[News] strange happenings of 2015

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:38 am

I wish this should happen in my country, because the goddamn telecoms are raking in the dough but not fixing the system.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2015/06/17/att-just-got-hit-with-a-100-million-fine-after-slowing-down-its-unlimited-data/?postshare=731438009798927

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:34 am

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2015/06/17/att-just-got-hit-with-a-100-million-fine-after-slowing-down-its-unlimited-data/?postshare=731438009798927

All they had to do was inform customers when the throttling would start, like T-Mobile does, and they could've avoided the fine. I always thought it was pretty fair that T-Mobile says "if you pay us $50 a month, you'll get 1 GB of 4G and then reduced speeds. If you want more, pay us $60 or $70 a month for a larger cap." Much better than losing your access entirely after hitting the cap, transparent, and realistic considering that mobile bandwidth is a limited resource.

Why AT&T/Verizon/Comcast/etc. find it so hard to do something so simple is beyond me.

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:02 pm

^ Excuse me, but if the maximum usage is 4Gb, people want to make use of that 4Gb. Not 1Gb. Not 1 Gb of 4 Gb and then slower speeds. 4Gb. Not 1Gb.

Of course, the main problem is that US infrastructure sucks balls in most places that are not Silicon Valley and the companies that could do something about it prefer to sit on their money and give incompetent idiots salaries they don't deserve.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:34 pm

View Original PostShamsiel-kun wrote:^ Excuse me, but if the maximum usage is 4Gb, people want to make use of that 4Gb. Not 1Gb. Not 1 Gb of 4 Gb and then slower speeds. 4Gb. Not 1Gb.

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying, or maybe I'm understanding what AT&T was fined for. Again, T-Mobile is very transparent about when you're going to be throttled, and this fine seems to be due to a lack of similar transparency on AT&T's part. I think you might be confusing speed caps with total monthly usage caps.

Of course, the main problem is that US infrastructure sucks balls in most places that are not Silicon Valley

For all of the very real problems in US infra -- and Silicon Valley is not very good, actually -- there are also very real constraints on mobile bandwidth that can't be solved simply by spending more money. I'm constantly amazed things work as well as they do.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:21 pm

More than 15 years ago, anyone building websites had to cut down the sizes of their images so that their pages could load faster on dialup. Now in this age and time and because we got so much bandwidth, some website devs seem to have no compunction about optimizing content that it's no surprise that some of their sites download slowly, and this also translates to unnecessarily large amounts of consumed bandwidth.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:50 pm

What is even the point anymore.

No really Xbone is now literally just a less powerful PC, why even make a console at this point, its over the console wars are done it will be dead soon and all that will be left is PC master race
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:54 pm

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/29/9067311/kfc-canada-memories-bucket-bluetooth-polaroid-printer

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby MAGI_01 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:10 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:What is even the point anymore.

No really Xbone is now literally just a less powerful PC, why even make a console at this point, its over the console wars are done it will be dead soon and all that will be left is PC master race

I see it as another gimmick to try to bring over more buyers to the XB1, since it's pretty obvious the system is not selling like the PS4. MS shot themselves in the foot with the always on DRM deal (Even though they backed out) and the Kinect requirement, which basically they lied about.

I'll happily stick with PC and PS4.
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:13 pm

You want non-political news? Have something which (to me at least) is really boring:

[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33715671[/url]

I didn't watch their show even once when it was on a channel I could see; this new show I won't be able to see and so will be saved the trouble of ignoring.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Or if you want the fun side of politics (though a pretty boring example), have criticism of Cameron for using the word "swarm" to describe "a lot of migrants".

[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33716501[/url]

Note in the report that Farage says he wouldn't use such language, but is then quoted as using the same word!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:16 pm

Reminder that this is supposed to be news of the weird and amusing, not the place to poke fun at and label agendas you don't agree with.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Dataprime » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:14 pm

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:17 pm

Wonder why the article didn't bother mentioning one of the biggest motivations for fast supercomputers is to crack encryption, since they're mentioning the arms race against China.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:38 pm

I recall reading Digital Fortress several times.

---------
I have never seen something taken so seriously:
http://news.yahoo.com/lion-zimbabweans-ask-amid-global-cecil-circus-140822692.html
http://covenesque.tumblr.com/post/125482436858

But then not surprised considering it's Zimbabwe.

---------
Excuse me, but can I laugh? :lol:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/31/9078375/nvidia-recalls-shield-tablets-over-fire-hazard-concerns

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:53 am

http://nypost.com/2015/07/09/women-less-likely-than-men-to-travel-back-in-time-and-kill-hitler/
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:49 pm

So this is Journalism now, is it? Sigh.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:03 pm

No, it's the New York Post.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:45 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:So this is Journalism now, is it? Sigh.

If it was journalism, it probably wouldn't be welcome in this thread!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:12 pm

Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:21 pm

I already get this from Google -- I book a hotel, and the morning I'm about to set off, my tablet gives me the best cycling route there.

Friday mornings, I just get traffic conditions on the way to the usual lunchtime pub.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:37 pm

Also known as "Ha ha, somebody didn't read the user agreement and I get to make fun of them."

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”