Riders of the Robeasts

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

TB3
Adam

Riders of the Robeasts

•      
  •      

Postby TB3 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:35 pm

So, I'm guess I'm not alone in that, like most classic Eva fans, I first discovered the series through 'Riders of the Robeasts', 4DicVana's localized adaptation, which was syndicated throughout the US between...ah, I forget the dates, but it was sometime around the late 90s. While never as massive a success such as other localized shows such as Sailor Moon, Voltron or G-Force, RoR was still a major gateway anime for many and eventually led to increased demand for more licensed shows, such as Pokemon, Digimon and Ultimate Muscle.

Much to my delight, a Youtube user named LordQuandros, noted for his Metal Gear Abridged series, has begun to upload RoR to his channel, and Episode One can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t4FBAEI854&list=UUdTaJgJo5Ttrgs-aPfhaPag&index=1

Now, I know that yes, RoR is a very loose adaptation of Evangelion, streamlining many plot elements and retconning others out of existence (indeed, many have since stricken the entire show's existence from their memory), but can we leave the whole Serena/Usagi arguments to one side for now and just enjoy the show for what it was: a serious attempt to bring Eva to an international audience at a time when the western world was not ready for more esoteric and serious animation - I mean, if it weren't for this, we would probably have had to put up with shoddy vid-rips and a mediocre dub from some unknown studio in Texas. No thank you sir! At least RoR plugged a niche until we were able to get a decent hard-subtitled version of Evangelion released on DVD in these past few years, and for that I think we should thank it.

Also, I must admit, after years of putting up with the whiny, bitchy Shinji Ikari, it's a breath of fresh air to put on an episode of Riders and relax in the company of his counterpart, Shane Icarus, an optimistic young man with a brilliant and supportive father, Gordon Icarus, and a loving sister, Aya.

Trust me on this guys, and get ready to experience the 'other' Evangelion, the one so many of us once loved, but can now no-longer admit to having done so.

And since I have to make at least one fanboy comment per post...*ahem* - Shane/Ashley! One True Pairing!

Enjoy.

And yes, all of the above was a massive joke. But the video is still pretty funny.
Does the bus run through here!?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:51 am

All that work and nobody bit...
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Oenara
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Oenara » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:15 am

How did I miss this epic win?!

Be sure to read the comments on the YT video.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:25 am

Yeah, the comments are great. Gotta give the guy props, he did some nice work there.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:22 pm

I remember watching this on weekdays right after Ursula's Kiss. It was always problematic because my older brother wanted to watch Lain 'n' Pals.

Good times.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:16 am

Good lord, this is painful to listen to.

Hilarious, and very clever, but still...My EARS!

Ugh...I need a stiff drink...
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Elect G-Max
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Riders of the Robeasts

•      
  •      

Postby Elect G-Max » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:12 pm

View Original PostTB3 wrote:Now, I know that yes, RoR is a very loose adaptation of Evangelion, streamlining many plot elements and retconning others out of existence (indeed, many have since stricken the entire show's existence from their memory), but can we leave the whole Serena/Usagi arguments to one side for now and just enjoy the show for what it was: a serious attempt to bring Eva to an international audience at a time when the western world was not ready for more esoteric and serious animation

What? Such a thing exists? THIS... IS... AWESOME!

View Original PostTB3 wrote:I mean, if it weren't for this, we would probably have had to put up with shoddy vid-rips and a mediocre dub from some unknown studio in Texas.

Mediocre? You give them too much credit.

View Original PostTB3 wrote:Also, I must admit, after years of putting up with the whiny, bitchy Shinji Ikari, it's a breath of fresh air to put on an episode of Riders and relax in the company of his counterpart, Shane Icarus, an optimistic young man with a brilliant and supportive father, Gordon Icarus

Yeah yeah, just shut up and post the link already.

View Original PostTB3 wrote:And yes, all of the above was a massive joke.

What? :sniffle:

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Good lord, this is painful to listen to.

Hilarious, and very clever, but still...My EARS!

Ugh...I need a stiff drink...

Still not as painful as ADV/Manga attempts.
"Whatever the story or the development of the characters, I made them without a plan... We only started working on the next script once the previous one was done." - Anno, 1996

"Sometimes, putting your toothbrush in its holder upside down can express your feelings towards life in general, your secret desire to commit suicide, the feelings for your long-lost mother that you never got to know, and your favorite color. But sometimes that toothbrush is simply a toothbrush." - Nuclear Lunchbox

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:04 pm

Ikari -> Icarus

Called it years ago.

SilentOne
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SilentOne » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:28 pm

How. Have. I. Never. Heard. Of. This. Before? Best April Fools' ever!!

This is pretty damn awesome- brings back a feeling of nostalgia when I watched old dubbed anime as a kid! XD Particularly Sailor Moon. "They're best friends! And they're cousins too!"
Evangelion = win.

Return to “Fan Works”