Do you think anno regrets making rebuild?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Lennik
Sachiel
Sachiel

Re: Do you think anno regrets making rebuild?

Postby Lennik » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:44 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:It's turned into yet another thread where the same five people continue to warp the facts & movies themselves so they adhere to their disappointed opinion of the films.
"I don't like the movies so everyone involved in them must be completely bored & devoid of the passion needed to make them! Blah blah blah."

That's not exactly new around here. Fans tend to project their own opinions onto the author, which gets old fast. Especially when it happens to a quite beautiful series of films that clearly took a lot of work, and they claim the author doesn't care about it because the movie made them sad. Until Anno says he regrets it, I'm not inclined to believe he does.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:57 pm

View Original PostLennik wrote:they claim the author doesn't care about it because the movie made them sad.

This is not the reason I and many others (not just on this forum) do not like this series of films, and anyone who does cast derision at an author or director simply because the work in question was "sad" is kind of pathetic. Schindler's List was sad, Requiem for a Dream is sad, Grave of the Fireflies is sad, Inside Out has several tearjerky moments, and the list can go on ad nauseam.

The problem with the rebuild movies is that we've been primed for them by a true masterwork of a series where characters (even supporting ones) felt fully developed and humanized, and whose actions made sense and fit within the internal logic of the series. Each of them had an important role to play and we understood why they were doing what they were doing. At this point in the rebuilds, we have reached about episode 24 of the original series in terms of elapsed time and major events that are covered. However, the character work in rebuild is severely lacking from what we got in NGE. Gone are the internal mindscape sequences that flesh out Shinji's internal motivations and character, gone is the revelation of Asuka's past from episode 22, gone is Rei confronting the part of her that is not human, gone is the backstory of Ritsuko and her conflicted feelings about Gendo, Rei, and her mother, and gone is Kaji's sacrifice and role as a triple agent in the series.

Instead, we get a visit to a water plant; Asuka and Rei butting heads in the Win Shinji Ikari's Cock Cooking Competition; a longing pan over Asuka's taint; Mysterious Mari Makinami who, for the past two films, has received no backstory and no interesting character moments other than being snarky and quirky, basically floating through the films as an interloper from a more shonen-y series like Gurren Lagann, complete with moment-killing out-of-nowhere Gainaxing; character development from 2.0 basically meaning almost fuck-all in 3.0; Kaworu needlessly putting a bomb collar on his own neck for no real reason; Shinji disregarding warned advice from Kaworu, the closest person he's been with this whole series; code 777 bullshit that seems more at home in Transformers than Evangelion, effectively killing the dramatic tension of when Berserker Mode can be activated if it can just be called for on command.

Rebuild feels like a pale imitation of Evangelion, made for mass audience appeal rather as being a personal story from the author. Whereas NGE felt like an independent film; Rebuild feels like a Hollywood studio production. And it cheapens it. Anno's recent statements on how he's agrees with the sentiments of fans that he keeps going back to this series because of money, cheapens this whole effort even further. There's something inherently disheartening when a series that has been whored out as much as Eva has is now being whored out by its very own creator, who made the original series primarily because it was his version of art-therapy while he was broken and depressed and to do something revolutionary, NOT to make oodles and oodles of money.
Last edited by Guy Nacks on Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:41 pm

Nearly everything you said is a criticism of Rebuild when viewed as a version of NGE. Is it the people for whom NGE resonated the strongest who are least able to judge the films separately from it, I wonder?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:35 pm

Apox wrote:I truly believe anno is at his worst when there is no one to reign him in and keep him in check. If this was the case I doubt that the gap between the rebuilds would be so large or the narrative so disjointed.

Most artistic types are at their worst when there is no (legitimate) pressure. They work on their own schedules, and if it takes them 7 years to write a script, so be it, they want it the way they want it. This is clearly shown with rebuild, as from the original rough idea, many changes and delays have been made, dragging out a three year, four film engagement to what is pushing a decade of work, and will most likely be at least 12 years in before the final film is released. Basically, they need a kick in the ass from the business types that want things to roll along, like how the trilogies for Back to the Future and The Matrix were done in five years each. Yes, animation takes time, but if they can put out animes weekly (like Gundam has been doing forever), or if they had a solid script (as SEELE-01 mentioned) then we wouldn't be waiting on the edge of our seats (or sanity) for the end of this tetralogy.

pwhodges wrote:Nearly everything you said is a criticism of Rebuild when viewed as a version of NGE. Is it the people for whom NGE resonated the strongest who are least able to judge the films separately from it, I wonder?

The reason some of us can't separate the two is that they have been spearheaded by the same man. It is only natural to compare the original work of Anno to the new work of Anno. If a different person was behind the rebuilds, they would not be compared as heavily to the original work. The same way the prequels for Star Wars are heavily scrutinized because George Lucas did them, while the sequel trilogy is faring far better because a new director is taking a shot at the space opera. If Anno turned over control of the series, the reaction could be fairly good. Also, we seem to forget about the manga on this forum, that was a wonderful take on the series done by Sadamoto, if they made an anime based on that take (or even movies) I think it would be a bit better than the rebuilds.

I agree with everything Guy Nacks said. NTE is a pale imitation of NGE, and any continuation or reboot, or whatever the rebuilds are, are always going to be judged against the original work they are based on. Look at Terminator, the originals are fantastic, and then after T2 it just goes downhill. While the rebuilds are good entertainment, they are somewhat disjointed, and they may as well be labeled "NGE Zero" Evangelions without the angst, introspection, and character building. While the rebuilds are "good" they lack all the intricacies of the series, those intricacies which make NGE a "great" anime.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:29 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote: Is it the people for whom NGE resonated the strongest who are least able to judge the films separately from it, I wonder?

No work of fiction has resonated with me more powerfully than NGE, and yet I was able to learn to judge the new films based on their own merits. Note, though, that this happened with 3.0 coming out and my greatest fears being alleviated. Some part of the production has to "click" for a fan, I assume, before they can start to "let go" and just treat ENT as a similar work in a different medium rather than an endless series of comparisons (heavily dependent upon double standards and highly selective memories) to NGE.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Lennik
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Lennik » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:37 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:This is not the reason I and many others (not just on this forum) do not like this series of films, and anyone who does cast derision at an author or director simply because the work in question was "sad" is kind of pathetic. Schindler's List was sad, Requiem for a Dream is sad, Grave of the Fireflies is sad, Inside Out has several tearjerky moments, and the list can go on ad nauseam.

I've encountered plenty of people who hated 3.0 solely because they felt it betrayed the "heroic" nature of what they thought they were watching in 2.0.

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:The problem with the rebuild movies is that we've been primed for them by a true masterwork of a series where characters (even supporting ones) felt fully developed and humanized, and whose actions made sense and fit within the internal logic of the series. Each of them had an important role to play and we understood why they were doing what they were doing. At this point in the rebuilds, we have reached about episode 24 of the original series in terms of elapsed time and major events that are covered. However, the character work in rebuild is severely lacking from what we got in NGE. Gone are the internal mindscape sequences that flesh out Shinji's internal motivations and character, gone is the revelation of Asuka's past from episode 22, gone is Rei confronting the part of her that is not human, gone is the backstory of Ritsuko and her conflicted feelings about Gendo, Rei, and her mother, and gone is Kaji's sacrifice and role as a triple agent in the series.

First, you're comparing a finished series that you've had two decades to digest to a film series that's not even finished.

As for the other things, there have been internal mindscape sequences, and I really don't care to see Ritsuko pining over Gendo a second time, so let's chalk this up to a difference in what we think is important to the story.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:24 pm

View Original PostLennik wrote:First, you're comparing a finished series that you've had two decades to digest to a film series that's not even finished.

Two decades ago, I was in elementary school. In the United States. And under 10 years old.

I was introduced to NGE through a friend in late 2009 and watched 1.0 and 2.0 within a year or so of finishing NGE. And even then, I felt 2.0 was a bit lacking with the Comparative episodes in the Action Arc of NGE. So, it's not at all like I'm viewing NGE through nostalgia-tinted glasses. I just connected to the story, the characters, and the way it was told on a far greater scale than what Anno's been doing with Rebuild.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby SEELE-01 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:42 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:No work of fiction has resonated with me more powerfully than NGE

Ditto

View Original PostReichu wrote:and yet I was able to learn to judge the new films based on their own merits

Indeed, this is a very frequent issue I have encountered.
When people ask what I like best (NGE or NTE) I have to point out that both the context in which the series where being created, the mindset of the production staff and even the anime environment as a whole was markedly different than that of Rebuild.
Trying to understand something without the proper context or background can easily lead to misunderstandings or sub-apreciation of the work as a whole.

We are way past the point where we could evaluate NTE as a mere "remake" of the original series with nothing extra to offer but nicer animation, and as a result, people should evaluate NTE as a self-contained history (until proven wrong).
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:17 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:I was introduced to NGE through a friend in late 2009 and watched 1.0 and 2.0 within a year or so of finishing NGE. And even then, I felt 2.0 was a bit lacking with the Comparative episodes in the Action Arc of NGE. So, it's not at all like I'm viewing NGE through nostalgia-tinted glasses. I just connected to the story, the characters, and the way it was told on a far greater scale than what Anno's been doing with Rebuild.

This insistence on comparing the new movies to the old series remains baffling to me. They're different stories with different casts of characters, so what do we actually get out of that? Nothing, so far as I can tell. Just a bunch of people endlessly reiterating why they're grumpy because their expectations weren't met, which frankly isn't Anno's problem.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:09 am

Anno & Co. spending a lot of time developing a growing and complex ensemble cast in NGE was a very smart move within terms of hedging everyone's bets when it came to audience's character projection or relation, and an episodic TV series is the best way to do that. Do you relate to Asuka more than Shinji? That's good! She has a good chunk of character development in at least 5 or 6 different episodes of the show. Or maybe you can even relate to Touji? That's good too, seeing as how he's got a nice arc that's explored up until Episode 18. Or maybe you simply can relate to a relationship being explored two characters, and not really the characters themselves? NGE has that too.

NTE can't afford to hedge its bets like NGE did, though, because the cast is too big and the duration limitations are too small. The quality in writing really hasn't dropped any. Shinji is still a very thoroughly developed character, and his relationship with Misato and his curiosity about Rei is a strong vehicle throughout which to propel the narrative and give it its framework. But if you came in wanting to have that same attention to detail in a character that isn't the main character, and never really was the main character in the first place (say, Asuka, for example), then feature film in general isn't the best place for that. Especially when it comes to sci-fi. When your film has to spend a lot of time defining its world-building, as dictated by its sci-fi genre, then the compelling parts of the narrative involving the secondary cast members have to be boiled down to a handful of solid emotional moments and one or two memorable lines. Even the strongest character moments between Han and Leia in The Empire Strikes Back have their strength through the performances of the Ford and Fisher, and not so much the compelling and detailed writing in the movie. It was a handful of compelling expressions and body-language, a couple of lines, some cliche musical swells, and BAM! Instant romance between two character that were not Main Character Luke Skywalker, a character for whom the more detailed writing of the film was reserved.

Again, this doesn't mean that the quality of the writing has dropped in these Eva feature films. On the contrary, it takes a good writer to know what fat to trim down into a short list of 90-minute features. But if you were stuck on a total of about 117 minutes scattered throughout the movies dedicated to Asuka's compelling development with the rest of the cast throughout the series, well, we honestly don't have time for that in this medium.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:12 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:This insistence on comparing the new movies to the old series remains baffling to me. They're different stories with different casts of characters, so what do we actually get out of that? Nothing, so far as I can tell. Just a bunch of people endlessly reiterating why they're grumpy because their expectations weren't met, which frankly isn't Anno's problem.

And I, for one, am similarly baffled by those who have opinions like yours. What is the point of remaking a series with the exact same cast of characters and carbon-copying roughly the first third of the story of NGE if you're trying to do something truly different? Comparisons at that point are simply unavoidable. If he had altered the story significantly from the get-go, and/or included entirely different characters (meaning no Shinji, Misato, Rei, etc.) I would not be objecting to the Rebuild films nearly as strongly. Because then it really would be a different story with different characters instead of piggybacking on aspects of the original and executing it in a fashion that leaves many people disappointed that Anno's been spending time doing this instead of something more original.

It is for this reason that I think 1.0 is the weakest film in the rebuild series because it automatically set it on a path from which it couldn't really recover.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:43 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:And I, for one, am similarly baffled by those who have opinions like yours. What is the point of remaking a series with the exact same cast of characters and carbon-copying roughly the first third of the story of NGE if you're trying to do something truly different?

It's not the same cast of characters, that's the point. Shinji's a stargazer ruled by tragedy vs. an introverted cellist ruled by pathos, Asuka has a different name and background and personality and a different set of problems, Mari wasn't even in the original show, Yui has gone from grand architect of the whole damn game to a passive participant in grander events, and Q has changed the game so much that there's nothing left to compare. The notion that Anno is selling out or pandering makes no sense in a world where Q exists.

It is for this reason that I think 1.0 is the weakest film in the rebuild series because it automatically set it on a path from which it couldn't really recover.

For you. Judging by its success, however, there's no recovery that needs to be made. I'm sorry you got hoodwinked by the bait and switch, but Ha was your clue that there was a switch. This shouldn't even be an issue as of Q, which picked up where Ha left off creatively, but here we are. It's ridiculous. You're essentially admitting that you're judging the new movies not on their merits but based on how they compare to the original series, and there's absolutely no validity to that. None. And so we're back to, "I don't like it because it's not what I expected!", to which the only useful response is a shrug.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:50 am

Wonder if I should just change the title to "Do you regret Anno making Rebuild?"......
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Director Black » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:04 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Wonder if I should just change the title to "Do you regret Anno making Rebuild?"......

Do so not just for accuracy, but to see the hilarious responses to people firing back at the title.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:23 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:For you. Judging by its success, however, there's no recovery that needs to be made. I'm sorry you got hoodwinked by the bait and switch, but Ha was your clue that there was a switch. This shouldn't even be an issue as of Q, which picked up where Ha left off creatively, but here we are. It's ridiculous. You're essentially admitting that you're judging the new movies not on their merits but based on how they compare to the original series, and there's absolutely no validity to that. None. And so we're back to, "I don't like it because it's not what I expected!", to which the only useful response is a shrug.

Dude, I knew the other shoe was going to drop with Q. EVERYONE should have known. I was counting on it. I knew Shinji was gonna be in for a hell of a rough ride. I knew the Borderline Case track was probably gonna make a reappearance in a situation requiring its presence. It's the middle arc of a 4 part story, so of course shit is gonna get dark and twisted and weird. That isn't what I'm taking issue with. I think 3.0 is actually the most worthy of the title New Evangelion Theatrical Edition because it is the one which takes the story in the furthest direction from the series. And for that reason, and some of the ideas, scenes, and character moments, it's also the one that I like the most, but I still have significant problems with it and the Rebuild series as a whole because it does not resonate with me the way the series did because it feels like Anno doesn't care about the aspects of the original that made myself and thousands of others connect with the characters and appreciate his directorial skill. This isn't just me that thinks this. Though, I'd rather watch episode 24 rather than Q for the scene when Kaworu sacrifices himself and dies while Ode to Joy plays in the background, and--

Oh, look, here we are again.

Rebuild and NTE are not telling the same story, I'll grant you that. However, aspects of the stories are similar enough through the use of the same-looking characters with similar (though not entirely the same) characterizations, same dialogue, hell even entire scenes being lifted straight out of the original that comparisons between the two are unavoidable if you've gone into Rebuild having seen the series directly beforehand, as I pretty much did. It is only natural at such a point to ask yourself: Which of these two stories do I connect with more, and why?

Oh, and about 1.0 being successful: Are you kidding? How was any new Evangelion film for the first time in 10 years NOT going to be successful with the size of the fanbase it launched? Star Trek: The Motion Picture made over $80 million in 1979....and that movie had severe pacing issues, which is the professional way of saying it was boring as shit. But it had a rabid fanbase that was starved for any new content, regardless of what it was.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:47 am

One can be a fan for whom NGE resonated to the bone AND not like the new films anywhere near as much (despise aspects of them, even!) BUT still be capable of appreciating ENT for what it brings to the table WITHOUT reducing it to an endless series of comparisons plus stereotyped laments about what Anno did or didn't do (he didn't care, he bit off more than he could chew, etc etc). We've heard the laundry list of complaints a hundred times over and then some, so what more is there to really say beyond what Sachi said earlier: "that's just, like, your opinion man"?

You want validation, you've got it. Plenty of people feel exactly the same way you do. So that aspect is covered. If what you want is for everybody to stop saying anything with a gram of positivity about the new films, because it feels like some kind of personal affront or whatever for weird psychological reasons (to which I can actually relate since I've been there), well, you'll just have to deal with it and figure out how to channel those feelings more productively. If you want to magically undo the existence of the films, too bad. If you want to magically make their production over and done with because you think this will let you stop thinking about them (and if you dislike them so much, why are you so preoccupied with them, again...?), too bad. If you want Anno to personally tell you how much he regrets making them and grovel for your forgiveness, keep dreaming.

This thread has been circling like vultures since the very start, so I'm just going to call it a day and eat its bloated carcass before it rots any further. You're welcome.

(Remember that this thing still exists.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”