Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Re: Gundam (In All Its Incarnations) Mk. II

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:35 am

IBO will get a second season/sequel. It was just confirmed at the end of the final episode (''IBO will return in Fall 2016''). Color me surprised, since the BD/DVD sales and the TV ratings are bad compared to previous Gundam series. Maybe Sunrise decided to greenlight the sequel based on show's reception worldwide (similar to what happened with Build Fighters).
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: Gundam (In All Its Incarnations) Mk. II BP

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:41 am

FTR, this is the first series in the Franchise and the first in five Sunrise mecha productions where Alaska is involved, yet nothing bad happens either to it or the people from there. Instead, we just got scenic railway images from the Point MacKenzie Line.

... and this insanely wrong line:

Y'know, just "worried", not "outraged" or "shocked" or a "I don't know who you are anymore" or even a "WHAT WILL THE VOTERS THINK?!?" Kony 323

Because the thing to be concerned about when it comes to child soldiers is that they *might* not know what they're doing. Not that, y'know, having children fight your literal battles is morally repugnant.

Also, dat name: Lasker Alesi?!? You hit a brick wall as to "Alaskan" names so hard, that you decided to just break "Alaska" itself in half, and called it a day, didn't you Sunrise?

... Meh, anyway, I have a question: couldn't they just postpone the election in light of the pitched battle happening around the city?

I also have a prediction:
SPOILER: Show
McGillis' plan to "reform" everything is to bring about the singularity, starting with his closest *friends*.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:26 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Not that, y'know, having children fight your literal battles is morally repugnant.
They've had mobile suits around long enough that they've learned that you don't sent a man out to do a boy's job. If your mecha is being piloted by someone over the age of 14 (17 in exceptional cases) you know you're on to a loser.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:32 pm

These last few episodes of IBO were good. It's a shame the rest of the show was so below average.

I hope season two does a better job - we a need a better story and better characters, or at least seriously improve the writing for existing ones.

My hopes for S2:

-Pirate Mika, give him an eye-patch
-A gundam for Orga
-Less forced cringe-worthy romance
-Better mech designs
-More frequent battles
-More death

Also,

Is Ein and Candy man really dead? I could see them somehow being brought back, especially Ein.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:16 pm

View Original PostStan wrote:These last few episodes of IBO were good. It's a shame the rest of the show was so below average.

I hope season two does a better job - we a need a better story and better characters, or at least seriously improve the writing for existing ones.

This is utterly bizarre to me, as I found the writing on the show to be several cuts above average from start to finish.

I'm not sure why they're bothering with another series, as all of the plot points were neatly wrapped up in this one. It was nice that the final ep had a decent amount of epilogue, too.

I'm pleased to note that the show succeeded in avoiding many of the usual Gundam tropes for the duration, and added some along the way:

• No Haro
  • No beam weaponry
  • We did get a guy in a mask, but it was a transparent disguise and he got rid of it before the show's end
  • No MS upgrade for the MC
  • A subversion of the "kill 'em all" ending, despite the grim fakeout of 24
  • Recognition of the fact that using children as pilots is seriously fucked up
  • A surprising lack of romantic entanglements; there are hints here and there, of course, but romance played almost no role in the story

I'm still fuzzy on how Mika pulled out a win at the end there, and it's unfortunate that nothing was really done about the child soldier business, but perhaps that will be addressed in season 2.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:43 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:FTR, this is the first series in the Franchise and the first in five Sunrise mecha productions where Alaska is involved, yet nothing bad happens either to it or the people from there. Instead, we just got scenic railway images from the Point MacKenzie Line.

There was an Alaska battle in Seed.

View Original PostFireball wrote:just a flesh wound

I like that this actually turned out to be true.

View Original PostStan wrote:These last few episodes of IBO were good. It's a shame the rest of the show was so below average.

I agree with this. The insipid writing at times and dragging its feet for 18 episodes with gooey Okadaspunk filling in the cracks I already expected this to have a second season. I had a lot of trouble really caring about or being interested in any of the characters or the politics in IBO. Who they are, their motivations and how they grew and came to be was all just completely uninteresting to me. It just felt like a standard mecha show with a bland universe and a shallow cast of characters. I also didn't care much for the overarching plot or antagonists either. The actual mecha action was at least good though. I appreciated the boundedness of regular shell based armament and non-beam melee action. The Earth part was entertaining.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:11 pm

I can't comment on how IBO compares with other Gundam series, because all I've watched of them is the original films and 0080 War in the Pocket. However, I did enjoy it (haven't seen the last ep yet, though), and found the characterisation interesting and the pacing OK - perhaps getting a bit compressed in the last few eps.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:32 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:There was an Alaska battle in Seed.

I think you misread something, IBO is the first to feature Alaska and have nothing bad happen to it or to someone from there. Not the first to simply have it.

Seed, GSD, Gundam 00, Buddy Complex. Together with IBO, that makes 5 Sunrise productions to invoke it.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:13 pm

Received my copy of Zeta Volume 1 on BluRay and watched the first episode today. I have to say the colors and graphics are sparkling in their awesomeness. Speaking on the matter of the plot, plenty of Kamille losing his cool over every little thing and picking fights which inevitably don't end in his favor. Not the way I want to first get to know my Gundam protagonist so here's hoping he smartens up. Char is still quite the strategist and his camera didn't get shot by the enemy fire like the first Gundam series. And choosing to ignore the password decoder after the fourth door and going for the grenade because he thinks it won't necessarily work after the fourth time was said like an expert which is cool of his character. Bright and Emma non-speaking cameos could've been done more justice by having at least one line uttered by each of them but oh well.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:11 am

Indeed. Sunrise did a great job with Zeta Gundam on Blu-Ray. Actually they done an amazing work with all the Gundams on Blu-Ray. Nice, vibrant and crisp picture.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:08 pm

Canadians are starting to take notice that they had a mobile suit fight in their backyard.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonton/2016/03/23/famous-anime-series-models-city-on-edmonton.html

I'd like to see how As It Happens goes with this one.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:20 pm

View Original Postcyharding wrote:Canadians are starting to take notice that they had a mobile suit fight in their backyard.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonton/2016/03/23/famous-anime-series-models-city-on-edmonton.html

Wow, looks like they got an awful lot of details right there. That's some impressive research on their part.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:45 pm

Yep, it looked just like Edmonton...... And as a Winnipeger it was a lot of fun to see it get blown up by Gundams. :beavis:
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:14 pm

So how did everyone find episode 1 of UC re: 0096? It was pretty bad imo, the openings/endings weren't impressive and the way they started/ended the episode felt awkward. Not impressed at all so far.

View Original Postcyharding wrote:Canadians are starting to take notice that they had a mobile suit fight in their backyard.

I really gotta go there, it's like an hour away by plane and I get free tickets.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:54 pm

View Original PostStan wrote:I really gotta go there, it's like an hour away by plane and I get free tickets.

Edmonton? More like 3.5 hours from Toronto by plane.... If you're talking about leaving from Toronto that is.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:11 am

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:Edmonton? More like 3.5 hours from Toronto by plane.... If you're talking about leaving from Toronto that is.

No no, I didn't mean from Toronto haha.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:07 am

View Original PostStan wrote:So how did everyone find episode 1 of UC re: 0096?

Why does it exist?

Who was coming away from the OVAs, thinking "This needs more plot, yo!" ?

Teaser wrote:What is Laplace's Box?
What secret does it contain?

Who are you kiddin' ?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:27 pm

The question "Why?" has never been more appropriate.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:25 pm

Newtype interviewed the staff of IBO and they revealed the original plan for the series.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:26 am

Watched Thunderbolt episodes 1 and 2. I seem to recall Dr. Grant in Jurassic Park III saying "Some of the worst things ever imagined have been done with the best intentions" and that's how the experiments performed on Daryl and his squadron felt to me. Cutting Daryl's right arm off was a visceral scene that I couldn't even look at without cringing. I hope Sexton who was the one who suggested and even coerced Dr. Carla to do the procedure gets offed in the worst way. As for Io, still cocky in my eyes but at least a little background on his past and his least favorite song at the beginning fleshed him out even if it was just a little bit. Has episode 3 come out yet?
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Return to “Anime and Manga”