Children of the Prophecy

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Children of the Prophecy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:26 am

A while ago, someone who liked it PMed me and suggested that I open a thread dedicated to my current longterm-fanfic project "Children of the Prophecy", but I wanted to wait untill I had at least translated a somewhat presentable chunck of it, I'd feel silly to come here with just the prologue.

Anyway, the fic in question can be found here and the English translation is here.

What prompted me to do this a) I love EVA - But it was only when I began this that I trusted by skills to be enough to not fuck it up. and b) while most of the time travel fics are rather enjoyable, something that always sort of puts a dent in the fun is that from some of them, you get the feeling that they either didn't get the ending, are being butthurt about it or just thought it was a good justification for a Shinji-bashfest.
Also, Endless Eight was an inspiration - time travel can be horryfing, too. Taken from there is mainly the idea that the characters don't know they're in a time loop, but gradually figure out over time. I guess certain Elfen Lied influences are also hard to miss.
So I wanted to take the time loop idea and put in a plot twist that will get a little meta/ make one fic without those things I usually don't like, though I obviously can't yet reveal what that twist will be since I've only begun to reveal things, even in the original version...

Another motivation was to do interpretation/comment on canon events and to some extent, blend the continueities - Expect the occassional Rebuild stuff to show up, I've even got the one or other nod to Gakuen Datenroku in there, not so much Sadamato's manga because I just don't like it that much, but I do promise you a chainsaw-wielding Kaworu, because that's just too awesome not to use.

There will be characters from the video games, a few OCs (not in mayor roles, tough - mainly to bring about certain situations, as contrast figures and to fill some roles we know some unknown NERV or SEELE personel must've filled.) and some attempts to do something with that bit of CI information about Yui having been born into a family of conspirators.

As far as the pairings are concerned, I'm not gonna let a drama source like a love dodecahedron slip through my hands, so Shinji's whole harem shows up,and you'll have to read the whole thing to find out whom he'll ultimately end up with - I have my preferences which you probably know, but I also want to tell a good story true to the symbolism of the original, and value good tragedy...

So, looking forward to discussion, constructive criticism and loling at your speculation. ~<3
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:14 pm

I've been enjoying it so far. . . The Time loop theory being played for horror. That has a whole host of possibilities I'd love to see.

I hope you get around to translating the rest. I can't wait.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:30 am

I'm glad you liked it!

Also, I'd like to present you all the next chapter (I think it makes the most sense to announce the update here and not in the general thread now that this is on the first page for once)

Enjoy~~

And thanks to everyone who followed/faved lately.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:30 pm

I don't mean to be critical, but when will the story start deviating from the main plot? Up to this point, with the exception of the first chapters. It's more or less a novelization of the Rebuilds. . . that's not a bad thing, but I'm looking forward to when it will deviate from the plot and give us the "Time Loop Theory" played for horror.

I wish I could read German. The wait is killing me.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:43 pm

I've had that complaint before; There's a point, I guess.

It's mainly caused by me wanting some things to happen before others and then fabricating one wall of text after the other.

I guess that's what happens if you translate stuff that is basically already done several story arcs ahead and get useful feedback when more than minor alterations wouldn't be so practical. Still, thank you for your time and interest.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:32 am

Newest (english) chapter can be found right here.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:27 pm

THANK YOU!

SEELE
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:17 pm

As german fan i should say its worth reading.
By over 700000 words you got a very detailed ff.
Even if you not a particular shipper in one way or
another. It puts Second Impression, deconstruct Peggy
Sue and AU in a good way (later there is announced that
GoF character [Mana] would come up). Nothing feels rushed
and everything is detailed. Lots of "fanservice" is
advised ...
I dunno what to say anymore. It is a bit to close to
canon but it is presented in a whole new way.
I have to admit the OC are pretty well inserted.
But most important to know about this ff is the
quality of writing (for me in german). Its simply
amazing.
"Shinji repeatedly rises to the occasion, overcomes his own doubts and fears and puts others ahead of himself to the point of self harm. The situation overwhelms him. Victory does not define a hero. Intent does. He breaks at the end, but after inhuman, overwhelming, borderline comedic suffering." - Chuckman talking about Shinji as a hero
Final Fantasy 7 gets a remake. I hope it doesn't goes the same way NTE did.
Plus I kinda want to be done with this franchise for a while and concentrate on other things in life. - Guy Nacks

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:27 am

Ah, thanks... :rei_blush:

I kind of feel bad that I haven't found the time to update in a while.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:13 pm

Hello everyone! It's update time!

I'm glad to finally present you with the final chapter of the first act, [Flesh vs. Steel] featuring Jet Alone, Shiro Tokita, glorious Misato goodness and an unexpected surprise guest!

I hope that you guys will enjoy it. I know I've been announcing this for a while, but untill just now, I couldn't quite get into the right mood to finish the last bits.

Also, a little disclaimer: The last scene is not necessarily representative of how this character and the particular relationship will be handled/presented, it's more the horror factor or doomy foreboding and the mental state of the person from whose PoV they are discribed/reacted at.

I'm not sure if I'll translate the very next chapter first, since it's conveniently shortish, but after that, I really need to get the German version updated. I feel so bad for not having done it in a while, I think I'll have to pop out the whole storyarc at once or something...

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:19 pm

On it like Zatoichi on a Yakuza.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:40 am

You based a whole chapter of your story on Girlfriend Of Steel?

Madam. . .You have my respect. I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with it. Considering I've heard a LOT of people say a lot of things about it.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:21 am

View Original PostRay wrote:You based a whole chapter of your story on Girlfriend Of Steel?

That stuff mentioned in the 'preview' refers to whole mini-arcs not just individual chapters - I have this tendency to produce walls of text, so the 'two chapters per episode' format won't hold on for much longer as more original context enters the mix. In fact, ep 9 gets four, ep 11 gets integrated into something that's gonna eat ten-ish or so, although some of it is... basically enlarging on that 'fleshing out the technocratic metropolis' thing that's already going on, a 'day in the life'-ish segment of the Bridge Bunnies and Hikari & the stooges (this is already done just needs translation) and... other stuff.

IThe GoS thing is not actually done yet, but I figured what this could add to the story is... what kind of developements would Shinji need to go through before he could sustain a serious long-term relationship? (Something similar going on with Asuka on the side, too. They both have commitment issues of some degree. That's what I'll be doing something with) Something about definite 'Yes' and definitite 'No', which he's always been pretty hesitant with. (See also a few of Asuka's complaints in EoE) So the order and pacing'll be changed to a less... absurdly fast progression.

Also, something the game sort of tried, but kept in the quality level it ultimately didn't go beyond, like a theme of 'Misato and Kaji as an unit of parents'. Rei got a few advisor-like lines, but felt mostly off/non-present (then again, her VA was kind of busy with something else) and its just assumed in the Mana ending that she woulden't tell Gendo anything at this point.
Silly simplified version:
Asuka: First, lets team up to get rid of her and then duke it out later!
Rei: ?? Interfere why?
*both walk away with a thought-bubbles that highlights their differences, an impression of "this persons interest in Shinji must be really shallow if they won't fight to keep him// fail the Salomon test*

Also, Shinji should freak out more when he hears it was all about him being an EVa pilot. Isn't that one of his hugest complexes ever? Maybe draw out the chase scene. Turns out everyone he knows can handle guns. Maybe this says something about Shinji? Like in "Sherlock" when it turns out Watson's fiance used to be a hitwoman. "Of course your gf is a spying mecha pilot, what else would she be?"
The Asuka ending... not quite possible. The "You can take me instead of mana", hm. If she convinced herself that "See, she proved herself to be lesser", you could stretch that into happening, but epic hug after he spent days searching for Mana? Would feel too 'second choice-y' to her. See EoE. But there's also this respect Mana seems to have for... the children as a team like her own, "By no means, do not argue with Asuka-san over me! You pilots gotta stick togther..." Maybe give another side to it, like, Asuka deliberately trips her up during PE class causing her to reveal that she's way more athletic than your average schoolgirl, and Asuka has enough expertise there to knows it when she sees it.
They later distract gurads together?

a bit of the child Soldier thing on mana, but... I can't do this more gloriously nutsy than Kadmon already did, and unlike him, I still need the rest of the setting, can't have it spin down the darkfic spiral just yet.
Less silly, sure, but not, like, the grimm brothers version to the Game's disney one.

On a more lighthearted note, I'm determined to turn this "Mana and Rei shopping for lipstick" artwork into reality. Don't wanna put her in too much regular clothes too fast, tho.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon May 05, 2014 11:56 pm

New chapter time!

Even if it's only a short one.

Must update original version next, and also do my assignment sheets, probably not in that order.
But don't worry, you'll get your beloved :asuka_geh: eventually...

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon May 26, 2014 1:28 pm

It seems that I couldn't resist making more of the English stuff, which, you know, people actually understand and give me follows and favorites for :mwahaha:

Perhaps fittingly, its title is [SECOND CHILD HATES YOU]

Well, technically, [Second Child is just vaguely dissapointed of you at this point], but that makes for a rubbish chapter title.

Next time, [Second Child Will Go Fishing]. (Not a good title either...)

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:41 pm

Child Soldier Mana?

Can you give me a link to that fic?

Return to “Fanfiction”