Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

Re: What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2016 to now

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:34 pm

View Original PostCompiling_Autumn wrote:Anyone else watching Kuzu no Honkai? I've never really gotten into "shoujo" stuff before (I guess Ikuhara's stuff is kind of derived from that general aesthetic), but Kuzo no Honkai is something else. The direction is really pleasant, and the characters are fascinating and horrifying because they are "scum," in a way that is uncomfortably real and relatable.

I love it. It's brutal and terrible and beautiful and I can't look away.

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:39 pm

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:What’s up with those stupid, white brow-things on Koiwai’s forehead? And those green eye highlights annoy me.

I love watching an anime and you see some crap like that in a character's design and for the rest of the time watching the series you're just like "the hell is this?" Maybe those are supposed to be those small eyebrows you see in anime once in a while, except these are a lot larger and higher...and white for some reason...

What kind of got me was in Your Lie in April and the way the MC's glasses were sort of floating on his head.

Speaking of MCs with glasses and shows with months in their names, anyone else watching March Comes in Like A Lion ?? I'm about 10 episodes in, hoping to catch up by the end of this week. It's pretty good, pretty mature and pretty cute. The animation and soundtrack are beauties and it seems to be good at handling some heavy shit without crossing over into cheesy terrain, not that I don't like a cheesy animay every now and then.

Speaking of which, finished up ReLife, which like others have said, I enjoyed a lot more than I thought I would. IDK, maybe because they dropped all 13 episodes at once or because the animation is a tad generic I wasn't expecting a lot, but it really charmed me. I really hope there's a season 2. It was a tad cheesy but I liked all of the characters a lot; they were all nice and flawed, haha. Probably has something to do with me being a 27 year old office worker too. It seemed like an animes anime to me, if anyone here gets my drift.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 2 continues to be a masterpiece that I feel honored to be able to watch every Friday night. Couldn't ask for a better start to the weekend, man. Every week it does something that blows my mind, with this weeks being the viewing of the old film reel.

Also watched the Mobile Suit Gundam series which begins my attempt to watch the classic UC stuff this year. It is a bit dated, especially since I think it was the oldest anime I've watched, but it was a lot of fun. Char is the man. Can't wait to watch Zeta in a month or so.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:40 pm

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:I love it. It's brutal and terrible and beautiful and I can't look away.

Yeah, that's my take as well. That one teacher is way OTT, but the viewpoint character's central dilemma is relatable enough that I find the show thoroughly watchable.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:26 pm

Tsubaki from Onegai Twins in episode 3 comes off as being pushy and bitchy in her quest to make Maiku hers over Miina and Karen's objections despite me already knowing that she gets better personality-wise after getting together with Kousei.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:59 am

Ghost in the Shell 2 Innocence was decent to good, 3d animation was mixed, parade scene was absolutely gorgeous for the most part.

Started on Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex.
1st 3 episodes and its good so far, episode with the renegade tank was best.

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:35 pm

I'm watching 2nd Gig first. It's looking more likely to be the basis of the movie.
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2016 to now B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:02 pm

What, no one's watching ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept.?

Is it because it's not Nazis?
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:25 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:
Is it because it's not Nazis?

I admit an anime about Germans in stylish uniforms is something I'd watch with pleasure, but what does that have to do with this particular series?

Either way, I am watching ACCA. While the main plot isn't something I particularly care about, the nice atmosphere, pretty backgrounds and interesting characters sold this show for me. I really like Jeans subdued reactions to nearly everything.

Also, fantastic soundtrack, one of the best of the season.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:34 pm

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:Also, fantastic soundtrack, one of the best of the season.

This is as good a reason as any to watch a series. :wink: I'll have to throw it on the ol' queue.

It took me til the beginning of March, but I now have more than one winter season series that I'm watching weekly that I actually enjoy. Began the season watching Rakugo and Blue Exorcist 2, but I had to drop the latter like a bad habit. Didn't really know what was going on, and I didn't really care. Maybe I'll pick it up and binge watch it in 15 years when I run out of good anime to watch.

To my fellow Evageeks; anyone else get Evangelion vibes from the Rakugo 2 OP?? And not just because it's sung by Rei Ayanami, haha. Still show of the season, probably year.

Not that March Comes in Like a Lion has been that bad of a show either. I watched the first eighteen episodes over a week or so, and it really got a hold of me; it really bums me out that I can only watch an episode of it a week now. The soundtrack is just awesome, and the cast is up there(to me at least) with a few of my other fav series, NGE, Ping Pong and Rakugo. It just seems that 22 episodes can't do this series justice. Episode 20 began with a dream sequence of one of it's tragic characters that was one of the finest scenes I've had the pleasure of watching in an anime.

When the spring season rolls around I'm going to be pretty sad that I can't watch any new eps. of these series. But I've got Sakura Quest, SnK 2 and Eccentric Family 2 to watch, so I won't be that sad.

I've also got caught up with Gundam: IBO, which I've also really been enjoying. Mika's character design seems more enjoyable to me this season(am I crazy??) and the Mobile Armor story arc was pretty interesting. I sort of miss Kudelia, but after 45 episodes I've really come to dig all of the guys in Tekkadan and their whole kitschy looking out for one another schtick. And it's always interesting when we get an anime where people start dropping off left and right! Reminds me of ol Akame Ga Kill, haha.

I'm also rewatching Ergo Proxy for the first time. I love the series, but this one may be the most confusing anime out there(or am I just an idiot?). I figured on the second go I'd get it a bit more, but no dice. Nonetheless, it's still a treat.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:24 pm

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:I admit an anime about Germans in stylish uniforms is something I'd watch with pleasure, but what does that have to do with this particular series?

It's how the series was introduced to me in a youtube video "The uniforms makes you think its Nazis, but it's not".

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:Either way, I am watching ACCA. While the main plot isn't something I particularly care about, the nice atmosphere, pretty backgrounds and interesting characters sold this show for me. I really like Jeans subdued reactions to nearly everything.

I think that this trait of his is key to the hook of the series: he's at the center of a suspected "coup", and the narrative is leaving it a mystery as to whether he actually is, or isn't apart of one.

He gives a response that makes it look like his actions are benign, then another character introduces information that makes you question if it really was benign.

A narrative in which viewer omnipotence is incomplete, and not simply for a last-minute reveal, but interwoven throughout the story. I'm certain this has been done in other places, but I'm digging the novelty of it at the moment.

View Original PostJoy Evangelion wrote:
I've also got caught up with Gundam: IBO, which I've also really been enjoying. Mika's character design seems more enjoyable to me this season(am I crazy??) and the Mobile Armor story arc was pretty interesting. I sort of miss Kudelia, but after 45 episodes I've really come to dig all of the guys in Tekkadan

Ah yeah, now that I think about it, she really has been absent this season hasn't she? Images of the "maiden of the rebellion" though makes me suspect that they still have some sort of grand endgame planned for her.

The reveal of McGillis Fareed's backstory, while a bit cliche I felt, did explain his aloof character; why he was able to so easily betray people he knew from childhood in season 1. As well as his... obsession with a 10-year old. Something I'm glad to see the series is rightfully calling out as dysfunctional.

All in all, it really looks like the finale will be him fighting Tekkadan in some way.

Oh, and the parallel of the Gundam being "Demons" (which explains Barbatos' name) and the Mobile Armors being "angels" had me laughing.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:02 pm

Got caught up again in Masamune-kun's Revenge with the home visit of Neko and Yoshino. Don't think it's cool for Makabe to call his mom loli hag even though for some reason, she looks so loli but not a hag by any means. Both Neko and Chinatsu looks so cute in yukatas and it was so relieving to have Aki out of the picture for a little while until unfortunately, the post credit scene with typical Makabe bashing brings it all back to detestable reality.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:46 pm

Wandered into the EXTREMELY fucked up town of Fapville with the first two episodes of Prison Battleship.
SPOILER: Show
Then again, even I; a certified pervert; couldn't get off to the material included here which includes fast moving thrusts, waterfalls of male semen covering the two brainwashed agents, and an uncomfortable scene of pure brown chocolate defecation brought on by enema. At this point, only curiosity to see how worse it can get is what drives my upcoming viewing of the final two episodes... :facepalm:

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:20 am

The thing I'm finding about Masamune-kun's Revenge is that it's fine until the revenge business gets brought up - each time that comes up, the watchability plummets for me.

I don't even know why I tried another episode of Scum's Wish. Putting together an unrealistically large number of more-or-less screwed up characters in improbable situations does not a story make - it takes more effort than that. I can find no reason to continue watching this rubbish.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:41 am

I got the feeling that, for all he talks about it, the actual revenge plan went out the window as soon as he started interacting with Aki as a person. Now he's trying to cling to it as his worldview shatters (wait, girls actually like people who aren't physically perfect? How is that possible?), but once the various twists and turns of the past come out the very notion will be obliterated from his mind.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:50 pm

Episode 8 of Onegai Teacher really drew inspiration from soap opera land with it's couple drama. Also, I STILL don't know whether the little snippet at the end of the episode before ED credits meant that Kei and Mizuho had sex for the first time... Too dense on my part. Other than that, Koishi's clothing during the night sequence makes her look very cute and sexy.

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:16 am

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:Then again, even I; a certified pervert; couldn't get off to the material included here

Your posts make me laugh, Gus. Do continue.

Fuuka ep 10. A pedestrian crossing? Oh God! Look both ways , Fuuka! LOOK BOTH WAYS!

Oh well, we’re finally past that moment. No more thinly-veiled spoiler gags, I guess. I’ll miss them.
Intrigued to see how the love triangle ends, it can realistically go either way. Yay annie-may original endings.

After THEM gave it a positive review, I started Scrapped Princess. It’s a breath of fresh air to watch a straight-faced fantasy for a change; no dimension-hopping, trope-aware “I’m in a vidya gaem world LOL” protagonists a la Overlord or Konosuba… though I did/do enjoy those.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:14 pm

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:Your posts make me laugh, Gus. Do continue.

Thanks! ^_^

Episode 3 of Prison Battleship toned down only mildly the kinky fuckery that could very well outdo Bible Black in shock value. Cringe levels on overdrive when the ladies willingly consumed plates of ramen covered in sticky stuff. :cringe:

Episode 12 of Cowboy Bebop marks probably the first time the animation and the story really gripped me. Seems like every time the show delves into Vicious territory, it gets worth it to wade through the other episodes.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2016 to now Bl

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:56 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:The thing I'm finding about Masamune-kun's Revenge is that it's fine until the revenge business gets brought up - each time that comes up, the watchability plummets for me.

The show lost its luster for me in the moment when Commando-chan showed up.

The writers invoked a contrived rival, rather than letting the more natural relationship with the class rep be the one in contention. The scene of him rejecting the latter offered a clear insight as to how far he was warping himself for this "revenge". Not following up on that seems like a lost opportunity.

The second problem for me was his "explanation" to Aki afterward, which felt like flanderization to serve the plot. I was asking " Is there not a better way to keep them at odds than this? " According to the Pedantic Romantic, yeah, there is, one that works into what has been established thus far. That of furthering the divide based on Aki looking for a genuine response, and Masumune still thinking that surface-traits are all that matter.

I'am still watching though; right now I'm wondering how the hell the MC hasn't caught on that round-kun has stolen his identity.

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:38 pm

Last week's Gabriel Dropout had a Christmas theme going.
This week's Dragon Maid had a Christmas theme.

Is my calendar broken?
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:01 pm

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:Last week's Gabriel Dropout had a Christmas theme going.
This week's Dragon Maid had a Christmas theme.

Is my calendar broken?

I was puzzled by that as well.

Return to “Anime and Manga”