The Elder Scrolls Saga Thread

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:18 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:It was just too dark for my liking, straining my eyes FFS.

Really, I never had any problems when using a torch. I might check out the Relighting mod, though, if it covers the DLC as well.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:57 pm

For some reason Dragons aren't attacking me randomly like they usually do. Maybe I need to complete Diplomatic Immunity or something because otherwise, I'm going to have trouble completing my favorite shouts: Fire Breath, Slow Time, and Storm Call.

Also, found out for the first time that the lighthouse between Dawnstar and Winterhold has a Falmer cave underneath it filled with more Charus than I've ever seen anywhere else before. Must have passed by that thing dozens of times and never noticed because I never bothered to go inside. Always neat how even on my fourth major play-through I still find stuff that I've never seen before.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:42 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Holy shit, Karstaag's ghost is fucking brutal, man.

:|

To take him down really needs a team, not just one follower, for he has what seems to be five or ten times the HP. That bastard alone took three tries before he was dead for good.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:15 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Really, I never had any problems when using a torch. I might check out the Relighting mod, though, if it covers the DLC as well.

Yeah, I would use a torch, but most times it felt like it wasn't illuminating quite enough, and my current LDB uses a fair bit of sneak so the perpetual blackness got a bit too much for me - doing the whole Darkfall Cave portion of DG was especially tough. I've only played a bit with Relighting Skyrim so far but it's quite nice from what I have seen. It tends to, obviously, just tweak light sources as opposed to adding shadows/darkness like Realistic Lighting Overhaul.

View Original PostTrajan wrote:Always neat how even on my fourth major play-through I still find stuff that I've never seen before.

I remember that place.
The story behind it is pretty sad, too.

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:To take him down really needs a team, not just one follower, for he has what seems to be five or ten times the HP. That bastard alone took three tries before he was dead for good.

No kidding. I think my saving grace was, due to the Dragon Aspect shout, the ancient Dragonborn spirit that's summoned when your health gets low. It provided enough of a distraction for me to swill some Potions of Ultimate Health then go to town with an Elemental Fury melee onslaught.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:03 am

View Original PostTrajan wrote:For some reason Dragons aren't attacking me randomly like they usually do. Maybe I need to complete Diplomatic Immunity or something because otherwise, I'm going to have trouble completing my favorite shouts: Fire Breath, Slow Time, and Storm Call.

I usually start encountering Dragons before I've even got to the Horn of Jurgen Windcaller, but like you there haven't been many recently. Maybe I'm just not fast-travelling enough, or maybe the Radiant AI is acting up.

And I'm nothing like you

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:49 am

Speaking of issues with dragons; why the fuck do I have one flying around inside of Tel Mithryn?
Neloth, you crazy bastard, you.

:lol:
Warren Peace, #643919

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:40 am

I recently discovered an Unlimited Blade Works spell mod. Will test and report back later.

EDIT:
OK, it works (and it pretty damn awesome)

SPOILER: Show

Although you're going to have to acquire it from ddwmk2002's forum post here because the normal version on the Nexus doesn't include the badass UBW chant, which you recite one verse at a time with each cast until the whole thing manifests on the final verse.

Basically the mod has three shouts: one that launches a single sword at a nearby person/creature, one that launches a bunch of swords, and one that drags you and everything in a certain radius into the Reality Marble and then throws a lot of swords at them (the last two require a lot of Magicka and you need to recite the UBW invocation, which takes a fair bit of time).

The thing is damn awesome; my only potential issue is that it lets you get your hands on some hefty equipment a bit early (yes, all the swords in the field can be taken and used), but there is an element of strategy involved that prevents it from being OP due to the long invocation casting time and Magicka cost, as well as the limited radius of the Reality Marble spell.

And I'm nothing like you

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:37 pm

Whoa: http://www.bethblog.com/2014/10/21/elder-scrolls-books-check-em-out/

:faint:

Would've preferred some new novels a la The Infernal City and Lord of Souls, and I'm not really interested in the ESO stuff, but it would be pretty cool to have a tangible copy of the in-game texts.
Warren Peace, #643919

Lorkhan
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Lorkhan » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:21 pm

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:To take him down really needs a team, not just one follower, for he has what seems to be five or ten times the HP. That bastard alone took three tries before he was dead for good.

Does Kastragg's stomp of windy-doom produce any knockback in the vanilla like it would if you got hit by a full powered unrelenting force? He does in my game, and it makes the fight almost impossible to deal with.

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Yeah, I would use a torch, but most times it felt like it wasn't illuminating quite enough, and my current LDB uses a fair bit of sneak so the perpetual blackness got a bit too much for me - doing the whole Darkfall Cave portion of DG was especially tough. I've only played a bit with Relighting Skyrim so far but it's quite nice from what I have seen. It tends to, obviously, just tweak light sources as opposed to adding shadows/darkness like Realistic Lighting Overhaul

If you're using mods that make cave and what not slightly darker, be careful if you're using any mod that enhances the Torches radius. I tried it once and if you encounter a group of guards, they're going to shine like a goddamned lighthouse and half blind you.

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Whoa: http://www.bethblog.com/2014/10/21/elder-scrolls-books-check-em-out/

:faint:

Would've preferred some new novels a la The Infernal City and Lord of Souls, and I'm not really interested in the ESO stuff, but it would be pretty cool to have a tangible copy of the in-game texts.

Yeah, noticed that myself. For what its worth, the books ES O adds aren't that bad, or at least there's no noticable difference between them and the other books as far as quality goes. I might consider getting it if the price is decent.
"Oh Aka, for our shared madness I do this! I watch you watching me watching you back!"

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:36 pm

Karstaag's windy-stomp most definitely has a full-blown knockback effect in the vanilla game. I walked all up in there; "I AM YSMIR, DRAGON OF THE NORTH", and 'Staag was just like "NOPE." For the first few attempts the fight didn't even last 30 seconds at most.

:lol:
Warren Peace, #643919

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:48 pm

I had zero trouble with him. Just a big thing to hit a few times and then I moved on.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:11 am

Think I may have just found the perfect armour lore-wise for Arteme; the Lord's Mail. Going to install it and try it out - and even though it's heavy armour, if it looks good on her, I'll totally rock it, especially with that Morrowind legacy texture.

Update: Hmm - looks alright, probably just need to find the right gauntlets and boots to go with it. Elsewise I'll just stick with the ranger set I currently have going.

SPOILER: Show
Warren Peace, #643919

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:53 am

Did uploaded several of my mods with the new NPC/PC unequip/strip script so that anyone taking a bath in the tubs will autostrip.

The bigger mods will take time, though.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:20 pm

^Baths? Shouldn't they bathe in the lakes and rivers?

Although that would make catching salmon a lot more difficult....

I think I heard about some sort of mod for that, but it was apparently too terrible for me to want to investigate so I'm not entirely sure what it did.

And I'm nothing like you

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:58 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:^Baths? Shouldn't they bathe in the lakes and rivers?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/users/4756051/?tb=mods&pUp=1

The first mod I made for Hearthfire (followed by two more) was borne out of the disappointment that my character had to go down a long way from Lakeview to Iinalta just for a swim and even then she'll have to brace the possibility of being attacked by enemies or predators, which is why I built the pools.

Also, there are those who use immersion-enhancement mods where they have to take a bath regularly.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:59 am

^Meh, I prefer to just think that my LDB bathes in the blood of his enemies rather than fussing about matters such as personal hygiene.

I do find it odd that you can go through the whole game without eating or drinking, though, so I usually have my character sit down and chug some ale and eat some meat between quests.

And I'm nothing like you

Lorkhan
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Lorkhan » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:29 pm

Skyrim isn't entirely compatible (Ignoring things like Frostfall and Ineed for a moment) with something analogous with Fallout NV's Hardcore mode, and it isn't even needed in that game. Maybe if Skyrim had a more fleshed out character system it'd work better, but I tend to roleplay and have enough food and drink on me to normally last me throughout a trip.

Its not like its that hard gathering or hunting for supplies either. Even more so than it is in Fallout NV, and its not what I would call difficult there either.
"Oh Aka, for our shared madness I do this! I watch you watching me watching you back!"

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:57 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:^Meh, I prefer to just think that my LDB bathes in the blood of his enemies rather than fussing about matters such as personal hygiene.

I do find it odd that you can go through the whole game without eating or drinking, though, so I usually have my character sit down and chug some ale and eat some meat between quests.

In GTA you do have to eat, an experience that's been supplied by mods such as iNeed, but usage depends on what the player needs: playing for role-play, immersion, lots of action, or trying to break records?

I like to have the pools for the sake of immersion, just once in while have a break of R&R between Sithis hitlist contracts.

Just something I quote from a well-known screenarcher: "In a single player moddable game lore is whatever you make it to be."

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:05 pm

http://www.reddit.com/r/teslore/comments/2kbajo/compilation_of_mk_posts_for_the_span_of_last_7/

:|

Grab your spears and amulets of Talos, brothers and sisters.
The season is unending.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From that same compilation:

Wow, that's really depressing to hear. I wonder if there's a reason why they went with the homogenised Imperial aesthetic, or if Beth were just too lazy and didn't want to spend time and money developing unique assets, dialogue and content.
Warren Peace, #643919

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:09 am

Finally revived one of my old 500+ hour saves thanks to a headtracking fix, and later went to hunt down Miraak -- except instead of getting off the dragon, I decided to have no talk but ride one of his minions and dish some damage, and then kill him to end the conversation. :lol:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/Images/468868/?

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”