Translation Requests

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:42 am

RMB is still diligently translating the tale of Shinji and the wolf-men, brave and valiant soul that he is. And, wow, seriously, WTF? It definitely looks like it's been a bitch to translate so far. Take a look, all -- can you make heads or tails of Yamashita's madness?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

RockManBalls
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby RockManBalls » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:01 pm

It's been a bitch. Nothing that's too hard though. What's really annoying is the leaps in time. Aside from making no sense in the first place, it gets kinda hard to follow when the story suddenly appears at an un-designated time with no setup. It almost reads like a screenplay, which makes sense I guess. Biggest challenge is trying to make it sound not too engrishy.

To be honest, I really just haven't had that much time recently, what with the holidays and all. But I've got probably a third left. Hope everyone doesn't mind the wait.

If anyone notices any errors or anything, fire away, just know that it's a work in progress.

RockManBalls
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby RockManBalls » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:46 pm

Double post. Gomen ne.

As I said I would many moons ago, I finally looked over the CI, and honestly, it's very accurate. Whoever said there were a lot of mistakes was just wrong. There were some minor things (four actually) that were incorrect, but like I said, they're really minor. Reichu underwent quite an ordeal I can tell.

Development of EVA, D, first sentence:
“A unit called a core is used to eliminate any discrepancies in the joining of Eva, the body of a God, with that of a soul-having human being/a human's soul.”

EVA Unit-01, B:
No big deal, but it says she desired to undergo the contact experiment for Unit-01, specifically. You basically wrote that though.

Gendo Ikari, D, third sentence:
“He moves as to not arouse suspicion/reveal his treasonous intent.”

Second Impact, B, first sentence:
It's written that mankind found a humanoid life-form, not specifically a human.
----

I swear to God I'll finish Sore o Nasumono before I die. I need to edit the shite out of what I've written so far anyway.

P.S. I'm nearly finished with my own version of subtitles for Rebuild 1.0 (just waiting for blu-ray so as to add any new dialogue). Fansubs so far have just sucked balls, I don't know how else to say it, and waiting for Funi's release will be some 5-6 months after blu-ray. If anyone cares, I'll post them here.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:45 pm

I'd be interested in some custom subs if you could post them here or PM them. I think with the CI, it was probably just people complaining for the sake of it. Although I am wondering, ARE there any contradictions with the different file levels that make glaringly obvious mistakes, unlike something like one file saying "Adam" is in TD while another states it's really Lilith?

I know what you mean about trying not to make things Engrishy, I struggle with that when translating too. @_@

Kick ass job so far with Sore o Nasumono, it's crazy but interesting.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Lagann
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lagann » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Reichu wrote: Take a look, all -- can you make heads or tails of Yamashita's madness?

Thank God Anno directed the series.

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:00 pm

it started out sounding pretty cool, i thought they were doing that whole "with 4 evas youguys could take over the world" scenario Misato thinks up

and then the wolf people came....smells of bad fanfic

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:59 pm

RMB: Muchas gratias for looking over that for me; I really appreciate it. I expected a seriously longer list, but I guess I'm not surprised if ORAMI?! from way back when was just full of hot air.

"Ordeal" is a good word for it, yes. -o-;

“A unit called a core is used to eliminate any discrepancies in the joining of Eva, the body of a God, with that of a soul-having human being/a human's soul.”

Ahh, I see what I did there... "魂たる人間"? Based on the nothing I know (I never completely "got" たる), it makes it look like they're saying a person is a soul or something.

EVA Unit-01, B:
No big deal, but it says she desired to undergo the contact experiment for Unit-01, specifically. You basically wrote that though.

I think I rearranged things a little because it looked repetitive/weird otherwise. I'll, uh, try to fix that...

Second Impact, B, first sentence:
It's written that mankind found a humanoid life-form, not specifically a human.

"Hitogata", durrrrrr...... Beats me how that one happened.

There are still a number of items that I feel "uncertainty" (in that "just WTF is this supposed to mean?" or "gee, that sure sounds funny" kind of way) about. Just a couple of examples:

>An Eva is a vessel for a soul that has abandoned human form, and a magnification of the ego, i.e., the embodiment of a large human being.
>エヴァとは人の形を捨てた魂の入れ物であり、自我の拡大=大きな人間として具現化したものである。
>I always thought this line sounded so utterly weird (MAGNIFICATION OF THE EGO! EMBODIMENT OF LARGE HUMAN!) I could never be sure whether the underlying concept was simple or not...

>As the world is formed with spirals, the engine acquires energy from its shape, which is the same as DNA.
>世界は螺旋で出来ており、DNAと同じその形からエネルギーを得ている。
>"The world is formed with spirals"? We wracked our brains long and hard trying to figure this out -- "is this a reference to some crackpot version of string theory? what??" Ever since Gurren Lagann debuted, people tend to forget that this bit of weirdness came first.

>Seele's intention for this man-made god is to guide the elite (themselves) to a nearly divine place.
>ゼーレはこの人の作りし神によって、優良な者(自分達)を神に近いところへ導くつもりであった。
> I wasn't sure exactly how to translate 神に近いところ. What are the possibilities here? (My various uses of "divine"/"divinity" in the translation are partially a result of me getting sick to death of seeing 神 everywhere and feeling funny about making it something "god" every time.)

>まだ足りないものこそいくつかあるが、その部分さえどうにかすれば、人は神か、あるいはそれに限りなく近い存在を手に入れることが出来ると思われた。 それは人の足りない部分を補完する事で神への道が開かれるというゼーレの教義でもある。 人は神を拾ったら、何をするか。自分も神になろうと思ったのである。
>As yet, the Evas are surely insufficient in number. However, as long as that part was somehow accomplished, people thought that they could procure gods, or, at least, entities very nearly so.
That is also Seele's gospel: opening the Path to God by complementing the part that people are missing. If people gathered up the gods, what would happen? They thought that they could become a god themselves.
> I was really BSing my way through this one. It made absolutely no sense to me at all. If you could explain it to me to, that would make me feel a little better. -o-;

>カヲルにしてみればエヴァは自分の身体の一部だから、自由に扱える。ただし、中には入れない。なぜならその身体には、魂(パイロットの母の)があるからである。
>Because the Evas are a part of Kaworu's own body, he can manipulate them freely. However, he cannot go into them, for the reason that there are souls (the pilots' mothers) within the bodies.
>"Cannot go into them"? Oh dear, that sounds wrong. Surely there must be a better way.

Yeah, I think that's a start...

I swear to God I'll finish Sore o Nasumono before I die.

:lol: And then... you have Anima to look forward to!

If anyone cares, I'll post [the subtitles] here.

Please do.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Lagann
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lagann » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:42 pm

Reichu wrote:That is also Seele's gospel: opening the Path to God by complementing the part that people are missing. If people gathered up the gods, what would happen? They thought that they could become a god themselves.

Didnt CI say that seele s ultimate goal was to place everybodies gathered up souls into Eva 01 so that we would become a God? Maybe its refering to that.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:49 pm

Lagann wrote:Didnt CI say that seele s ultimate goal was to place everybodies gathered up souls into Eva 01 so that we would become a God?
Probably.
Last edited by NAveryW on Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Lagann
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lagann » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:00 pm

From CI-The first step is the completion of Eva — the body of a god and throne of a soul — via the installation of an S² Engine. The interfusion of souls follows. Afterward, our final natural enemy, the Spear of Longinus security device, is annihilated. Thus, that which is nearly divine, or perhaps a god in and of itself, is brought to completion, and, with the Spear gone, cannot be destroyed by anyone.
Seele's intention for this man-made god is to guide the elite (themselves) to a nearly divine place

sorry thats what i thought that meant.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:21 am

@Reichu
>I always thought this line sounded so utterly weird (MAGNIFICATION OF THE EGO! EMBODIMENT OF LARGE HUMAN!) I could never be sure whether the underlying concept was simple or not...
It's seems to me to be something akin to 'executing on more expansive hardware/with access to greater compute resources' -- perhaps something akin to the fate Asuka suffers in my first written NGE fic.

(My various uses of "divine"/"divinity" in the translation are partially a result of me getting sick to death of seeing 神 everywhere and feeling funny about making it something "god" every time.)
The word often used in this context is Power -- or you might use some of the related concepts from the Transhumanist lexicon as context indicates.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:12 am

Mr. Tines wrote:It's seems to me to be something akin to 'executing on more expansive hardware/with access to greater compute resources' -- perhaps something akin to the fate Asuka suffers in my first written NGE fic.

Yeah, but... I never read it...

The word often used in this context is Power -- or you might use some of the related concepts from the Transhumanist lexicon as context indicates.

I don't want to get TOO "out there" with synonyms. There are a lot of cues indicating that they're perverting J-Xian usage, so the trick is putting it all back into English in a way that sticks to the, er, "raping J-Xianity" theme.

Lame reply, I know.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

RockManBalls
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby RockManBalls » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:08 pm

Reichu wrote:"魂たる人間"? Based on the nothing I know (I never completely "got" たる), it makes it look like they're saying a person is a soul or something.

Neither do I, I only knew they were referring to two different items from "to no." I think it's some phrase I've never heard before.

I always thought this line sounded so utterly weird (MAGNIFICATION OF THE EGO! EMBODIMENT OF LARGE HUMAN!) I could never be sure whether the underlying concept was simple or not...

Well, "ookina ningen" can also mean an adult, or someone who has realized into adulthood or success, like, "I'm in the big leagues now." I know I've heard it said in a religious sense before... Kind of like Eva is an enlargement of the ego and the personification of a supreme person/being. I'm not good with the psychological gobbledygook.

"The world is formed with spirals"? We wracked our brains long and hard trying to figure this out -- "is this a reference to some crackpot version of string theory? what??" Ever since Gurren Lagann debuted, people tend to forget that this bit of weirdness came first.

As weird as it sounds, what you wrote is what's being expressed: "As with other spirals occuring naturally in the physical world, the S2 engine creates/uses energy through it's structure, the same as [the double helix of] DNA." I have no idea why they think the spiral is a source of infinite energy. And I also don't know why the Japanese are obsessed with spirals, because they do show up in myths and various terms, food even. The manga/movie Uzumaki displays some of this craziness.

I wasn't sure exactly how to translate 神に近いところ. What are the possibilities here? (My various uses of "divine"/"divinity" in the translation are partially a result of me getting sick to death of seeing 神 everywhere and feeling funny about making it something "god" every time.)

神に近いところ just means a state close to Godliness/divinity. I gathered that was the reason you used references to divinity. I understood the meaning.

I was really BSing my way through this one. It made absolutely no sense to me at all. If you could explain it to me to, that would make me feel a little better. -o-;

Sure. Here's how I would write it: "Still, there is something humanity lacks. Seele believed they had through Eva what was necessary to fill-in that which was missing; to make man into a God, or at least into an eternal existence. Completing an incomplete humanity, and opening up a path to divinity, is Seele's doctrine. What would happen if people were gathered/collected into something of a God? Seele believed we would become God himself."

That's not perfect, I know, but I think most of the confusion comes from the first sentence. 足りないもの means something that's missing and その部分さえどうにかすれば is a real faggoty way to say "if there is a way of filling-in/completing that missing part," and 人は神か、あるいはそれに限りなく近い存在 "people into Gods, or a way to a never-ending existence," 手に入れることが出来ると思われた "They thought they had what was needed to be able to." Hope that helps.

"Cannot go into them"? Oh dear, that sounds wrong. Surely there must be a better way.

"He cannot unite his spirit with Eva?" I dunno. How does one describe a soul going into a souless robot...?

Lagann
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lagann » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:03 pm

Hey RMB, did you ever finish the subtitles for rebuild?

Oedipusfoot
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Oedipusfoot » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:33 pm

Alright, I know this isn't a translation request or anything, but I was doing a doujinshi a while ago and I came across this. I can't find a meaning for it other than something very literal that doesn't make sense. Has anyone in their travels come across this compound?

斜断

It's verb since it ends with 'shite kureru.'

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Baz » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:54 pm

I've never seen the word, but best guess from the kanji is "oblique slice" or "oblique fracture".
I'm just a weabo with a dictionary, so YMMV.
Software Error. Press left mouse button to continue.
Guru Meditation #00000004.0000AAC0

Oedipusfoot
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Oedipusfoot » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:54 pm

Baz wrote:I'm just a weabo with a dictionary, so YMMV.

Thanks for the input anyway, Baz. I didn't put the word in context anyway, so...

I just realized I could post this somewhere else where I'd have a better change of getting an answer.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:18 pm

RockManBalls wrote:P.S. I'm nearly finished with my own version of subtitles for Rebuild 1.0 (just waiting for blu-ray so as to add any new dialogue). Fansubs so far have just sucked balls, I don't know how else to say it, and waiting for Funi's release will be some 5-6 months after blu-ray. If anyone cares, I'll post them here.

that would be awesome, gonna need those subs when my BD arrives.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:00 am

View Original PostRockManBalls wrote:I swear to God I'll finish Sore o Nasumono before I die.
I trust you. I'll wait.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Evangelion Full-length OP

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:41 pm

I see on the Evacommentary.org site that there's a partial translation ( http://evacommentary.org/full-op/full-op.html ) of some the text captions (for lack of a better term) in the full-length OP found on the R2J Test-Type DVD (KIBA-1000). Could someone translate the rest of them? There's about 30 or so screens in all...

Here's a YouTube video of it, for those curious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwC0_blstQo

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”