Alternate episode title translations (from Gainax!)

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Alternate episode title translations (from Gainax!)

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:57 pm

I was poking through the old Gainax site ca. 2000 when I found their English-language page for their DVD releases. The interesting thing is that the page had translated episode titles, many of which I'd never seen rendered exactly as such anywhere else (i.e. Hurricane Asuka.) To be honest, I prefer this different translation for Magokoro wo Kimi ni (For You, My Heart and Soul) as it sounds the least artificial of all the ways I've seen it translated (although as a non-Japanese speaker I can't vouch for its accuracy...)

Episode 1: Angel Attack
Episode 2: Unfamilar Ceilings
Episode 3: A Phone That Doesn't Ring
Episode 4: The Rain, After You've Gone
Episode 5: The Other Side of Rei's Heart
Episode 6: Showdown: Tokyo-3
Episode 7: That Which Men Make
Episode 8: Hurricane Asuka
Episode 9: An Instant When Hearts Come Together
Episode 10: Magmadiver
Episode 11: Within the Silent Darkness
Episode 12: The Worth of a Miracle Is
Episode 13: Angel Intrusion
Episode 14: Seele, Throne of the Soul
Episode 15: Lies and Silence
Episode 16: A Sickness Unto Death, And What Came After
Episode 17: Fourth Children
Episode 18: A Choice For Life
Episode 19: A Battle For Men
Episode 20: The Shapes OF Hearts, The Shapes of People
Episode 21: The Birth of NERV
Episode 22: Humanly, If Nothing Else
Episode 23: Tears
Episode 24: The Final Harbinger
Episode 25: The End of the World
Episode 26: The Beast That Shouted Love at the Heart of the World
Episode 25': Air
Episode 26': For You, My Heart and Soul

Source: http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20000309150358/http://www.gainax.co.jp/soft/evadvd/index-e.html

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:52 pm

The 26' name seems more natural this way, but some of the others are way off. "The Shapes of Hearts, The Shapes of People", "Humanly, If Nothing Else", and "A Battle For Men" are probably not what the titles were intended to mean in Japanese :P

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:17 am

I'm in agreement. "At least, be human" is way better than "Humanly, if nothing else", and it segues with the English title "Don't be." Seems like whoever translated it didn't ask the Gainax staff about 22's title.

And "Hurricane Asuka" seems more than a little...off.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:07 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:And "Hurricane Asuka" seems more than a little...off.
Quite -- it's in the Pacific, so it should be a typhoon.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:38 am

Double-checking with our wiki and google, there's no suggestion of a hurricane, typhoon, tropical depression or any other storm in the episode title. "Asuka, Rainichi" very literally means "Asuka comes to Japan" or "Asuka arrives in Japan". Whoever translated it as "Hurricane Asuka" simultaneously read too much into it and messed up their geography.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:28 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Double-checking with our wiki and google, there's no suggestion of a hurricane, typhoon, tropical depression or any other storm in the episode title. "Asuka, Rainichi" very literally means "Asuka comes to Japan" or "Asuka arrives in Japan". Whoever translated it as "Hurricane Asuka" simultaneously read too much into it and messed up their geography.

That's most likely true, but then again it *could* be more of a American-style colloquial reference to how Asuka is so forcefully introduced in this episode (using the format of "Hurricane [insert name]" for a nickname). It would also be an analog to the official English title of "Asuka Strikes!"...

shito
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby shito » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:02 pm

Since it's Gainax... I'd say it was a reference to Hurricane Polimar

death and

cd603
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby cd603 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:10 pm

I love the title for episode 26. It just jumps off the page for me.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:00 pm

You know, I wonder why Gainax would give two alternative titles for each episode. It's more confusing when this is applied. If one person says the Japanese translated name and the other only got used to the Alternative title, they'll be like "wait, I've never heard of this episode before." What Gainax should've done? Keep only the Japanese titles. (Wait... Funimation did give their alternative titles on DBZ and a few other shows...) ...it now came to my attention that Gainax just gave two titles so that American companies would only choose the English title. Not a bad move, Gainax.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:40 pm

One title for the first half, one title for the second half.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:41 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:One title for the first half, one title for the second half.

WHAT?! Well, it makes sense now... but why didn't ADV give both titles on their DVDs? Laziness, possibly?

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:04 am

View Original Posttomrule123 wrote:WHAT?! Well, it makes sense now... but why didn't ADV give both titles on their DVDs? Laziness, possibly?

Nobody wants to see each half an episode with multiple titles, because it's pointless.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:11 pm

View Original Postcd603 wrote:I love the title for episode 26. It just jumps off the page for me.
It's 'cause Harlan Ellison came up with it.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby COACH » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:06 pm

I prefer "The Beast That Shouted I at the Heart of the World." Makes more sense in the context of the episode.
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

Born of Lilith
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Born of Lilith » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:33 am

So... the old translation is just like the newer one, but with worse English?
SWAG
ME
THE
FUCK
OUT

rhfxz1s
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby rhfxz1s » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:20 pm

Some of these are nice ("Hurricane Asuka", "For You, My Heart and Soul") and actually sound a bit better than the canon ones. Others are definitely sloppy English though, like "That Which Men Make".

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:55 pm

View Original Postrhfxz1s wrote:sloppy English though, like "That Which Men Make".
Perfectly grammatical, if perhaps a little archaic.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:49 pm

View Original PostCOACH wrote:I prefer "The Beast That Shouted I at the Heart of the World." Makes more sense in the context of the episode.

In Japanese, "ai" (katakana) acts as a homophone for both "love" and "I", but translations have to pick one or the other, and "love" wins out because of the sci-fi reference.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:16 pm

I've always liked these episode titles better just because they make more sense within the context of the episode. For instance the "Oral Stage" episode which while Freudian in nature has subject material completely unrelated to the title while "The Shapes of Hearts, the Shapes of People" refers / alludes to the whole Jungian Collective Unconscious plus Shinji is shapeless during the majority of the episode.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”