[Film] Prometheus + Sequels

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: [Film] Prometheus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri May 27, 2016 4:13 pm

Resurrection and Prometheus on the same tier of dreck as AVPR*? Going to have to strongly disagree there. Both of them actually have some redeeming qualities. Any number of interesting ideas, albeit mostly executed badly. Former is gorgeous; latter is campy fun. Also probably safe to say that they've both inspired considerably more deep thinking than AVPR.

Alien 3 isn't the sequel people wanted, but I consider it a great film. A tortured masterpiece. Nothing I can say in its favor that others haven't already said, though. If you've dismissed it forever so be it, but those on the fence should really take another look.

* Not going to comment on the others, since I haven't seen them.

(Can we maybe get this tangent split into the general Alien thread?)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri May 27, 2016 4:51 pm

My love for Alien Resurrection is pretty much all due to nostalgia & I accept that.

My love for Prometheus knows no bounds & I embrace all of that films strengths & flaws for what it is.

Can't wait for ALIEN: COVENANT.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri May 27, 2016 5:45 pm

Using this scale I'd rate...
6 = Among the best movies ever made
5 = Amazing / Superb
4 = Great
3 = Good
2 = Ok / Meh
1 = Bad
0 = Horrible

Alien = 5
Aliens = 4
Alien 3 = high 3
Alien Resurrection = 2
Prometheus = low 4
Predator = 4
Predator 2 = 4
Predators = 4
AVP = 2
AVPR = 2

Further context to my ratings by for anyone who cares.
SPOILER: Show
The Terminator = 4
Terminator 2 = 5 maybe a low 5
Terminator 3 = 3
Terminator Salvation = low 4
Jaws = 5
Jaws 2 = 3
Jaws 3D = 1
Jaws The Revenge = low 1
Phantom Menace = 2
Clones = 2
Sith = high 1 (Hayden's horrid delivery in the "emotional" scenes in this pissed me off more then even Jar Jar)
Star Wars 77 = 4
Empire = 5
Jedi = 4
Awakens = high 3

View Original PostSachi wrote:Batman & Robin is at least campy and light-hearted

Fair enough I personally hate camp the majority of the time so I find it far harder to watch. GOTG is a notable exception.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:The movies in this mess that are actually good are Alien, Aliens, and Predator. That's it. Alien 3 and Predator 2 are flawed works with noteworthy highlights and a "damn, this could have been great if only X . . . " running through them.

I'd put all 3 Predator films as equal.
The 2010 Predators is probably TECHNICALLY the weakest of the 3 as it retreads the jungle setting and other details from the original but its still awesome.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat May 28, 2016 2:39 am

Dude, you rate T2 higher than T1, so your standards have no value. You also rate Alien higher than Aliens, when anyone with any sense knows they're from different genres and thus can't be meaningfully compared. And how the heck does Prometheus rate higher than Alien 3? The latter was flawed, but competent. The former had nothing to offer.

I'm also left wondering how you'd ever find a better horror movie than Alien, nor a better mil SF movie than Aliens, nor a better action movie than Predator. If these rate a 4 or 5 at best, what the hell trumps them?
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat May 28, 2016 3:01 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Dude, you rate T2 higher than T1, so your standards have no value.

Ehh, what?? As far as I know, a majority of people prefer T2 over T1. You may disagree with his ranking, but perhaps you could be just a little less dismissive. (Agreed on the rest though).
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat May 28, 2016 6:13 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Dude, you rate T2 higher than T1, so your standards have no value.

You also rate Alien higher than Aliens, when anyone with any sense knows they're from different genres and thus can't be meaningfully compared.

And how the heck does Prometheus rate higher than Alien 3? The latter was flawed, but competent. The former had nothing to offer.

I'm also left wondering how you'd ever find a better horror movie than Alien, nor a better mil SF movie than Aliens, nor a better action movie than Predator. If these rate a 4 or 5 at best, what the hell trumps them?

My ratings are based on both personal enjoyment & quality.
I actually used to like T1 more then T2 but it's surpassed it in recent years. The only people that seem to dislike T2 are people that dislike the "I know now why you cry" related moments, I have no problem with them.

I do agree Alien/Aliens are different and set out to acomplish different things. However I do think they can still be given their own general rating independent of each other.
I have always gotten a far more intense experience from Alien then I do Aliens. That's why I rate it higher. Aliens is absolutely still Badass!

The only flaws I had for Prometheus are the scientist taking their helmets off, the mappers getting lost, one of them trying to pet a alien cobra, no explination for David having emotions when he should not & just in general they should not have done all this set up and not have it actually be LV426.
Film is gorgeous, cast is mostly all great, mythology is intriguing.

Horror wise I'd say Jaws is equal with Alien & John Carpenter's the Thing is superior to it.

In my rating scale 5 is pretty much the general top rating.
6 is for preposterously incredible exceptions.
The Dark Knight & End of Evangelion are the only films I would give a 6 to from my personal experience.
I would never argue the Godfather 1 or 2 for example aren't 6s in technical quality but I didn't have that level of experience with them.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat May 28, 2016 7:57 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:My ratings are based on both personal enjoyment & quality.

I don't find that all that useful, since people enjoy different things. I mean, it's obviously impossible to be completely objective when assigning ratings and making reviews, but if your ratings consciously include personal enjoyment as well as technical quality they will wind up being inflated or deflated relative to everyone else, and thus of little use overall.

But of course you only ever include them as a point of reference so people can see where you're coming from, so I'm being a tad unfair here. Sorry about that.

I actually used to like T1 more then T2 but it's surpassed it in recent years. The only people that seem to dislike T2 are people that dislike the "I know now why you cry" related moments, I have no problem with them.

T1 is a great film because it's one of the few instances of an intact causality loop in modern cinema. It sets up rules for time travel and it follows them precisely, T2 breaks those rules -- in the same setting, no less! -- setting up the rest of the franchise for ever more ridiculous iterations of the initial premise.

I agree that T2 is the superior action film, which is all most people seem to care about, but T1 was a vastly superior story from a technical point of view. It is science fiction in its purest form, with just as much emphasis on the former term as the latter (I'll admit that T2 rivals it in terms of symbolism, though; it is very complementary to T1 in that regard, but it abandons its legit SF cred to go that route and that's a damn shame IMO).
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat May 28, 2016 8:57 am

The only thing I remember from AVP2 is the bit where the predalien puts the eggs in the pregnant women. I find that intriguing for some reason.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat May 28, 2016 8:01 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I don't find that all that useful, since people enjoy different things. I mean, it's obviously impossible to be completely objective when assigning ratings and making reviews, but if your ratings consciously include personal enjoyment as well as technical quality they will wind up being inflated or deflated relative to everyone else, and thus of little use overall.

But of course you only ever include them as a point of reference so people can see where you're coming from, so I'm being a tad unfair here. Sorry about that.

No problem man, I see it just that if something has really strong good aspects that I enjoy to such a extent that it far overshadows some technical flaws the film has, then it very well may be worth seeing despite said flaws for other people also.
When I fully review a film I still acknowledge the flaws I saw.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:15 am

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Re: Hollywood's "Ghost in the Shell"

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:23 pm

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:51 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Naomi confirmed to return.
http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2 ... -covenant/

That's fine, I guess, but what does it have to do with GitS, Hollywood or otherwise?

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:38 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:That's fine, I guess, but what does it have to do with GitS, Hollywood or otherwise?

Sorry opened the wrong tab.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:16 pm

People have the internet. Why are we just posting links to articles written by other people and offering no personal insight.
A forum is a place to express opinions. If I want to see dozens of links to articles & viewpoints on other websites I've got twitter for that.

And of course Noomi Rapace is coming back. That was always the plan. The filmmakers are telling a story and was hoping her involvement would be a surprise - walks into a showing of Alien:Covenant, wait a minute, I thought this was a sequel to Prometheus but Elizabeth Shaw is missing? 90 minutes into the film. Gasp! Shaw is alive & what's happened to her! - but this is the internet where we are all entitled and need to know everything about a movie and form detailed opinions on how much it will rule/suck before it is even ready to show to people.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:12 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:People have the internet. Why are we just posting links to articles written by other people and offering no personal insight.

Just sharing the info for people that do not frequent the movie news sites like I do.

Personal Insight wise I am extremely pleased she is returning. Altho I am displeased she will likely take a back seat to the Ridley homage lead character as I liked that Shaw was not just another Ripley stand in and had a unique personality.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:05 pm

Pics of the alien props & sets.
Kinda getting uneasy Alien Resurrection vibes :uhh:
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/other/sp ... en-a146361

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:21 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Kinda getting uneasy Alien Resurrection vibes :uhh:

Most I'm getting is perhaps a wink and a nod to the sequence with the deformed clones. Being as that was an incredible piece of pathos and body horror that singlehandedly justified AR's existence, I can't see how a callback is in any way a bad thing.

The eggs and huggers look more gynecological than ever. Just the way Giger-sama would have liked it. (The original alien egg design had a vulva-like aperture, which was changed to a cross shape for obvious reasons.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:53 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Most I'm getting is perhaps a wink and a nod to the sequence with the deformed clones. Being as that was an incredible piece of pathos and body horror that singlehandedly justified AR's existence, I can't see how a callback is in any way a bad thing.

Solid point sir. You are quite correct now that I think about it.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:25 am

Huh, that looks pretty neat. The facehugger is disgusting as ever, and those Alien "abortions"...brrr. Also good to see the Space Jockey seat make a return.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:23 pm

First poster. Tastefully restrained & simple.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/i ... en-a147030

Return to “Film and Video”