[MANGA] [NGE] New Manga Stage Thread

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:00 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Then why does it always reset?
I don't get it
There's a bug in the forum software. Maybe we'll get it fixed for Final.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:12 pm

IO congrats on getting shitty trip and getting stickied with your shitty trip

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:18 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:IO congrats on getting shitty trip and getting stickied with your shitty trip

It was okay for the first 200 or so posts

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Jayfive » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:36 pm

That /a/ sticky thread is a riot.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:52 pm

View Original PostAsukaShinn wrote:wow, cool bro, can you PM me the link after you uploaded it?

Btw i'm a new member here, nice to meet you guys :D

Can I get a PM as well? EDIT; Nevermind, got it
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

bogusman
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby bogusman » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:05 pm

Finally

whatever the ending is, i'm glad that it ends, after 18 long years... :wink:
uniting us as eva fans, whatever our opinions are :D
it's been so long since i first bought the manga, the first one i bought was the 2nd vol :D
Yea...

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Chrad » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:39 pm

*It sucks
*It's bad
*I hate it

But really, wow, what a conventional ending at the end of such a long (LONG), strange road.

View Original PostStryker wrote:This is far from a happy ending, if you ask me. This is frustrating. It's as if Sadamoto threw everything that was being taught away; Instead of living with what has happened, and letting himself learning from the past, Shinji ran away from his former reality, and created a new one so he didn't have to deal with the fact that life is shitty. He wiped his slate clean, which beats the point of Evangelion: Learning to accept what you are given.

Exactly. It's very much counter to the point of Evangelion. Sadamoto's version doesn't veer away from the original enough for THIS to be an appropriate conclusion. What makes it worse is that it's already been done by RahXephon.

View Original PostKendrix wrote:The whole Asuka thing was basically Yo/sup, I think Shinji and Kensuke have way more of a chance to get back to their previous relationship, since they'll be going to the same school XD
If you wanted to imply romance, wouldn't you have *both* parties having a feeling of Deja vu?
The purpose of the scene is just to show us that ppl other than Shinji are around in the future, and hey, Asuka seems fairly happy, so rejoice about that?

You're spinning it. There's a definite romantic set-up vibe from the big close-ups and stares while they hold hands. Asuka doesn't just appear as a happy figure in the background.

It's a dumb, TV drama-ish scene though. Reminds me of what kids on forums say they'd do to 'fix' the ending of Eva.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:47 pm

He's staring because random metaphysical deja vu feeling.

There are closeups because they don't want to show the face of the mystery girl right away - it's only later that we see that it's Asuka, ie, someone whose fate the audience is probably invested in. Bam! Dramatic closeup.
Basic storytelling.

This isn't a soap opera. You know, perhaps if there had been any sort of indication earlier in the manga - but no such thing.
Quite possible that, by the power of cliche, they end up in the same highschool, and become... you know, buddies, like early in the manga; If we're remotely realistic, they never meet again.
Of course it's not impossible but... the story is basically over.
Anything could happen afterwards, including a random alien invasion.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Chrad » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:54 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:He's staring because random metaphysical deja vu feeling.

There are closeups because they don't want to show the face of the mystery girl right away - it's only later that we see that it's Asuka, ie, someone whose fate the audience is probably invested in.
Basic storytelling.

This isn't a soap opera. You know, perhaps if there had been any sort of indication earlier in the manga - but no such thing.
Quite possible that, by the power of cliche, they end up in the same highschool, and become... you know, buddies, like early in the manga; If we're remotely realistic, they never meet again.

On the contrary, this feels very much like soap opera to me.
The first close-up shots are of their hands meeting. Then, there are big close ups of the characters staring into each other's eyes after it's been established that the girl is Asuka, shots of them blushing, Shinji denying being attracted to her and stammering over his words, staring after her when she leaves. It's checking all the cliche 'first-meeting' boxes in the book. These are tropes that you drop because of the audience's assumed familiarity with them. Basic storytelling. They're used as shorthand to imply what might be coming next, since this is the end of the story.
Of course it's realistic to assume that they'd never meet again, but nothing about the scenario here is 'realistic'. I got a sense of fate drawing all the old gang together. I mean, if you're going by that line, what are the chances that Shinji, Kensuke and Asuka would just so happen to meet up on this one train platform in the newly imagined universe? Of all the people in Tokyo?

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:03 pm

They both seem miffed about Asuka's suggestion that he's hitting on her, which was only a product of her ego to begin with, in a way, a confirmation that this is indeed Asuka.

Like it's impossible for a female and a male to be friends... I mean, I'm not saying he never gave a fuck about her or anything, they fought side by side in an epic war, so of course there's a reaction.

It definitely is possible with relatively little contrievance, but that's all there is, a possibility, among ten-thousand others.
The story is over and it didn't happen.
Last edited by Kendrix on Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Chrad » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:05 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:They both seem miffed about Asuka's suggestion that he's hitting on her, which was only a product of her ego to begin with.

It's typical anime tsundere stuff. She's not really annoyed. He's embarrassed.
Like it's impossible for a female and a male to be friends...

I didn't say or imply that, I just thought Sadamoto is dropping all these meet-cute cliches.

But ultimately, you're right in that it doesn't matter. The ending sucks, and nothing follows it, so who cares?
Last edited by Chrad on Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:10 pm

How can you "secretly like" someone you've just met?
What we see are pretty much their standard reactions to anything.

By that logic, we could claim EoTV for either team, because both girls seem... well, present at the end, which doesn't change that they simply used those 20 mins for more important things than resolving the triangle in a highschool-romancey way.
I tell you, totally a R/S ending! /silly

...But fuck it, I guess that if neither Q nor EoE killed S/A dead, talking at you is pointless.

But yeah, the ending could have been better. The whole reincarnation/distant future deal (even with Yui just mentioning it) strikes me as... Dunno. Wasn't that a science fiction manga a while ago?

...that we're not told what happened to the original Shinji may actually be a good thing...

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Chrad » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:18 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:How can you "secretly like" someone you've just met?

Don't be so literal about the tsundere comment. I'm just referring to the character type you see coming out in that final scene. And have you've never been suddenly attracted to someone upon first meeting them?

By that logic, we could claim EoTV for either team, because both girls seem... well, present at the end, which doesn't change that they simply used those 20 mins for more important things than resolving the triangle in a highschool-romancey way.
I tell you, totally a R/S ending! /silly

I don't see what that has to do with the logic I was using. I was just saying it's a romcom cliche set-up. This stuff is potentially relevant in this ending in a way that it isn't at all in EoTV. Shinji has an open, potentially postive future; he could have a relationship with Asuka or a friendship with Kensuke. These possibilities are suggested, but as the final frame implies, the possibilities are limitless. The characters are all present and happy and we're seeing the first step of a new story.

...But fuck it, I guess that if neither Q nor EoE killed S/A dead, talking at you is pointless.

Q did kill S/A dead. Q is also radically different to this ending, or anything else Eva related, in a huge amount of ways. What does that have to do with this argument again?

But yeah, the ending could have been better. The whole reincarnation/distant future deal (even with Yui just mentioning it) strikes me as... Dunno. Wasn't that a science fiction manga a while ago?

It's a version of the old time travel reset cliche that's been used in many movies, and is popular in anime and manga. Recent examples that spring to mind are The Butterfly Effect, RahXephon, Mirai Nikki and Steins;Gate.
It's a frustratingly conventional ending for Sadamoto's streamlined, but still pretty crazy version of Eva.

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby BiQ » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:13 pm

Many thanks to IO for the translation! And symbv for the Sadamoto commentary.

Anyway... I guess it's a positive ending at the very least. Somehow the cop-out still stings but. Well. Shinji seems a bit less nihilistic now than he was in the beginning of manga. Whatever his psychological growth is based on behind the amnesia barrier, at least he's trying to go forward with his life now.

And about Asuka... well. Unless someone gives me a reason to believe this Myoujyou High school is all-boys school, Asuka is going to go there too. In my head canon at least, bwahahaha! And no, they don't necessarily start going rabu rabu together at any point. Somehow I get the feeling she is also going to the entrance exam there.

And another thing... I just Googled Myoujyou and came up mostly with stuff related to HSOD. -o-; So, they get to fight a zombie outbreak next?? :tongue: (note: I haven't watched HSOD)

tl;dr: FANFIC WRITERS, START YOUR ENGINES!
The art of being grown up, the dirty little secret nobody lets on about, is that it's all about getting comfortable with acting the part, and reaching that point where you stop giving a fuck, and do stuff that needs to be done, because it just needs doing, and ain't nobody else going to do it for you. -Mr. Tines

JasonHRAC
Embryo

Postby JasonHRAC » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:20 pm

If a writer does manage to do a fanfic where they put Evangelion characters in the shoes of the HSOD characters, I say Kensuke should be that gun expert otaku and Misato be the oblivious busty nurse.

...Yeah. Fanfic writers, make magic happen!
And I mean that in the most sexually painful way possible.
If a man talks and a woman's not around to hear it, is he still wrong?
"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion." --Albert Camus
[size=75][color=darkblue]

Rainmaker
Embryo

Postby Rainmaker » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:31 pm

If you switched Asuka with Rei and kept that scene the exact same with the hand motif, and exact dialogue and expressions. I guarantee "the other side" would argue the same argument as the opposing one. In fact, I would guarantee that the other side would go much harder into it with "fate" and all that other stuff. To me, it's simply a small 'hinted potential' end that can develop into something simply (not necessarily romantic) from the basis of it being the typical fiction style storytelling rather than dabbling in "Oh, it's not realistically possible for them to interact again" as a cop-out excuse. The actual purpose is the bookend of the arcade meeting where they first met where they don't expect to see "that stranger" again, to again show some repetition that will lead to something else. Based on actual fiction style nuances, it's a lot more likely that all living parties will see each other again than playing the "realistic" approach. Again, all up to Shinji as the ending tells.

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:43 pm

View Original PostChrad wrote:Q did kill S/A dead.

Pffhahahhahahah. Good one.

Even if you think it did, which you'd be well grounded to, her point was that it didn't kill people shipping LAS for Rebuild, and if even Q couldn't kill people shipping LAS then nothing would.

View Original PostBiQ wrote:And another thing... I just Googled Myoujyou and came up mostly with stuff related to HSOD. -o-; So, they get to fight a zombie outbreak next?? :tongue: (note: I haven't watched HSOD)

Goddamnit. They really can't win, can they? They finally get out of the hellhole that is the Evaverse and work they're way into a seemingly nice, sol high school life, and what do you know but it happens to be the HOTDverse.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:51 pm

View Original PostRainmaker wrote:To me, it's simply a small 'hinted potential' end that can develop into something simply (not necessarily romantic) from the basis of it being the typical fiction style storytelling

No one's denying that, but you gotta realize that this is different from "they got together or most certainly will, let's hand out the beer and celebrate our victory!".

It's just this notion of having the cast back together. (at least the survivors/adolescents) Asuka happens to be a non-trivial part of the cast.

...either way, there is definitely a lot of potential food for fanfic.
S/A fanfic, if you will.

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby LeoXiao » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:32 pm

Yay, found the final chapter and downloaded page by page.
Last edited by LeoXiao on Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Chrad » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:33 pm

Bones really love this type of ending, don't they? I just remembered
SPOILER: Show
Wolf's Rain
Man, what a cliche ending for Eva. This is everything I'm hoping 4.0 won't do.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”