Depression Quest

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:04 pm

Uh bags we all know the real reason it was controversial, it wasnt anything to do with the games quality either so i wouldn't include that as a factor.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:11 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:Uh bags we all know the real reason it was controversial, it wasnt anything to do with the games quality either so i wouldn't include that as a factor.

Well it was sort of to do with the quality, notably how something of such low quality could get so much positive publicity.

(The answer, of course, being blatant corruption.)
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:17 pm

Strange... That sounds pretty much how Eva get its hype :shifty:
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote: :irked: Come on dude, really? Ever think it was maybe supposed to be an educational game and you maybe missed the point? If it was really that bad why not just ignore it and let it languish in obscurity? For such a shitty game people sure do seem to be awfully invested in hating it rather than going "meh," tossing it aside, and moving on to something that's worth their time.

The reason is that it's not educational. It's inaccurate. It has a fucking trigger warning. Things that trigger undesirable emotions are real. But the idea that seeing certain things will always cause a severe ptsd flashback and thus they need a trigger warning to be protected by those strong heroes who put it before sensitive material that their weak minds cant handle? That was invented by a radical feminist magazine and has zero scientific basis. It's used by people who want to push an agenda by making them appear sensitive and caring, when they're really just patronizing people with actual PTSD issues.

The reason this game can't be ignored is the same reason Elfen Lied can't be ignored. The implications of their messages could do serious real world harm if someone believes them.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Well it was sort of to do with the quality, notably how something of such low quality could get so much positive publicity.

(The answer, of course, being blatant corruption.)

That horse is long since dead, Squig. How about we try to focus on the game and what it was aiming to do rather than indulge in conspiracy theories that will just wind up getting the thread locked?

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:The reason is that it's not educational. It's inaccurate.

A lot of people with depression tend to disagree, including me.

It has a fucking trigger warning.

I really don't care, as that has nothing to do with the game itself.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:34 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:That horse is long since dead, Squig. How about we try to focus on the game and what it was aiming to do rather than indulge in conspiracy theories that will just wind up getting the thread locked?

Really, what more is there to be said about the game other than "it was shit and would have been forgotten had its creator not used her connections to get positive reviews"? It's a shitty game. This much is known. The creator is a shitty person. This much is also known despite the cries of denial from white knights hungry for E-Pussy. This is all well known. All the game was aiming to do was make a quick buck and gain sympathy points from SJWs and neckbeards. The game and its creator are utterly irrelevant now. This thread might as well be locked, I can see no good that can come from it remaining open.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:38 pm

I am disappointed that my second paragraph was entirely annoyed.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:41 pm

Well i gotta go sleep now but im curious to see how this thread went when i see it in the graveyard tomorrow, mostly because there isn't really a discussion here, bags is defending it, everyone else points out how crap it is, that's the entire thread in a nutshell.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:49 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:It has a fucking trigger warning.

How insensitive of them, and how so last year. This is where it's at today:

Everyday Feminism wrote:However, we use the phrase “content warning” instead of “trigger warning,” as the word “trigger” relies on and evokes violent weaponry imagery.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:51 pm

Well, the game was published a couple of years ago. :lol:
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:56 pm

Just for the record, when i talked about meta-characteristics i was referring more to reader-text engagement within the shared feeling (or whatever) of knowing what deppression's like rather than the political and corruption intrigues connected to the game (although that certainly helped it's popularity as well).
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:58 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Really, what more is there to be said about the game other than "it was shit and would have been forgotten had its creator not used her connections to get positive reviews"? It's a shitty game. This much is known. The creator is a shitty person. This much is also known despite the cries of denial from white knights hungry for E-Pussy. This is all well known. All the game was aiming to do was make a quick buck and gain sympathy points from SJWs and neckbeards. The game and its creator are utterly irrelevant now. This thread might as well be locked, I can see no good that can come from it remaining open.

I was ninja'd by this, but the hostility here is unwarranted, even if i agree with the core of your post. Discussion of gamergate-related controversies are not for this thread; we're here to discuss the game itself.
/hj

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:59 pm

Squigs, tone it down a notch if you want to participate in this conversation.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:That horse is long since dead, Squig.

It isn't actually, it's just that mass media attention has moved on. Stats here. Some tapering off, yes, but it's hardly dead.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:07 pm

On that note, can we finally get rid of that word filter? It's pretty childish and extremely biased, not to mention inaccurate. We're not delicate little things that will perish at the mention of a certain movement interested in ethical standards in games journalism.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:09 pm

Maybe, but this forum known for it's many, ahhh, "particular" (histrionic) members. That matter in particular is quick to draw lots of hot-headery.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:14 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:On that note, can we finally get rid of that word filter? It's pretty childish and extremely biased, not to mention inaccurate. We're not delicate little things that will perish at the mention of a certain movement interested in ethical standards in games journalism.

Agreed 100%.
/hj

Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Depression Quest

•      
  •      

Postby Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:54 pm

It is very infuraiting,that,besides the game being crap,it was a huge wasted potiential.If this game had put pation into it it would be a great character study(like the anime this site exist)that shows the inside of a person with chronical deppresion,instead,is a crappy game that has no effort put into it.
Asuka Langley Soryu is our Lord and Saviour.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”