Godzilla & Kaiju General!

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Re: Godzilla & Kaiju General!

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:42 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Krampus is a far more genuine recreation of the 1980s Amblin feel that everyone says Stranger Things pulled off (it didn't)

I honestly don't know where you get the notion that Stranger Things was supposed to pull off an Amblin feel. It didn't, and I've never seen anyone suggest it did. What it did pull off was a show that genuinely felt like it took place in the 80s, which Amblin flicks (and indeed, other 80s flicks) did not. The environment it depicted was familiar to those of us who grew up in that time, and it had things like music and signs and just general ambience that felt genuine, rather than aping some notion of what the 80s were supposed to be like but never really were.

IOW it didn't ape movies of the 80s, so much as the 80s itself.

As for Krampus . . . meh. I got shades of Legend from it, and nothing that would indicate the director would be a good fit for a kaiju flick (though, admittedly, nothing indicating he wouldn't be, either).

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Well kinda ironic then as it seems, Stranger Things breakout actress Millie Bobby Brown will star in G:KOM...
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/s ... of-a148504

Ooh, now that's interesting! She was really good (all the kids in Stranger Things were fantastic), so I'll look forward to seeing what they do with her.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:22 pm

Stranger Things felt like it was a Stephen King pastiche. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I really enjoyed it, but it is what it is. It drew on a lot of recurring themes in King's work.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:47 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Stranger Things felt like it was a Stephen King pastiche. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I really enjoyed it, but it is what it is. It drew on a lot of recurring themes in King's work.

Sure, I'd buy that.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:12 am

Very nice, very large Kajiu size chart, not perfect as even for the 1991 version that Ghidorah is a bit much but still.
SPOILER: Show

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:50 am

New Kong Poster...

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:18 am

Beautiful fan piece for Gamera 3 - Revenge of Irys...

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:37 pm

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:51 pm

So like a Dark-Comedy Cloverfield?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:50 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:So like a Dark-Comedy Cloverfield?

I don't think there's anything dark about it, it's just a straight-up comedy. Also, it looks fantastic. I have no idea what the gimmick is, but it looks like it'll be fun as hell to find out.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:27 pm

Fifty bucks says she fights another monster.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:51 pm

It's a great time to be a kaiju fan.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:42 pm

Warner Brothers is going to pull a Marvel with KONG: SKULL ISLAND. The film has a post-credits teaser of some kind for 2019's GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:19 am

Kyle Chandler (super 8, bloodlines) has been added to King of Monsters as Brown's father.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:50 pm

Final Skull Island trailer.
Really good trailer however I do feel they are showing too much now & the Skull Crawlers conversation was better in the 2nd trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44LdLqgOpjo

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:11 pm

Vera Farmiga added to King of Monsters.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:21 pm

Anne Hathaway Colossal Poster  SPOILER: Show

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:51 pm

The director of KONG: SKULL ISLAND has been repeatedly making references to Neon Genesis Evangelion as an inspiration for when he was making the film. Quote from a Playlist article:
“The other anime influence is the series ‘Neon Genesis Evangelion.’ Think of Kong and the way that he moves and the stylization of the physics of how things work have way more to do with manga and anime like ‘Evangelion,’ ” Vogt-Roberts added. “It was tricky working with Industrial Light And Magic, I mean they are artists, no doubt, but big VFX company’s first instinct is to make things as realistic as possible. A year in they said, ‘Oh I think we finally get your sensibilities.’ ‘Cause Kong is more stylized and the way they fight is like a big brawl. There’s something about the visually striking scale, the hyper kineticness and the way they animated the mechs and creatures in ‘Evangelion.’ It was a huge influence on me as a kid, but being able to implement visual exaggeration, that iconic visual printability, like a frame you could hang up, that was huge.

http://theplaylist.net/influence-director-jordan-vogt-roberts-talks-inspirations-kong-skull-island-20170309/2/#cb-content

I'll be seeing Kong tomorrow so I'll be keeping an eye out for Eva nods. I was informed by a friend who saw it in Austin that a Japanese character or codename is "Ikari" so that's cool.

All pretty fun stuff! Only downside could be a renewed interest by some nerds for a live action Eva.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:39 pm

The Godzilla anime will be available through Netflix.

Really hope it's better animated then the director's Knights of Sidonia.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:49 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:The Godzilla anime will be available through Netflix.

Really hope it's better animated then the director's Knights of Sidonia.

But Knights of Sidonia was great . . .

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:49 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:But Knights of Sidonia was great . . .

Only seen the trailers but the 3D animation looked like what haters of the rebuilds describe it's animation as looking like.
Backgrounds & such looked good but the character animation seemed very jerky & stiff. Way overly 3D.

Return to “Film and Video”