Look! A shirt with the best pilot

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Foodistasty
Embryo

Look! A shirt with the best pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Foodistasty » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:38 pm

http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/Tees/WebExclusives/Evangelion+Kimoto+Girls+T-Shirt-10235657.jsp
LOOK EVERYONE LOOK <3 IT'S THE BEST PILOT ON A SHIRT!
Why.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:42 pm

Polyester? :( Why can't it be cotton?

Still, nice to see an official/fitted girl's Eva t-shirt, for once.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:11 pm

Pretty sure this isn't official.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:37 pm

You seemed to have posted the wrong link. You said best pilot but all I see is Ayanami.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:55 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Pretty sure this isn't official.

Hot Topic has printed/licensed official Sailor Moon shirts recently, so I'm thinking it is.

delispin25
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby delispin25 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:56 pm

NOOOOOOOO!
GODDAMMIT! FUCKING HOT TOPIC, YOU FUCKING RUIN EVERYTHING! GODDAMMIT!

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:12 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Hot Topic has printed/licensed official Sailor Moon shirts recently, so I'm thinking it is.

Did they go through Viz or whatever for that?
I'm pretty sure no one in the west has Eva merchandising rights.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:52 am

Doesn't Great Eastern Entertainment/Animation have the rights? They also have rights to various Sailormoon goods.

Edit: For the lazy :tongue:

Eva http://www.geanimation.com/infoonly/characters_list.aspx?CharacterID=225

Sailor Moon http://www.geanimation.com/infoonly/characters_list.aspx?CharacterID=236

( http://geanimation.tumblr.com/ and https://twitter.com/geanimation, too)

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:28 am

Why is all their Eva shit sold out...
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:43 am

It's more of a listing of what they sell. Try Amazon or RightStuf to buy things.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:30 am

Well at least GE has somewhat legit looking copyright notices on some of their products. Still shady looking, especially with a site that clearly hasn't had an overhaul in over a decade

Either way my personal policy will remain to buy directly from Japan and not give filthy gaijin middlemen any money.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:40 am

That's probably wh they use Twitter and Tumblr. Trust me, they're legit. ;) I have merch of theirs from 10 years ago and have newer ones today.

As for that Rei shirt, I'm assuming Hot Topic knows better than to sell bootleg stuff but I dunno.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:50 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:Why is all their Eva shit sold out...
Only resellers can order from GE Animation directly.

That Rei shirt is a GE design and they have an Asuka too.

I have a couple Eva merch that GE has put out but their stuff is not the highest quality. Would likely get it if I wasn't paying retail though. The one thing I am happy with is their Asuka button. Would not wear a Rei button but they could have used a much better image.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:39 pm

Shame. See that Asuka daki they have is the one I saw at Otakizzle, but from what I've seen the only version of it available is the same as the one that was there: the image is printed directly onto the pillow instead of on a pillow case. I can't even find a high res version of it to get a custom one made, either.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:05 pm

Aww... I thought it was gonna be Touji.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:07 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Still shady looking, especially with a site that clearly hasn't had an overhaul in over a decade

They are straight outta Compton.

View Original PostCJD wrote:I can't even find a high res version of it to get a custom one made, either.

Those are based on the blister packaging for the Pajamas Time figures. Found a high res scan of the Asuka one (can PM you the link) but not the Rei one.
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:44 pm

Hahah nice I have that fig. Do pm pls, maybe I can work with it to get something worthy of my waifu.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:59 pm

Since Great Eastern came up in this topic, I noticed that they too arose in ANN's latest Answerman column. Here's the relevant discussion:

InvalidName asks:

Right Stuf's Shawne Kleckner's comments about anime merchandise on last week's ANNCast, particularly merch for mid-tier franchises and not just big hits, reminded me of the company "Great Eastern". I saw their name and logo on a Cowboy Bebop wallscroll I bought at Anime Weekend Atlanta a decade ago and assumed they were an importer, but looking at their Facebook page, I gather they're more of an actual licensor/manufacturer. What can you tell us about this company?

Great Eastern Entertainment is a company that I didn't know a lot about either, but I know they've been around forever, and I occasionally hear about them acquiring new merchandising rights for anime shows. I reached out to their CEO Kent Hsu, who was nice enough to spend some time on the phone with me to fill in some cracks.

Great Eastern was started in 1995, when Hsu -- a lifelong manga addict who owned a gigantic Chinese-language manga store in Southern California -- tried to strike up some licensing deals to become a manga publisher. The companies he approached rebuffed him -- they already had distribution strategies in place -- but suggested that he might try his hand at the merchandise market instead. As it so happened, Hsu's family in Taiwan had been doing manufacturing for decades, and had connections everywhere in that world. So that's what he did.

As of today, Great Eastern is the leading manufacturer of licensed anime and manga merchandise for the US market, with offices and manufacturing in Los Angeles, Taiwan and in Mainland China. It's still a fairly small outfit -- only 80 people --despite having hit licenses for shows ranging from Naruto and Bleach to Free! and Hetalia. The company keeps a low profile. They maintain the Facebook page you linked to, as well as a Twitter account, but they don't bother getting a booth at anime conventions. "If I went to Anime Expo, of the 200 or so booths there, probably 70 are selling my product. I wouldn't want to compete with my customers like that," Hsu explained.

He needs the support of retailers, since bootleg merchandise is rampant, still accounting for 85% of the market, he estimates. Most consumers can't tell the difference, and many retailers love the lower costs. "Bootleg manufacturers have complete freedom. They don't have to get approvals, they don't have to pay royalties, and they can move a lot faster. They also can manufacture a lot more at a lower cost and sell worldwide, where we can only sell in North America."

Still, things are good these days, despite the limited retail space given to anime products, and the virtual firehose of new shows constantly coming out of Japan. Hsu can only juggle around 200-300 shows at a time, but he constantly bids on new shows, just to stay an active participant. Product is sold online and through specialty shops, as well as through stores like Hot Topic, Books-A-Million, TransWorld and Hastings. But with over 2,500 products available, no retailers can carry it all. Product lines range from keychains and T-shirts to wall scrolls, posters, headbands, bobblehead figures, towels and nearly anything else you can think of.

Hsu is still a fanboy, and still reads a lot of manga (though it's mostly seinen stuff these days). He's also trying to expand into non-anime properties too (with dedicated non-anime staff -- last time he tried this, he realized he didn't care about non-anime stuff and let the product lines wither). But his overall goal is still trying to make cool stuff that makes fans happy, to the extent he's allowed to by licensors, at least. "I really wanted to make a Death Note notebook, but the licensor wouldn't allow it," Hsu lamented. "They were too worried that someone would get their name written in the notebook and then get murdered, and somehow they'd get sued for it." Which, sadly, IS something I can totally see happening.

TL;DR

They have been around since 1995.

"As of today, Great Eastern is the leading manufacturer of licensed anime and manga merchandise for the US market, with offices and manufacturing in Los Angeles, Taiwan and in Mainland China."

"[Hsu] needs the support of retailers, since bootleg merchandise is rampant, still accounting for 85% of the market, he estimates. Most consumers can't tell the difference, and many retailers love the lower costs."

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”