[Manga] Shinji Ikari Raising Project

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Hello
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Hello » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:53 pm

So is this "manga" really gonna go R/S? I know this is still ongoing and being dragged out but most of the consensus seems to be R/S? Not sure how harem stuff usually works but as a A/S fan I want to know so I can decide whether to read this or not (though I can't find anything beyond volume 1 anyway wtf).

Ja Ayanami
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ja Ayanami » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:07 pm

As much as I would love for this to go Rei/Shinji I somehow can't doubt that it will. I felt the same way about angelic days and look where that got me. Sad, sad disappointment.
They may forget you if you succeed but who wants to be remembered as a failure

-Me

cojax8
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby cojax8 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:11 pm

True, but at least in angelic days it seemed to be more head to head with Asuka and Rei IIRC. I've only seen up to vol. 3 since that’s all that’s out in eng right now, but from what it looks like Rei is really starting to pull ahead in "the race for Shinji's heart". I wouldn’t mind this as much if they kept it balanced throughout. Perhaps when the others come out in eng I’ll try and find out where the balance lies and see if I want to keep reading or not.
A man should not strive to eliminate his complexes, but to get into accord with them; they are legitimately what directs his conduct in the world. -Sigmund Freud
We are never so defenseless against suffering as when we love, never so forlornly unhappy as when we have lost our love object or its love. -Sigmund Freud
If someone offered you a pill that would make you permanently happy, you would be well advised to run fast and run far. Emotion is a compass that tells us what to do, and a compass that is perpetually stuck on NORTH is worthless. - Daniel Gilbert

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:26 pm

My brother loves this manga. I guess it makes sense, teenage echi isn't creepy to a teenager, after all.

If only they could redo angelic days but with much better art.

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:19 am

Really doubt the manga is gonna go anywhere in "choosing" at the rate it's going. The whole thing is pretty much your regular harem series where the boy never really decides on who he chooses and it just gets drawn out.

Grimmjow
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Grimmjow » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:27 am

I read the first two vol. To be honest, I enjoyed it. Sure its fluffy, silly, and fanservicy but I like some of that.

The Triforce Fighter
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Triforce Fighter » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:30 pm

I just read the first 2 volumes of it and although I do agree the drastic change of Rei's character is a bit much but when push comes to shove in the situation I'm in right now I am just happy to read stuff concerning Shinji and co. I really need to check out Angelic Days as well but I got the impression thats older so I don't know how easy it will be to track down (You won't believe how hard it is to get Evangelion manga here in the UK). *edit* Turns out Amazon do stock it and I don't have to buy it from over seas. Thats always a plus.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun May 23, 2010 7:15 am

One, two, three:

DAWWW!

Eva Store Link.

Volume 10's out on May 26th in Japan (same day as 2.22). The plot of this volume deals with Rei and Asuka having a cooking-rivalry for Shinji which was from the stages of Young Ace last year. It's good to know the Japanese release schedule for tankobon and the like is usually at a decent pace.

As an aside, I wonder if Volume 11 will feature something hilarious like Gendo or Kaworu glomping Shinji on the cover since Volume 9 has Rei and Yui while Volume 10 has Asuka and Kyoko. (...Or maybe it'll have Naoko and Ritsuko, that'd be nice for the sake of something different.)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

LealahLupin3
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby LealahLupin3 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:36 pm

I always figured that they were trying to go for the really hyper Rei from the...hallucination? Whatever... from Episode 26. It kinda works for me. And to tell the truth, I'm totally reading to watch Gendo make an ass out of himself.

Asuka's many failures does get old, though. She's like Wile E. Coyote or something. All in all I'm really enjoying the manga.
Your Highness, we beseech you on this day in Philadelphia to bite me if you please.-Sam, West Wing

berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:50 pm

I never got a chance to read this in englsh, I got it all RAW, but the constant triping and falling and landing in a very naughty possition happens WAY to often on this manga for my taste, it's not deal braker but it is really irritating. The rest of the manga seems pretty funny, though, it's got it's moments.
Not who you think I am.

PsychoShinji
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby PsychoShinji » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:52 pm

My friend Carl published an essay I wrote specifically for the fan section of volume 4. He was also kind enough to include a photo of my Shinji Ikari Plugsuit cosplay from Otakon '09. I'm glad he could use that photo, because my plugsuits from 2002-2005 are definitely not accurate representations of what I'm wearing to cons these days. I started cosplaying Shinji back in 2001 for Otakon and "retired" for a bit but now I'm back lol. :D I was actually in NYC when he told me that it was out, so I ran over to Kinokuniya and bought myself a copy. Uh, anyway, enjoy (hopefully? maybe?) and happy reading! See you guys at Otakon!

PS- Here is a link to the color version of the photo he featured: [url]http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2153537/[/url] (Yeah, technically it belongs in the Evangelion fandom thread, but it's a part of the Ikari Shinji Raising Project manga for the time being).
Been a fan of "Neon Genesis Evangelion" since the 90's, back when it was fansubbed and released on VHS. I collect Shinji Ikari merchandise and have been cosplaying as him since 2001. I met Aaron Clark in 2002. Cosplay for Otakon 2010 Shinji Ikari (Plugsuit), Astro Boy (Classic), Jigen Daisuke/Goemon Ishikawa/Fujiko Mine from "Lupin III", Prussia from "Hetalia", and possibly Ash Ketchum!

Animejunkie
Lilith

Eva Manga: The Shinji Ikari Raising Project

•      
  •      

Postby Animejunkie » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:11 pm

Ok so after sifting through about 16 pages under the Manga topic I got tired of trying to find what I was looking for. I'm fairly sure that most of you Eva fans like myself have found this to be most interesting. If not thats okay too, and if you haven't picked yourself up volumes 1-4 (not sure if 5 is out yet havent have time to check) I would recommend this to any fan.

I figure I could give some kinda explanation to wut it is... Basically what it does is take the scene at the end of Episode 26 where Shinji is looking into another possibly reality, and takes that reality and makes it into its own little story line... I think that it falls more along the lines of a Harem type anime/manga from what I've read thus far however it still has all the eva personalities... cept Gendo Ikari (dont wanna spoil it but he has been totally revamped in personality)

so for my last things to say, Sorry if this had been posted elsewhere i just got tired of looking for it. Two please post any of your thoughts about this if you have read it. Third and final thing if you are fan enough to go on a forums you should Def pick this up... =D

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

This post has been approved by Killer Bee.

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:16 pm

View Original PostAnimejunkie wrote:...if you are fan enough to go on a forums you should Def pick this up... =D

I'm a fan of this manga myself. Much better than Angelic Days, in my opinion. I think volume 5 comes out next Wednesday. Anyway, yeah, it basically takes the alternate reality scene from EoTV and turns it into a harem comedy. Gendo acts hilariously OOC, and Kaworu speaks (almost) entirely in double-entendres. For fans of Asuka/Shinji and Rei/Shinji shipping, definately check it out.
Last edited by Killer Bee on Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Eva Manga: The Shinji Ikari Raising Project

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:19 pm

View Original PostAnimejunkie wrote:Ok so after sifting through about 16 pages under the Manga topic I got tired of trying to find what I was looking for.

You got the right idea, unfortunately the topic title was the Japanese one.

Animejunkie
Lilith

Re: Eva Manga: The Shinji Ikari Raising Project

•      
  •      

Postby Animejunkie » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:14 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:You got the right idea, unfortunately the topic title was the Japanese one.

lol well now i fell dumb... im not very fluent in Japanese... meaning i cant read it at all... German/English i got it covered but damnit decieving me

bananafaerie
Embryo

---

•      
  •      

Postby bananafaerie » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:09 pm

Kaworu is hilariously gay. XDD
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

jiynovelo
Embryo

Shinji Ikari Raising Project Suggestion

•      
  •      

Postby jiynovelo » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:53 pm

The manga Neon Genesis Evangelion: Shinji Ikari Project is a good one so I think they should make it to an anime.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:41 pm

Dark Horse Manga's English translation of Volume 5 is set to come out in stores this Wednesday, one of my local indie comic stores has a notice for it on its site so I'll check and see if they have it later in the week.

Looking ahead, the English translation of Volume 6 is currently set for release on September 8th, and the translation of Volume 7 has been announced for December 8th. If Dark Horse manages to meet those release dates, I'll make for four Shinji Ikari Raising Project releases this year - quite a feat. Although if you count releases within the space of a year, it might be five, since Volume 3 was apparently released 23/12/09

If the summaries of volumes six and seven on Dark Horse's site are any truth, it seems like the plot might finally be moving beyond teeter-totter teenage interactions and into the HIP/Seele hints that were thrown around (but not followed up on, grrr!) in the early volume. I'd also like to see that Kaworu Nagisa Raising Project report actually turn into something in the plot (in addition, of course, to Kaworu becoming better friends with Shinji, or even Toji and Kensuke as well!), but with the consistently entertaining repitition that was volumes 1-4 I'm not getting my hopes up.
Voluntary Illusion.

Animejunkie
Lilith

Re: Shinji Ikari Raising Project Suggestion

•      
  •      

Postby Animejunkie » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:40 am

View Original Postjiynovelo wrote:The manga Neon Genesis Evangelion: Shinji Ikari Project is a good one so I think they should make it to an anime.

I also would like to see this as an anime i think it wouldnt be to bad so long as it followed the manga and didnt add in anything new

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:15 am

I picked up Volume 5 today. I think it's the weakest volume so far because the plot fails to advance on the surprise cliffhanger of Volume 4 - from the second page it's clear that the subsquent stages will see Shinji orbit between Rei's shy advances and Asuka's (by now) bland reactions. It seems like tour author is afraid to venture beyond the before/lunch/andafter routine of Class 2A, meaning that there's very little chance for refreshment from Rei/Shinji / Asuka/Shinji shipping.
Meanwhile Kaworu appears in one panel only unacceptable! moar ambigious Kaworu is needed =3 albiet from a thankfully neutral point of view. Still, there are some good moments, mostly in the form of the other two stooges and our beloved director. The two extra stages are okay; unfortunately neither are the awaited English Translation of Valentines' Stage 00 - it's possible we might see it in volume seven or eight since Mana (who appears in stage 00) makes her official introduction in volume six.

For those who have been following the official English translations, Volume Five is true to form and is an enjoyable edition; it's a just a shame it fails to answer the cliffhanger of volume four or deliver any true character growth for Shinji.
Voluntary Illusion.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”