Evangelion References and Homages

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:17 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Also, the band has an upcoming film: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Instrumentality_Project_%28film%29
It hasn't been called that in quite a while now. The official title is In God We Trust. Someone should really edit that Wikipedia page. Not me, though. I don't fix problems; I just complain about them.

Also, here's this:

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:34 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:No idea if this was mentioned before (I'd think so) but the band Fightstar apparently has various Eva-titled songs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fightstar (One song is called "Shinji Ikari", another is called "Nerv/Seele").

Also, the band has an upcoming film: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Inst ... %28film%29

They MUST be Eva fans (though for the record I haven't heard any of their music before)!

Indeed; according to the articles, they've also got a song called "Unfamiliar Ceilings", and one of their albums, "Grand Unification", is apparently supposed to be a concept album about Eva. And while with any other band I'd think it was a major stretch, given the number of Eva references they've stuck into their titles, I wouldn't doubt if their album "Be Human" got its name from "At Least, Be Human", and I can easily guess what the song title "H.I.P. (Enough)" stands for. ;)

With that said, though, the (admittedly little) research I put into them after discovering their existence a few months back led me to conclude that other than the titles there isn't really a whole lot of Eva-ness to the actual songs. "Unfamiliar Ceilings" is about sleeping around and having lots of sex, if I remember right.

They also have songs called "Lost Like Tears In Rain" and "Where's The Money, Lebowski?", so I think it's more just a case of them writing a song and then picking a name for it from a show or movie they think is cool.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:11 am

@NAveryW: That thermal expansion picture probably isn't really an Evangelion reference. Despite the fact that both shows (whatever show that is (in fact, I'm wondering. What show is that from?)) use thermal expansion as an innuendo/sexual joke, I think that it wouldn't be an uncommon thing to include in a show, unless this show (whatever it is) is known to make Evangelion references.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:19 am

Sachi wrote:@NAveryW: That thermal expansion picture probably isn't really an Evangelion reference. Despite the fact that both shows (whatever show that is (in fact, I'm wondering. What show is that from?)) use thermal expansion as an innuendo/sexual joke, I think that it wouldn't be an uncommon thing to include in a show, unless this show (whatever it is) is known to make Evangelion references.
Both facets of your post are addressed here.

Indeed, it may not be a reference, but this thread's already so full of "This may not be a 'reference' per se, but..." that one more couldn't possibly make that much difference. =3

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Holy Diver » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:51 am

esselfortium wrote: "Unfamiliar Ceilings" is about sleeping around and having lots of sex, if I remember right.

Yeah, pretty much. Good band their last album was great. I think it had a Ghost in the Shell reference too.
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:25 pm

I'll just, uh, leave this here.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:14 pm

just how many homages to this scene we have already? I wonder if this is most "copied" scene in whole show...

JimmyWolk
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby JimmyWolk » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:44 pm

Uh, isn't the "Oh noes I'm late, had no time for breakfast, so I run to school with a toast in mouth" just a general cliche that Eva just happened to pick up as well?

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:00 pm

JimmyWolk wrote:Uh, isn't the "Oh noes I'm late, had no time for breakfast, so I run to school with a toast in mouth" just a general cliche that Eva just happened to pick up as well?

I haven't seen single pre-eva example in anime :shrug:

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:05 pm

JimmyWolk wrote:just a general cliche
I'd always assumed so.

Admittedly the earliest example I can cite off-hand (Rio in one of the BurnUp/Whatever EDs) isn't a clincher, since that franchise is itself rife with EVA homages.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:07 pm

yeah, I've got the impression these may be homages because they're often in shows that contain other eva homages/parodies and that toast runningt is not all that rarely combined with crashing into someone in very AU 26 like fashion...

JimmyWolk
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby JimmyWolk » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:37 pm

Xard wrote: I haven't seen single pre-eva example in anime :shrug:
SSD might correct me, but I'm pretty sure Usagi had such a scene. ^^;

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:59 pm

xard that whole scene had the same alternate universe vibes. I was having the same exact thoughts while watching that scene as when i first watched ep 25.

"Are they really doing this?"

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:39 pm

There's definitely instances of males doing that, Maison Ikkoku for example (and probably Yatsura Urusei, but I can't recall a specific scene). Also Hikaru from Orange Road. I think it also happened in Tenchi, but I can't recall a scene.

Eva didn't invent this.

There was an instance of this in Kanokon that made it to the tributes page because that was blatantly obvious, she's wearing the same outfit, she runs into the male protagonist and gets knocked down, she covers her skirt, she calls him a pervert.

What else in Darker than Black 2 were there Eva homages?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:31 pm

JimmyWolk wrote:
Xard wrote: I haven't seen single pre-eva example in anime :shrug:
SSD might correct me, but I'm pretty sure Usagi had such a scene. ^^;

I forget which episode, but she does have one or two scenes in season 1 and then the "Character/plot introduction" which is included for all the episodes until a huge revelation in Season 1 has an image of Usagi running while eating or some such thing.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:49 pm

Xard wrote:
JimmyWolk wrote:Uh, isn't the "Oh noes I'm late, had no time for breakfast, so I run to school with a toast in mouth" just a general cliche that Eva just happened to pick up as well?
I haven't seen single pre-eva example in anime :shrug:
The 1986/87 comedy flick Project A-Ko showed this IIRC (and if IT didn't I'm sure one of its sequels did), and Project A-Ko was itself a parody of just about everything anime-related at the time.

honsou
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby honsou » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:18 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVWq-vTIt4U (skip to 5:50)

Kazushi Sakuraba: The most bad ass fan of evangelion/most bad ass person to ever cosplay as Shinji ever.

Sammaeloo
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Sammaeloo » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:00 am

I loved the part when the mask was thrown into crowd and people scrambled for it.
Seize the day.....by the throat....
I hate mcdonalds because their mascot is a creepy spooky clown who looks like he smells funny. Seriously every time I see ronald I think he's secretly some sort of rapist who turns people into hamburgers. Also their food sucks. -Defectron
Our plumbing is messed up and my dad will not call anybody because he's a cheap asshole. Fuck you old man, fucking call someone. Some of us want to stay sanitary. -backseatjesus

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Wed May 05, 2010 11:51 pm

In the hentai manga, Virgin Night, by Yutaka Tanaka, there is a shot of a PenPen bobblehead in the background.
Last edited by The Goose on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Thu May 20, 2010 2:53 pm

So, I'm playing through 3D Dot Game Heroes and when I get the gold ring it says "This lessens all damage you sustain. The effect is called an Abnormous Terror Field." There are also references to Ranma, DeathNote, and tons of video games in here.

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”