How did Seele build the moon base?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
mastervampire
Adam

How did Seele build the moon base?

•      
  •      

Postby mastervampire » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:02 pm

I allways wondered how Seele build that moon base as seen in Rebuild.

Are there actually people in spacesuits working up there and what about all that machinery?

If I remember from the TV series when the lost the Lance they said it couldnt be retrieved from Luna orbit.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:11 pm

Some technological limits are clearly established to serve as plot points. Often they establish that they can't do something so that when it miraculously does happen, it's a moment of awe.

In NGE, they didn't have a way to retrieve the Lance, although I'll bet had they the time, they could have devised a retrieval process. In the new films, they have a good reason to go up to the moon, so they went out of their way to expend the time, money, and resources to build a base.

Building a moon base is not an impossibility, even by today's standards, it's just very costly and impractical. It really depends on certain factors. One of my favorite films in recent years is Moon, in which they explored Helium 3 mining on the moon. Certain corners that they cut to make it viable in the movie are the central focus of the plot.

LordEvan88
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby LordEvan88 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:14 pm

Truth be told, it does drive me a little nuts, I feel like they beefed up the technology, but having a full fledged moon base seems a little out there. But SEELE has a way of getting what it wants. I also wonder if the moon would be clear of any Anti-AT fields projected during third impact.

But I also go a little Star Wars/Clerks about it and ask "What kind of contractors did they hire to build a base on the moon and then construct a super-secret God Evangelion while some kid casually sits outside in the vacuum.

Does Seele just take them out behind the moon base and shoot them once they are finished?
"When a person cannot deceive himself the chances are against his being able to deceive other people."

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:26 am

They probably just left them up there to run the place. Not sure how secret the base itself was suppoesd to be, I'm sure there's parts of the base that are more "secret" than others. But what did they do to all the people in the original NGE that built the room Lilith was in?

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:22 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:They probably just left them up there to run the place. Not sure how secret the base itself was suppoesd to be, I'm sure there's parts of the base that are more "secret" than others. But what did they do to all the people in the original NGE that built the room Lilith was in?

For that matter (now that you've got me thinking), what do they do with all the people on the cruiser in the LCL lake that surrounds Lilith?
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. JSDF attack ships on fire during Operation Yashima. I watched particle beams glitter in the dark near the Geofront. All these moments will be lost in time. Like LCL in rain. Time to die." ~ ANT Pogo
Asuka: founder of

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:37 am

They do careful psychological screening to hire the sorts of people who are reliable workers but would not be believed by anyone if they started babbling about how they man a frigate that floats around in a subterranean pool of orange uterine fluid and watch over a giant crucified white blob.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:07 am

Cheap American labor (that country is allergic to unemployment after all) & good ol' fashioned elbow grease.

Fallingtogrey
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Fallingtogrey » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:14 pm

Hopefully.
Last edited by Fallingtogrey on Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Fear. It is something vital to us puny creatures. The instant Man stops fearing is the instant the species will reach a dead end, only to sink to pitiable lows, only to sit and wait apathetically for extinction!"

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:10 pm

View Original PostFallingtogrey wrote:Thing is, was this moon base around in 1.11?

Yes, it was. We first see the Moon giant in 1.11.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:11 pm

Quite frankly, I don't see how a moon base is much more improbable than a Geo-Front. Besides, the moon base didn't look all that impressive to me and may still be under construction for all we know.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:36 pm

How did Seele's private-space contractors build the moon base?

I figure it's relatively "simple." Charge. Launch. Repeat.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. JSDF attack ships on fire during Operation Yashima. I watched particle beams glitter in the dark near the Geofront. All these moments will be lost in time. Like LCL in rain. Time to die." ~ ANT Pogo
Asuka: founder of

zuka
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby zuka » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:24 am

This forum is awesome. I was thinking today about what the builders of Lilith's holding chamber would tell their wives at the end of a long day of strange work, and I come on the forum to find others thinking the same thing.

I would have loved to have sat in on the planning meeting for central dogma.

"Yeah, so, just a galaxy pattern on the roof spanning approximately a kilometer. Make it incredibly detailed. And if you can, get some icebergs. Oooh, ice might actually melt... Get some synthetic icebergs, anywhere between 80 to several hundred meters high, depending on what size eva we're using."
Eva is the only anime I've ever watched, so I'm sorry if I don't get your jokes.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:17 am

Are those ice? I always thought they were salt deposits or some shit.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:42 am

It's all made of paper mache held together by super glue. The reason they didn't allow Gendo to land was to hide this terrible secret.

Slightly off-topic: the Mark.06 is damn fast. It made the Moon-Earth distance in what, 20 minutes? That's somewhere on the order of 320[km/s] average. Kaworu travels with the speed of fabulous. Honestly, i wouldn't be surprised if the next film would reveal that it can somehow teleport.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:15 pm

The lunar base was probably made of segments launched into space by a magnetic accelerator ("mass driver") or transported by spacecraft. There's quite a few around.

The lunar base may have had a mass driver of its own. That would have helped accelerate the Mark.06 to Earth fast enough to reach that fabulous velocity- that is, assuming that Kaworu putting on his plugsuit was immediately before Zeruel turned up. (It's possible that there were a few hours between the two events that gave him extra speed)

Seele may have manufactured some of the concrete and other materials needed for construction on the lunar surface itself. Lunar regolith would make for far superior concrete than that found on earth.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

LordEvan88
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby LordEvan88 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:32 pm

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:It's all made of paper mache held together by super glue. The reason they didn't allow Gendo to land was to hide this terrible secret.

Moon Base!

Moon Base!

Moon Base!

Moon Base!

Moon Base!

Its only a model....
"When a person cannot deceive himself the chances are against his being able to deceive other people."

BlueOcean
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BlueOcean » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:36 pm

I'm just wondering whether the public knows about the base. It would be pretty hard to cover up, what with the fact that commercial telescopes can easily see the surface of the Earth. My brother just suggested that they might be using the AT Field of the Mark 06 to warp the light, which doesn't seem like a bad idea, but then again, that means that Kaworu must have been piloting it all the time (or maybe they got another kid to do it).

It might just be that everybody knows that the "Government" has a base on the Moon to extract minerals for post-Second Impact reconstruction efforts and take it into their stride just like people don't give a shit about the Geofront or the red oceans.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:59 pm

SEELE conspiracy governs the world

there are no bases on moon

subversive lies :emogendo:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:45 pm

View Original PostBlueOcean wrote:It might just be that everybody knows that the "Government" has a base on the Moon to extract minerals for post-Second Impact reconstruction efforts and take it into their stride

This would be the smart thing to do, rather than leaving things to chance and having to make up an awkward explanation after the fact. It's not as if anyone can see Eva-06 from Earth anyway, since it's under the canopy.

just like people don't give a shit about the Geofront or the red oceans.

People give a shit about the red oceans; there are whole organizations devoted to it.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

mastervampire
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby mastervampire » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:04 am

SPOILER: Show

Worker in a space suit?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”