AT Field Orders Of Magnitude

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

AT Field Orders Of Magnitude

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:18 pm

Some thoughts came to me recently while reviewing episode #13, and I thought I might beg your indulgence and engage, just for fun, in the following little mathematical/physical aside. The results are in fact quite interesting. If you liked Mr Tines' thoughts on GNR putting the Impact into Third Impact, then you're going to love this.

During episode #13, Rei is connected via the dummy body system to Unit-00, and the the technicians begin to generate an AT Field. The field is "generated at output of 2 yocto". The resulting AT field presumably then awaken's or stimulateas Iruel.

Yocto is an International System of Units (SI) unit prefix. It stands for 10^-24 units. Thus, one yoctogram is 10^-24 grams, one yoctolitre is 10^-24 litres, and 4 yoctometres is 4*10^-24 metres. 10^-24 is of course an extremely small number.
10^-24 = 1/1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 = 0.000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001 = (one trillionth of one trillionth).

Amazingly among all the ambiguity, we've finally been given one number, so why not play around with it just a tad. The following tries to establish a very rough relative comparision between the AT Fields of ordinary humans, and that of the Angels. Needless to say, under current standards, the following probably constitutes "overanalysis", or in other terms, excessive meticulosity, but I think it is interesting all the same.

Let's denote unit of AT field strength as AT*. From the episode, we know that the output of Unit-00 here was 10^-24 AT. Let's denote the AT field strength of an average human as: h AT.

Let's now assume that the AT Field Iruel responed to was at least greater than or equal to the AT Field due to the any nearby humans. Furthermore, assume that AT Field strength obeys an inverse square law. That is, AT field strength is proportial to 1/(d^2) where d is the distance from the source.

Let d1 be the distance from Iruel to the nearest humans, in the Pribnow Box, say.
Let d2 be the distance from Iruel to Unit-00.

From the above assumptions:
The AT field strength expierienced by Iruel due to the nearest human is: h /(d1^2)AT
The AT field strength expierienced by Iruel due to the Unit-00 is: 10^-24/(d2^2)AT

From the assumption that the field due to Unit-00 is at least greater than the field due to the nearest human, we have that: (EDIT: I needed to use ≤ instead of a straight less than owing to new peculiarities with BBcode)

h/(d1^2) AT ≤ 10^-24/(d2^2) AT

Thus

h AT ≤ 10^-24 * (d1/d2)^2 AT

Lets now assume what the magnitude AT, one unit of AT Field, represents. Let's not assume it is the order of magnitude of Evangelion "combat" operation. Let's instead assume it represents the order of magnitude of the very largest AT fields. Those of Lilith and Adam for example. This might make sense, as Adams AT Field might well be the metre stick on which all subsequent AT Field were judged.

So let Adam/Lilith's AT field output equal 1 AT. Just as a possible reference.

h AT ≤ 10^-24 * (d1/d2)^2 AT

Next lets assume d1 = 50m and d2=500m. these seem reasonable rough guesses for the distances involved here.

So (d1/d2)^2 = 1/100 and we have

h AT ≤ 10^-26 AT

Conclusion:
From the above loose assumptions we have that the average human's AT Field is 10^-26 times smaller than that of Adam/Lilith's. That is, a humans AT Field is only one hundreth of one trillionth of one trillionth that of Adam/Lilith's. It would then take approximately one hundred trillion, trillion humans to match Adam/Lilith's AT field, give or take a few orders of magnitude.

For some comparison purposes, the earth has a mass of approximately 6 trillion trillion kilograms.

*We no not know the dimension of the AT field, and hence do not know the dimension of AT. In fact, the unit may even be dimensionless, paticularly given the context in episode 13. Nonetheless, we deal only with numbers in this dimension, so the above is still valid.

** Here, one trillion is one million millions.
Last edited by ObsessiveMathsFreak on Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:03 pm

I didn't understand the math. But I understood the conclusion :)
I wonder if Adam/Lilith give a small part of their soul to their creations? "We are all splinters of the One Soul (God)"

This puts into perspective just how mighty Adam/Lilith's souls are compared to to the Lilim's. Neat post

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:24 pm

This is incredibly pointless. If I understood it correctly, you derived it all from your absolutely arbitary assumption of what "1 AT" is, which AFAIK is not supported at all by the show. This is like analysing the treknobabble from ST:VOY.
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

superdoughboy4
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby superdoughboy4 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:04 pm

Zugzwang wrote:I didn't understand the math. But I understood the conclusion :)
I wonder if Adam/Lilith give a small part of their soul to their creations? "We are all splinters of the One Soul (God)"

This puts into perspective just how mighty Adam/Lilith's souls are compared to to the Lilim's. Neat post

If Lillith and Adam were to come together as one, and spread it's AT Field, let's just say, that we wouldn't be here right now.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:35 pm

Space Penis wrote:This is incredibly pointless. If I understood it correctly, you derived it all from your absolutely arbitary assumption of what "1 AT" is, which AFAIK is not supported at all by the show. This is like analysing the treknobabble from ST:VOY.

You're right of course. There's no way of knowing what manner of AT Field 1 AT represents. However, it seems a safe assumption that, at the very least, Adam/Liith's AT Field would be a first order (10^0) magnitude AT Field. That is, the AT Field scale would presumably be chosen in such a way that the AT Fields Nerv deals with regularly would not be of an unecessarily high or low magnitude.

In other words, it's reasonable to assume that whatever 1 AT is, Adam/Lilith's AT Field is greater than this.

poetic_assassin
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby poetic_assassin » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:31 am

Those were SOME thoughts!?

Hiromakuta
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Hiromakuta » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:23 am

poetic_assassin wrote:Those were SOME thoughts!?

Sure they are. I mean, they aren´t difficult, right?
What?

poetic_assassin
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby poetic_assassin » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:45 pm

Hiromakuta wrote:

Sure they are. I mean, they aren´t difficult, right?

No. I understood them word-for-word. :D

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:32 pm

It was only the one or two, spelt out in my usual windbaggish fashion. When you've spent a significant percentage of your life looking a the equations of gravity, electromagnetism and mathematical equations, as soon as someone gives you a number, you can potentially do something with it.

This kind of thinking isn't that far fetched, or uncommon. Just look at the case of poor Geoffrey I. Taylor who by only looking at a declassified film of an atomic explosion, estimated the bomb's energy to such a high degree of accuracy, that he was put under investigation by allied intelligence!

superdoughboy4
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby superdoughboy4 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:54 pm

LoL!
Are you serious?
That guy must've been a genius...

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:12 pm

'Twas elementary my dear superdoughboy...

...Actually it took painstaking research into dimensinoal analysis, and not a few assumptions which relied on the shher scale of the bombs energy. You couldn't use his method for regualar bombs.

But you can, just maybe, use mathematics to estimate the orders of magnitude of fictional AT Fields in Evangelion.

poetic_assassin
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby poetic_assassin » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:06 am

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:'Twas elementary my dear superdoughboy...

...Actually it took painstaking research into dimensinoal analysis, and not a few assumptions which relied on the shher scale of the bombs energy. You couldn't use his method for regualar bombs.

But you can, just maybe, use mathematics to estimate the orders of magnitude of fictional AT Fields in Evangelion.

Cool. What are you, a teacher or something? 'Cause you should be.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:09 pm

I am, like all of us, adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that I can at last reach the shores of reason and respite.

poetic_assassin
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby poetic_assassin » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:57 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:I am, like all of us, adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that I can at last reach the shores of reason and respite.

...Yep. You should be a math teacher and a philosphy teacher.

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Re: AT Field Orders Of Magnitude

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:20 pm

Needless block quote of an entire post that's on the SAME DAMNED PAGE excised.

Well,looks like your username speaks the truth: YOU ARE A MATHS FREAK!!!

I didn't get one word of your comment, and I'm betting all my cash that not even God could decipher that! Nor the MAGI, for that matter!
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:31 pm

you'll understand it when you learn algebra (shouldn't you be learning that now?)

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:34 pm

On second thoughts, I read over it much more carefully again, and about half of the stuff I understand. But..it's still..kinda...not my type sort of mathematics. Ha ha ha! And, yes, I have already learnt algebra, but before, I think I just skimmed over it without reading it, and that's why I was slightly flabbergasted at such complexity. :P
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

Big Panda
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Big Panda » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:04 pm

*me reads the math*

Huh... this doesn't sound difficult, but it is difficult enough.

*rolls to the end*

So, basically you did all that from just ONE line of episode 13?

God! You guys never cease to amaze me. Fanwanking with NO boundaries.
I guess it's time for a decent sig right? NAHHHHHHHH

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:05 pm

Ornette wrote:you'll understand it when you learn algebra (shouldn't you be learning that now?)

LOL, I forgot it.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:35 pm

Hmm-hmm. Great job on the math, OMF, although you haven't taken into account the fact that there were multiple human ATFs near Ireul. Even with all the assumptions, that is a helluva impressive calculation. Wow!

The Birmingham theorem is very interesting, although I admit it's been a while since I've been through higher mathematics. My wretched math teacher and the Indian schooling system's obsession for marks have permanently blunted any interest in mathematics. Still, I understood enough of the Atomic Bomb calculation to understand its simplicity and effectiveness.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”