Commentary: Episode 05

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:11 pm

you're too quick! I was hoping to sneak this in before you got around to it:

also additional for 255: "The left hand is considered symbolic in Kabbalah and Jungian psychology of (amongst other things) passivity, the unconscious, the moon, and justice. It is thus perhaps no coincidence that in the licensed Eva tarot deck Shinji is depicted on the Justice card."
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:07 pm

#301: OHMYGODOHMYGOD I'm geting @#$%ing electro-
silence...

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:17 pm

SCENE 06
Cut 245 "Rei snatches it out of his hand."

I think it was not only Rei thinking about her failure about living to Gendo's expectations. True, she was fully willing to pilot the Eva 01 in Ep. 1, despite being maimed, eye-patched, bleeding and in a lot of pain.

Aditionally, I think that she was experiencing that kind of jealousy that children have when their parents have another child. Was she afraid of being emotionally sustitued by Shinji in Gendo's heart?
Shinji is after all, his son...
He should love him...
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:40 pm

Oh, I love commentaries; I'll contribute. Yet, I'm not quite sure on the results of my writing, so here's an "audition" line before I add more. If you guys like it, I'll try to add more to it...

EyeCatch: And thus, we now learn just a little bit more of who exactly Rei's character is. However, there is a catch; like Shinji, the audience still doesn't have a clear perspective on who Rei is. At this point, all that is made about her character is all based on observation, remarks of other characters, and what is already established from previous encounters, so it's fitting than we cut to commercial once that establishment grows. So, now that Rei is reinforced into the viewer's mind, questions now arises from Ritsuko's comment; for instance, is she correct? Is there more that meets the eye? Shinji has a reason to explore this possibility now, and when we return, these questions and more will be answered in a...unique way shall I say.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

K9Thefirst1
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby K9Thefirst1 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:36 am

149: There are times when watching an animated production where certain expressions pop out. This shot is one of them: The way the animator's drew Misato's face as she's merrily nomming her [s]toxic sludge[/s] food. I'm not saying that I don't like it, just that it sticks out. I like it in fact.

Another bit that sticks out is Shinji and Ritsuko's little "OH CRAP!" bolts. Considering who much of Eva steers from that sort of use of the animated medium, it's all the more notice able. ...Then again, it's absence latter on can show how far everything's gone to hell.

154: HOLY CRAP! Misato KILLED PEN-PEN! You bitch!

166: Ya know, I wonder what Misato's Reaction to finding out Rei is a clone of Shinji's mom would've been.

167: Or heaven forbid Shinji's.

168: Either way, it would've been hilarious to watch. I bet the poor boy's mind would've broke a lot earlier I'll tell you that.

Title2: Ahhhh yes. THAT scene, second in infamy after the Hospital Scene from EoE.

181: Broken door bell, door whose lock may or may not work, filthy apartmnet, a lot has been made in both discussions and in fan fiction about the state of Rei's apartment, and how much Gendo is responsible.

193: To quote Eva Abridged: "Naughty Glasses?"

201: There are two things that could be going through that boy's mind: 1) Oh crap I'm gonna lose teeth! or 2) Oh wow I'm gonna get laid!

202: ...Both of which are quickly proven wrong.

204: I don't know about you guys, but the way Shinji falls in this shot just feels... Weird. If his foot really slipped out from under him, wouldn't he've just fallen right on his but, with a nice bruis on his back where the drawer nobs are? Maybe Anno was deconstructing the typical Accedental Pervert scenario of "fall on the girl" or something.

208: ...Well. That's not tackless at all. Which I'm sure is the whole point.

214: Ya know, if it was Gendo that came in right now...
Gendo: ...Well, this brings back memories.

223: Well, while it's there: Could someone well versed in Japanese culture explain to the rest of us the reasons sociological and/or psychological behind the Japanese and their obsession with girl's panties? Seriously: I don't even-

226: This shot has many purposes: 1) Teach young girls how to put on a bra when they finally fill out. 2) Show boys how girls put out their bras [and most importantly, shows how they can take them off when the time is right]. and 3) Fanservice. Naturally.

240: "Soooooo....... Seen any good movies recently?"

243: Yeah that happens to people a lot at my school. The trick is to draw the card in slowly and making sure that it goes in straight.

244: .....And using an up-to-date card of course.

245: I say it stems once more from Rei's undersocialization: She doesn't get how the seemingly innoccuous taks of retrieving an item from someone's hand can be read.

254: Falcon SLAP!!

268: I wasn't around when episode one was discussed, but this seems like a good place to ask: Was the question as to what "Mental Contamination" reffered to meant?

284: Ah! Here she comes! My favorite of the Angels, for reasons that'll be shown later. ^_^

290: I've always found it weird that Rei exhaled a gas when she's been breathing a liquid for who knows how long.

292: Ya gotta give props to the pre-production team at GAINAX: A giant flying singing blue diamond isn't usually what one thinks of when they think "Giant Japanese Monsters." Plus it's cheap to animate to boot.

304: Here it comes!

312: LAI-MA FAI-RAN MUH LAY-ZAH!!

313: BLAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGHHH!!!!!

Galaxy News Reidio
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Galaxy News Reidio » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:46 am

Scene 03. Cut 136: Is it just me, or does this remind anyone else of HAL spying on Dave and Frank in 2001?
Even in death, I still nerd.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:01 pm

View Original PostK9Thefirst1 wrote:254: Falcon SLAP!!

312: LAI-MA FAI-RAN MUH LAY-ZAH!!

I don't think I'm familiar with either of those references. Could you explain them before I put them in the commentary? I might want to link them to an explanation.

I moved your comment for 214 to 215, with the rest of the "what if someone walked in" comments.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:07 pm

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:I don't think I'm familiar with either of those references. Could you explain them before I put them in the commentary? I might want to link them to an explanation.

The first one is 'Falcon Punch', a special move performed by Captain Falcon in the Super Smash Bros series (1). The second is a Dragon Ball Z meme with a character named Cell shouting "I'm a firin ma lazer" (2). I think the first doesn't apply to the Rei slap, but the second is alright.
Voluntary Illusion.

K9Thefirst1
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby K9Thefirst1 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:41 pm

EvangelionFan's right on the money, but I first got exposed to the meme via the Lazer Collection, you can find shout outs and parodies of it all over youtube. Like this one.

And in response to NemZ in the commentary:

161: In Rebuild at least, there's a scene where Gendo mentions to Fuyutsuki that he plans to get Shinji "closer to Rei," followed by the comparative "Ritsuko Cons Shinji into Getting Rei her card" scene that leads into the scene coming up.

Obviously the Rebuild films and Eva are different universes (we think), but if we can be allowed to assume that the Gendo/Kozo scene also happened, albeit in a different form than in Rebuild (much like the Ritsuko Gets Card to Shinji scenes), then this scene here looks a lot more suspect. Also, Original!Ritsuko is a much better actress than her Rebuild!self, if we make for those allowences.

*in response to thewayneiac* Title2: No. The scene in End of Eva where Shinji wanks to Asuka's comatose body in the hospital bed. That part of the movie is reffered to as 25' right?

*somewhere in the Rei's emotional/emotionless debate* It's not that she has no emotions, just that she lacks the knowledge and ability to express those emotions in a coherant manner. She may show instictive reflex expressions, but as we see in the next episode she has to be told to smile when she wants to let people know that she is fine.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:17 pm

View Original PostK9Thefirst1 wrote:Obviously the Rebuild films and Eva are different universes (we think), but if we can be allowed to assume that the Gendo/Kozo scene also happened

I'm not sure we can. Gendou trying to push Rei and Shinji together is literally the main plot of Rebuild, that's Gendou's plan to awaken Unit 01. In NGE, Gendou really doesn't plan on awakening Unit 01 at all - rather, he plans to awaken Lilith in order to do some poorly-defined deed involving his soul and Unit 01. Unlike in Rebuild, the only reason NGE's Gendou called Shinji to Nerv was because he needed him as a pilot. Given how possessive Gendou can be of Rei, I'd say he didn't have anything to do with Shinji's visit.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:26 am

View Original PostK9Thefirst1 wrote:*in response to thewayneiac* Title2: No. The scene in End of Eva where Shinji wanks to Asuka's comatose body in the hospital bed. That part of the movie is reffered to as 25' right?

Yes, I understood the reference to the hospital scene from 25'. I was wondering what exactly was the other scene you were talking about, the second most infamous. I thought perhaps that because your comment was directly next to the title card "Rei 1" you were somehow refering to the scene in 21 were Rei 1 gets strangled. Otherwise, I'm not sure just which scene you're talking about.

Wait, are you just refering to the upcoming grope scene? I don't think it's actually more infamous than say, Misato & Kaji's off screen sex scene, or Unit-03 getting dismembered, or Zeruel getting eaten.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

K9Thefirst1
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby K9Thefirst1 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:31 pm

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:Wait, are you just refering to the upcoming grope scene? I don't think it's actually more infamous than say, Misato & Kaji's off screen sex scene, or Unit-03 getting dismembered, or Zeruel getting eaten.

Yes I am. And in terms of Shinji and his relationships, everyone talks about the Wank, and if they aren't it's tied either with the "Fall-And-Group" deconstruction here, or that kiss with Misato in 25'.

At least, that's been my experience.

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:49 pm

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:Episode 06 should be up in a couple of months. I'm not sure if translation has even been started on Ep. 07. OMF is the one who in touch with our translators, and he is taking a little time off right now. I wouldn't expect 07 until spring at the earliest.

Ah, I see. Well, whatever the case may be I hope at least this time the wait isn't for five years.
Also, I noticed that there were translated scripts listed up to episode 10 on the wiki. Are these just partially translated scripts?
View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:For an example of the way in which Ritsuko's personality was altered, go to the scene in ep. 23 where she is speaking on the phone to her grandmother. In Japanese she sounds genuinely concerned. In English she sounds like she is blowing her off. She practically sounds like "Don't call me, I'll call you, granny." Ritsuko comes off as a lot more one dimensional in the dub.

Having just watched that scene over again in both English and Japanese four times I have to admit something: I still don't know what all the hullabaloo is about. OK, so Ritsuko comes off as slightly more callous in the English dub but then again I've heard that tone and context used so many times in my life I think of it as normal, and since I don't understand Japanese I have no idea whether she's actually more caring not especially since her tone does not sound like it changes at all from her normal speaking voice.

I've never found that I could hate any of the characters in Evangelion, and the dub only enhanced that feeling. This is mostly due to the fact that I can actually understand what they're saying and can thus connect their words to actions better – plus Tiffany Grant as Asuka, that was always the clincher for me. To clarify, I recognize that the English dub isn't as actuate as the sub, but neither it does detract from my enjoyment of the series. So when I'm studying up for a fanfic or some such thing I watch the sub, but when I'm watching through the series with the intent of just enjoying myself I watch the dub.

SPOILER: Show
216: Why certainly my good man, I'd be happy to explain my conclusion. Basically it boils down to Rei's total lack of reaction throughout the entire series to anything that could possibly considered sexual in the entire series outside of the mind screw moments when the viewer has so much symbolism flying in their face that they'd be crazy to take anything seriously – or vise versa, depending on how confusing things are. This, combined with the fact that Rei is shown not to be above natual impulsive reactions (as evidenced by reactions while in pain and her being embarrassed by Shinji's elevator comments in episode 15) leads me to believe that she simply doesn't care about matters sexual or people touching her beyond, “You're in my way, sir.”

I'll admit though that this could also just as easily be a case of projection on my part, inconsistent character development on the dev team's part, or simply Rei never having been told about “the bird and the bees.”
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:50 pm

View Original PostCody MacArthur Fett wrote:Ah, I see. Well, whatever the case may be I hope at least this time the wait isn't for five years.
Also, I noticed that there were translated scripts listed up to episode 10 on the wiki. Are these just partially translated scripts?

Yes, that's just a placeholder until our own translation is prepared. If you'll notice it's dialogue only, no cut descriptions or sound effects.
I am all there is.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

facespace
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby facespace » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:26 pm

Is episode 6 open for commenting then?

120 The ADV dub is the best, with Toji and Kensyke proclaiming "Her Naughty Bits!!!"
PEWPEWPEW

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:14 pm

facespace wrote:Is episode 6 open for commenting then?

120 The ADV dub is the best, with Toji and Kensyke proclaiming "Her Naughty Bits!!

No, Ep. 06 isn't open yet. I still need to add the music cues, and ask Reichu to track down some info from the story boards.

Making stuff up is bad translating.
I am all there is.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:01 pm

is the commentary for this episode still open? i'd love to add some thoughts.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:45 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:is the commentary for this episode still open? i'd love to add some thoughts.

Sure. fire away!
I am all there is.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:20 pm

Scene 01

004: Looking at the picture and the events happening in this scene I always new Zerogouki had a screw loose.

006: Personally, I prefer the later used blue color scheme. Aside from the similar hair color, blue is the color of the element water, which Ayanami is heavily associated with (her name meaning "twill wave", fly me to the moon ending etc). blue stands for innocence, loyalty and often represents the human emotion of sadness. Quite the fitting color for our calm demeanor girl.

To add as well, in the series orange is associated with LCL and is the complementary color to blue. Yeah, the designer in me is speaking right now.

018A: Dunno. Looks clear to me that it's a diagram for the synapse of the pilots nervous system.

022: "Uh, hangover~"

026: Me likes this. In any other show the plug would have just fallen dead to the ground but here, the animator are using rocket bursts to soften the landing. Clever!

027: "Uhh, this headaches, I really shouldn't drink so much."

057: How can the glasses suddenly break like that. WTF?

Scene 02

059: Anachronism? Zerogouki bashed his head against the wall first in episode 14.

061: Catholic symbolism? Nope, don't see it.

074: Ritsuko is pretty energetic in this scene. Shows how much she is into her job.

082: Dun, dun, dun. could it be!? Could we actually be related to the angels?

100: The way Gendo tilts his head, it looks almost like the core is whispering something in his ear.

Scene 03

112: Jump around in your super wet revealing swimsuits and then have the nerve to actually complain about guys staring. girls.

120: Calves? Really?

137: I just want to ask: u jelly?

Scene 04

143: Who would have thought how this show is going to end at this point? One thing I always enjoyed about the introductory story arc were this slice of life moments. You get the feeling how this character behave outside their duties and start relating to them, as well does it serve as a great contrast to the oh so serious tone from the later half of the series.

144: Ah, instant noodles. The food of champions! Saved my life from starving more than once.

158: "Power of adaption" huh? Is that Misato, the survivor of the Second Impact speaking here?

161: I think she just jumped at the opportunity before she forgets to tell him again.

Scene 05

174: In the ghettooooo~

190: And they say boys are messy.

194: No, I remember, I did this once before too. It's really not that odd. As someone who does not wear glasses, you just want to know how the world looks with 4 eyes.

196: Now where the hell did she came from? How could she not have heared Shinji?

204: C'mon man, it's freaking Rei standing infront of him. Naked and wet!! You would lose balance too!

210: Ah yeah, the good ol' I-accidently-slipped-and-landed-on-top-of-you incident. Don't kid yourselves guys, this will never happen in real life.

213: Looks more like the sunshine from the window.

215: It's not what it looks like. I know what you are thinking. You are thinking it looks like they are cleaning the room, but actually they are having sex!

219: And now just think about how alternate Rei would react.

Scene 06

247: Feels like the escalator to hell.

259: Rei looks really happy here :3

Scene 08

292: For someone who actually watched Urashiman before Evangelion, I instantly recognized the design. Also the reflection on Ramiel's surface of clouds passing by, speaks once again for the richness of details the show offers.

300: Aside from "sābisu", "hashin!" has to be Misato's catchphrase.

309: Shogouki looks so majestic in this shoot.

313: Looking at the Tokyo-3 map you will notice that this is one of the few bigger buildings outside the center, which is most likely not retractable.

315: Ahh, this burning passion. Nothing says "I love you" more, than a solid angel beam to the chest.

317: This is how lobsters feel when they get boiled.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:05 pm

003: He already looks a bit serious/worried here... or is it just his usual expression with them old glasses on?

032: He isn't moving a bit untill shortly before the end and even then its just a simple step backwards no 'fast/instictual movement' - Like father like (surrogate) daughther, I guess. (See episode 14)

036: Note the 'blush lines' on his cheeks - He's genuinely worried here.

040: There rocket thingies were probably meant to slow her fall down once she came close to the ground (like those on the power cable)

041: Look at Gendo here. You only see him from the distance, but its obvious that he's tucked his shoulders up/ in a tense position.

043: He hardly budges when a big, furious Mecha is punching the glass he's standing behind, but one his little girl is in danger, he panicks like that. Reminds me of how Rei doesn't show any reaction to Asuka's insults or Shinji seeing her naked, but shows's way more of a reaction once someone insults Shinji or Gendo.
They both don't think all too much about themselves, but are very protective about those they care about. I think despite his claims that he can't parent anything more complicated than a cactus (EoE), he managed to have at least some positive, or well, not entirely negative influence on Rei. If he'd only just tried raising Shinji...

044: Ouch.

047: It's randomly punching the wall here - Note that they used the headbanging from ep. 14 in the Rebuild version.

050: At first, he instinctively lets go of the hot metall - but the uberpimp isn't stopped so easily... Oh, and look at his face. Am I the only one to see a similarity with the closeup of Shinji they show in ep 2.22? (The one that replaces the ep 19-y crazy face)

052: He's really in pain here. Looking away and gritting his teeth. You don't do that for some tool.

053: Half-jealous, half amazed Ritsuko wonders why he was never that enthusiastic about their little "meetings".

055: They inserted blood on her face in Rebuild. And look at the poor girl, all thrembling and scared. Whatever happened here/was the cause of the berserk must have horryfied her.

056:You see that faint smile on his face?
@Mr Tines: He's a pragmatist. There was no other choice in ep 01. He went as far as calling Shinji so Rei wouldn't have to get into Unit 01, but someone HAD to pilot it, or else POOF end of the world.

075: As far as I got it, the heat from the LCL half-melted the glasses' plastic so it changed it's form a bit, which put some strain on the glass and caused it to break.

---

061: ... Some Echo from Rei I either within ´the current Rei or EVA 00 decided to take revenge on the old hag's daughter. Or it was some echo of Lillith that was pissed off/didn't like to be used as a puppet in someone's plan...

071: This is a sheet? I always thought it was the Angel's rotted Body appearing gray as it was mentioned to be decaying fast.

082: As a comparision: We share 98% with a shimpanzee and 99,5% with a neanderthal.

101: So Daddy isn't a COMPLETE bastard? That's how Rei came to represent 'hope' in Shinji's head/became the voice of Reason in his inner world. Gendo saved a that girl, so maybe he isn't that bad. Shinji starts hoping that they might be able to come to an understanding.

114: Shinji the juniorpimp. I guess being a mecha pilot helps. Still, it speaks for him how he's not intrested in any of the gorgeous chicks he could have at any time, but focuses his attention on the harder to get, pale, sickly looking lonely girl in the corner. A few weeks ago, he used to be all alone as well and he hasn't forgotten it.

123: I think the "flowers" comment was more about the clones. She hardly shows any animosity towards ANYONE unless they insult Shinji or Gendo. She even tries to help Asuka in ep 22. It's more that she sees no specific, logical reason to talk to them. No one told her to.

132: look at how she moves her Hands and all. She shows a lot more emotion that ppl give her credit for.

137: This is probably the first time Shinji saw either of them smiling. He's schocked that they're even capable of such expressions and even more shocked that Gendo is smiling to someone else, but not at him. He just realized that there two aren't people who never smile, but people who reserve their smiles for very few, very special people. Shinji had been wondering why someone like his father who never cared for his own son would get his hands burned to save a stranger - and now, he realizes that HE is the stranger, and Rei is 'family'.
He's watching them from afar, like there in a sphere of their own he isn't able to enter.

138: Aww.

139: That smile is reserved for quiet, troubled men with pretty blue eyes who saved Rei's life and who Rei would give her own life for.

@ Azathoth: We get to see more of their relationship in 2.22. We should do a commentary on the Rebuilds as well. My favourite scene is the one where we see Gendo next to her tube with a little Chair(implying that he kept her company for a long time), because it sums up their relationship perfectly. Yes, he uses her for experiment-y things/his plans, but he still cares about her as a person/sort-of-daughter.

168: I actually made a video with all the scenes were Shinji is teased about this. It got pretty long. Couldn't put it online/save it because I had forgotten that my fucking hard drive was full at the time...

171: This is one of our first glimpses ant creepy!Jealous!Ritsuko.
She's comparing Rei and Gendo - in fact, the two of them have a lot in common, not only their lack of expression and social skills. Many ppl overlook this. He's the only parental figure she ever had, of course he influenced her.

173: At this point, she's wishing Gendo was a little less "clumsy".

175: Several of the appartments are missing their doors/have them slightly opened. Bye, bye "She can't stay there cuz of the delinquents living there" plot bunny.

183: He's very aware of the danger for his socks, but decides to be polite.

192: She definitely inherited Yui's intelligence. The books themselves are probably Gendo's. Perhaps he asked her if she wanted to pick something from his bookcase and she grabbed the last thing she saw him reading - something work-related.

194: Sometimes, Glasses exude an irresistible desire to put them on.

199: She didn't show anything but mild surprise - untill she noticed her precious keepsake on someone elses face.

204: It might be a first sighn for their compatibility or for some instinctive trust between the two of them, but it was rather bad luck that they both had the idea of holding on to the other at the same time.

206: She holds on to them untill the very end.

210: Note that Rainbows are present in Rebuild as sighn of an angel being defeated - By beginning his connection with Rei, he sort of 'defeated' the second angel. But what's it doing in the original? Well, the rainbow is in the story of Noah, a symbol of a promise/bond between god and humanity. This is the beginning of a bond between a human and a divine being that will eventually influence the fate of humanity.

222: So much for Shinji showing no sexual attraction to Rei. At first, he was shocked and expecting punishment, but now, he's realizing that he sort of liked it/had his first contact with naked boob.

225: He's trying to look away REAL HARD but no one can whitstand Teh Rei XD. It's the 'unkempt beauty' effect - most ppl are most sexy when they're not explicitly trying to.

234: Shinji's still in the room, but who cares. I wouldn't interpret the glasses as a 'barrier' in that context - They're more like a part of him to direct her feelings at, something that got broken to save her and thus a proof that someone treated her as if she was precious. (He saved her even tough he had two dozens of clones in the basement)

245: Look of how gentle-man like Shinji handles her the card after just wordlessly looking at her all the time. He summoned up all his courage, and then THIS XD

IMHO, this cut isn't meant to show any animosity on Rei's part - It's meant to illustrate that she has no idea of the concept of gratitude, something that she will be learning later. Everything is given so her so she can function and fullfill other's goals. It is the most normal thing in the world to her, but why should she feel gratitude if everyone is just furthering their own goals by investing in her? Only after Shinji starts being nice to her without gaining anything from her is it that she uses the word "thank you" for the first time and regrets not having said it to anyone before.

247: Notice how he steps minimaly closer to her once she starts replying to him - he's feeling safer/ losing the fear that he might have pissed her off a lot or trying to decrease the distance in between them.

252: Rei has a habit of placing herself directly before ppl and looking them in the eye when she's angry. We see it again in ep 16 when she positions herself in Asuka's face.
A bit on this mannerism even survives into Rei III - she minimally tilts her head up when talking to Kaworu or when she betrays Gendo, but it isn't a full body movement anymore, only a faded afterimage.

254: "DO. NOT. INSULT. IKARI. GENDO. IN. MY. PRESENCE."

259: Many ppl tend to forget that Shinji isn't the only person Rei ever smiled for. As I said before, she shows way more emotion that she is given credit for.

268: She already looks a bit tense here. Not so much her face, but her eyes...

271: Whatever caused the last malfunction, it has something to do with dark parts of Rei's self she doesn't want to look at/accept - something that scares her. By looking at Gendo's glasses she affirms her 'connections', reaffirming herself that those are what truly form her and she doesn't have to be afraid of losing herself.

277: when you first watch the series, you think that Ritsuko is presented as Mrs. Competent/reason-oriented and are shocked when you finf out what a monster she is, but if you rewatch it, you notice all those jealous looks...

278: He looks fatherly/worried, completely ignoring Ritsuko.
His 'old' family with Yui's descendants is the 'really important thing', and once the really important things are at stake, the 'annoying' Akagis are quickly forgotten.

284: See how his glasses become opaque again - He shifts from "Daddy worried about his little girl" into "determined, pokerfaced business mode" in a matter of seconds.
Now that he needs Ritsuko, he remembers her existence and looks at her, as the script puts it "just a little bit". She's just a tool to him. As he looks at her, we still see all these lines under his eyes which he has because he's working to get his Yui back instead of sleeping.

288: This is determined business!Gendo yelling out orders. Once the orders bit is done, he looks back to the "important things" (Rei), turning his back to Ritsuko and telling his little girl that everything is over.

290:She was holding her breath/scared a bit (as I pointed out above), but thinking of Gendo gave her streght. She told Shinji she wasn't afraid cuz she had faith in Gendo. She doesn't fear him as a controlling person or anything at this point - He makes her feel safe. The two are presented as a working team here, there's something between the two of them that no one else (not even Ritsuko) can enter into - She and the rest are just there do do their job, Rei is more than a tool, but something like a daughter.
Shinji can only watch, this time through a small hole in a big wall, being even farther away than Ritsuko, as he feels the distance between him and the two has only increased with the slap. He wishes to be part of the "family" that Gendo and Rei form.

298: Rei is watching Shinji. She has no reason to do this (the test happened somewhere else) she's doing this out of personal intrest (as seen in ep 02 where she watches him as the bed she's on is wheeled past him, in stark contrast to their first encounter where she didn't look at him at all. There's also the possibily that she somewhat volunteered to inform him in ep 3 - Rebuild also inserts a cut of her pausing to look at him from the distance in it's equivalent of episiode 4).
Shinji has been puzzled by Rei and staring at her from the distance, but it's the same the other way around. Perhaps his actions in ep 01 impressed her.)

303: Ramiel was readying it's cannon before Shinji reached the surface. Whatever senses it posseses, they work different than your basic sight.

317: Do you like your Shinji medium or crispy?

---

When will be doing the one for ep 6? And will we be doing this for Death, EoE and Rebuild as well? *hopes so* The scripts are allways pretty enlighthening.

Where can I see the finished commentaries for eps 1 to 4?
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”