memory of Eva is a bit muddled. I remember seeing it on Cartoon Network, but I also remember that I had seen the show before; I don't know when. I eventually borrowed the perfect collection from a friend somewhere near the end of 2002. So, as you can see, I have no idea when and where I first saw Eva. :?
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

KamaKase
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KamaKase » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:27 pm

...nope. Only watched Eva for the first time in December last year. Saw a wallpaper of Asuka on the net, searched for the name (which, luckily was on the WP) found juzzam's site (or whatever) saw Asuka was a child (the animated gif at the top was misleading), then read something about card captors (I still thought anime was just a rare cartoony type thing for children). Then I did it again, as I didn't think that anyone would make an adult char from a kid in a "kids show". Bothered to scroll down the page.

D/loaded the first 2 eps, then the next two. and the rest is history. I only went on the forums to try and understand EoE...(which I hated at the time), and am still discovering stuff today. But I beat the rush to find out about the EVA:LA project. Which was nice.
As seen many.

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:16 pm

Okay heres my eva story.....

Walk-ed in to libaray, saw Manga of Eva(which i didnt know it was manga or what the hell manga was) Went to vid section saw the movie (ep1). Got addicted to anime. Lost some of my sanity after I saw all the Eva there is to see. Found this site in hopes of better explain the world of Eva.
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:28 pm

Dark FireStar wrote:Okay heres my eva story.....

Walk-ed in to libaray, saw Manga of Eva(which i didnt know it was manga or what the hell manga was) Went to vid section saw the movie (ep1). Got addicted to anime. Lost some of my sanity after I saw all the Eva there is to see. Found this site in hopes of better explain the world of Eva.

....nice story..
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:30 pm

Well whats your story 7th child??
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:45 pm

Dark FireStar wrote:Well whats your story 7th child??

i have said it on another topic...and i don't think that this topic is about stories..
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kiel » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:00 pm

Get your stories straight Kiel. As for me, my memory of Eva is a bit muddled. I remember seeing it on Cartoon Network, but I also remember that I had seen the show before; I don't know when. I eventually borrowed the perfect collection from a friend somewhere near the end of 2002. So, as you can see, I have no idea when and where I first saw Eva.

Just because it's not a memory of mine, doesn't mean other people didn't search for Eva fansubs.

I first heard about Eva from friends who were into the series long before I was.
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:27 pm

when was it first released anyways? i thought it was 1998?

KamaKase
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KamaKase » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:02 pm

I thought 95/96.
As seen many.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:19 pm

oh...
and why did cartoon network take it off the air?

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:58 pm

To respond to the topic directly: no.

Actually, I might. I remember an article in a (I think it was) GamePro magazine circa 1999. Of course, me being totally uninterested in anime at the time, I didn't read it, however the images stuck in my memory until about a year and a half ago when net surfing brought it all back to the surface. Were it not for the vague memory of the article, I might never have become the thing that I am.

I really wish I had either read that article or kept the magazine.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Quiddity
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:37 pm

sadsadshinji wrote:oh...
and why did cartoon network take it off the air?

It was a one time special, thats all. They never intended to air the entire series, it was just part of 'Giant Robot Week'.
"Quiddity is the sea. And in it are islands, called the Ephemeris. Three dips in the dream-sea. Any less, and we'd be insane. Any more and we wouldn't be human"

Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kiel » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:49 pm

It was a one time special, thats all. They never intended to air the entire series, it was just part of 'Giant Robot Week'.

Really? How much of the series did they show? (I don't get Cartoon Network).

Even if it is on cartoon network, Eva on tv would've been pretty cool.

Makes me look forward to friday even more.

(Fridays on YTV they show anime like InuYasha and Witch Hunter Robin)
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”