Evangelion 2.0 Complete Records Collection

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:02 pm

I'm happy they cut that Asuka scene... God I'm getting shivers and pains up my back from looking at it. I would've probably turned it off if they included that.

EDIT: Specifically this one. Warning, not pretty...

SPOILER: Show
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:05 pm

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:I'm happy they cut that Asuka scene... God I'm getting shivers and pains up my back from looking at it. I would've probably turned it off if they included that.

EDIT: Specifically this one. Warning, not pretty...

Jesus. How utterly unpleasant. It seems even a name change and a tangent in personality can't save you from a director who wants your hands and face to get impaled really, really badly.

Does add more than a little credence to the theory that the creepy face at the end of the plug is supposed to be Asuka herself - it would be a replacement for the unsavory content of this scene, an ugly mirror of Asuka.

While I don't doubt that this would have been a visually striking and visceral sequence - and a rather interesting parallel to the way Shinji rips his own face off corediving in Zeruel - I have to say they probably made the right call switching it out for glowy blue Angel jizz. It's annoying enough that they again passed up the opportunity to have the audience, like Shinji, ignorant of who exactly is inside Unit 03; but the more you focus on the pilot in there the more Shinji comes off like a dick in that scene for refusing to even try to save them. NGE wisely left Touji entirely black-boxed; I seem to recall he doesn't actually appear until we see him getting dragged out of the plug. Rebuild aggravates the situation by distracting us with the plight of Asuka; it doesn't help that they then go on to make ReShinji act far more dickishly than the original about the matter, but I digress. My point is, the less of the pilot's suffering we witness, the more we feel for Shinji.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:16 pm

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:I'm happy they cut that Asuka scene... God I'm getting shivers and pains up my back from looking at it. I would've probably turned it off if they included that.
How far did you make it into EoE?

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:18 pm

I know, I don't like watching that part either. But that's 10+ years ago, the animation in Rebuild would've been a lot more visually striking than that.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:29 pm

I wish they left it in, in fact I want my own pet Asuka face . Yeah whenever someone gives me hard time I'll just whip out my Asuka face which will jack their cracker and freak em out a bit. Still not as cool as the name Shikinami, but damn is it close. Id'e even be able to tell my enemys that it is time to FACE the music. This scene could have been gold, if I ever meet Anno I will Asuka him why he took it out.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Nonoriri » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:13 pm

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:I know, I don't like watching that part either. But that's 10+ years ago, the animation in Rebuild would've been a lot more visually striking than that.

What does age have to do with anything?

Hatsumi92
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Hatsumi92 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:30 pm

View Original PostNonoriri wrote:What does age have to do with anything?

Probably referring to the age of the animation, though in my opinion the animation is still amazing even now.

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:32 pm

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:How far did you make it into EoE?

To be fair,what happened in EOE is more tamer then what this scene shows.

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Nonoriri » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:33 pm

View Original PostHatsumi92 wrote:Probably referring to the age of the animation, though in my opinion the animation is still amazing even now.

Good animation is timeless, which is why age is totally irrelevant.
EoE has better animation than Rebuild anyway.

That said this is definitely more gory than the EoE stuff.

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:39 pm

I agree that good animation is timeless. I didn't say EoE was bad animation. I think that with all the technology and animation techniques we have today would make it much more graphic. But this scene is going a tad bit overkill on poor ol' Asuka.

Hatsumi92
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Hatsumi92 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:43 pm

View Original PostNonoriri wrote:Good animation is timeless, which is why age is totally irrelevant.
EoE has better animation than Rebuild anyway.

That said this is definitely more gory than the EoE stuff.

I don't exactly agree that EoE's animation is better than Rebuilds but EoE's animation is some of the best I've ever seen still.

But on the gore thing. I'm not sure if it's the gore what's shocking to me or which character it is getting brutalized.

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:45 pm

It's a combination of the gore and the fact that she's getting her whole face ripped off by giant needles. Just ponder upon that for a few moments...

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:15 pm

Scary stuff. I kind of wish it had been kept. That kind of visceral horror is what I think the Rebuild films are missing so far.

berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:38 pm

Akira has even better animation and that's downright ancient (20+ now).

Anyway, thanks for the links, it's going to take me a while to get the money since I don't have a job and every time I apply they flake out on me, but I'm hopeful.

You know the gore isn't without purpose on most occations, that might be the reason they cut it. Then again there might've been purpose for it when in development and they thought it was just too much at the end, balbanced it's cons and pros and went with what we have now.

Are there any other interesting cuts in the book
Not who you think I am.

SpearofLonginus
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby SpearofLonginus » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:58 pm

I want my dead-ish Asuka! They could've at least included it as a bonus on the DVD... :D

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:04 am

The animation in the Rebuild films are quite fantastic but they are held back a little by sticking to simple designs of the Eva cast (not that I'd want it any other way of course). 2.0 particularly ups the ante in the animation field in comparison with 1.0. 1.0 while impressive, is too damn still most of the damn for a theatrical animation.

Really what impresses me most in the animation of Rebuild is how well they're mixing hand drawn and CG elements. It's pretty much an effective summer blockbuster (which is all the Rebuild films are) in that the two different aesthetics mix to create one feel. It's the best mix of hand drawn and CG animation in my opinion.

As for Asuka Peel. Well, my gorehound self WANTS to see this! Sounds horribly wonderful! But, I'm glad it was struck because it's SO VIOLENT it would rob the rest of 2.0 of it's emotional factor. It would make the rest of the Bardiel incident pointless (prepared for a million whiners to come in and assault the scene regardless) because we'd already feel Asuka is damaged beyond repair.

Anywho, great to see some of these behind the scenes look at 2.0. Hopefully, Anno has some more of these ideas in his head ready to burst onto the screen next year in 3.0

berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:55 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Really what impresses me most in the animation of Rebuild is how well they're mixing hand drawn and CG elements.

To be honest, this is one of the reasons I had such a hard time taking a liking to Rebuild, the CG didn't feel right to me. I would've much rather have traditional animation drawn over the CG.

You know, the whole Asuka peal would make that mask she's wearing in the isolation more relavent. I always wondered why she was wearing that face guard. At first I assumed that she got her face all kinds of f#*&ed but in the preview only her eye was missing.
Not who you think I am.

Sceleris
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Sceleris » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:01 am

The face of "Asuka with the torn off identity" speaks in Kaworu's voice.
K: "It's not like you."
A: "Not like me?"
K: "Being happy doesn't fit you."
A: "My happy self is scary. // So let's go back to the usual me."

And then she takes her face back again.

It looks gory, but it doesn't seem like physical torture to me. More like a visual identity crisis kind of thing. Maybe she'll have reverted for the last movie? Or, since it kind of looks like her hands are burning or losing skin, it might be mirroring Shinji's core dive as some measure of growth meaning that she accepted her usual self. Or something.
"Stay the hell off my property!"

berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:17 am

Ah, Kaworu Nagisa, the boy that brings such joys and sorrows to Shinji is now interacting with Asuka, too. There is something about that boy that seems kind, it's hard to explain but he seems like the only character with genuine kindness. Does that make sence?

I'll tell you this, him and Shinji are the only same sex couple I have ever roothed for, and I have a gay brother (and he has a boyfriend).
Not who you think I am.

Hatsumi92
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Hatsumi92 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:09 am

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:It's a combination of the gore and the fact that she's getting her whole face ripped off by giant needles. Just ponder upon that for a few moments...

Not exactly what I mean, to me it's more about emotional attachment to the character. If it was a character I didn't like then I'd be like "ouch that isn't very pleasant." fortunately I have an attachment to pretty much all of the Evangelion cast.

If you look at the storyboard a bit more her face is colored like how Shinji's seems to be when his skin peels off when reaching for Rei inside the Angels core. So it's not all that gruesome.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”