Scale of Lilith's Head & Command Center FoI

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Scale of Lilith's Head & Command Center FoI

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:43 pm

I noticed something kind of peculiar while gathering screencaps from 3.0. Remember the wide shot of Lilith's severed head in the old Command Center, with the pile of FoIs?

SPOILER: Show

There's not much to use to compare scales in this shot alone, so it looks like Lilith's head is garguantuan and resting atop a pile of Eva-sized bodies. But then I wondered what would happen if you compared this shot to the shots of Zeruel staring down the bridge, and the quick skirmish with Eva 01 that followed.

Zeruel's second form is bigger than an Eva, but it's crouched down when it enters the command center. This puts the operations deck where Misato/Ritsuko/the three bridge bunnies are right at face level for it:

Then Unit 01 does us a solid and provides an excellent size reference for the bridge:

Unit 01's crouched and leaning forward, but it looks like the operation deck would be just a little under chest height if it were standing up straight.

According to this, that puts the deck at a height of around 60 meters:

If you look at the first image again, you can see the operations deck over on the right, and the two empty lower levels where the Magi should be. Lilith's head isn't all that big when you compare the two. In fact, it doesn't look like it's as tall as Unit 01! That also means the pile of FoIs beneath it are actually fun-sized Evas! :gasp: Maybe 1/2 to 1/3 scale? It's hard to tell exactly where the floor is in any of these shots.

Evidently her body continued to grow long after the head came off. Mark.06 is tiny compared to the rest of Lilith's enormous body and it's about 3 times bigger than a normal Eva when it's all bloated up, and much larger than the head would be.

What do you all make of this? We already knew the FoI could be Eva sized and super sized, but apparently they can also be snack-sized too! And what about Lilith's body? It lumbering around headless doing whatever isn't completely out of the question in this continuity. Or maybe Mark.06 was controlling it before they were skewered and left to rot?
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:20 am

In the original series, the height of the Evas ranges from about 40m to 200m, depending. Size and scale is rather inconsistent throughout, so I wouldn't read too much into it.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:21 am

Emotional scale for "boom" frames. Chess parallells for what is going on in Q. Donno
something about the tesseract tectacles.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:17 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:In the original series, the height of the Evas ranges from about 40m to 200m, depending. Size and scale is rather inconsistent throughout, so I wouldn't read too much into it.

That's true for the original series, but the movies have been very good about avoiding that particular flub. The CRC has the Evas listed as 80m and overall they're very consistent with the characters and their surroundings. I suppose it's a lot easier now that they're 3D models!

In Lilith's case, the head is significantly smaller than the rest of her corpse. You could barely fit Mark.06 inside the Command Center at its new size, and the rest of her is like a city block.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:53 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:In Lilith's case, the head is significantly smaller than the rest of her corpse. You could barely fit Mark.06 inside the Command Center at its new size, and the rest of her is like a city block.

Lilith clearly expanded in size between 2.0 and 3.0, yes? Presumably this was not an instananeous process. We see furthermore that Mark.06 fused with Lilith and, from then on, expanded along with her. Hence, the size of the head simply represents the size that Lilith had swollen up to at the point that she was decapitated. After it was severed, the head would cease to grow.

I don't have any good explanation for why the FoIs are so damned small, however... Er, umm, Lilith's flesh is toxic to their constituent core material, and direct contact results in rapid shrinkage. :p
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:46 pm

Uhhh....maybe they formed from blood spraying from Lilith's neck/head and were killed by the head chopper before they could grow bigger? And then Nerv stuffed Mark.06 into her neck to plug up the blood fountain? :tongue:

That's more or less what I was talking about in my first post with regards to Lilith's head. I was just really surprised to see such a large discrepancy between the head and body's sizes. Don't know if there's anything useful we can glean from any of this, but it seemed like it was worth noting!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:47 am

Oh, yeah, now I see you did mention most of what I then proceeded to needlessly reiterate. Doh. :tongue:

Looking at Eva-01 inside the Command Center, it seems to me that she's definitely smaller than Lilith's head, only coming up to about Lilith's nose. So no problems there. (What bothers ME there more than anything else is the decapitated head looking like Rei while the rest of the body does not...) With regard to the FoIs, it occurs to me that we've only been assuming that they're Eva-sized, but is there really anything to support that? Aside from the mysterious skulls in Central Dogma assumed to belong to them, anyway.*

(How the hell is that even supposed to work, anyway? The FoIs are made completely of core material -- we see cross sections of them! There's no clean white bones inside! And if those are their skulls, where the hell are the mandibles? Why are the bodies fully covered in armor but the heads nothing but stripped-down crania? And human-shaped rather than Eva-shaped skulls at that? Gah! Fuck the FoI.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:35 am

Most likely is that the FoI were originally organic like the rest of the EVA's and only after Liliths decapitation did they turn to core
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:41 am

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Most likely is that the FoI were originally organic like the rest of the EVA's and only after Liliths decapitation did they turn to core

Why would the bodies turn to core and not the heads? Why would Lilith's decapitation cause this to happen? Why would they have bleached white human crania for heads, rather than, you know, heads that match the rest of their bodies (i.e., ones with Eva-01's head armor)? Not a whole lot here adds up. :p
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:55 am

Maybe this'll help
http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/14723/Speculation-a-new-take-on-the-Failures-of-Infinity/
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:17 am

I've seen the thread before, and far from being conclusive in any way it just seems to solidify my impression that we have no idea what the fuck is going on.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:09 am

I kind of want to read it but I'd probably have to pick the anima thread first.
I'm more interested with what fois mean to megarei and what they have done with her clones. FoI probably mark different intrumentalities given different layers of them or at least I guess that's it, who tried to take megarei's feminine power of creation?

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:52 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:I've seen the thread before, and far from being conclusive in any way it just seems to solidify my impression that we have no idea what the fuck is going on.

Third Impact is like the hydra of mysteries. For every possible lead you find, two new mysteries pop up and you're just more confused than before! :lol:

I think the skulls might be entirely unrelated to the FoI. Before Lilith explodes, Dogma is full of hills and valleys of the things so thick the Evas can walk on them. After she explodes, the skulls vanish, the room seems to be level again, but the blood is only ankle deep on Mark.09. Maybe they melted too?

One of the FoI in Until You Come to Me does have bones inside it, but the ones inside the main shaft have been cross-sectioned and they're just solid red core all the way through. These do look look like they're Eva-sized or very close to it:

Same for the ones on the roof. You can just barely make out Mark.09 on the edge of the shaft:

Unless their size somehow correlates to Lilith's size, it doesn't tell us much. :um:

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:44 am

To me it's dramatic scaling. Some hole you want to dig out from both agoraphobia and claustrophobia so after an emotional boom frame the hero gets smaller and smaller as 13 flies up and the biggest halos ever pop up.
Is there a general thread about third impact?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”