"New Unit 02"

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

Re: First official image of "New Unit 2"

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:11 pm

Evangelion 3.0+1.0 is just around the corner!

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:18 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:The look feels extremely familiar to me, too, but I just can't place it.

Can I say, that this looks very much like the headpiece on Gurren Lagann? That was Imaishi's work, who worked as a key animator on NGE. (And, of course, stayed on at Gainax to produce TTGL.) This might be what you're reminded of. Same samurai-style headgear.
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:52 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:I'm lovin' it.®

Now where's my god damn model kit of it?

My. Very. FIRST. THOUGHT!!!

Come on Revoltech! Do your thing!
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:13 pm

Looks more like a combination between 01 and 02 instead of 02 and 08.

Great design though.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Re: First official image of "Unit 08+02"/"New unit 02"

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:08 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Solid!

People flipped out about the very cheap looking Two-Face Evangelion from the teaser at the end of 3.0 but I could always tell that was just a temp model for the teaser.

Should be an interesting Evangelion in the film. Possibly a dual piloted Unit with Asuka & Mari.

Asking the important question: Who sits in who's lap?
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:21 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Asking the important question: Who sits in who's lap?

Chuckman. Asking the important questions.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:09 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Asking the important question: Who sits in who's lap?

If it's not a dual entry plug system (which would be my first guess), I would think Asuka would sit in the chair itself, while Mari would attempt a sly, unnoticed lap sit. (Kinda like how a big dog tries to sneak onto your lap without you noticing, or someone attempting the "yawn technique" to get their arm around their SO in a theater.) Shikinami responds sorta like Soryu did in Episode 8 when she had to share a cockpit with Shinji, but Mari is having way too much fun to care.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:39 am

Doesn't a double entry system require synchronization between the pilots, and that is why Shinji and Kaworu played homoerotic piano duets?
Mari and Asuka would probably argue even before the mission starts, try to do a step forward and fall face down like Shinji against Sachiel. :lol:

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:50 pm

I'd say Asuka on Mari's. Mari's bigger so Asuka would see better in the front. :wink:
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:12 pm

After many hours of intense probability trance I have concluded that Mari would get in the plug first and expect Asula to sit on her lap in a mocking fashion.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:14 pm

The more I consider that Asuka is in the desert with idiot boy and wonder girl, the more likely I consider the possibility of Mari solo piloting the repaired Unit-02.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:22 pm

You guys all need to consider the possibility that Anno might pull an Anno again and have none of the plot ideas suggested in the preview trailer from the previous movie end up in the final film and is just baiting us.

Also, if the rejected storyboards from 2.0 are anything to go on, we already have our answer in who sits in whose lap:

SPOILER: Show
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:39 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Also, if the rejected storyboards from 2.0 are anything to go on, we already have our answer in who sits in whose lap:

SPOILER: Show

Feels so right.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:01 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:You guys all need to consider the possibility that Anno might pull an Anno again and have none of the plot ideas suggested in the preview trailer from the previous movie end up in the final film and is just baiting us.

Agreed. This is more or less where I was coming from in my post.

I think the plot could be kept pretty tight if Asuka and co are still in the desert when Gendo makes his move. Mari would be the only pilot available right away. This will leave Asuka and Shinji left as observers; Asuka would want to go in and help, while Shinji would be reluctant and unable to find his will to continue. Shinji would eventually find his purpose and then yadda yadda, gets in the robot, saves the day, etc. The end.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:39 pm

Which makes you wonder how he's gonna get his robot back, will it pop out alien style or be thrown out of the wunder. Then again there's always Unit-13, maybe with Kaworu's ghost or with Rei.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:47 pm

I really hope Eva-08 doesn't get cannibalized for parts. It was barely damaged at the end of 3.0, and it would be WAY easier to get 08 up and running again than to rip 08 apart to get 02 up and running again. 08 is a really cute unit (reminds me of a cockatoo) and a nice addition to the line-up. I want to see more of it!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:57 am

As you said taking parts from Unit 08 to repair Unit 02 doesn't really make sense given the amount of damage it sustained, so I'm inclined to think that both Units will be repaired during the movie.

Celepito
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Celepito » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:20 pm

View Original PostSettie wrote:Which makes you wonder how he's gonna get his robot back, will it pop out alien style or be thrown out of the wunder. Then again there's always Unit-13, maybe with Kaworu's ghost or with Rei.

I was thinking it would be a mockery of EOE, Shinji on the bridge overlooking the fight with the MP-Evas, followed by Unit-1 reaching towards him and the emerging from the Wunder like it did from the HQ in EOE.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:30 pm

Maybe Misato will chose to let Shinji in Eva 01 turning off the Wunder and putting all her faits in him. The rest of the crew will be shocked by this decision but she's the woman in charge and that would the typical almost-suicidal decision by Misato.

Eva 01 activating on its own it has been done already in EoE, and I don't think the Evas are even capable of doing anything without a pilot inside in the Rebuilds.
Last edited by Joseki on Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:34 pm

There's just one problem with that. Unlike NGE, the Unit-01 of the film series shows almost no autonomy without its pilot. The closest we got was it rejecting the Dummy Plug. Remember episode 1 where we saw that famous scene of its hand protecting Shinji from falling debris? Removed from NTE, and i doubt it was for no reason
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”