'ahhh don't point it at me it might go off'

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

'ahhh don't point it at me it might go off'

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:42 pm

Has anyone noticed this before?

Episode 26, alternative universe bit - just when it cant get any funnier I find that while Gendo and Yui have their first conversation Shinji and Asuka are arguing in the background. It goes like this:

Asuka; ahhh don't point it at me it might go off

Shinji; i can't help it

ausuka oh god look at that vien

Shinji; the generals at attention

Asuka; ahhhh!

Shinji;hey its a guy thing

Asuka; is it always that small

Shinji; just get out of my way would ya

:asuka_miffed:

If the mental image of Shinji with morning wood wasnt bad enough, now it sounds like he's chasing Asuka around the room. With (at least in the dub anyway) Gendo and Yui planning to have a quickie before work.
Last edited by Jayfive on Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:43 pm

That must be the dub...
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:56 pm

Scripts or it didn't happen. This is pretty out there.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:58 pm

oh great now i have mental image of Shinji chasing Asuka around the room without pants, gahhhhh

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:01 pm

The dub had tons of fun with this entire sequence (e.g. "balogna pony"). It's worth watching for the lolz even for dub-haters. Should be easy to find in its entirety on Youtube.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:04 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:Scripts or it didn't happen. This is pretty out there.

I can do better than that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sO0enV2zvw

7.17 onwards.

As you can see from the comments I didnt spot it first, but I thought you folks would know already :)

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:08 pm

I'm pretty sure there's a Youtube video that contains only the relevant sequence.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:11 pm

Probably, but the sound is really clear on that one, hence the comment from someone mentioning that they didnt spot the dialogue until now.

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:16 pm

Great, yet another thing I'll have to listen for on the next viewing...and therefore, something I'll never unhear (yeah, I know that's not a word) again.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:17 pm

Bologna pony! Bologna pony! Bologna pony! Bologna pony!

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:34 pm

I can't make it all out but some of it's definately there now that you point it out. If you listen closely they are arguing about something in the original Japanese track as well though it isn't subbed. Hmm...
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

SaVaGe
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby SaVaGe » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:59 pm

Whaaa?

They ruined Gendo and Yui's conversation for me.
I'm SaVaGe and I am an Evaholic

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:35 pm

*the mental image is forever engraved in my mind*
@ Jayfive nice find even if it was just the dub.

this is kind of like the radio show in the background when Misato and ritsuko go bar hopping , I think they were talking about somebody's sister being a clone.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:00 pm

View Original Postbobbyfischer's ghost wrote:this is kind of like the radio show in the background
The radio and TV playing in the background provide a commentary on the events transpiring e.g.

the morning wood scene in the dub is just horseplay.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

Re: 'ahhh don't point it at me it might go off'

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:06 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:If the mental image of Shinji with morning wood wasnt bad enough, now it sounds like he's chasing Asuka around the room.

I can't speak for anyone else, but this is a mental image that has changed my life for the better.
Last edited by MugwumpHasNoLiver on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:15 pm

@Mr. Tines Thanks for Clearing That Up. the exchange is still funny though
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:42 pm

When you consider the fact that Spike and Tiffany were probably never recording dialogue at the same time, and Matt Greenfield was directing, and that this all probably had to be written out from his own creativity (if it wasn't a direct translation from the Japanese, I forget if there was any bickering in the background in the Japanese dub as well), then there's the fact that Matt married Tiffany not too long after their NGE project...

...this is just even more hilarious! I always suspected Matt and Tiffany to be playing from the other sides of the glass in the recording studio. :hahaha:

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:59 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:The morning wood scene in the dub is just horseplay.

Is it? Like I said, there's definately something being argued about in the original as well.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:18 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Is it? Like I said, there's definately something being argued about in the original as well.
It would be interesting if anyone can decipher what is being said -- but I expect it to be along the usual anime lines whenever such a similar scene arises of "Baka henta!", because we're in high-school anime cliché world here.

This is by contrast to the use of TV or radio as commentary.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:01 am

WHAT HAS BEEN HEARD CANNOT BE UNHEARD.

And here I was thinking that "get him again" flamethrower scene was pretty ridiculous.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”