My Eva TV Ending Journal Or Something

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:11 pm

Ladies and gentlemen....

My hands are shaking as I type these words. I am almost afraid to see the evidence of my own mounting insanity writ bare before me. Truely, I am in shock, and since I have nothing else planned for this afternoon, I'm going to share something with you all....

But first, a prolouge.

My own journey through the land of Evangelion was a rather strange one. Let me explain.
I was first introduced to Eva by a friend of mine, who had also never seen it. He tossed me a rather badly subtitled copy of the TV series, episodes #01-#20 and the DC episodes #21'-24'. Due to a mix up with my DVD player software, I actually watched only the first three episodes on each disc before I realised there were more. I watched 1-3, 9-11 and 17-19, and by 19 I was hooked. Much scrabbling for extra episodes later, I found the rest of the series on the discs and proceeded to devour it. Soon after I obtained End Of Evangelion and after being throughally warped by it, recovered somewhat and began my manic postings on the boards.

As the observant have noted, dispite having watched the entirety of episodes #1-#24' and EoE at least 15 times over by now, I still have not yet expierienced the TV Endings!!!!

Until today...

I have finally gotten my hands on episodes #25 and #26. I still have not yet watched them fully, only the first part of episode 25!

My lord! In only ten minutes I have had more revelations forced on me than I ever thought possible. I have only reached the episode title and already I ready to explode!!!!
Here's my plan.
Taking inspiration from C_U_P's My Eva Journal Or Something thread, I'm going to post the bizzare whirlwind of impressions and ideas this episode is alredy germinating in my mind. I'll simply stop watching at times and post my thoughts here as they happen. You may, if you so choose, be party to this madness, courtesy of the insanity that now seeths in my brain!!

Let us begin...

We've got the opening declaration of "the case"(1). These are almost like psycological case studies when you think about it. Anyway...

Shinji's problem is summed up pretty neatly (2)-(3). I always knew that Shinji was torn up about the death of Kaworu but it really took this scene for me to fully appreciate how deeply it has affected him.(4)-(5) Shinji again was forced into an impossible situation(6). He had to do his duty(7) but that entailed doing something he had earlier refused to do, i.e. hurt a human being. It's obvious that his newfound status as a killer is tormenting him.(8)-(9)

The image in (9) says to me that this whole sequence is an interrogation of Shinji, by Rei, as has happened before. We drag up a couple of Shinji old faithfuls, abandonment, Gendou etc (10)-(11).

Then we get this very strange sequence in (12),(13),(14), Shinji lost in mist. My impression here is that, given that this comes after Shinji's talk with Misato on the lakeside, and the similarity of the shot in (13) to the dripping Shinji shot in (25' EoE), this may well be an image of Shinji's suicide attempt by the lake. His moment of dispair if you will. Condider that wherever his is, he has an impression of Misato being close by, or had been there just recently "Where did you go?"(14). Is this the lakeside where she left him? Perhaps this is a vision he had while he tried to drown? Perhaps also, some evidence of the conncurrency of the two endings?

Now here's a sequence I'd been waiting for. Shinji faced with the terrible facade of Eva Unit-01.(15). Again there is this bloody red motif here(16). The eva as a font of violence in Shinji's life? He's in clear terror of the thing I'd say(16). Moreover, it grasps him as he did Kaworu. I'd say that he very much resents the thing now (17), (18). Interesting that he is speaking with the Eva as his mother here (19). His calls(20) are somewhat reminisant of his challange to Gendou at the beginning of episode #19.

Funny how Shinji has made up his mind to pilot here, a difference from EoE certainly (21). Anyway here comes Asuka with stuff we pretty much know already (22), (23). And stuff that without the DC scenes, people might not have been too aware of perhaps(24).

Onto Asuka!!!

Originally posted on: 15-May-2005, 19:14 GMT

Van [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Van [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:11 pm

Cup's MSG and your Eva

Originally posted on: 15-May-2005, 19:17 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Following on....

Asuka case is quite short.(1)
Here we have the image of Unit-02 curled up underwater. The bottom of the lake? More concurrency evidence?!

Asuka case is probobly so short for two reasons. One, her problem seems fairly straighforward(3). Piloting is her life. Two, her interrogation, again by Rei (4), is unacceptable to her. There are links to the mind rape scen in 22 here. (5) Asuka won't go through a probing like that again so easily it seems, especially since it's Rei doing the probing(6). What a pity. Without the DC scenes available, I'm sure many audiences still hadn't fully grasped the dilemma of Asuka as much as they had Shinji.

Originally posted on: 15-May-2005, 19:20 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Fit to burst!!

The case of Rei is by far the most enlightning of the three(1). In ways I cannot yet articulate, this sequence has made me look on Rei and her actions in a completely different light. Rei posing a fundamental question of existence(2). Both other Rei's are present here(3)-(4).The interrogation theme from before is repeated I think, and facinatingly, it appears to be Rei who is interrogating herself!.

This image here of child Rei forever dispells any and all lingering doubts I may have had about the identity of the entity in the core of Unit-00.(5)

The Child Rei is posing demeaning questions, which Rei is answering(6). The child Rei actually seems quite malevolent here (7),(8). Given her actions towards the elder Akagi as well, I wonder if the first Rei's persona was altogether different from the others? Meaner, more vindictive?

The second Rei is also being interrogated by the child. It's appropriate that she's giving the answers here I suppose, concerning how her time in the world has shaped her. (9)-(10). She is after all, longer lived that the third. A very eloquent response to the question of the self I think.

The nature of Rei is again hinted at (11)-(12). Her real self is elsewhere. Terminal Dogma? Rei is not of this world.

We get some concrete proof of the fatalism of Rei in (13),(14),(15),(16). I had always suspected her be a little tired of existence, but these clinch it.

Now the most facinating part of Rei's interrogation. Finally! It's finally revealed what her problem with Gendou is. (17),(18). He is her cosmic jailkeeper now. He will not allow her to die, to escape her mortal torment. He controls her utterly, even her soul, and she resents it. I never could figure out before, exactly why she tried to break his glasses after being ressurected, but now I do! God this is so great!! Image

Another reason for her abandoning Gendou is given. She knows that he does not really care for her, just for what she can do(19). She knows he's using her! Her actions in EoE are so much clearer to me now!! (20) Speaks to me of long felt fears of Rei. "I'm not the favourite". She knows it's Yui he wants. Rei is expendable like the rest.

These last two shots (21) (22) seem very similar to Gendou meeting Rei in Terminal Dogma in EoE. Even more concurrency evidence?

Wow! Rei has just snapped into clearer focus for me after watching this. It was after this paticular case that I just had to press pause and rush off to let you ALL know of my mounting lunacy at the blasting my mind has recieved. I'm off now to watch even more. Wish me luck!!

*tears off*

Originally posted on: 15-May-2005, 19:46 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:11 pm

This is all good stuff, and seeing it nigh real-time too is fun. It is a bit of a shock to see one our more studious posters still in the process of completign his viewing, though.

I certainly hadn't thought of Shinji-in-the-mist as anything but metaphor.

Gendo/Rei is one of the three blatant touch points with EoE.

Originally posted on: 16-May-2005, 08:51 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:12 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Gendo/Rei is one of the three blatant touch points with EoE.

Four, if you count Shinji watching Misato and Kaji "do it'.

Originally posted on: 15-May-2005, 21:27 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:12 pm

I live to give! Image

Bit of a short section here. Instrumentality beginning.
Shinji's fading out here would certainly point his tangification as instrumentality begins(1), something I had been uncertain of. In the TV ending at least, he is not spared this fate.

Ahhh! The man himself(2), explaining what's going on no less. Something big must be going down. More concurrency evidence with the fates of Ritsuko (3) and Misato (4) from EoE revealed. Another Gendou shot as he finishes his narration. Again the blood red motif here(5). Representing a figure of hatred for Shinji perhaps? It's strange, Gendou seems to be narrating in a rather calm fashion. A definite change from his despairing helplessness in EoE.

And now Misato finally gets the truth out of Ritsuko.(6)-(7) One can forgive the audience for being a little nonplussed at this point. With the benefit of having watched EoE, we know exactly what's going on, but when this first appeared I'm sure the phrase "WTF" was being bandied about a lot. "Aren't these two chicks dead?" "Dude... I'm not sure WTF is going on anymore" Shhhhh.. Listen to Gendou.... Gendou knows...

Misato's attitude is basically mine whenever fiction presents an evolutionary acpolalypse scenario(8). How dare you think you know what's best for everyone. Third Impact for me always smacked of totalitarianistic modes of thought, rather like relgious dogma or Dr Strangelove.

My stash for fizzy drinks and biscuits renewed, I'll press onward.

Originally posted on: 15-May-2005, 21:32 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:12 pm

OMF wrote:More concurrency evidence with the fates of Ritsuko (3) and Misato (4) from EoE revealed.

It was these brief glimpses that caused my major WTF!? moment - there was Something going on in the real world while all the introspection going on. Where I was adrift big-time was thinking that it was Gendo who'd shot both of them.

OMF wrote:And now Misato finally gets the truth out of Ritsuko.(6)-(7)..."Aren't these two chicks dead?"

I took this as flashback, first time through.

Originally posted on: 15-May-2005, 22:14 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:12 pm

Good stuff here. Image

Originally posted on: 15-May-2005, 22:52 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Woah! I knew Misato has issues, but I must admit to being completely unprepared for her case(1). There are issues here that Prozac just won't fix. Why is this CASE 1, I wonder?
Anyhow, on with the show.

Once again, I think we're seeing the interrogation theme here(2), but this time it's Shinji whose doing the interrogating. I suppose, he's now prowling the wastleands of instrumentality, questing for answers, trying to find himself(3). Is he in charge of the whole thing here do you think?

As I look at it now, Shinji's whole question in (4) is quite loaded to begin with. Note this is the exact question the "sirens" asked him in episode #20. We're in for bit of a roller coaster here.
It would seem that the root of all Misato's problems is her broken childhood(5),(6),(7) and her efforts in it to please her parents. I like the sellotaped photograph symbolism for this. It reminds me a little of Shinji's sellotaped instructions from Gendou in episode #01. Was Misato always trying to face her father as well? It's clear she grew sick of trying to please him though (8).

Her comment in (9) is quite surprising. I had always assumed Misato was habitually decadent, but is she mearly willfully so? Was sex an escape from her past?

Ritsuko's posing for the question in (10) and Misato's answer in (11) strike me as a conversation that could well be reversed. But I suppose Misato's second answer wouldn't really be applicabe in Gendou(12).

Misato seems to be trying to justify herself in (1). I'll get back to this.

Oh my! What on earth could be going on here?(2)-(3) If only the train wasn't so loud. Ahh, the benefits of EoE! Still, I feel the more observant audience could put two and two together here.
Strangely, Misato's attitude here (4),(1) is completey different to her attitude in EoE. Here's she's mortified, but in EoE, she was simply frank about it. Strange.
Shinji's attitude is identical however(5). His prudish side at work again. Still Misato was his surrogate mother, but I still say his anger is over more than just that fact.

Some wise words from Kaji again(6). I wonder are they directed at Shinji as well? Misato for one, does not seem to have accepted that side of herself(7)
(8) and (9) are rather strange. Is Misato really a closet exhibitionist?

On a side note, Misato's pose in (7),(9),(10) put me in mind of Asuka's mind rape sequence in #22'. Actually, there do seem to be a lot of similarities between the two upon watching this sequence. Funny that. It makes sense, but I had felt Misato to have accepted or understood that side of herself.

Here we go with the retconned moonlit walk from episode #15.(11) There's a lot of stuff here, but most of it we've heard before. Misato again gets good advice from Kaji(12), but her reaction is both unexpected and very illuminating. She very resentful of his advice here.(13) Because he's a man it seems (14). Her problem with men seems to be that they leave her(15) to go to work as her father did(16). She feels their jobs are more important than their families perhaps? Misato clearly has abandonment issues, which is probobly why she left Kaji, and lives life so lightly. She's afraid that she will be unimportant in people's lives perhaps?

Of course this puts a completely new spin on her detonation of The Big Irony Bomb, which is dragged out from under the rug here (1)-(2). In Shinji perhaps, she had a "man" who would not leave her for his work, him being both dependant on her maternally and also working under her. He was captive to her, someone incapable of leaving her. Shinji it seems, might have fit the bill for Misato quite nicely. This is actually quite an illuminating perspective on her faux pas in episode #23, if an even more morbid one.

At least she feels remorse over the whole sorry business(3). She doesn't get off so easy though. How appropriate that Maya, the most straightlaced person in Nerv, is the first to berate her behaviour(4). I wonder has Maya felt this way for a while? Other follow of course.

Again we have revelations about Misato's facade(5) and her underlying unhappiness(6). I must admit, I'm surprised. I really didn't think Misato was such a fundamentally unhappy person. It would seem Misato shared that view(7). However, she states that it was all a facade(8), a trick she pulled on herself(9). I have to say, I'm quite taken aback. I never expected any of this at all.

Shinji seems to accept her despair as inevitable(10). He has after all, been the biggest self deluder in Tokyo-3. Instrumentality doesn't seem to have given him many reasons to stop it so far. Or has it?

Out of the torrent of comments from various characters that follows, one sticks out for me. Hyuuga comments might well have additional meaning with regard to his obvious feeling for her.(11) Was Misato beginning to warm to his advances after Kaji's death do you think? They were certainly quite honest to each other in episode #24.

It would seem that Misato, unlike Asuka, has been using sex as an end unto itself(12). Again the abuse she feels she has made of the men in her life has come back to haunt her (13). She's still denying it though (14). I wonder is she only tomenting herself here? Is it only her own lack of self worth that is fueling this tirade? Misato never struck me as quite this disturbed before?

Shinji is probobly bewildered by her responses(15). He doesn't know what to think now(16). Is she lecherous or maternal? Kind or abusive? I feel certain echoes of his "I can't understand adults" comment to Kaji in episode #18 here.

Wow. The deconstruction of Misato was quite profound. Dare I go on? What other dark disclosures await me? I'll press on, if only to justify the many megs of bandwidth I've wasted! Image

EDIT:
Well turn's out it was Asuka. Unfortunately I slipped into the next section, so I'll have to do it all tomorrow, if I get around to it. That said, I won't be watching 26 until I've disgourged all of my digestion of 25 first. Yum! Like a fine wine, I'll let it breathe for a while!

Originally posted on: 16-May-2005, 00:17 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:12 pm

OMF wrote:Shinji is probobly bewildered by her responses(15). He doesn't know what to think now(16). Is she lecherous or maternal? Kind or abusive? I feel certain echoes of his "I can't understand adults" comment to Kaji in episode #18 here.

16 is a reference to this:
"The greatest question...which I have not been able to answer, despite my thirty years in research into the feminine soul, is 'What do women want?'" -Freud

Originally posted on: 16-May-2005, 00:36 GMT

Lastie [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lastie [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:12 pm

"The greatest question...which I have not been able to answer, despite my thirty years in research into the feminine soul, is 'What do women want?'" -Freud

I always find that amusing, as if it's in any way different to what we, as a species, desire for our lives.

Originally posted on: 16-May-2005, 09:20 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Well, after a longer than planned delay, I'll continue my belated "As it happens" reporting on my first viewing of episodes 25 and 26. Rest assured, I still haven't so much as glanced at 26 yet. Onward.

Asuka is up next. The same interrogation type setting again here.(1) Like Misato, Shinji is here to find answers. And so onto another case study(2).

Shinji opens with the same "sirens" question he asked Misato(3). I was surprized however, by this sequences complete lack of sexual references, especially given Asuka's lecherous nature and the sex ridden trauma of Misato's case. It would seem that Asuka really doesn't have a problem with sex at all.

The fundamentals of Asuka's dilemma are revealed.(4) Her decision from an early age to live alone, and how it is only making her more miserable(5). Nothing we don't know from the DC scenes in #22', but considering the first time this was aired there was no DC #22', this was probably all pretty revealing stuff first time around. We get the full story of her inability to bond with her stepmother(6), due to her own willfulness to stay alone(7). This dispite the womans apparent desire to bond with her stepdaughter. The first of Asuka's many tragedies resulting from her decision?
Now here is something new! Asuka's father come across as a very callous, rough and uncaring individual in this scene.(8) Quite overbearing too(9). He seems quite nasty really. This never quite came across in the DC scenes. I guess this is where Asuka got her mean streak from.

It would seem that dispite her own unwillingness to enter into a relationship with her stepmother(10) Asuka still desperately desired it.(11) Is she simply the architect of her own unhappiness? And we get Asuka's catchphrase from #22'(12). I suppose this was really the first time that audiences ever got a glimpse of Asuka's real underlying unhappiness.

The shot here of the exploding bear(1) puts me in mind of the disembowlment of Unit-02 in EoE. Other than that I don't see any real link.

The following scene deals now with Asuka's birth mother. Her words here about the reasons for her suicide(2) would seem to further explain Asuka's own attempts in #24. Once she felt she was no longer needed, she took her own life, as her mother did. Here again is the wretched doll her mother fawned over(3), which Asuka has tired to avoid becoming all her life. The image of its destruction is accommpanied by barking dogs(4), something which I'm sure means something, I just don't know what. Any ideas?

The images of Asuka's mothers death and Asuka's dialoge(5)-(6) finally laid to rest something I had been unsure of for some time. I wasn't too sure if Kyoko has hung herself and Asuka had happenned upon her, or if Kyoko had attempted to kill Asuka as well, which I had figured from the DC scenes. Don't ask me why I figured it. In any case, this clinches the former arguement, even if the arguement existed only within my head.
It would seem that Asuka has finally grown sick of "boys"(7). In other words I suppose, her failure to use sex as an escape from her loneliness have backfired on her too often, so she's grown tired of seeking affection. Perhaps some evidence here of why she rejected Shinji so utterly in EoE.

A very unexpected comment from Asuka come up next!(8) Asuka never struck me as the kind of girl looking for someone to protect her. She always seemed the type to resent anyone having to come to her aid. Perhaps she may be referring to Shinji's failure to protect her in episode #22 more so than anything else. Or Kaji's failure to return?

Again the same question as with Misato(9). Presumably Shinji is asking it. Asuka's answer, after some slight denial, is very direct.(10) Nothing you might not have otherwise conjectured, but to hear it directly from Asuka's lips is powerful stuff. Asuka finally admitting to herself the error of her ways? Strange that she, the lonelinest of people, would have rejected complementation then. Or was it simply Shinji she rejected?

I'll do the last part of the episode now, and then.... the final curtain!

Originally posted on: 18-May-2005, 23:14 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

At last I'm through #25. Interesting section here. Instrumentality finally laid bare.

Very interesting dialouge from Shinji (1), Misato(2) and Asuka(3) here. Misato and Asuka's lines are the very words Shinji cries so desperately to Asuka in EoE. I wonder what the link is here? Are they begging Shinji to stop all this? Or start it? At any rate, what all this acid trip wierdness is is finally revealed by Misato(4). Gendou's master plan eh?
In the following sequence, Instrumentality is explained more or less completely by the figures that appear before Shinji as he sits in the chair. It's not even that cryptic when you think about it. What's really wierd here is that Shinji appears before himself(5). Are these figures real, or are they facades for something else?

Shinji revealing here that he has been abandoned(6). If the endings are concurrent, is this after Asuka's rejection of him, post gleeful throttle if you will?

At any rate, they more or less fully explain instrumentality in this scene(7), even if most by now wouldn't have a clue what's going on. Strange. I pretty much understood everything they were saying. I suppose that's becasue I knew the context more so than anything else. I'm sure those who still think Shinji is in the real world would be thoughally confused.

What is most interesting is that in this scene it is made very clear to Shinji that he is in control of Instrumentality(8). This contrasts sharply with EoE, where Shinji remained clueless as to what was going on. Or did he? Was he fully aware of the consequences of his actions all along?

All the world's a stage eh?(1) Oh wait, the entire world is now just a stage. Nice symbolism. A pity it was mostly lost at the time on puzzled viewers.

The explanations continue(1),(2),(3),(4). The whole thing really is being spelt out in black and white, unusual for this series. The stagelights in (2),(3) drawing an obvious connection to the sandbox stagelights in EoE. Alluding to the fakeness of it all perhaps?

Given what is said in (4), it is interesting that Gendou is still present here(5), a silent onlooker. Straight after the shot of Gendou we have a symmetric shot of Asuka explaining(6). My own infamous conclusions of this are well known by now Image, so I'll say no more, except that I may be using these shots in further posts. Misato's "in between" shot following Asuka's(7) might dog me though.

Ohhh!!! What's up next(8)?!! I can hardly wait!

I have to say that I am IN LOVE with this episode. It really brought so much into focus, and revealed so many unspoken truths. It's so great. It's the kind of material that anyone analysising characters would kill for. Imagine Shakespere wrote this kind of stuff for King Lear or Hamlet. Men would die for copies! It is essential, though I can see why many were, shall we say, vexed by it's somewhat unorthadox nature. Nonetheless, it all makes perfect sense to me at least, but of course, in the context of happening in and around EoE.

And now... the final chapter. I'm fit to burst! This is all too much!Image
Wish me luck!!

Originally posted on: 18-May-2005, 23:58 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:12 pm

At least watching EoTV last, you are spared that moment of intense frustration I felt after being dealt #25 after the intensity of #24. Without EoE, I would not be here today. Nor would I have ever appreciated EoTV, at all.

OMF wrote:Due to a mix up with my DVD player software, I actually watched only the first three episodes on each disc before I realised there were more.

Ano... You didn't catch onto the fact that there were immense gaps in the story?

My lord! In only ten minutes I have had more revelations forced on me than I ever thought possible. I have only reached the episode title and already I ready to explode!!!!

I can hear your maniacal cackling all the way from here.

I'll simply stop watching at times and post my thoughts here as they happen.

Seems like an awful lot of trouble to have to go and take a plethora of screenshot and process them instead of just sitting and watching the bloody thing in one go. Ah, well, already knew you were a nutter. Image

Speaking of the screenshots -- the large clusters are quite annoying. Constant scrolling up and down is required to look at each screenie your comments refer to. Any given screenshot should be visible within the same 'screen space' as the comment that refers to it.

Then we get this very strange sequence in (12),(13),(14), Shinji lost in mist. My impression here is that, given that this comes after Shinji's talk with Misato on the lakeside, and the similarity of the shot in (13) to the dripping Shinji shot in (25' EoE), this may well be an image of Shinji's suicide attempt by the lake.

Interesting. I haven't considered comparing the two. I don't think the misty scenery bears any sort of enormous resemblance to the shore of the enlarged Ashinoko, but there is at least something...

Perhaps this is a vision he had while he tried to drown? Perhaps also, some evidence of the conncurrency of the two endings?

Speaking of which, no one at Acen seemed to buy my assertation that Shinji had attempted suicide at the beginning of EoE. Not to mention at least two of my fellow panelists there are stalwart opposers of the two endings being the same in any way, shape, or form.

He's in clear terror of the thing I'd say(16).

"Thing"? That's someone's mother you're talking about.

Moreover, it grasps him as he did Kaworu.

After supressing myself for so long, I'd like to note that every time an Eva is referred to as "it" by someone who should know better, it is like a needle prick to the soul. Add them up, and we're talking slow, terrible torture. At this rate, you're going to end up on Santa Barb's Naughty List and she'll have to come after you with her Crop of Justice. Image

Interesting that he is speaking with the Eva as his mother here (19).

He calls her "Kaasan" in #25', as well. Tis but the truth. Just because your mom has taken up residence in the body of a tall, sexy deity doesn't make her any less your mother.

Funny how Shinji has made up his mind to pilot here, a difference from EoE certainly (21).

Not like he does any actual pilotting in EoE.

Originally posted on: 19-May-2005, 06:01 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:12 pm

OMF wrote:exploding bear

I believe it's a monkey...

Originally posted on: 19-May-2005, 09:28 GMT

MagicianCamille [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MagicianCamille [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:13 pm

Well OMF I decided to give you a chance and read this entire thread, it was quite interesting, you refreshed my memory on episode 25, it was better than I remember it being. Image

Originally posted on: 19-May-2005, 10:32 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:13 pm

OMF wrote:It would seem that Asuka has finally grown sick of "boys"(7). In other words I suppose, her failure to use sex as an escape from her loneliness have backfired on her too often, so she's grown tired of seeking affection. Perhaps some evidence here of why she rejected Shinji so utterly in EoE.

I would say rather, that like most of the plot threads in play at the end of #24, the conflict and antagonism (on her part, anyway) between Shinji and Asuka is simply dropped and left unresolved in the TV ending. On the other hand, there are plot elements that are hinted at here, that don't really jibe well with the the way things eventuate in EoE; for example, when Shinji complains that his father and the others are forcing him to pilot Eva yet again... In EoE, Gondo seemingly is entirely indifferent to Shinji's fate, having his own agenda to pursue. If was up to him, Shinji would have got his head blown off; it is Misato, and Misato alone, that saves Shinji's life and gets him to Unit-01 (and even then, it takes some spontaneous action on Yui's part to get him on board). I always thought Gendo's callous disregard for Shinji in EoE make his words of remorse about Shinji to Yui in #26' ring somewhat hollow, myself...

Originally posted on: 19-May-2005, 11:06 GMT

Lastie [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lastie [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:13 pm

I always thought Gendo's callous disregard for Shinji in EoE make his words of remorse about Shinji to Yui in #26' ring somewhat hollow, myself...

Certainly a rather large explosion of cognizance for one man to have regarding his past mistakes.

Originally posted on: 19-May-2005, 11:14 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:13 pm

Reichu wrote:Ano... You didn't catch onto the fact that there were immense gaps in the story?

It did seem a little patchy. Asuka appearing out of nowhere for example. However, it did all make sense to me in a wierd way. Considering the last episode I watched was #19, I was pretty much hooked anyway.

Reichu wrote:Seems like an awful lot of trouble to have to go and take a plethora of screenshot and process them instead of just sitting and watching the bloody thing in one go. Ah, well, already knew you were a nutter. Image

Imageine the trouble of watching the thing in one go and THEN processing all the screens. This way, I can have my seizures in bitesized portions
Reichu wrote:Speaking of the screenshots -- the large clusters are quite annoying. Constant scrolling up and down is required to look at each screenie your comments refer to. Any given screenshot should be visible within the same 'screen space' as the comment that refers to it.

Hopefully, your referring mainly to the 22+ screenshot fiascos I did earlier. In my defense, I was rather manic at the time. I've been splitting them up into eight screen portions. Perhaps I should try 6 or 4 screen from now on.

Reichu wrote:Interesting. I haven't considered comparing the two. I don't think the misty scenery bears any sort of enormous resemblance to the shore of the enlarged Ashinoko, but there is at least something...

The clincher for me is when he turns around to find Misato "gone". It leads me to believe he's got the impression he's by the lake. An asphixiation induced hallucination?

Reichu wrote:Speaking of which, no one at Acen seemed to buy my assertation that Shinji had attempted suicide at the beginning of EoE. Not to mention at least two of my fellow panelists there are stalwart opposers of the two endings being the same in any way, shape, or form.

Philistines!
Reichu wrote:After supressing myself for so long, I'd like to note that every time an Eva is referred to as "it" by someone who should know better, it is like a needle prick to the soul. Add them up, and we're talking slow, terrible torture. At this rate, you're going to end up on Santa Barb's Naughty List and she'll have to come after you with her Crop of Justice. Image

Well, it's just that I always viewed the Evas as something a little apart from the person residing in their cores. When I speak of Eva as "it", I really mean the form or object that is the Eva, not the person in the core. The symbol of the Eva really, as something different from the person residing within. Not sure how that came out. Basically my "it", is the giant artificial humanoid covered in armour minus the soul containing core, if that makes any sense.

Originally posted on: 19-May-2005, 12:19 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”