Comic Books!

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Re: Comic Books!

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue May 31, 2016 1:29 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:He does not play nice with other peoples' toys, so no.

I don't know what makes you say that. He's the one of the only comic writers besides Kirby himself who has ever properly handled Darkseid.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue May 31, 2016 1:39 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I don't know what makes you say that. He's the one of the only comic writers besides Kirby himself who has ever properly handled Darkseid.

I used to be an X-Men fan. Now I'm not, and the reasons why can all be lain at his feet. People say his JLA run was great, which is fine I guess; what I read of it did not impress, but to each their own.

Regardless, I'd rather see Moore handle his own creation. He's a better wizard than Morrison anyway.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue May 31, 2016 1:51 pm

Oh no you didn't
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue May 31, 2016 1:55 pm

Moore retired some years ago, after the Galley-Wag scandal.

Morrison jumped the shark in the early 90s, after doing Zenith and Doom Patrol.

The safest answer is "none of the above".
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue May 31, 2016 3:18 pm

Perhaps that's so. But then writers never really retire, so a man can dream . . .
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:21 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:
SPOILER: Show
Other than dumb villain milking I think I like this. Could be a good storyline if they handle it right. Make Doc Manhattan the embodiment of the grim tone the comic industry took after misunderstanding Watchmen.

Just circling back on some of the comments now that I've read through the thread; I think you've touched on something pretty vital here.

Full circle.  SPOILER: Show
In that this confrontation with the new DCU against the Watchmen/corrupted Dr Manhattan (I really like my theory that he is one and the same as Morrison's Empty Hand from The Multiversity, it just makes so much sense, the same friggin' imagery is even repeated), it's essentially the new optimism that Rebirth represents versus - as you put it, Chuck - the misunderstood mission statement and legacy left by Watchmen, The Dark Knight Returns, et cetera. DC is going full circle in a meta-fictional sense. I would go so far to say that it's even going to be the universe exorcising its demons.

Also, I read in an interview today the pay-off from this reveal won't be seen until at least a couple years down the line. Looks like they're playing the long game with this one, and let's hope they do it right. Obviously these characters are not going to become mainstays. That's not what's happening at all. There is a very obvious point and objective here. I mean, imagine if Johns and Morrison have been co-conspirators planning something like this for the past few years. Read here to see what I mean on Johns' part. Personally, my ideal scenario is that these particular individuals are the ones in question, not Moore's creations. However that would be far too big a troll on the more casual readership. People are going to want THE WATCHMEN now; they've tasted blood.

Further on the matter of Rebirth.  SPOILER: Show
Wally's back! Everyone is going to slowly (maybe) start remembering their pre-New 52 lives! Black Aqualad - the closest thing we have to Kaldur'ahm from Young Justice - Ted Kord and the JSA are back too! It's a collective universal reawakening and I'm strapped in for the ride. Oh, and take a look at this upcoming cover art for an issue of Action Comics. This guy is Superman again.

"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:44 am

I would assume the Question is in fact Ozymandias... a fitting punishment considering the source of that name. Also that Pandora lady looks an awful lot like Zealot from Wildcats.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:12 pm

After
Rhodes / War Machine's
death in Civil War 2 Nick Spencer has taken behind the barn every last shred of subtlety Marvel had left and beat it to death with a rock...
:um:
Last edited by movieartman on Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:00 pm

.......this is dumb.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:20 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:After
Rhodes / War Machine's
death in Civil War 2 Nick Spencer taken behind the barn every last shred of subtlety Marvel had left and beat it to death with a rock...

Yeah, that is pretty dumb. I can't even imagine why he'd think that was a good idea, because . . . it isn't.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:09 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:After
Rhodes / War Machine's
death in Civil War 2 Nick Spencer taken behind the barn every last shred of subtlety Marvel had left and beat it to death with a rock...
:um:

What the fuck is this shit?

I was going to start reading cape books monthly again but you know what, fuck this. I read entertainment as an escape, I don't need to be lectured on how I should feel about social issues in a comic book.

Protip for creators: If you want to send a message, do it through symbolism, plot and drama instead of just having the characters line up and tell me what to think.

Edit: JESUS CHRIST WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH MARVEL
the prophecy is true

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:08 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I was going to start reading cape books monthly again but you know what, fuck this.

Dude, if I may be frank, fuck this gimmick bullshit and pay attention to real comics. Like the head of Image said recently, "Creatively, the golden age of comics is now," and it's true: Image, Vertigo, Valiant and even Marvel and DC all have great stuff. With Marvel, piss this Captain America nonsense off (which is obviously a ploy to keep their brand in the news media against DC Rebirth); look at the new Black Panther, Ultimates, Spider-Gwen, Moon Knight and more. All good comics you won't go wrong with.

Recent titles that have been top tier: Nameless and The Multiversity by Grant Morrison, The Omega Men from DC, The Valiant and Divinity mini-series from Valiant, Descender, Prophet (probably becoming one of my favourites of all-time), the entirety of Snyder and Capullo's Batman, Rasputin, Jonathan Hickman's run on The Ultimates, Jason Aaron's first two arcs in Thor: God of Thunder... I could go on almost endlessly. My point? If a person writes-off an entire genre or even a medium because of "lolcomicbook" moments, then that person is a twip, and I would also call them a muppet, too.

^_^
Warren Peace, #643919

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:12 pm

You may be Frank, if I can be Sally.

I'm waiting for the trade on Multiversity. I may pick up the Valiant stuff, the Stalin thing looks really interesting.
the prophecy is true

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:43 pm

Preach it Monday!

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I read entertainment as an escape, I don't need to be lectured on how I should feel about social issues in a comic book.
Protip for creators: If you want to send a message, do it through symbolism, plot and drama instead of just having the characters line up and tell me what to think.
Edit: JESUS CHRIST WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH MARVEL

I seriously feel you man.
Spencer on the 2 Cap books is the most glaring of the bunch right now, It's particularly sad as I really liked Spencer's work on Avengers World.
-- Samcap rescues immigrants from the serpent society (who sound Trumpish) at the border.
-- Samcap rebels against shield & Steve in defense of a whistleblower.
-- The higher up leader of the Serpent Squad is exactly Trump, he even has a line "we are going to make America MARVELOUS again"
-- Samcap takes on a new Falcon partner who is Latino (which is not bad inandof itself)
-- Said Latino Falcon mumbles to himself before first meeting Steve "What's up captain establishment your looking awfully white today sir". I swear to god I'm not kidding.
-- The Red Skull while recruiting Hydra agents gives a epic more rational and even morally sound version of Trump rhetoric.
-- Next arc of Samcap has robotic maniac cop like "Americops" as the villains. And one cover with them has them aiming guns at Muslims.
Its obscene!

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:43 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I'm waiting for the trade on Multiversity. I may pick up the Valiant stuff, the Stalin thing looks really interesting.

As your attorney, I advise you to expedite your procurement of The Multiversity. It's basically the sequel to Final Crisis and the next stage in Morrison's "Fifth World Saga". Hardcover is available, but yeah; if you're waiting for the trade, then...

You're probably going to have to read Divinity I and II before Stalinverse is out by the end of the year. The Valiant mini-series is probably one of the best introductions into the Valiant universe, and some of the best comics they've put out, so I strongly recommend grabbing that too. Actually, Britannia sounds like it's going to be really good as well. I'm really looking forward to it.

"Ruled by the Fates. Manipulated by the Gods. Commanded by Caesar. In the year 65 AD, one’s destiny was not his own. At the height of Nero’s reign, a veteran of Rome’s imperial war machine has been dispatched to the farthest reaches of the colonies to investigate unnatural happenings. In the remote outpost of Britannia, Antonius Axia – the First Detective – will become Rome’s only hope to reassert control over the empire’s most barbaric frontier, and keep the monsters that bridge the line between myth and mystery at bay."

:thumbsup:
Warren Peace, #643919

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:02 am

Omega Men #12

The perfect end to an amazing series. Not gonna lie, the finale to this one's a doozy and will bum you the fuck out. Major spoilers, major image dump and potentially soul-crushing content.

"I was the only one who loved you."  SPOILER: Show

This Shitaku article actually does a decent job of analysing the issue: http://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/05/the-om ... mics-ever/
Warren Peace, #643919

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:49 pm

Okay Blue, I have the trades of Prophet and Saga sitting in boxes from Amazon, waiting for me to crack them open. I got these suckers on your recommendation, so they better knock my socks off. If they don't, there will be . . . problems. :bat:

J/K. I'm actually pretty psyched about them, and am glad you brought them to my attention.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:32 pm

Awesome! Let me know what you think; really looking forward to your opinions, man. Both are phenomenal and very different kinds of sci-fi.
Warren Peace, #643919

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:21 pm

I remember prophet when it was a mostly forgettable Image rag. What changed?

Saga just didn't grab me. Not bad, and I kinda liked the crazy spider chick, but otherwise it was just sorta there.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:25 pm

Warren Peace, #643919

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”