The Essential Evangelion Chronicle: Side A & Side B

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:50 pm

^Sometimes you've gotta suffer for fashion, man. :tongue:

View Original PostRay wrote:Suspenders AND a wool turtleneck

When paired with a well tailored suit and as long as they're hidden, as is always the case with Gendo in NGE, I much prefer suspenders over a belt.

I've tried to wear turtlenecks though, and they do nothing but invite hostility; they are deader than dead. Though Gendo totally pulls it off. I've always thought his clothes were very cool and was much more offended by his beard and glasses. This is all OT of course, but someone had to defend the uber pimp.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:23 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Suspenders AND a wool turtleneck

Get rid of the beard and it's a perfectly-suitable look (at least as a frontman in a mid-80's British "New Wave" band)...

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:39 pm

It further hammers home the point that Gendo just does NOT give anything about how he looks. The bare minimum needed to look semi professional.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:08 pm

Amazon just notified me of a slight delay in the UK availability of SideB - now expected mid-September. I'll be keeping an eye on Wordery well before then, though.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:37 pm

View Original PostSephizim wrote:Also, on a lighter note, I posted this pic of Gendo from the book on tumblr, pointing out how dorky his outfit looks without the coat, and it has become my most popular post on that site by far, to an almost scary degree.

Good Lord. :facepalm: He really drives the dork factor up like crazy in this one.

On a slightly more serious note, the suspenders actually look necessary since Gendo's waist is much smaller than I would've expected, and many men in their late 40s have a tendency to put on weight. It makes me think that Gendo doesn't care much about eating beyond the bare minimum he needs to survive, which fits his character perfectly.

Frankly, I'm fine with turtlenecks, I have found them quite useful in the winter personally and I don't think I've ever "invited hostility". Perhaps I can pull them off after all, although I'd rather go with a much deeper shade of red than the one Gendo's using here.

Oh, by the way, I just started something on the wiki that this might come in handy for...
http://wiki.evageeks.org/Evangelion_Character_Designs
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:15 pm

@Kuma: Love the article idea!

I'm STILL debating with myself if I'd wanna get these Side A/B books, or the Chronicle Illustrations (Asuka on cover) whenever this year, since money-issues. I'm gonna get myself the Tony Takezaki manga for sure, because it looks hilarious from what I've seen.

With Side B, I'm mainly interested just how the Timeline section is handled with End of TV/End of Eva being both referenced. :smirk: Related personal happiness to End of TV/End of Eva...
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:35 am

IIRC you already have the Rei cover, so go with the Side A/B; Asuka will wait (she'll complain about it, of course, but reality is what it is). The Side A/B stuff is a lot better content-wise.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:57 am

I don't have any of those, nope.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:19 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I don't have any of those, nope.

Ah. I still recommend Side A/B, as they have (many of) the illustrations and an awful lot of other info as well. They're definitely the better purchase IMO. Can't deny that the Illustrations book is the prettier of the two, though; if you're just looking for great Eva art it's hard to go wrong there.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:28 am

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind whenever I make my purchases! :)

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:43 pm

Amazon have just told me they've put back the delivery date of Side B to 21 January 2016.

WTF?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:05 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Amazon have just told me they've put back the delivery date of Side B to 21 January 2016.

WTF?

How unpleasant. Perhaps they're embarrassed by their gaffes in Side A and are holding Side B back for another pass? But jeez, five months is a bit much.

cody727kirby
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby cody727kirby » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:16 pm

Well crap. Was planning on using it as a source for a character analysis video I've been working on. Does anyone know if there are exclusive bits about Yui in Side B?

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:25 pm

It's not a true Evangelion release until it's been delayed at least once.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:57 am

Well, now the third time - I've just been told by Amazon to expect Side B in mid-March 2016...

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:24 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Well, now the third time - I've just been told by Amazon to expect Side B in mid-March 2016...

Yup same here, so it'll be out roughly the same time as 3.33.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: The Essential Evangelion Chronicle: Side A & Side B

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:32 pm

A new firm delivery date - Side B now projected to reach me 12th of March.

EDIT: Delayed to March 17 2016 - March 19 2016

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:10 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:A new firm delivery date - Side B now projected to reach me 12th of March.

EDIT: Delayed to March 17 2016 - March 19 2016

Looks like they're saying I should be getting mine next week. So damn stoked, since my top ten NGE episodes are all after Ep. 13. Not looking to learn anything new, but it'll be really nice to see all the images and screenshots and all that jazzz. All the typos in Side A were a little disappointing, but hopefully with the extra six months or so they took care of that in B.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:17 pm

They're saying March 2 for me as well. Fingers crossed . . .

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:14 pm

Received Side B in the mail today; it's a beauty. I've only had a few minutes to flip through it so far, but it seems to be illustrated pretty well and I haven't noticed any glaring typos(yet, haha). It's pretty awesome that it includes the frame by frame images of the words flashed on the screen in Eps. 16 and 22.

I didn't have much interest in reading Side A from cover to cover, but it should be pretty fun to do it with this one.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”