Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Re: Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:12 pm

It occurs to me that Michael Keaton's Vulture may be the greatest villain to come out of the MCU so far. I guess a lot of people complain about the lack of decent villains in Marvel films, which I don't entirely disagree with. However, Michael Keaton blows it out of the park, and a lot of his effectiveness comes from being a smaller scale, relatable villain, unlike some of the others like Ultron and Loki. Easily the best Spiderman villain in film since Doctor Octopus as well.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:53 pm

Face it: they don't give a crap about reviews. All they want is money. The fact that Wonder Woman was well-liked was just a bonus as far as they're concerned.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:35 pm

Depends on the reviews. Even in the case of BVS or Suicide Squad if I see a review start with "another bland superhero movie blah blah why can't we watch 18 hours of someone's winking butthole in an art film instead" bullshit I just dismiss it. (Both of those movies have problems that a real critic can point to instead of jerking off with "these funnybooks are profaning my aaart")
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:22 am

First promo image of Domino from Deadpool 2 is out. And well. . .

SPOILER: Show

I think the actress playing her as a fine Choice the problem is that. . . This doesn't look like Domino, even by the standards of these X-Men movies which are kind of hit and miss when it comes to making the appearance of their characters semi comic book accurate.

Are you telling me that you can spend all that money putting Jennifer Lawrence in the blue naked makeup. But not give make Domino look a little bit more like domino? The budget for Deadpool 2 can't be that low can it?

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:32 am

Uh, aside from being black, that looks just like Domino. What do you see that I'm not seeing?
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:40 pm

Thats the thing. Domino ISN'T black. I don't mean that in racial terms, I mean she's literally ALABASTER white, Inhumanly so. Like a China Doll, or the Engineers in Prometheus.

I was expecting her to have a skintone like this.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:23 pm

Oh, so it is about her race. What's wrong with inverting the color scheme?
- Sachi

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:49 pm

I'm just saying they could have been a little more imaginative with her character design because this looks really lazy.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:56 pm

What could have been done differently? Giving a black actress "white face" sounds like a terrible idea. Her appearance otherwise is pretty spot on.
- Sachi

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:17 pm

Nobody got their panties in a Twist when Zoe Saldana painted Herself green. As long as they made her appearance sufficiently alien/mutant looking it could have worked. But the Hollywood studio system would rather not take the risk of the potential controversy I suppose.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:38 am

There's a world of difference between pretending to be green and pretending to be white. Zoe Saldana playing a green alien actually serves a purpose of reflecting the racism of the real world. Whereas casting a black actress in a white role, and making the actress appear white just looks really bad (like, all black people secretly wish to be white or something). What would be the point of casting a black actress in the first place? Unlike Saldana as Gamora, where separating the alien appearance from the character would mean changing fundamental aspects of the character, separating the whiteness from Domino does nothing to the character itself. What you call a lazy design was a creative choice on their part to change the character (and only on a superficial level). Call it a misguided decision, as they could have simply casted any white actress that looks the part, but it was certainly far from a lazy decision.
- Sachi

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:16 am

Big Domino fan here.
The Afro is a bleh but doesn't look quite as bad as feared looking at the concept art.
The underarm hair is a weird choice but probably a result from her living in a apocalyptic future (if infact she is from Cable's time)
At the least she looks notably closer to the character then Tessa Thompson's Valkyrie does to her comic counterpart.

View Original PostSachi wrote:Giving a black actress "white face" sounds like a terrible idea.
There's a world of difference between pretending to be green and pretending to be white

Dom isn't Caucasian (neena is a indian name, but I think she is Latino in the comics), she is albino basically or bleached like the Joker. A better comparison then Ray's Gamora analogy would be Sofia Boutella in Star Trek Beyond. She should be that stark white.

View Original PostSachi wrote:separating the whiteness from Domino does nothing to the character itself.

It's her only iconic visual trait aside from the eye oval, its like taking the blonde hair off Thor. Yes it's superficial but it's iconic.

View Original PostSachi wrote:What's wrong with inverting the color scheme?

I am actually ok with it conceptually but they should have done something like this with the outfit so the reversed contrast would be as striking as in the comics - http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/sites/def ... domino.jpg

In other news, Fargo & Legion creator/writer Noah Hawley teased his next film project with the words "Doctor Doom".
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07/20 ... ctor-doom/

Ian Mcshane is playing Broom in Hellboy - Rise of the Blood Qween.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:31 am

Nitpick - being Latino doesn't mean not white. :tongue: But I see your point. Thank you.

I agree about the contrasting colors. A lot more could have been done with that.
- Sachi

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:11 am

If I ever do a film adaptation of a comic book, I'm not even gonna bother casting actors. (Actors were not used in the original comic book, so it wouldn't be true to the original source material to have them in the movie version.) Instead I'm just gonna point the camera at every comic book page individually, flipping the pages whenever I feel like the audience has read everything. This way there would be no complaints about inevitable minor changes to the source material.

So please look forward for the first theatrical live-action Teen Titans movie, where all I do is flip comic book pages in front of a camera for 2-hours straight after spending a lot of money on buying the movie rights from DC. I'm gonna do it all in one long take, making it the longest take in cinema history, so you know it's gonna be a passion of the high arts. ("I made the movie for the fans of the comic book," will be said so often during press releases.)

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:42 pm

Is she going to run around and kill people with her crotch? That's the most important thing here.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:15 pm

It's a Deadpool movie. Probably.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:48 pm

http://filmexodus.com/netflix-just-boug ... llarworld/

Netflix bought the rights to Millar World, Mark Millar's privately owned publishing house, including things like Wanted, Kickass, Superior, Nemesis, Starlight, MPH, Chrononauts. Etc. And is seeking to adapt at least a few of them into Series and movies.

I hope they adapt Starlight. That was Mark Millar's most positive and lighthearted work yet.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:29 pm

First image of Josh Brolin as Cable in Deadpool 2.

Not bad. Could be a bit more buff, but not bad.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:32 pm

Cable is a Rob Liefeld creation. Of course he could stand to be more buff.

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:27 am

http://www.avclub.com/article/todd-mcfarlanes-making-new-spawn-movie-258428

This was announced a few weeks ago and I didn't even hear about it until I saw a Japanese artist I like on twitter post about how he was looking foward to it. I don't know I'm too, dare I say, edgy but I'm looking foward to this. Spawn and X-Men were the only comics I read growing up as a kid, I was more of an anime and manga kid, so for a super hero film to come out I have some nostalgia for will be nice. The idea of it being a low budget horror movie is strange though and I don't think it could even work for that many Spawn stories. Even his origin and walking around the city streets would need to have some demons and magic scattered through out. Also, even though the first Spawn film came out so many years ago with the aversion people have to origin stories I wonder if they're going to try something different. It's probably been way, way too long to not have this be an origin story though

Return to “Film and Video”