Is there anything that backs Asuka's Hype?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:08 pm

I was wondering... just how high is Asuka's IQ?

If she were to have a considerably above-average IQ, it explains at least some of her elitist behavior: it's not just because of the number but some high-IQ people really do find the average folk frustratingly dull, putting a strain on their ability to form interpersonal relationships.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:25 pm

Taking the "I already graduated" at face value, I took that as a given, that she'd be constantly simmering in frustration at how achingly slow normal people are -- it was one of the things that made her a very relatable character for me.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:49 pm

Same here. I know from experience how irritating even average people can feel to someone in the upper percentiles and that realization suddenly caused Asuka's personality to make a lot of sense.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:59 pm

Dropping this here, as I don't think it merits a thread of its own, a translation of the Japanese Charpedia wiki entry for Asuka.

My reaction was rather :pointlaugh:
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:16 pm

Huh...that wad...well, glowing, for a word.

....I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm all about Asula, but...did that writer watch the same anime? Even accounting for the films, that seemed generous.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:42 pm

Um . . . I . . . Um . . . :cringe:
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:57 pm

Somebody needs to warn Asuka that her good twin is wrecking her reputation. :wink:
[Redacted]

Aether
Adam

Re: Is there anything that backs Asuka's Hype?

•      
  •      

Postby Aether » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:28 pm

View Original PostLordThaeon wrote:Is she just like Vegeta in that she believes in her own hype?

Quick warning to any poor soul not yet aware: if you compare Asuka(or really any Eva character) to Vegeta on the Internet, Anon will be at your house with the neuses, or, well, at someone's house. . . .
If a king does not lead, how can he expect his subordinates to follow?

strawhatpatriot
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby strawhatpatriot » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:12 pm

"A step into terror" brings some good hype to Asuka I guess.
Congratulations!

user-02
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby user-02 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:33 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:I was wondering... just how high is Asuka's IQ?

If she were to have a considerably above-average IQ, it explains at least some of her elitist behavior: it's not just because of the number but some high-IQ people really do find the average folk frustratingly dull, putting a strain on their ability to form interpersonal relationships.

I don't think her IQ is ever established, but we can assume it's high. Probably in the 140-160 range ("extremely gifted"), and possibly higher. Regardless of what shortcuts were put in place to accelerate Asuka to college graduation at the age of 13, she couldn't have completed college-level coursework by age 13 unless she were highly gifted. (Note the difference between "by" and "at." She's said to have graduated college at 13, which implies that she was tackling her first college-level work in the vicinity of 9-10 years old!).

We should note that IQ is a measurement of pure potential. It is not a measurement of accomplishment, or of attained knowledge. It is not incongruous for a person with an extremely high IQ to underperform in the "real world," outside of an academic setting. In fact, the sweet spot for maximizing career success seems to be an IQ in the 120s to 130s. Higher than that, and you become almost too self-aware, and/or your perspectives become too sharp and too nuanced to allow you to operate smoothly in the "normal" world.

In this sense, I'd say that Asuka lives up to her hype -- but her hype, in and of itself, is a metric with insufficient predictive value. (Assuming "hype" to be IQ/potential/accolades/status earned prior to her assignment with NERV, in the fields of academia and military theory).

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:56 pm

View Original Postuser-02 wrote:I don't think her IQ is ever established, but we can assume it's high. Probably in the 140-160 range ("extremely gifted"), and possibly higher. Regardless of what shortcuts were put in place to accelerate Asuka to college graduation at the age of 13, she couldn't have completed college-level coursework by age 13 unless she were highly gifted. (Note the difference between "by" and "at." She's said to have graduated college at 13, which implies that she was tackling her first college-level work in the vicinity of 9-10 years old!).

It might have even been when she was twelve. She's thirteen until the very end of the series, and when she drops the bit with Shinji she says she graduated "last year". That could be taken to mean last term (it would be June in the States, but I don't know how the school year runs in Germany), but if she literally meant the previous year she would have been twelve at the time.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:43 pm

Not really. She may meet all the mental and physical qualifications as advertised, but she comes with loads of emotional baggage that prevent her from being truly effective.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:54 pm

^

In a sense: "A LOT of bark, TOO much bite."

In fact, the same could be said about Shinji, Rei, hell, EVERYONE in the cast. They ALL have baggage of some kind that prevents them from being effective people, whether in battle, or real life. :um:
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

LukeMM95
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby LukeMM95 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:45 pm

I think Asuka could do a lot of damage (especially against some of the earlier Angels), it's just that we never got to see it until the fight with the MP Evas.

Asuka's main problem seems to be that she's too aggressive. She always wants to just rush at the enemy without much of a battle plan. She was the one who came up with the plan to take down Matarael and I think if she did that more often, she'd be more effective in battle. Asuka always wanted to be the hero/heroine when really she should have just tried to be a good teammate. We saw how effective she and Shinji were against Israfel but unfortunately the two never worked together like that again. Her pride is her downfall.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:28 pm

The topic became very much no longer about Asuka.

Thus it was sliced in twain, without hesitation.

Reference: "And if ye fall to the Beast, I shall cut thee in twain, without hesitation!" - Cosmas, Vampire: the Masquerade - Redemption, recalled from memory because even a Google search will not provide me the exact quote, so utterly obscure is this game. Sadface.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”