Evangelion 3+1, No 2016 Release?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Evangelion 3+1, No 2016 Release?

Postby Ray » Sun May 15, 2016 5:37 pm

sigh. . . PM Me the link.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon May 16, 2016 8:48 am

View Original PostStillborn wrote:I just don't consider Evangelion hopeful.

The Japanese word for "hope" is dropped multiple times in a thematic fashion throughout the entire NGE series, and its last installment had an ending less than happy.

I'm having a hard time remembering if "hope" was ever mentioned at all in NTE. If it was it doesn't seemed to be interwoven into the narrative as a core theme in the storytelling.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Postby TheFriskyIan » Mon May 16, 2016 9:49 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I'm having a hard time remembering if "hope" was ever mentioned at all in NTE. If it was it doesn't seemed to be interwoven into the narrative as a core theme in the storytelling.

Wasn't "Hope" a kind of big thing near the end of Q?
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Jurrasic » Mon May 16, 2016 1:57 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:The Japanese word for "hope" is dropped multiple times in a thematic fashion throughout the entire NGE series, and its last installment had an ending less than happy.

I'm having a hard time remembering if "hope" was ever mentioned at all in NTE. If it was it doesn't seemed to be interwoven into the narrative as a core theme in the storytelling.

Shinji called the twin Longinus spears 'our spears of hope' at least once while climbing up Lilith's corpse. That's about the only direct mention of the word I can recall in 3.33 at least. Not sure about previous movies, but I think hope for the future was implied with the (Tree of Life-shaped) Ocean Reclaimation Station in 2.22.
"Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari, Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to go fuck themselves!" -ElMariachi

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby KingXanaduu » Mon May 16, 2016 2:00 pm

While I don't agree with you stance on Evangelion being forced or not having a hopeful message Stillborn, I applaud you for now extending the feeling of hope and happiness instead of you having the view of negativity against all facets of life like you used to. Glad to see that you're making an improvement.
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Mon May 16, 2016 2:07 pm

View Original PostJurrasic wrote:Shinji called the twin Longinus spears 'our spears of hope' at least once while climbing up Lilith's corpse. That's about the only direct mention of the word I can recall in 3.33 at least.

The trailer at the end says that Shinji will find hope in the next film.
Last edited by pwhodges on Mon May 16, 2016 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon May 16, 2016 2:27 pm

The Wunder's been called the ship of hope, though I have no idea where the title came from. I don't recall hearing it in Q but I might easily have missed it.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Mon May 16, 2016 2:55 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:The Wunder's been called the ship of hope, though I have no idea where the title came from.

Space Battleship Yamato of course
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon May 16, 2016 2:57 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Space Battleship Yamato of course

Some checking tells me it was Ritsuko, actually.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Mon May 16, 2016 3:01 pm

In-universe yes
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Mon May 16, 2016 4:32 pm

Hope's mentioned a few times. Ship of hope. Kaworu says Shinji needs to find it and that they'll restore hope to the Lilin. Shinji calls the spears their only hope. It's in the end trailer narration, and I think Kaworu also drops it when he's telling Shinji about Third Impact. "There's always hope" or somesuch.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue May 17, 2016 7:34 am

It's not tied into the narrative in such a thematic way as it was in NGE. (Heck, people started talking about "hope" way back in Ep 7.) And if anything its usage in Eva Q leads to a false hope, as demonstrated by the actions of Gendo and Kaworu. I really wouldn't use specifically Eva Q references to argue anything "hopeful" being promised in the next film.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Tue May 17, 2016 8:28 am

I imagine the next time preview saying Shinji finds hope would be an exception then

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Tue May 17, 2016 12:33 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:I imagine the next time preview saying Shinji finds hope would be an exception then

Ha! Fake laugh, hiding real pain.

Eva is tragedy, and whatever happy moments are in it are simply there for contrast. It's held true in every other part of the franchise, it'll hold true for 3.0+1.0/4.0/Final/whatever the title ends up being.

But back on topic. Where are the promos? Where's the sneak peek? Where's the teaser trailer?

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Tue May 17, 2016 12:37 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Eva is tragedy, and whatever happy moments are in it are simply there for contrast.

I'd say it's more coming of age than tragedy, seeing that both EoE and Final (will most likely after what the preview told us) end with hope

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue May 17, 2016 12:48 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Eva is tragedy,

Except it isn't, as has been explained to you many times.

It's held true in every other part of the franchise,

And this is just blatantly false.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby KingXanaduu » Tue May 17, 2016 2:39 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:
Eva is tragedy, and whatever happy moments are in it are simply there for contrast. It's held true in every other part of the franchise, it'll hold true for 3.0+1.0/4.0/Final/whatever the title ends up being.

Uh, HELLO? Have you read some of the other Evangelion Manga, even the OFFICIAL Manga? Shinji Ikari Raising Project? Angelic Days? HECK, even RE-TAKE!?

Do those end in tragedy? I don't think so. ^_^
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue May 17, 2016 4:09 pm

View Original Postxanderkh wrote:HECK, even RE-TAKE!?

Shinji Ikari (allegedly) wrote:Did you know that a hentai circle produced a doujin series with a better ending?

Yeah. I'm sorry. At least you can pretend that I scored the emotionally vulnerable German chick. I mean, shooting fish in a barrel, and somehow I missed...
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Sicarius VI » Tue May 17, 2016 7:06 pm

Ok I just want to put a small note that I did not make this thread for the intention to be speculating about events of the movie or to generally start arguments about Evangelion in general. Just wanted to discuss the possibility of getting this movie in 2016 or not and what it turned into of a possible teaser trailer this year.

That is all.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby KingXanaduu » Tue May 17, 2016 8:23 pm

^

Unfortunately Sicarius, that's pretty much a given with the Evangelion fandom now, considering how split this fandom is being now thanks to Rebuild.

Apparently, people only seem to exist in a spectrum of Black and White when in comes to negativity and optimism. It's either all sunshine and rainbows, or misery and pain. :um:

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”