[Merch] Evangelion Figures Superthread [3]

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Re: [Merch] Evangelion Figures Superthread [3]

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:18 pm

Metal Gear EvaZilla prototype pics:

"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Freeshinji
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Freeshinji » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:09 pm

Does anyone have a photo of the robot spirits Evas with the 3.33 revoltech Evas? I would like to see the height difference in both together if that is possible. Also will there be anymore release on the Kotobukiya 1/400 kits?

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:13 pm

View Original PostFreeshinji wrote:Does anyone have a photo of the robot spirits Evas with the 3.33 revoltech Evas? I would like to see the height difference in both together if that is possible. Also will there be anymore release on the Kotobukiya 1/400 kits?

they are much smaller (revos) you cant mix and match.......revos are like 14-15cm, RD evas are 17 cm.plus proportions and character design are different, RD follows the anime to a t. revos take artistic liberties

red eva is revoltech god mod, right eva is RD unit 01

Left side RD eva 01, right side the newest revoltech eva 01

revoltech unit 03 on the left, RD unit 03 on the right

RD eva 00 on left, revoltech 00 on the right

ANATA BAKA !?

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:22 am

So... My Revoltech Evangelion 04 Rapid Borer Version arrived ^_^
Turns out my sister received the package and asked me via Whatsapp what it was, I answered "my Christmas gift from me to myself"... :tongue:
I arrive at home and she and my mother hat gift-wrapped the box and placed under the Christmas tree... :bigeyes:
And told me (of course) I can't open it until the 25th :impatient:

------------------------------------------------------------------------EDIT----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, Finally managed to spend some time with it!
And I frikin' love it!

As usual I did a Youtube review for those that want to check it out :wink:
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:22 am

Riobot Nerv is available for pre-order on Amazon. Pretty cool design but it doesn't look much like an Eva. More like an Orbital Frame.

And a new smiling Asuka Premium Figure!
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:27 am

I really ought to improve my sculpt-fu abilities. I'd love to make my own Eva figures one day. Who knows, maybe one day when I can actually sculpt worth a damn I'll get the stuff for resin casting and make a few kits for you guys. NOTICE ME TMB-SENPAI

Question is, once I've gotten some more practice and I'm actually semi-competent (not to mention have some more putty, my Apoxie Sculpt has nearly run out) who should I have a stab at sculpting, and in what outfit? I'd kinda like to have a go at doing Hikari, neglected by official kits as she is, possibly in a plugsuit. Either that or a Rei or an Asuka (or even a Shinji) in an NGEverse version of the test suit, or possibly some other silly outfit. Any other ideas would be welcome.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Fyrstorm
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Fyrstorm » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:39 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:I really ought to improve my sculpt-fu abilities. I'd love to make my own Eva figures one day. Who knows, maybe one day when I can actually sculpt worth a damn I'll get the stuff for resin casting and make a few kits for you guys. NOTICE ME TMB-SENPAI

Question is, once I've gotten some more practice and I'm actually semi-competent (not to mention have some more putty, my Apoxie Sculpt has nearly run out) who should I have a stab at sculpting, and in what outfit? I'd kinda like to have a go at doing Hikari, neglected by official kits as she is, possibly in a plugsuit. Either that or a Rei or an Asuka (or even a Shinji) in an NGEverse version of the test suit, or possibly some other silly outfit. Any other ideas would be welcome.

I vouch for one of two options:
1) Hikari w/plugsuit
or
2) Kaworu w/Test Plugsuit (because the dudes deserve some time in a ridiculous semi-transparent getup, and I think Special K would pull it off better)
My ongoing fanfics: NGE: (Not) the End, Evangelion: Regenesis

Winking Mari makes my heart go doki doki
We're all Asuka-fanboys? I take great exception to that. It's Mari I want to plow nine ways from Sunday, if you don't mind.

What? She's 28 now.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:59 am

View Original PostFyrstorm wrote:2) Kaworu w/Test Plugsuit

Woa woa woa! When did Evangelion became "Free!"?

Joke aside, show us whan you can do and I may even ask* a comission :shifty:

*request a comission? order a comissio?... How do you say it? :huh:
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:21 am

View Original PostSEELE-01 wrote:Woa woa woa! When did Evangelion became "Free!"?

Right about now, it would seem (though I'd probably do Hikari first because of my tremendous bias towards her).

Seriously speaking, I'd be up for doing Albino Bishounen Space Jesus in a test suit, though because it'd be a NGEverse take on the suit (again, bias) it'd probably look completely different from the "official" test suit design. I'm thinking it'd still be pretty...lewd, but with a shit-tonne of added details/technogreebles attached.

Joke aside, show us whan you can do and I may even ask* a comission :shifty:

*request a comission? order a comissio?... How do you say it? :huh:

Well, let's see how I get on first. I'm still a relative newbie to sculpting, though I am definitely improving. I'm not sure how I'd feel about taking commissions- I'm a VERY slow worker and I wouldn't want to let anyone down. I'd happily take requests, but actual paid commissions...maybe when I'm better at it.

Of course this is all theoretical anyway as I haven't got the stuff for resin casting yet, so even if I were to become a sculpting wizard overnight, anything I made would be a one-off piece at the moment.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:10 am

The question about Kaworu's Test Suit is would he get the modesty patch? Males generally have been Free! to flaunt their nipples...
I should probably finish the figure I've been working on modifying for 2.5 years now....

So I've received my Kotobukiya Eva-01 TV Ver. kit. Overall I'm quite pleased with it. For those that haven't seen the official product photos can be found here: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10411187/10/0

First thing of interest: the molds for the kit have clearly been laid out with other Evas in mind. They incorporate "switches" to redirect the plastic that you can set to whatever is needed. Or just snap off what is not.

SPOILER: Show

The kit is quite a bit more solid than the New Movie Eva-01, they seem to have learned a bit from that one. One of the biggest issues I had with the NME Koto kits was the shoulder. The polycap in the upper arm has its "wings" along the split line of the parts. While it sits nicely into one of them, the other part does not have enough support and thus the polycap ends up a bit wobbly.

On the TV Eva kit they have thankfully fixed the issue. The polycap is turned 90° and each "wing" now has complete, rock solid support.

Engineering-wise, really great kit. My one complaint about the build of it is that they took away that giant, glorious tree of polystyrene hands and replaced them with PVC castings instead. I really prefer polystyrene.

Look-wise though, I don't think they've quite nailed it. I still like the old 90s Bandai TV Eva kit more as far as proportions go. I think my main issue is that I see this as Kotobukiya making the same mistake as Bandai did.

When Bandai made the New Movie Eva kits they didn't really follow the design to put it lightly. They took the new design elements and then tried to fit them into the same proportions as the old kit. Really wide shoulder, really narrow waist. This was not a good result. After all that effort that khara took in redrawing everything consistently for the new design and proportions Bandai just fudged it.

Because of the above Bandai mistake the Kotobukiya New Movie Eva kits were a god send. They pretty much perfectly captured Takeshi Honda's new design in both detail and especially proportions.

But now when Kotobukiya made the old TV Eva they seemed to do the same thing as Bandai did, try to fit the detail of the old on the proportions for the new. It's not as egregious as what Bandai did, and it has an overall more consistent look but it's still not my cup of tea.

For comparison here is all four Evas old and new. From left to right:
Bandai NME Eva-01 (absolute poop)
Kotobukiya NME Eva-01 (best available representation of the NME design as far as I'm concerned)
Kotobukiya TV Eva-01 (valiant attempt but doesn't work for me)
Bandai 90s TV Eva-01 (continues to be the best available representation of ye olde TV Eva as far as I'm concerned)

All unpainted because I'm a lazy fuck.

SPOILER: Show

Now the silver lining out of this for me would be if they make the 02 kit. Given the much smaller difference between the width of the waist and shoulders, a Kotobukya TV Eva-02 would end up being really, really close to the proportions of the legendary EoE Eva-02 :D

It seems that I will continue recommending Kotobukiya for those that want a NME Eva kit and 90s Bandai for those that want TV Evas.

I look forward to what Kotobukiya does next when they stop being lazy. So far they've only released:
NME Eva-01 + recolors
NME Eva-02
NME Eva-13 + recolor
TV Eva-01

But they've already done 95% of the work to be able to release:
NME Eva-08a
NME Eva-00
NME Eva-03
NME Eva-04 because pachinko
TV Eva-02
TV Eva-00 Yellow
TV Eva-00 Blue
TV Eva-03
TV Eva-04 shiny and chrome

That's a minimum of nine kits they could release immediately with minimal effort and yet have not :(

PS: While Bandai Evas are officially non-scale, if 80m height is assumed they are approximately 1/350, which is what Max Factory's Jaegers are: http://i.imgur.com/sAHWz8b.jpg

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:43 am

The question about Kaworu's Test Suit is would he get the modesty patch?

This is the Fabulous One. Does this question even need asking? :tongue: :devil:

In all seriousness, I'll probably do some sketches for both Hikari's more "regular" plugsuit (which will still be different from an ordinary suit, as in my ludicrous headcanon Hikari pilots an NGETVverse version of Unit 05, and thus requires a special suit to control the high-mobility type Evangelion) and Kaworu's faaaaaaaaabulous test suit. My ideas are as follows:

Hikari's High-Mobility Type Optimal Control Plugsuit  SPOILER: Show
Fairly similar to a regular plugsuit in most ways, but with extra gizmos on it, notably cables, tubes, an expanded "backpack" and "chest armour" like on Shinji's plugsuit (to reinforce the idea that Eva-05 requires extra control systems, to add visual interest/bulk, and to make up for poor Hikari's disadvantage in the chest department). I might give the suit a helmet as well, though Hikari wouldn't be wearing it on the figure. Colour wise, I'm not sure if it should be yellow (like Sadamoto's concept art of pilot Hikari) or olive green (like Mari's Unit 05 suit).

Kaworu's Synchro-Optimization Experiment Test Plugsuit  SPOILER: Show
In terms of physical design (ignoring colour for now) the theme would be "high contrast". So on the one hand, as mentioned before, it would be rather...lewd, with the translucent bits and tightness one would expect from a test suit. On the other hand, it would feature lots of bulky machinery/electronics modules, including shoulder pads, a backpack, and "hair pod" nerve clips. It would bear some resemblance to the NME test suit, but only some superficial details.

Glad to see you've got that new Koto Eva, TMB! The extra colour breakup makes me think it would be much easier to paint. I do agree, though, that the proportions leave something to be desired. I'm glad I got the Bandai kit, though I might get the Koto kit too at some point. Now I've got my Iwata Eclipse, as soon as I have a spraying setup sorted (either homemade or prebuilt) I should be able to paint it.

The question is, do I go for my original plan of candy metallic, or do something a bit less ambitious and just do a pre-shaded "normal" finish (albeit probably gloss topcoated because ZOMG SHINY)? I've started to prime it, and even if I were able to strip the stuff without damaging the plastic underneath, considering she's borrowed Unit 02's trousers (thanks for those legs BTW TMB, you're a life saver) she kind of needs to be painted.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:35 am

So the tv eva kit is similar in size to robot damashi or bigger ? cos koto kits of nme are similar size just slight bigger.
guess i will finally fill the unit 00 and 03 void from nme......
ANATA BAKA !?

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:29 am

Koto TV Eva-01 is the same head height as Koto NME Eva-01 (pretty much exactly around 18cm to top of skull, ignoring the horn), but pylons stick out higher than NME

Cobadome
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Cobadome » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:58 pm

Hey i ordered the Eva 00 Bandai Model Kit. My question is, they have a construction in there? And is it difficult to build these Models never trys before. And must the model be painted? Thanks for Answers ^_^

Fyrstorm
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Fyrstorm » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:33 pm

View Original PostCobadome wrote:Hey i ordered the Eva 00 Bandai Model Kit. My question is, they have a construction in there? And is it difficult to build these Models never trys before. And must the model be painted? Thanks for Answers ^_^

Alright, answering in question order.

1) I am not fully sure what you mean by "have a construction". Could you clarify this?
1b) The arms of the Eva kits are mostly pre-constructed, due to their nature (the joints are inside a rubber sleeve that flexes when it moves. Be very gentle with it).

2) The TV kits weren't too difficult in my experience. The hardest parts will probably be the entry plug mechanism, the shoulders, and the head-- mostly because of their smaller parts. Just take your time, and you'll be fine.

3) Technically, you don't need paint. I still haven't painted my Bardiel, and it looks decent. The base Evangelion should be fully covered by the provided stickers, though there's three things to note. One, the accessories will need paint to look fully accurate (they're all cast in grey or a dark brown-black). Two, the stickers aren't the best, though they should do. For instance, Unit-02 has no stickers for its eyes. Unit-00 shouldn't have this problem. Three, as you're a beginner I'd advise against using the decals (they're on the blue, film-covered piece of paper), as the waterslides on the Evas are notoriously difficult to apply.

Best of luck!

We're all Asuka-fanboys? I take great exception to that. It's Mari I want to plow nine ways from Sunday, if you don't mind.

What? She's 28 now.

Cobadome
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Cobadome » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:11 am

Thanks for answering my questions ^_^ For construction i mean pictures where its explain the order to build the model.

Fyrstorm
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Fyrstorm » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:32 pm

View Original PostCobadome wrote:Thanks for answering my questions ^_^ For construction i mean pictures where its explain the order to build the model.

Oh yeah, it's got an instruction booklet-- and it's pretty easy to follow.

What? She's 28 now.

Cobadome
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Cobadome » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:14 am

Thank You cant wait to build :tongue:

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:04 am

Is there such a thing as translucent sculptable epoxy putty, or is my only option to sculpt the initial piece in standard putty and then cast it in clear resin?
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:10 pm

As far as I know there isn't clear sculptable epoxy, so yeah recasting would be necessary.

There's translucent 3D printing materials as well as clear stuff you can CNC, but that requires sculpting in the computer first :3

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”