Asuka's Left Eye in 3.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:10 am

View Original PostCraftee wrote:because in this image it says Asuka is the angel's core.

SPOILER: Show

Where does it say that? Looks like it says that the entry plug is the core.

Craftee
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Craftee » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:14 am

Well i mean, the entry plug isn't alive,
and after seeing Asuka's face turn into blue mesh... yea...
Still waiting on Evangelion Final...

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:12 pm

Since I'm bumping this old discussion, sorry if old points are rehashed, but..

Eva Fan in this old topic mentions the possibility of Asuka's eye-patch being an Angel-sealing item (since there are those Angel hex seals that appear from her eye and other places within the 3.0 film): http://neweva.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-2302.html

Just makes me wonder if underneath the eyepatch, it's something of a symbiotic relationship? Or maybe the physical/psychological scars still remain, since it was defeated during the 9th Angel mess--and Ritsuko said how any traces of contamination were removed?

I personally don't think Asuka would go full on 11th Angel or something (IMO that would be just ridiculous), but I could see it as a handicap of something she'd always have to bitterly live with (plus losing her eye overall :( ).

Other thoughts on what this'll mean for her in FINAL?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:26 am

Well, I don't think it's anything particularly dangerous or that she's at risk of becoming an Angel or anything like that. Misato and Ritsuko wouldn't let her anywhere near an Eva or put her into situations that would potentially cause an Impact if that were the case.

You can faintly see the outline of the pupil and iris when she's in beast mode, so I think she still has the eye, but it's been altered some way. Asuka speaks like she isn't a Lilim anymore, so perhaps the combination of the Angel infection and the low plug depth has transformed her into some kind of hybrid being? Given her a taste of the Fruit of Life?

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:32 am

Hasn't this topic been beaten to death already? Along with every other thing about 3.33/Q?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:46 am

Shinji's fate having been beaten to death, perhaps a period at looking at a different unresolved issue would be a pleasant change!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:57 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Hasn't this topic been beaten to death already? Along with every other thing about 3.33/Q?

Just about.

Soon enough however we won't need to speculate on Shinji's fate, etc... because we'll actually have the final movie.

Anyways Asuka's eyepatch is going to open, and it's just going to be scars from Bardiel. Actually
SSD wrote:Just makes me wonder if underneath the eyepatch, it's something of a symbiotic relationship? Or maybe the physical/psychological scars still remain, since it was defeated during the 9th Angel mess
I really like this, and knowing Anno this would make a lot more sense then Asuka being the 11th angel or something like that. Maybe it's directly connected to Shinji because he is the one who caused it, then that would be the reason why it glows when she gets angry. Specifically when Asuka gets angry at Shinji. [/quote]
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:49 am

Yeah, it's a good way to look at things for sure!

Ray: If there's a topic/discussion you dislike, just don't post a reply. :wink:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:00 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Just makes me wonder if underneath the eyepatch, it's something of a symbiotic relationship? Or maybe the physical/psychological scars still remain, since it was defeated during the 9th Angel mess--and Ritsuko said how any traces of contamination were removed?

This makes sense to me, and it would certainly explain her animosity toward Shinji! I'd be pissed too if I went out of my way to accommodate the guy's dinner date and wound up getting permanently disfigured for my trouble.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Nekoleon15
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Nekoleon15 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:28 pm

Not surprising, and yet I had a feeling that whole Bariel thing would come into play, just like it did with Toji in the original. And as I figured, once the Dummy Plug System was in effect, it was to that point that Shinji was unable to do anything with what happened, his hesitation caused Gendo to get them to turn that thing on. Despite where that animosity would be because of that, it's not like Shinji wanted her to hurt her. And yet the damage is done already. I really don't know whether or not there was another way for Shinji other than possibly killing her, assuming all options weren't out the window to put Bariel out of commission, and only keeping Asuka without much trouble.

Akko
Adam

Re: Asuka's Left Eye in 3.0

•      
  •      

Postby Akko » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:59 pm

Evangelion is like a black hole. Just as you thought you got away, it sucks you right back in.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:04 pm

^ Perhaps afflicted by an Angel, but not an actually an Angel.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:10 am

Can we be sure? In Rebuild, for each of the pilots in turn, Ritsuko has warned that exceeding a safe plug depth risks them ceasing to be human or losing their humanity - whatever that means...

Thanks to Sachi (on Discord) for providing these quotes:
In reference to Asuka:
>Pull it back now! At this rate, the pilot will cease to be a human!

In reference to Mari:
>Plug depth is likely in the negative range.
>To think she's even willing to plunge into the contamination zone...
>We can't allow this! It's too dangerous!

And Shinji:
>Plug depth is over 180!
>He's already in danger!
>Stop this, Shinji! You won't be able to come back to humanity!

And remember, in Rebuild we have not been told that angels share their DNA with humans.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:20 am

^ I assume that it references the ego borders, seeing as Shinji was absorbed by Unit-01 and brought back after exceeding the plug depth. The loss of ego borders and dissolving into whatever rebuild will deem happens when the ego borders are lost would result in the "loss of humanity' - i.e. our individuality that makes us human.

Also, are those quotes from the sub or the dub?
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

airman4
Banned

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby airman4 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:15 pm

View Original PostCraftee wrote:So is Asuka an angel? of just contaminated?

because in this image it says Asuka is the angel's core.

Check that video as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIpsj_8TvwI

It may not be only Asuka wich is contamined !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also if there is some translators that would be great ! ^_^

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:53 pm

^ By that logic everyone who ever piloted an EVA is now an Angel, which even for this series is a little farfetch'd.

Akko
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Akko » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:10 pm

I wouldn't say they are all full angels... I think the most accurate term is "Lilin+?"

Also, to those who still don't believe that the blue light is related to something angelical,watch this
Evangelion is like a black hole. Just as you thought you got away, it sucks you right back in.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:02 pm

The angel-sealing runes on the eye-patch are well-known.

But as for any indication that Asuka herself has become or is becoming angelic, I think that the eye-patch argues strongly against that - the angelic contamination in her eye must be sufficiently localised for the eye-patch to be a viable means of control, because if it was her whole being, something more extensive would be necessary.

By the same token, if Mari and Shinji are suspected or known to be partly angelic, where are the runes which would doubtless be felt necessary to keep them in check? If Shinji is an impact trigger because of being angelic, then surely runes would be the first defence against his causing trouble (alongside keeping him away from any Eva).

Akko
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Akko » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:51 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:The angel-sealing runes on the eye-patch are well-known.

But as for any indication that Asuka herself has become or is becoming angelic, I think that the eye-patch argues strongly against that - the angelic contamination in her eye must be sufficiently localised for the eye-patch to be a viable means of control, because if it was her whole being, something more extensive would be necessary.

By the same token, if Mari and Shinji are suspected or known to be partly angelic, where are the runes which would doubtless be felt necessary to keep them in check? If Shinji is an impact trigger because of being angelic, then surely runes would be the first defence against his causing trouble (alongside keeping him away from any Eva).

We never saw what's beneath her plugsuit, but maybe saying that would be a little bit of a stretch... The most likely outcome is that it'll be revealed that Asuka has an angelic eye yet she isn't an angel herself... kinda like in Diabolik Lovers were
Yui Komori (a human) has the heart of a vampire/first blood without being a vampire/first blood herself

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:07 am

View Original PostAkko wrote:I think the most accurate term is "Lilin+?"

"LILIN+?" isn't a term. It's describing what's depicted in the series of shots that follow the caption. "+" means "and" or "along with", and the question mark indicates something that's unknown. Hence, "the following shots depict Lilin along with beings that are not Lilin but which do not have a name yet put to them". Kaworu is included in this group of shots, so even as early as the first movie the "something that's not a Lilin" element makes sense. But with the pilots in general being revealed as entities that have a rather tenuous connection to Lilinhood, the caption becomes somewhat more significant.

I'm not sure what term will ultimately be used to fill in that question mark, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they tapped "nephilim" for this. According to at least one tradition, nephilim are created from a fusion of humanity and angel -- so, pretty much what the pilots are/have become. Nephilim are sometimes depicted as giants, as well, and with the pilots' tendency to "become one" with their rather large Evas this would make the name work on another level.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”