Khara specifically hiring animators for next Evangelion work

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Re: Khara specifically hiring animators for next Evangelion work

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:34 pm

This movie is never freakin coming out....
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:21 am

Well, keep telling yourself that and you'll be surprised and amazed when it finally does.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:01 am

That's just how they operate. Something similar happened with Q, if I recall. They called for animators a couple times in early and late 2010 and people spent months wondering what that meant. Then Asuka popped up on the June 2011 cover of Newtype with her damaged plugsuit and the black Spear of Cassius with very little warning. Then there was silence again for a few months until the next thing. I can't remember if that was the early animatic of Unit 02 twirling through space or the trippy troll piano teaser. The release date came out of the blue during that Eva Extra 08 thing in 2012.

Final's push could be completely different. You never know what they're going to do or how until until it happens.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:10 pm

Gonna be honest starting to think that it will never come out too, I mean shit we get Berserk updates (in the time since 3.0 and now guts got off the boat for reference on how long it's been) more regularly than we get Final updates and that's crazy.
I suppose I'm making the wait worse for myself by listening to Sakura Nagashi constantly though.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:21 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:I suppose I'm making the wait worse for myself by listening to Sakura Nagashi constantly though.

If you want alternative earworms in the same vein, try the soundtrack of Bokura ga ita! I had Aozora keeping me awake last night, but any of the songs sung by Izumi Katou could have done the same.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:09 pm

Well soon enough 3.0 is going to be 4 years old and 1.0 is going to be a decade before this movie comes out. I'm hoping for news after we get Annozilla but for now we are still going to be in the dark.

I just remember this time last year saying it would be out by now. And now we are all saying next year. It'd be awesome if it came out end of this year but considering we are 1/2+ through 2016 with nothing, I'd doubt it at this point.

These post for animators have meant nothing really.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:26 pm

At least wait for the damn lantern festival in August before you start spewing your "this is never coming out" garbage. Anno did Godzillia for that last, doubt it would be Godzillia again.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:25 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:At least wait for the damn lantern festival in August before you start spewing your "this is never coming out" garbage. Anno did Godzillia for that last, doubt it would be Godzillia again.

:lol: The "damn lantern festival" has become a more effective form of media advertisement for Hideaki Anno than literally all of the Disney Star Wars trailers combined.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:55 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:At least wait for the damn lantern festival in August before you start spewing your "this is never coming out" garbage. Anno did Godzillia for that last, doubt it would be Godzillia again.

"Wait for the festival guys!"
"Wait for New Years guys!"
"Wait for April 1st guys!"
"Wait for Godzilla guys!"
"Wait for the festival guys!"

I bet you after the festival ends and Anno does NOTHING for Final, we're gonna bunker down and mark our calendars for New Years....in August. I've given up hope back when Anno said "Please be patient", viewing it just like Gabe saying "I don't like cliff hangers either but....".

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:07 pm

Whining is a very mature way to go about things I guess.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:11 pm

I am 90% certain that Rebuild was entirely a ploy by Anno to fund his new studio without regard to really create something on par with the series. He knew going in that literally ANY new Evangelion content would mean massive profits regardless of how good the content was,

I have a pet theory that the REAL reason why Anno descended into a depression following 3.0 was that he knows how creatively lacking and flawed the new series is and is embarrassed by it on a personal level. However, he was able to pull himself out of it through working with Miyazaki and producing the Animator Expo series (which may have been the best way creatively and personally to spend all of that profit money.)

He's said for years that he's revising the script for Final continuously. Could it be perhaps that he's written himself into such a corner that he doesn't know how to wrap it up in a satisfactory way? 3.0 was the worst received entry in the series since Death and Rebirth (which it terrible considering 2/3 of it are a clip show) and although Anno is entitled to make divisive works, the majority of the critics are people who love NGE, but dislike the new movies because they're watered-down and not as resonant as the series.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:31 pm

I am 100% certain that 100% of your fun little narrative about Anno is 100% nonsense. But to each their own.

(Here we go) And actually Anno said he took a year off after 3.0 because he'd had another bout of depression - which could be brought on by anything in his personal or professional life and is no ones write to hypothesize what it could be - and had been working on Evangelion non-stop for about six years and that before he could get back to work on the final movie he was offered the once-in-a-lifetime to make a Godzilla film which he has making non-stop since 2014. That doesn't sound like Anno has been sitting in a room working on one script with a case of writer's block. Just sounds like he's been busy.

I'd also be curious to see what the initial response was for End of Evangelion because that movie was very confrontational and could easily alienate most viewers on initial viewing if they went in expecting something more traditional.

But hey, making up narratives is fun!

P.S. I'd love to see some of those quotes of Anno saying he's continuously rewriting this final movie because so far all I could find of him talking about Final was his letter of announcement for Godzilla: Resurgence and a joking comment he made in late 2014 about how Evangelion Final might not come out until 4 or 6 years after the third movie. Which is funny because WE found out a few months later that comment was made at a time when he was already hard at work on the script for Godzilla: Resurgence. So it was less "Gee, I'm stuck so I'll twiddle my thumbs for a couple years" but was more "I'm getting a chance to direct a major movie for the franchise I grew up loving as a child. THIS is my main focus right now as an artist."

As for his depression. It sounds pretty similar to what he went through when making NGE back in the 90s.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2014-10-27/anno-jokes-that-4th-new-evangelion-film-might-be-4-6-years-after-3rd-one/.80406

*The post below is a mistake. How can I delete a post?
Last edited by Gendo'sPapa on Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:33 pm

You can delete a post if it's the last one in a thread, i.e. hasn't been responded to.

TheFriskyIan: You seem to be taking the delay as some kind of personal affront. The film will happen when it happens and nothing anybody here says or does will affect it one iota. Just chillax and stop worrying about it. Engage with your other hobbies. Read some good books. Learn a new skill. Make something. The possibilities are endless, and I'd wager much more satisfying than grumpily staring down a kettle that takes years to boil.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:41 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:You seem to be taking the delay as some kind of personal affront. The film will happen when it happens and nothing anybody here says or does will affect it one iota. Just chillax and stop worrying about it. Engage with your other hobbies. Read some good books. Learn a new skill. Make something. The possibilities are endless, and I'd wager much more satisfying than grumpily staring down a kettle that takes years to boil.

Sorry, the only other thing I've waited long on was FFXV and I just don't have the interest for another ten year wait. I'm happy to take this advice but FFXV doesn't come out for another three months, and I've given up doing anything meaningful on XIV/WoW due to being with bad players. Most of what I also enjoy has me waiting on the pot as well unfortunately....

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:17 am

FriskyIan, I just don't even think about Shin Eva anymore. Sure, when it's announced I'll probably go bonkers and post my reaction to the news while linking to 10,000 choir members singing the chorus to Beethoven's 9'th Symphony, but until that happens there are so many other cool films and television shows for me to explore and other projects for me to work on to keep my mind creatively busy. I just recently saw this movie called The Frame, a low-budget direct-to-DVD/Blu-ray crime-suspense film written and directed by indy American filmmaker Jamin Winans. I recommend that you check that out, as well as his other movies as well. (He's directed a total of 3 feature-length films so far with varying levels of quality, but all of them are worth your time seeing.) His techniques and approach to live-action film remind me a lot of how Anno approaches most of his movies. I'll probably go on about his movies in the Film and Video section of this forum later on today. It'll certainly give you something smart and even a little action-oriented to busy yourself while we both wait for our very last serving of that sweet, sweet Anno Evangelion.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:42 am

@Freaky - I absolutely love that version of Beethoven's 9th on youtube.

Gendo'sPapa wrote:and a joking comment he made in late 2014 about how Evangelion Final might not come out until 4 or 6 years after the third movie.

I'd just like to point out this is no longer a joke, as it actually has been nearly 4 years since 3.0.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:06 am

He delivered the comment as a joke in 2014 but what we as viewers weren't aware of at the time was that he was serious about there being a 4 to 6 year gap because he was already under contract and at work on Godzilla: Resurgence at the time.

It was basically Anno making an honest public statement of "Yeah, I know you want the movie but I'm kinda busy right now sooooo.....".

Why he didn't say then & there he was doing a Godzilla movie or working on another project could have been to a multitude of factors. Most likely Toho wanted to handle how the major reveals of the film was made & Anno wanted to prepare a response for Evangelion fans like he did with his Godzilla announcement letter.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:43 am

All we can do is cross our fingers that it's closer to 4 than 6 and try not to stress over it. Or build a time machine, go to 2028 and pick up a copy of the NTE 20th Anniversary bluray box set and bring it back to the present. :lol: In the meantime, we have Resurgence to look forward to!

The festival's a week after Resurgence releases, so another Godzilla is possible. Would be pretty neat to see Anno draw the new version of Big G. He's great at drawing monsters, robots and non-human stuff.

And there's always the chance that this could happen again:
SPOILER: Show

:tongue:
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:28 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:FriskyIan, I just don't even think about Shin Eva anymore. Sure, when it's announced I'll probably go bonkers and post my reaction to the news while linking to 10,000 choir members singing the chorus to Beethoven's 9'th Symphony

Funny, I did that on my Facebook when Q's date was announced :lol:
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby LightDragonman » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:11 am

Yeah, the whole situation really makes me resent Godzilla, if only because it caused it already delayed film to be delayed even more. Heck, I've seen so many other series and franchises grow and change over this half-decade, but RoE has remained static and in the same depressing spot it's been in for so long, and now even longer while Anno goes off to film a guy in a rubber suit.
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”