[MANGA] [NGE] New Manga Stage Thread

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:18 pm

View Original Postarael wrote:Indeed... Seems pretty childish to get angry about a comic that didn't went the way we wanted...

What's childish is expecting people to like it just because you do.

The manga is Sadamoto's project, and he can do with it what he likes. But I'm not obliged to like it if it doesn't speak to me on any level, and nor am I obliged to give it praise just because of its connection to the show. There are just too many "wtf?" moments throughout for me to give it a passing grade. Doesn't mean it didn't do anything right, because that's not so; I liked Kaji's background, I liked some of the general worldbuilding, I liked a bit of Shinji's snarkiness. But overall I feel like it stripped out most of NGE's primary themes even while trying to tell the same story, and that just doesn't work. The changes to Shinji and Asuka make this especially problematic.

If you don't see it you don't, but those of us who do aren't being childish about the matter as a result. We're just not impressed with what we've been given and have moved on to other things.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby SEELE-01 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:21 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:What's childish is expecting people to like it just because you do.

I do not seek for you to like it, I just wonder why are you being so critical about it...
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:42 pm

I wouldn't call it childish on anyone's part not to like it. Though it does strike me that the manga has managed to irritate every type of die hard shipper, and the 'Gendo's a good man, kay' crowd. So in my mind that means Sadamoto has made all the right enemies.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:57 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:I wouldn't call it childish on anyone's part not to like it. Though it does strike me that the manga has managed to irritate every type of die hard shipper, and the 'Gendo's a good man, kay' crowd. So in my mind that means Sadamoto has made all the right enemies.

I don't give a damn about shipping. Despite my LAS leanings I'm the guy who consistently argues that there was nothing whatsoever between them prior to EoE, and that Asuka's interest in the guy was more about getting attention than it was anything close to affection. No, what bothers me is the character derailment and the fact that the characters we see described wouldn't make the sorts of decisions needed to make the plot work. Hence "wtf?"
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:13 pm

I think for the last page or so, we should really have been in another thread -- probably http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/4762/Everyones-favorite-manga-topic-again/ or maybe http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/6206/MANGANGE-Whats-the-general-consensus-here/?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:18 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:the 'Gendo's a good man, kay' crowd.

I wouldn't say he's a "good man" by any means, but his depiction in the show is a bit more nuanced than what Sadamoto's done with him.

Note that we're left to scrape together a portrait of the man he had been before Yui's "death", and interpretations here vary widely. It's entirely possible that he wasn't a bad guy at all, but at risk of setting the thread off the rails I'll talk about that someplace else if you're interested.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

Postby gwern » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:27 pm

Too bad _Prano_ will never be translated in full. One of the table of contents entries that Numbers-kun translated for us is... "What's so great about Gendo?" Yes, one wonders!

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:01 am

View Original Postgwern wrote:Blue monday: I'm not sure why you're still hoping.

Some kind of meta-witticism with my sig? Haha.

But yeah, I wouldn't really call it hoping. Just reserving a definitive judgement. Might get a different feel or impression when I read through the entire series again, you know, when I get volumes 13 and 14. Whenever that may be.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

gordanham
Embryo

Postby gordanham » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:45 am

I didn't know if I should make a new topic for this or what, but for those who didn't know, you can check out the cover for Volume 13 here:
http://www.amazon.com/Neon-Genesis-Evangelion-Graphic-Novels/dp/1421552914/ref=pd_sim_b_36

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:51 am

That's a sexy cover...

You've got the right thread too! All manga stuff goes in here, I think.
Warren Peace, #643919

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:17 am

Thanks, gordanham, I think that this thread is fine for any discussions related to the next chapters and probably next volumes as well.

Probably someone else noticed it already but just in case try to compare Shinji's apathetic face in the Renewal cover and his new "badass" face in the cover of the 13th manga volume:
Last edited by Hyper Shinchan on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:16 am

Nice catch on that comparison Shinchan. Definitely more determinism on Shinji's face on the manga cover. Thanks for the link to the image too - I couldn't get a proper look on that Amazon listing...

Seriously though, I can't stop looking at the cover, haha. I love Sadmoto's art! THOSE LINES. Should go bust out Carmine tonight for another look...
Warren Peace, #643919

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:32 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Nice catch on that comparison Shinchan. Definitely more determinism on Shinji's face on the manga cover.

Yeah, I almost immediately wanted to check out that detail because the two illustrations are really similar.
View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Thanks for the link to the image too - I couldn't get a proper look on that Amazon listing...

I merely joined together Amazon's sliced pic, but actually I've just noticed that there's a way to get the original image, I've edited the previous post with the original amazon pic.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:40 am

Was hoping Eva Store or Amazon.Jp had the Manga cover up, but I didn't notice it: http://tinyurl.com/EvaStoreJPNGEVol13 , http://tinyurl.com/AmazonJPNGEVol13

Something about Shinji looks off in that cover, but I'm not sure what it is. (Maybe it's his anime blue undershirt and his manga brown eyes together. :tongue: )
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:11 pm

Actually I think that they showed the cover of the premium limited edition back in May or June. Anyway, full resolution pic and clean version of the same illustration:
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Postby cyharding » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:11 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Probably someone else noticed it already but just in case try to compare Shinji's apathetic face in the Renewal cover and his new "badass" face in the cover of the 13th manga volume:

I beleive that Sadamoto drew both illustrations, so I'm not that surprised he recycled aspects of it for the volume 13 cover.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Jayfive » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:35 pm

All I see now I noticed it is Gendo flipping the bird.

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

Postby gwern » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:37 pm

http://forum.evageeks.org/post/549688/MANGA-NGE-New-Manga-Stage-Thread/?#549688

Sadamoto wrote:Q4: What did you feel when your own child turned fourteen - the same age as Shinji and his peers?

A4: I thought, "my house is so peaceful!" (laughing). Besides that, as I looked on my 14-year-old son, I thought how realistic it was that Shinji was unable to simply pilot a robot super-weapon made to protect the world.

Quoted for truth.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:24 pm

Seems to be some news about New Stages and/or Volume 13 release.

http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/eva/

http://neweva.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-1785.html
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:00 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Seems to be some news about New Stages and/or Volume 13 release.

http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/eva/

One character is hidden from the pic which will be used for the cover in the "standard version" of Volume 13. It will only be revealed in Young Ace Nov issue (to be released Oct 04).

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:http://neweva.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-1785.html

The "premium edition" will be published on Nov 02. The cover art can be found here http://neweva.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-1537.html It contains a pack of 6 postcards and a 50 page Sadamoto art book. The price is 893 Yen.

The "standard edition" will be published on Nov 26 (quite a delay). It does not show its price but Vol.12 is priced at 588 Yen.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”