Why was Shinji strangling Asuka at the end of EoE?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Der Kommissar
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Der Kommissar » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:05 pm

How Asuka could know the reason of why he was attempting to murder her?

Apparently being part of a primordial ur-being gives you unwanted, unpleasant insight into others' and yourself. It's perfectly possible that she didn't understand the exact why, just the general why (the strangling being a gesture more of hurt than malice).

Why her eyes looked so "empty"?

LCL IS A HELLUVA DRUG!

Jest aside. Post-trauma shock. Instrumentality was a lot to take in. Shinji's got the same thousand-yard stare going on, though I tend to think his is because he's been waiting around weeks or months for people to come back, slowly losing his goddamn mind.

Andatwhichmomentandhowdidshegotherbandages?

Unelaborated-upon. One imagines she projected them onto herself when she reformed (apparently the last moments with the MP Evas left an impression on her psyche). If they're covering any real injuries? Who knows. But you wouldn't be using a bisected arm to perform a caress like that, so I'd lean towards "no." Shinji similarly appears to have envisioned himself as clothed.

Aurelian
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Aurelian » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:52 pm

The idea of timedid not came in my mind.

Shinji "reappeared" with the same clothes he wore last time he was in Eva-01. The nude Shinji could be just a mental image.

The split arm covered of bandages is still Herp-Derp.
Even intensive medical care and time cannot repair such wound.
Asuka is alone with no equipement and her bandaged arm shows sign of functionality. Derp++
(She could still perform a caress with left hand or a knee straight into Shinji's stomach to calm the shit down.)

I don't know about the others, personally if I started to strangle someone I believe it means I want his death not just hurting.

"LCL IS A HELLUVA DRUG! " (LSD also)

Venez
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Venez » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:15 pm

My personal interpretation of it was as follows, feel free to argue with me, as the meaning of most things in Evangelion are 100% subjective.

I believe it was a similar circumstance to the vision he had with the broken coffee pot, maybe just seeing if it was real, confirming the existence of another person. She caressed his face, and he seemed to loosen up. I believe due to the stress on the characters, it's really anyone's guess. I mean hell the world just ended in a sense. It's better then masturbating to her body eh? Let's not forget that hospital scene.
Truth is Subjective

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:29 pm

View Original PostAurelian wrote:The split arm covered of bandages is still Herp-Derp.
Asuka is alone with no equipement and her bandaged arm shows sign of functionality. Derp++

What is so "herp derp" about it? She's probably not supposed to be in any state of physical injury at that point. Remember, she was killed. The fact that she's alive again means she's been healed, so why not fully? If she can be alive again after getting torn to pieces, what's so herp-derp about her being uninjured to boot? The bandages seem to be symbolic more than anything else.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:52 pm

View Original PostAurelian wrote:The split arm covered of bandages is still Herp-Derp.
(She could still perform a caress with left hand or a knee straight into Shinji's stomach to calm the shit down.)

Lolwut? She turned into LCL and reformed in the shape of a human via an act of will. The bandages are symbolic, nothing more (I personally favor the notion that she has scars (for similar reasons), but in all likelihood her arm is as good as new). Only one showing derp here is you.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Venez
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Venez » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:56 pm

Personally I think you can not try to find meaning in every detail. The table cloth was red... IT SYMBOLIZES THE DEATH OF HUMANITY OMG WHAT DO!? But really, there is a point where reading between the lines goes over the top. I am not saying anyone here has gotten to that point, I'm just saying consider the ceiling. The bandages could have meant a multitude of things, anyone's guess is as good as mine. I would love to see what people come up with.
Truth is Subjective

Der Kommissar
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Der Kommissar » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:49 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:(I personally favor the notion that she has scars (for similar reasons), but in all likelihood her arm is as good as new).

I tend to suspect this is the case. Though really, after all that's happened, that's probably the last thing she needs.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:25 pm

View Original PostDer Kommissar wrote:I tend to suspect this is the case. Though really, after all that's happened, that's probably the last thing she needs.

In my personal head-canon she, after she heals up a bit, goes through one last sync experiment to essentially revitalize herself. One round of tang later she's good as new. It's a long story, one involving an unfinished MPE core and a "dummy soul", but the gist is that she develops positive applications of Eva tech and uses them to good effect.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:05 am

^ By "personal head-canon" do you mean that fic you told me about?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:28 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:^ By "personal head-canon" do you mean that fic you told me about?

The fic's derived from that, yeah.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:41 am

View Original PostVenez wrote:Personally I think you can not try to find meaning in every detail. The table cloth was red... IT SYMBOLIZES THE DEATH OF HUMANITY OMG WHAT DO!?

I've found the community here to be pretty good in this regard so far, i.e. letting anyone know if they're grasping at straws or over-analysing something to the point of being ridiculous. Different strokes for different folks though - If some people want to do that, they can...
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:09 am

Well, there's a difference between deriving personal meaning from something and trying to figure out what the creators was trying to say. But both involve looking at specific details as well as the big picture on multiple levels, including color symbolism.

Venez
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Venez » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:12 am

I realize this, I'm just saying there is a point where it becomes a little much. Again not saying anyone has done this, I've just seen it around when it's come to Evangelion.
Truth is Subjective

Aurelian
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Aurelian » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:55 am

Venez, the masturbation is armless at least XD (Basta the concerned noticed nothing and did not get abused like the girl in "Kill Bill".)

I R attempting to synthesize what I read :derp: :

Asuka in the hospital (room 303) mental state. Back to the state (same?).
Asuka last wounds inside (Head and right arm). Bandages covering them ( just in appearance?)
Shinji last clear scene with Asuka (but not real), the choke. Back to where things were left.

Time. (How much time passed?)
State of the environnement. (Reality? Dream?=> Test on Asuka? |D)
State of people. (Clothes, wounds, "revived"?, etc.)

It is not sure that Asuka died. The poor Eva-02 surely did, but for Asuka , we don't know.

Bagheera: "Only one showing derp here is you."
No...
U!

Venez
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Venez » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:03 am

It takes a bit to actually die from suffocation, he loosened up after the caress, so I assume she isn't dead. On a barren planet with no food or water I would assume you wouldn't live long past that though?
Truth is Subjective

Joe
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Joe » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:07 am

It is not sure that Asuka died. The poor Eva-02 surely did, but for Asuka , we don't know.

She died. The sync' with Eva-02 was so high that his arm was split in two, so when the Mass product eva shredded Eva-02 a few seconds later, Asuka died.

Venez
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Venez » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:41 am

View Original PostJoe wrote:She died. The sync' with Eva-02 was so high that his arm was split in two, so when the Mass product eva shredded Eva-02 a few seconds later, Asuka died.

So at the end of EoE I'm assuming she was dead as well? Or would the bandages suggest otherwise?
Truth is Subjective

Joe
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Joe » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:48 am

At the end of EoE, she reborn with her own visualisation of her body. During the battle against the MPE, she didn't accepts to lose, so in his mind she is not dead/shredded.
Bandages are symbolic and in my opinion.
But it is unclear, because it means that dead people before the instrumentality project can revive from the the LcL sea.
And it means that the death concern the body, not the soul, and those souls take place in the intrumentality project.

maybe I've written a lot of crap, but that's what I think.

Why Shinji is strangling Asuka ?
... ... I need to watch EoE again in order to make me an opinion.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:59 am

View Original PostVenez wrote:It takes a bit to actually die from suffocation, he loosened up after the caress, so I assume she isn't dead. On a barren planet with no food or water I would assume you wouldn't live long past that though?

Why would you assume there's no food or water? Far as I can tell 3I didn't do much of anything to either.

Aurelian
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Aurelian » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:09 pm

The combo of ideas you're suggesting stand up.

The rate of the sync cannot drastically change within a short lapse of time?

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”