LET'S PLAY "Neon Genesis Evangelion 2"!

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

LET'S PLAY "Neon Genesis Evangelion 2"!

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:40 pm

Long time no see, ya'll.

During my time away, I've been playing the Eva 2 game a lot. After amassing a rather large (albeit still incomplete) set of clips from the PS2 version, I've decided to take a break by trying my hand at a Let's Play. One of the few commentators on my uploads had asked for Kaworu, so I'm playing as him.

Let's Play starts here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC_wvcoIj5g
(Make sure you have annotations turned on.)

Admittedly, NGE2 is not the most stimulating game to watch someone play -- it is incredibly repetitive -- but if you've ever been curious about how this (in)famous game works, and you don't know a shred of Japanese, I explain a lot about it as I go along. Along with the usual asides.

The sections are rather long, so, if there's interest, I'll attempt to summarize the content of each one so folks can pick and choose which ones to sit through. Though, who wouldn't want to listen to every second of my sultry voice...?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:42 pm

I'm finding your let's play interesting.

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:47 pm

I’m enjoyed your let’s play. But god damn does Kaworu ever walk slow.......
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:03 pm

Oh good, I was hoping you'd post something about this. I'm finding it to be lots of fun so far.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:58 pm

Yay, you made a thread about this! I still need to catch up on the videos I watched yesterday, didn't finish them yet.... Would be nice if I could get together a PSP Let's Play (probably of Rei) but I'd need the right "setup" for it.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:26 pm

Not enough pithy snark

Drop me a line, I can help you widdat
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:56 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:Not enough pithy snark

I know that's a standard feature of American culture there days, but I figure pithy snark has its time and place. When I cursorily looked over the tvtropes page for "Let's Play", it didn't seem to be the basic building block of all successful narrations.

SSD wrote:Would be nice if I could get together a PSP Let's Play (probably of Rei) but I'd need the right "setup" for it.

I can definitely help you with that... although, for me at least, it wasn't cheap. Especially the "getting a quality capture card when you're stuck on a laptop" part.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:19 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:I know that's a standard feature of American culture there days, but I figure pithy snark has its time and place. When I cursorily looked over the tvtropes page for "Let's Play", it didn't seem to be the basic building block of all successful narrations.

Snark is greatly overrated IMO. A little bit of it here and there is fine, but most internet types overdo it and become creatures of style over substance. It's annoying.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:58 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Snark is greatly overrated IMO. A little bit of it here and there is fine, but most internet types overdo it and become creatures of style over substance. It's annoying.

I beg to differ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5XNDTFdI4M&list=SL&feature=sh_e_se

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:08 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:I beg to differ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5XNDTFdI4M&list=SL&feature=sh_e_se

Beg all you like. That's a prefect example of why it's crap.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:41 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Beg all you like. That's a prefect example of why it's crap.

...Or a perfect example of why it's amazing. It's all a point of perspective, really.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:07 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Beg all you like. That's a prefect example of why it's crap.

I couldn't last more than 30 seconds into that before my I-must-be-listening-to-retarded-people-talk meter went off the scales.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:11 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:I couldn't last more than 30 seconds into that before my I-must-be-listening-to-retarded-people-talk meter went off the scales.

Just so. I tried skipping ahead to see if they settled down and started talking about anything relevant, but they didn't.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:20 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:I couldn't last more than 30 seconds into that before my I-must-be-listening-to-retarded-people-talk meter went off the scales.

It is supposed to be funny and not even a real Let's Play
:shrug:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:06 pm

In any case, I don't find more than the occasional sarcastic quip to be particularly pleasant or natural (unless I am upset about something and letting off steam, intentionally or unconsciously). That's how it is for me. Thanks for the feedback, gatotsu, but I think I'll pass.

Any other thoughts on making these better? Any other thoughts in general?

I've been learning a lot about video editing by making them, for sure.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:16 pm

I think the syncing and editing is coming through alright. On the game itself I'm just trying to grapple with the fact that you start with Touji as a pilot, that Rei's place is the primary social hub in the game, and that Gendo's walking around aimlessly for anyone to talk to. The lax security also has me going :uhh: (seriously Misato, what the hell???). But the pacing and the commentary are good and I'm looking forward to seeing if you manage to bag Rei. :sly:

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot. What are Eva 03 and Eva 04's names in Japanese? I keep trying to figure it out, but since I've never been able to make sense of any of it (Nigoki and Zerogoki I get, but Shogoki has me confused and the others are right out) it's slow going.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:24 pm

^
Sangouki and Yongouki IIRC

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:24 pm

Sangouki and Yongouki are correct. (I have no idea why it's "Shogouki" and not "Ichigouki"; perhaps symbv can shed light on that naming convention.)

Speaking for the PS2 version only: Starting out with Toji as a pilot is peculiar to that Kaworu scenario (Angel Buster) and the Toji scenario "Toji is Back" (Toji, Futatabi). In TiB, you get to play the last episode with pilot!Toji, though it's possible to unlock another scenario where you can play a full game with him and work for the "privilege" to pilot.

Most of the other things you mention reflect limitations of the game, really. There aren't that many places for characters to go, so they'll often end up congregating in the locations that do exist, regardless of how improbable it is. Gendo is wandering around Nerv HQ much of the time because the only other place he has to be is in his office, and, surprisingly, there isn't a whole lot to do in there. Misato's computer is unprotected because the programmers made computer hacking a necessary part of gameplay, and didn't provide a less suspicious alternative than Nerv personnel offices. (Like, you know, a personal computer, at the apartment or whatever that you DON'T have access to...) If you get lucky with Kaji, he'll give you access to Dogma and you can hack into the Magi there.

So, yeah... It's a video game and it's limited and contrived. :tongue:

I will pursue Rei full-force once I free up some HD space and commence my playing session. Yes, let me see to that...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:22 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Sangouki and Yongouki are correct. (I have no idea why it's "Shogouki" and not "Ichigouki"; perhaps symbv can shed light on that naming convention.)

It can also be Ichigouki if they so wanted. The kanji 初 is not really a number, but means "the first" "the beginning" "the start". Apparently naming the first model in a series to be 初 is not uncommon in research lab in Japan.
Last edited by symbv on Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:00 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:It can also be Ichogouki if they so wanted. The kanji 初 is not really a number, but means "the first" "the beginning" "the start". Apparently naming the first model in a series to be 初 is not uncommon in research lab in Japan.

Ah, good to know. That's always confused me, so I'm glad to get it sorted out. It's an odd choice though, now that I look at it; if they're naming the things as a series why not keep the convention consistent?

Come to it, it doesn't make any sense to have a "unit 00", either. The first unit is, well, the first. If there's one that came before the first then that one's the first. That's what "first" means!

Return to “Fan Works”