Evangelion 3.0+1.0: 2020

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
The Cruel
Banned

Re: Shin Eva - Official Social Media

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:48 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:New "introduction" page on the website

エヴァがついに完結する。
2007年から『ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版』シリーズとして再起動し、『:序』『:破』『:Q』の3作を公開してきた。その最新作、第4部『シン・エヴァンゲリオン劇場版』の劇場公開が決定。
人の本質とは何か? 人は何のために生きるのか? エヴァのテーマは、いつの時代にも通じる普遍的な核を持っている。
シンジ、レイ、アスカ、マリ、個性にあふれたキャラクターたちが、人造人間エヴァンゲリオンに搭乗し、それぞれの生き方を模索する。
人と世界の再生を視野に入れた壮大な世界観と細部まで作り込まれた緻密な設定、デジタル技術を駆使した最新映像が次々と登場し、美しいデザインと色彩、情感あふれる表現が心に刺さる。
スピーディーで濃密、一度観たら病みつきになるその語り口は、興行収入80億円超えの大作『シン・ゴジラ』も記憶に新しい庵野秀明総監督による独特の境地。
その庵野総監督がアニメーションのフィールドで創作の原点に立ち返り、新たな構想と心境によって2012年の『ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版:Q』以後、封印されてきた物語の続きを語る。

1995年にTVシリーズ『新世紀エヴァンゲリオン』でアニメファンのみならず、アーティストや学者までを巻き込んで社会現象を起こした初出から、実に25年――その間、常にエポックメイキングであり続けた「エヴァンゲリオン」の、新たな姿を見届けよう。

Machine translation (a better translation would be useful)

SPOILER: Show
Eva finally concludes. Since 2007, The "Evangelion" series has been restarted, and the three films of the ": Genesis", ": Fracture" and "Q" have been released.
The new film, Part 4, the theatrical release of the "Shin Evangelion movie version" was decided. What is the essence of a person? What do people live for?
The theme of Eva has a universal nucleus that runs through the ages.
Shinji, Ray, Asuka, Mari, and his character are on board the Android Evangelion to explore their way of life.
A spectacular view of the world with a view of the revival of the world and the precise setting that was elaborated, the latest video that made full use of digital technology appeared one after another, and the expression with beautiful design, the color, and the emotion sticks to the heart.
Dense speedy, the narrative that become addicted once seen, the unique stage by the General Director Hideaki Anno in memory also blockbuster [thin Godzilla] beyond the box office income of 8 billion yen.

The Anno Director Basics to the origin of the creation in the field of animation, and talks about the continuation of the story which has been sealed since the Rebuild of Evangelion: Q in 2012 by a new conception and the frame of mind. Not only anime fans in the TV series Neon Genesis Evangelion in 1995, from the first appearance that caused a social phenomenon involving artists and scholars, indeed 25 years-meanwhile, always continued to be epoch-making "Evangelion",
Let's make a new appearance.

I presume "What is the essence of a person? What do people live for?" is the theme of the movie.

The Summary for FINAL makes it sound more like it 'll be more like Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049. Honestly BR is indeed a Eva live action film, similair in themes,settings and characters, with Replicants having similar roles as Evas and Angels.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

one-eyed
Ramiel
Ramiel

Re: Evangelion 3.0+1.0: 2020

•      
  •      

Postby one-eyed » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:51 pm

I've always been extremely skeptical about this fourth film, but I must admit that it fits with Eva's bizarre numerology: from 2007 to 2020 it's 13 years, this would be the fourth film, 2020 equals 2 + 0 + 2 + 0 = 4. and 3.0 + 1.0 visually resembles 13 and the sum four.
These numbers always were harbinger of misfortunes: 13th angel, Eva 13, Four Evas fighting. etc. It remains to be seen whether Anno will continue to follow the superstition or will try something new.

Personally I think Anno will continue as him has always been. The Preview spoke of a gruesome last stand for Wille so I'm already prepared.

Joseki wrote:What is the essence of a person? What do people live for?

The answer to these questions is easy:
“Find his/her purpose. Humans are born without purpose, but they find purpose.They forge their own paths.”

”Those who have a “why” to live, can bear with almost any “how”.

The harder it is to demonstrate convincingly, without it are just beautiful words blown in the wind.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:54 am

Partially off topic, but the teaser reached 2.9m views in 12 days, that's a lot for an anime. Detective Conan is the "king" of the anime box office in Japan and this year's movie has only reached 2.5m views.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:55 am

Yeah, I payed attention.
Also interesting how the promo reels for the first three films increasingly had more views (released on the same King Records channel) with 3.33 being the most popular, over 1 million.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

KRandMJ
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby KRandMJ » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:28 am

How long until Spoiler protection kicks in?
EvaGeeks is a nightmare to navigate, still good tho.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:24 am

View Original PostKRandMJ wrote:How long until Spoiler protection kicks in?

Precedent is day of actual release -- i.e. as soon as people who have actually seen the film start posting (and their reports get copied here).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:25 am

View Original PostThe Cruel wrote:The Summary for FINAL makes it sound more like it 'll be more like Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049. Honestly BR is indeed a Eva live action film, similair in themes,settings and characters, with Replicants having similar roles as Evas and Angels.

I don't want to get too hopeful over a machine translation, but it seems that a big part of Shin will cover the post N3I world and the efforts to repair the world, which would tie with Mari's advice to Shinji to learn about the world.
I would really like it to be the case.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:11 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:I don't want to get too hopeful over a machine translation, but it seems that a big part of Shin will cover the post N3I world and the efforts to repair the world, which would tie with Mari's advice to Shinji to learn about the world.
I would really like it to be the case.

In regards that only a part of the post N3I world was shown in 3.0, this 'll indeed be the case with FINAL.

BR 2049 explored the world of BR further combined with the changes the black out in 2022 and the collapse of the eco-system brought, making it similar to a post apocalyptic world.

Civilization can still exist in a post apocalyptic world, depending on the means and it will be hard for those who live in it to imagine that it was a better place once.

Instead it's only a decaying memory.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

ArtyumR
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ArtyumR » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:00 pm

there is no impediment to living in a post-apocalyptic and dead world.
people get used to it very easily, they can even rebuild a society.
living in a wasteland is not so bad in fact, of course if you have people by your side.
If you're alone, it's just like being dead.
Shinji's problem is that the people he appreciated are dead, accepting that fact will be able to leave without problems.
Shinji will most likely become cynical and apathetic, with the final film ending with a
"But there is still hope"

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:33 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:I don't want to get too hopeful over a machine translation

The language used is extremely generic promo material stuff. It's designed to sound like it's saying something profound, when in fact it's not really saying much of anything at all. The pilots are trying to figure themselves out? Humans are trying to rebuild their world? Nooooo, really???
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:24 am

It just occurred to me that in 2020 Evangelion: 1.0 will be 13 years old, older than NGE was when 1.0 came out. I would really like to know how much of Anno's original idea remained unchanged during those years, and how defined was his idea for the ending at the time.

I don't whish for a delay, but had it been released in 2021 they would have mirrored the 14 years timeskip in 3.0.

KRandMJ
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby KRandMJ » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:14 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:I don't whish for a delay, but had it been released in 2021 they would have mirrored the 14 years timeskip in 3.0.

It probably will be delayed.
EvaGeeks is a nightmare to navigate, still good tho.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:42 am

Can’t get delayed.

Khara has teamed up with Toei & Toho for wider distribution and a budgetary boost. They’re teamed with the big boys now who have set rules.
If Toei & Toho are anything like American film distributors their business is built around set projects hitting pre-ordained financial quarters for their big blockbuster projects. Toho & Toei don’t play it as intensely as American studios I’m sure - Disney for one pretty much has their entire release calendar set for the next five years, they’ll move things around a bit but things are pretty much in place - but I would bet they follow by similar like rules. If a trailer for Eva 3.0+1.0 in 2018 says the movie is coming out in 2020 then that means Toho + Toei have a pretty good idea when they want the film to come out, have provided Khama with a deadline and they’ll release the film in the financial quarter in mind to appease stockholders. Eva Final will be a big deal for both studios in 2020 - not just for the film but for the next boom in Evangelion merchandise the film will create - and only way they’ll let Anno delay the film till a later year and fuck up their plans is if they have a equal or greater replacement.

They’re no longer playing independent and be all loosey goosey with finishing the film

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:46 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Khara has teamed up with Toei & Toho for wider distribution and a budgetary boost.

Ya know, with Toho now a part of the mix, could this lead to an eventual Netflix release like with their Godzilla anime?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:14 am

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Ya know, with Toho now a part of the mix, could this lead to an eventual Netflix release like with their Godzilla anime?

With two years to go, anything could be possible. That said, Shin Godzilla never showed up on Netflix to my understanding and was distributed by Funimation. Seeing as Funimation has released the first three Eva movies, don’t think that’s about to change.

I kinda wonder about Khara and these things, I mean, with the current international anime market being bolstered by streaming services, you’d think they would have licensed the streaming and blu-ray rights for the og series by now, but no. Nor does there seem to be any indication that’ll happen anytime soon. Let’s also not forget it took four years to get 3.33 released due what may have been mostly Funimations fault, but still was bizarre. So for the final movie, I have no idea how western distribution will go down, but we will see.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:18 am

Shin Godzilla is on Amazon Prime Video right now in various countries including Japan, so maybe that instead of Netflix.

A streaming run is so far away that things will probably change in the meantime.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:29 am

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:With two years to go, anything could be possible. That said, Shin Godzilla never showed up on Netflix to my understanding and was distributed by Funimation. Seeing as Funimation has released the first three Eva movies, don’t think that’s about to change.

I kinda wonder about Khara and these things, I mean, with the current international anime market being bolstered by streaming services, you’d think they would have licensed the streaming and blu-ray rights for the og series by now, but no. Nor does there seem to be any indication that’ll happen anytime soon. Let’s also not forget it took four years to get 3.33 released due what may have been mostly Funimations fault, but still was bizarre. So for the final movie, I have no idea how western distribution will go down, but we will see.

I am hoping it'll be significantly better. Didn't Anno have some words to say in recent years about distribution in the west as regards anime in general. I think it was around the time the Animator Expo stuff was going on.

I am hoping that given the many years that have passed since it's release, the way the anime market has developed in that time, that they will get it a release as close to the Japanese one as possible. We'll wait and see I guess.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:50 pm

If Netflix gets it that would rule out a theatrical release of any kind. Plus these are different levels of projects alll together. Shin Godzilla made $2 million in the States during its theatrical run & a lot more on home video. The anime Godzilla movies are cheapie placeholders - first anime Godzilla only made $3 million total in Japan - until Toho can get back to making films after the restrictions in place with their Warner Brothers/Legendary contract are up in 2020. Not to mention Funimation owns the rights to the first three Rebuilds and won’t be giving them up. Netflix would only get access to Final and then Toho could never make a cut off Final Blu-ray sales, Rebuild boxsets (which will happen) and any future home video releases.

Funimation will be open to paying top dollar for Final because it could end up being their biggest theatrical + home video seller of the next five years and that will drive the price up. Netflix has the deeper pockets but won’t be willling to pay top dollar for a single anime film.

Nah. Funimation will get Final.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:01 pm

^ Agreed. Also, Netflix’s “deeper pockets” usually go to their own original productions and things like that. They’re not gonna spend their top dollar on other people’s content; they’re going to spend it on themselves. Funimation doesn’t do very big original content (and their internet originals barely count as anything other than another addition to the loud, indistinct noise of YouTube,) so they’re more likely to shell out more money for the licensing of bigger films and tv.

robersora
Laissez-faire in Moderation
Laissez-faire in Moderation

•      
  •      

Postby robersora » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:47 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:I don't whish for a delay, but had it been released in 2021 they would have mirrored the 14 years timeskip in 3.0.

That hurts real bad.

I'm burning to know what actually happened behind the scenes with Funi's Q release... Something must have happened. I just hope they wanna market Final more internationally this time around. I don't think it would make any sense for Netflix to be involved, tho. Their business practices are almost the polar opposite of what Final is (a sequel to a foreign movie not owned by them). But it's gonna be two years until then, so who knows, what's gonna happen, lol.
The fact that the official page now has an English option give me hope - even if it just has the disclaimer that pirating will be punished for now.
2Q||3.33 _ 神殺しを行う
Decadent Stoned Slacker Socialist

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”