[BOOKS] Carmine (Sadamoto's 3rd Book)

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Riotgear
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Riotgear » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:37 am

My copy of this bugger finally arrived, and I'm quite relieved to find that I am pleased with it - I was worried after reading the opinions of others who purchased the book. The price is hefty, and there is a fair amount of stuff there which is collected elsewhere, but I love the deluxe feeling of the book - it's my first hardcover Eva artbook (I don't count 2015 nor the Complete Works as art books per se). The slipcase is nice, the cover is sweet, the posters are awesome and it's nice to have another 'Just Sadamoto' tome like this.

Fazmotron wrote:also, that pic of Rei is from the cover of Die Sterne

It's quite similar, but not the same picture. Compare it Die Sterne's cover here. Both of these artworks are used pretty frequently, but I believe the Die Sterne cover artwork is a piece that predates Rebuild 1.0, whereas the Carmine print artwork is a promo piece for 1.0.

Oedipusfoot wrote:I would buy Carmine on one condition. Does it have the color pages and cover art for the manga volumes 9-12? And does it have all the paintings he did for the Platinum Dvd covers?

Yes on both counts.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:11 am

Riotgear wrote:
Fazmotron wrote:also, that pic of Rei is from the cover of Die Sterne

It's quite similar, but not the same picture. Compare it Die Sterne's cover here. Both of these artworks are used pretty frequently, but I believe the Die Sterne cover artwork is a piece that predates Rebuild 1.0, whereas the Carmine print artwork is a promo piece for 1.0.

Die Strene is from all the way back in 2003, roughly 3 years before Rebuild was announced.
The Carmine one is the cover for October 2007 Newtype magazine to be exact. You get a cropped version of it in the 1.0 Groundworks book.

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:05 am

Well, atleast I was close, they do look very similar.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Oedipusfoot
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Oedipusfoot » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:15 pm

Oedipusfoot wrote:I would buy Carmine on one condition. Does it have the color pages and cover art for the manga volumes 9-12? And does it have all the paintings he did for the Platinum Dvd covers?

Yes on both counts.[/quote]

Good. Thanks for info, Riotgear. Are they pull page or double-spreads?

How large are the pages? I think someone said they were as big as Die Sterne's.

Riotgear
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Riotgear » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:56 pm

TMBounty_Hunter wrote:Die Sterne is from all the way back in 2003, roughly 3 years before Rebuild was announced.

Seriously?! It's been that long since Die Sterne came out? Far out, the years have rushed by for me... yet I've done nothing with my life D:

Oedipusfoot wrote:Are they full page or double-spreads? How large are the pages? I think someone said they were as big as Die Sterne's.

The artworks that were single page in the manga are single page in Carmine, and the ones that were double page in the manga are double page in Carmine. And yep, same size as Die Sterne.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:05 am

So it's a lot of pics of cartoon girls in tight wet suits or other fetish outfits?

Pass. Though I will grab some of the better drawings when they get pasted online.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:58 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:So it's a lot of pics of cartoon girls in tight wet suits or other fetish outfits?
And you were expecting...?

Actually, you've pretty much summed up what the art book genre is about.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

iamsynch
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby iamsynch » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:25 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:So it's a lot of pics of cartoon girls in tight wet suits or other fetish outfits?

Pass. Though I will grab some of the better drawings when they get pasted online.

At least it's exceptionally well drawn cartoon girls in tight wet suits or other fetish outfits. Some of the stuff out there, I cannot even call art.

Indigo Arcangel
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Indigo Arcangel » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:15 am

I'm actually quite tempted to get this, mostly just to get a full body of Sadamoto's work. I have Der Mond - what other artbooks did he do? Were any of those in English?
Normality is overrated

Kaworu/Asuka - give it a chance!
(Clarification - I still like Asuka/Shinji)

Oedipusfoot
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Oedipusfoot » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:10 pm

He did Alpha and he has some pictures in Die Sterne. Eric Clapton saw Alpha so...maybe it's in English, I don't know. Die Sterne isn't. Even in Japanese they're completely worth it, though.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”